Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Reccomend Me Some Speakers.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Shmithers

Shmithers
  • Members
  • 323 posts
Hey all if you are so kind, I would love a recommendation for a sound setup (speakers, amp, card):

Budget:
$500 - $700CAD max.

Use:
Music, Gaming, and movie watching (in order of use amount)

Room size:
375 Square Feet (roughly)

Additional Info:
I would be using these speakers primary off of my computer, so I suppose I would need a sound card or external USB sound card of some sort.

Thank you so much!

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
What genres of music? What types of movies? This will help determine the focus on super deep bass

Shmithers

Shmithers
  • Members
  • 323 posts
QUOTE (DHC @ Oct 5 2010, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What genres of music? What types of movies? This will help determine the focus on super deep bass

Movies: 70% action movies (LOTR, Avatar, Riddick, etc...) The rest would be mostly drama and comedy.

Music: 65% rock (modern, classic, power), The rest would be everything else, pop, jazz, classical etc...

I'm pretty sure I would want a separate sub-woofer. If it costs too much maybe I could get a set of speakers now that work decently on their own, and save up for a sub later?

EDIT: Long term I'm saving up for something similar to the Benq W2000 for movies.

Edited by Shmithers, 06 October 2010 - 01:17 PM.

Shmithers

Shmithers
  • Members
  • 323 posts
I know its typically BM to double post, I checked over the forum rules and found nothing specifically saying I can't. I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions for some speakers. Right now I'm thinking 2 x YSM2P Yorkvilles, an M-Audio FastTrack USB sound card, and maybe some cheap car sub if I can afford it, or i'll just wait on the sub.

Thoughts?

BlG_BALLS

BlG_BALLS
  • Members
  • 222 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:autoplay
QUOTE (Shmithers @ Oct 18 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know its typically BM to double post, I checked over the forum rules and found nothing specifically saying I can't. I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions for some speakers. Right now I'm thinking 2 x YSM2P Yorkvilles, an M-Audio FastTrack USB sound card, and maybe some cheap car sub if I can afford it, or i'll just wait on the sub.

Thoughts?

Car sub wouldn't be a bad idea,but,you'll have Ohms to deal with I.E. typically Ohms in a car/12 volt direct system are 4 ohms,where as alternating current 120 volt home systems are anywhere from 8-16 Ohms. Some receivers have switches which can switch between 4-16 Ohms.

I have a Z5500 Logitech System that I use for my puter,and it's more than ample for my needs. I have a killer setup in other room for watching movies,but won't go into details as it deviates from this post,and your budget.

Shmithers

Shmithers
  • Members
  • 323 posts
QUOTE (BlG_BALLS @ Oct 18 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Car sub wouldn't be a bad idea,but,you'll have Ohms to deal with I.E. typically Ohms in a car/12 volt direct system are 4 ohms,where as alternating current 120 volt home systems are anywhere from 8-16 Ohms. Some receivers have switches which can switch between 4-16 Ohms.

I have a Z5500 Logitech System that I use for my puter,and it's more than ample for my needs. I have a killer setup in other room for watching movies,but won't go into details as it deviates from this post,and your budget.

Not to necro, but I have a legit question: Do you think I could use an old computer power supply for powering the sub?

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (Shmithers @ Oct 27 2010, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to necro, but I have a legit question: Do you think I could use an old computer power supply for powering the sub?

a sub needs to be "powered" by an amplifier, not pure DC (which would melt the voice coil)

Shmithers

Shmithers
  • Members
  • 323 posts
QUOTE (DHC @ Oct 27 2010, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a sub needs to be "powered" by an amplifier, not pure DC (which would melt the voice coil)

Sorry I meant power the amp brian.png

I guess at the point of buying the car sub, amp box, i might as well buy a powered home theater amp

Edited by Shmithers, 27 October 2010 - 08:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users