Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Journey Into Chemical Free (health)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta
I am bored, my favorite TF2 server is full, and I'm too tired to go out. Gonna bring some real talk.

There's a growing movement out there and a lot of people from the crowd I've recently become a part of are talking about it. People have been actively cutting out artificial shit from their diet for a while but now the hip thing is to cut them out of your life entirely. For the past few months I've been transitioning into this.

A disclaimer and some opening words/trufax
I am not a luddite. Nor am I a hippie. Tyler Durden was a badass but ideologically he was kind of a fag. Technology is awesome, if we didn't have it life would suck cock and humanity would be worthless. My avatar is Daedalus and if him and Icarus/Helios were real I'd totally be on their side. But the reality is that the human body, genetically, is fucking dumb and probably still thinks it's in the ice age. It just doesn't know what the fuck to do with all these artificial chemicals because they haven't been around for long at all and certainly aren't part of the natural environment.

Diet
I'll keep this short since it's been talked about in other threads by people that know more than me (but aren't true experts, but have hopefully read more than me). Eating things with HFCS is a bad idea. A lot of preservatives, namely sodium benzoate, are hypothesized to be carcinogenic to humans (cancer causing). Are those sodas really worth the possibility of cancer? Well I'm inclined to agree with you because they are fucking delicious, but the bottom line is will power, or at least moderation. If you have vitamin deficiencies don't pop pills, they don't work and are bad for you. Just eat good veggies and meat. A lot of people in NA and Europe have Vitamin D deficiencies because there isn't much sun where they live and when there is they stay inside too much or wear a lot of clothes. The solution? well obviously go get a tan or wear less clothes but if you live in a shithole like me, thats not always an option. During the winter eat a lot of fatty fish, if you dont like that eat livers, or natural liver oil. Don't like that? Mushrooms and eggs have a decent amount of vitamin D. Don't like that? you're fucked. I eat a lot of bananas, oranges, mangoes, spinach, carrots, and brussels sprouts. steamed spinach or brussels sprouts drenched in melted butter is hella bomb and good for you. I like how this turned out to be the longest section even though I said I'd keep it short...

Acne
This is a heavy hitter and deserves to be second because I see a lot of nerds (myself included) who have struggled with acne. It fuckin sucks and you'll never get a straight answer from your doc unless he's a homie and is down with the trufax. Most will say "oh its just puberty here eat these dubious pills or spread this fucking awful, caustic shit on your face." The truth is there is no single cause for acne, but rather a laundry list of circumstances. And these are they..

-Diet aka Oh great now this faggot is going to lecture me more on what I should eat: High glycemic loads and food allergies are strongly tied to acne. This means stop eating too much carbohydrates and sugar and take it easy on the milk/nuts/shellfish. If you can afford it see an allergist. They can run a blood test and see if you have any current food allergies. I've never had any problems since I changed what I ate so I dont really know how this works. However, dairy is a common allergy and a lot of people won't know it's fucking them up their whole life. Also, milk contains the Insulin-like bovine growth factor 1, a hormone which has been connected to acne.

-Hormones: There's pretty much nothing you can do about this other than eat clean and don't TAKE hormones. Pretty easy tbh.

-Skin producing too much oil: wash your face often and always whenever it feels oily.

-Bacteria: clean your pillowcases often and don't put your hand all over your face.

-Skin irritation and inflammation: and this is the one that is most relevant to the thread. DO NOT: scratch or pick at any current acne. When you shave, use shaving cream or soap and always go with the grain, and don't press down on the razor. Don't put your skin under any stress. And DON'T use any acne treatment. Pretty much all of it contains chemicals that you don't want to leave on your body for an extended period of time. The biggest one out there is benzoyl peroxide which has found its way in many many brands. The bottom line is it dehydrates your skin, causing irritation, and simply worsening acne.

-Stress: take it easy, and get PLENTY of sleep. This is when your body does a lot of maintenance. It's called beauty sleep for a reason.

What do I do then, if I am already a current sufferer? Aside from doing all the things I've listed above, nothing. Eat clean, and make sure you get a LOT of vitamins A and D, which contribute to skin health. Eat plenty of omega 3s, and natural coconut products, preferably coconut oil, and berries. These have all been marked as mild anti-inflammatory agents. Eat a lot of protein and natural collagen. These are the building blocks of your body. If your body is in working order, it will fight acne itself and the scars will heal quickly. It happened to me.

Oral health
Things like flouride, triclosan, alcohol, and some abrasives are harsh on your mouth and can lead to poor gum health. I have had sensitive gums for most of my life, in the top left my gums will bleed if I brush too hard. I can't say for myself conclusively that artificial oral hygiene products are to blame, but people out there do believe so. For a few months now I've been using miswak instead of a toothbrush/toothpaste. I learned about it in middle school, where a huge part of the student body were somalians or simply muslims. What it is is the root of the Peelu tree which grows in africa. Miswak has been used for centuries by muslims. It works. There are natural ingredients in the root which facilitate gum health, prevent cavaties, and kill germs. Depending on what I've been eating, most of the time it leaves my mouth very fresh. It will always do the job of getting plaque off my teeth, but sometimes I need a bit more oomph to make my breath really fresh. For this I either brush with a normal toothbrush and baking soda or...

homemade mouthwash: mix vodka and cinnamon and store it in the fridge for a while. Alcohol still isn't very good for your mouth, but its not THAT bad if you don't have it there often. Alcohol is hydrophilic, meaning it sucks the moisture from anything it touches. This is why it burns your mouth and throat. Dehydrating your mouth isn't very smart but it kills germs very effectively and combined with the cinnamon leaves an awesome aftertaste. I use this for dates, parties, or interviews if I feel like I could need it.

Hair
Shampoo and Conditioner are pretty expensive. You can get the cheapo brands if you want, but the fact of the matter is it's not necessary at all. No animal uses shampoo or conditioner. They wash with water, and thats what we should do. That's what I do. For the first few weeks or possibly even months of washing with only water, your hair will feel oily and you will want to quit and the length of this period depends on how much chemicals you've used and how long/thick your hair is. After a while, it will feel normal again. I usually keep my hair short and I've never had a problem with keeping it fragrant or having dandruff.

I've read some people use baking soda as shampoo and use vinegar as condish. You can try this if you want but I'm not speaking with experience on it.

Pits
Most deodorants contain aluminum which is hypothesized to be bad for you. Armpit skin is thin and sensitive and you may absorb whatever you put there into your bloodstream. I'm not really that hip to this so I usually still use deodorant, but only if I'm about to be around girls. Otherwise, I either don't use anything at all (I rather enjoy the smell of my own manhood) or a little bit of baking soda. You really only need a pinch, it's a powerful anti-bacterial agent.

Soap
Some people in this movement are afraid of soap because well you put it all over your body. I, on the other hand don't really care since it's on your skin for such a short amount of time. Soap is pretty cheap anyways and I don't feel like covering my body in baking soda, it seems cumbersome. But if you want to cut the chemicals here too, there are natural soaps out there made from olive oil and other natural ingredients. There's also lots of recipes for making your own soap tyler durden style. (two unrelated references to him in one post, CHYEAH)

Lotion
I don't use it because I'm not a faggot nor a woman, but olive oil and coconut oil works. Olive oil I imagine is more for moisturizing and not fragrance (I dont like the smell of olive oil). But coconut oil would work for both.

PEELZ
Avoid them if you can. When being diagnosed, prescribed etc. Always look for natural alternatives or found out if you can do something that makes treatment unecessary. Bottom line is drugs are new and 99% of them have awful shitty side effects because they are unnatural and don't belong in the body or the environment. There are lists upon lists of natural anti-inflammatory agents and foods. For me, the miracle drug is weed. It cures depression, lack of appetite, insomnia, its a pain reliever, and it curbs stress. These are really the only ailments I ever have (aside from depression which I haven't had since I was a wheat and sugar eater) smoking isn't healthy obviously but you can vaporize, cook it in something fatty, or drink it as green dragon, with no negative effects.
The Blackman is God

حشّاشين Ghost

حشّاشين Ghost
  • Members
  • 1,453 posts
  • Interests:Ive been playing games before I could barley talk , I love playing all sports, and have been a mixed martial artist for almost over 2 years.
  • Steam ID:j_sunnner_1
Holy tits.

Patchy

Patchy
  • Members
  • 551 posts
  • Steam ID:Kilo November
Good thread. I'm going to mostly rant here.

I'm definitely feeling you on diet. In the past couple of years I've slowly started to eat healthier and healthier, and recently started taking some serious strides in cutting a lot of garbage out of my diet. When you sit back and think about it, it's really kind of unsettling the weird stuff people eat on a regular basis, especially here in N. America, but around the world as well. I'm certainly no expert on the subject and I can't prove a causal connection, but with all the health problems people have I can't help but look at the slew of chemicals and processed ingredients in your average persons diet with suspicion. The way I see it, at best it's just not a good idea to eat the stuff, and at worse it will actually make you sick. Since I started looking into (and subsequently working to eliminate) what was in most everything I used to eat, I'm honestly concerned by how it seems to be everywhere. I have to make a concerted effort in a regular grocery store to find food that I don't consider garbage (even in the produce section, they hide the organic stuff in the fucking corner). The vast majority of people I see around me while shopping don't make such effort. People are lazy, and if it's hard to eat good they evidently won't.

People also need to be told, over and over, to do something. And even then they probably won't do it. I keep hearing more and more ad campaigns about the danger of eating shitty food, how it will give you heart disease (they should just tell you it will give you a massive MI with ST segment changes in all 12 leads and you will drop dead, but I can't have everything), and how you should eat more fruits and vegetables. I think these ad campaigns should go further and really hammer home the point that there is a lot of stuff bombarding consumers that they just should not eat. Scare a bitch if you have to, like the smoking ads. Some of you might disagree with my here on this point, but the only real information thrown at me I trust regarding food comes from the Government. Anything produced by the product itself is obviously going to be biased and they can pay anyone with a degree to say anything. I've found some detailed, informative stuff on the Health part of my Governments website. Sure it's a little dry, but I have an easier time trusting their scientists when they aren't trying to sell me something. Sure you can get into some theories of Government officials being in with corporations and secretly pulling the strings to achieve their agenda. I'll just tell you to put on your tinfoil hat because I seriously doubt it. Information can only go so far though, and I know there is an economic side to the coin as well. And that is what really pisses me off. It's just cheaper to eat terribly. It's going to continue to be cheaper to eat bad food until more and more people get on board with organic, not processed, whole foods. Since demand is low(er) for real food, the price is high. But high demand shit food is cheap.

Triple threat: people are lazy, people need to be told, and it's just cheaper to eat yourself to death.

Depending on what I've seen throughout the day, I'll either be scathing and consider all people lazy, or I'll actually feel kind of bad about the state of things. Today I'm feeling pretty sympathetic and caring, so I'll feel bad for people. Honestly, if our grocery stores were full of food that was just good for people, I think people would be healthier, happier, and just live better lives. But then it comes down to the effort aspect, I guess. Then I can't really feel bad for people. I'm making the effort to eat healthy and exercise daily, and I feel great for it. It's just sad that the eating healthy part involves wading through a sea of shit at the store.

You would think, as a medic, I want the population to be sick and dying for job security - but I'm not that evil.

The rest of your chemical free stuff, I'm less on board with. Personal hygiene stuff like shampoo, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc I think falls under the same category you put soap in: not in contact with mucous membrane / skin long enough to matter. Assuming you rinse your mouth with water after you brush / use mouthwash (most people probably don't). Deodorant can probably get dicey, but I'm in contact with people that smell weird enough as it is. I don't want to add my own BO to the sometimes noxious cloud that can occur in the back of an ambulance. I might try your baking soda thing (sounds weird to me). For the girlz though, fuck it, I want to get laid. Deodorant on.

Pills. Medications. I don't know where I stand on this. I would hope Doctors (especially GP's) are cautious when prescribing medications, but I don't have many prescribed to me so I can't really talk about it. Old people can be on a list of meds a mile long, but those are usually treating some pretty serious conditions. If medications are being prescribed to shut hypochondriacs up, I could see that being a problem. Still, not sure where I am on this. Medications, when used properly, do some pretty amazing things. That being said, long term exposure to them probably isn't good.. But if that long term exposure is keeping your cardiac dysrhythmia in check, you probably don't care.

Also, fuck yeah Daedalus. That avatar/sig combo is pimp. I want to steal it.

Edited by Patchy, 21 September 2010 - 04:23 AM.

I'm right behind you, Mr. Denton.

Bl!ndf!re

Bl!ndf!re
  • Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • xfire:tehlickerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2

QUOTE (Husky @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A couple of Mutas softened up to the red, a couple of other Mutas softened up to the black, cause they're dead.

QUOTE (slartibartfast of earth @ Sep 28 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ps my disablity in my hands makes my typing crap sry

QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd hit it tbh. Especially if it's dead.

حشّاشين Ghost

حشّاشين Ghost
  • Members
  • 1,453 posts
  • Interests:Ive been playing games before I could barley talk , I love playing all sports, and have been a mixed martial artist for almost over 2 years.
Will read after class.

Intraframe

Intraframe
  • Members
  • 3,142 posts
  • xfire:mark101mmmmd
  • Interests:Games (obviously), fps, rts, and a few RPG's Also enjoy soccer, both playing and watching.
  • Steam ID:Intraframe
  • Wii:5242563695984198
QUOTE (Jimmy Rabbitte @ Sep 21 2010, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hair

Soap

lolwut?
Come at me bro

Ceres

Ceres
  • Members
  • 153 posts
Good post, some things i want to throw in

Diet
- All forms of cooking produce AGEs (Heat created toxins when sugar binds with protein) I could really fill a couple of pages just on the poisons one can create when cooking. There is some good news, dehydrating, boiling, and steaming seem to be alright and not produce many AGEs.

- Lots of foods contain anti-nutrients and poisons, these being all grain, nuts, and most vegetables. If eating grain try to get it sprouted or sourdough, if eating nuts soak them then dehydrate, or eat them sprouted. Vegetables are a different matter as they contain different poisons in different families, you have your nightshades, read about it here - http://www.westonapr...ightshades.html , Your crucifer vegetables - http://www.westonapr...-the-cross.html , and a more general post - http://www.westonapr...-bite-back.html

Acne
- Agree with all your posts
- If all else fails your liver is probably backed up

Oral Health
- Most products are bullshit, if you arent eating much carbs you won't have to brush your teeth near as much. All you need is a toothbrush, either salt, baking soda or hydrogen peroxide.

-People don't think that a toothpaste or mouthwash can't hurt them if they don't swallow it, but the sublingual method of your mouth would say otherwise, much gets absorbed straight into the blood stream.

Hair
- Agreed, i still use a good shampoo though because i use product in my hair

Pits
- I haven't worn deodorant or cologne for years and i actually get comments on smelling good, i may on occasion use baking soda if i know things may get a little vigorous

Soap
- Not really needed, removes your own oils. I only use it if i have something i can't get off with water and a scrub, or to wash my ass icon_smile.gif

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
in b4 someone backs up modern medicine and conventional doctors

Pits
- I haven't worn deodorant or cologne for years and i actually get comments on smelling good, i may on occasion use baking soda if i know things may get a little vigorous

Also, this is a damned lie. I know you were wearing something that day I said something. Its a colonge that you were wearing. You used to wear it in Toronto as well, and your diet was poor then.

Edited by Plasmic Fury, 21 September 2010 - 10:49 AM.

Ceres

Ceres
  • Members
  • 153 posts
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Sep 21 2010, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
in b4 someone backs up modern medicine and conventional doctors

Also, this is a damned lie. I know you were wearing something that day I said something. Its a colonge that you were wearing. You used to wear it in Toronto as well, and your diet was poor then.

was wearing nothing, may have been the shampoo i used that day

PTrain

PTrain
  • Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • Steam ID:ptrain
  • Xbox / GFWL:aaahhXBOXlive
I can't really comment on a lot of the stuff you talked about but I will say this about oral hygiene.

Since I have horrible teeth I've been intune with dental hygiene for most of my life and I have to say you really should use toothpaste and a tooth brush. And you actually should step it up to an electric tooth brush. Thousands of years ago I'm assuming humans never really delt with brushing their teeth because they didn't have things like pepsi and they didn't live nearly as long.

Think about the act of brushing your teeth. All you are really doing is using a rubbing compound (tooth pase) to polish your teeth. So using miswak kinda does the same stuff except it doesn't use a rubbing compound and you don't get nearly as many strokes. It's the difference between buffing a car with a broom and a orbital buffer. So unless you are stabbing yourself in the face with your tooth brush then I think you should be safe.

Also, heads up, if your gums are bleeding you should probably start brushing more regularly. That's normally a sign of gum disease. After a few weeks of vigorous brushing your gums will stop bleeding and they will be come less sensitive. It's a pretty common thing amongst people who don't brush their teeth regularly.

Ceres

Ceres
  • Members
  • 153 posts
Brushing your teeth doesn't have much to do with Tooth health, been proven by a number of DDS's, a healthy tooth will not succumb to problems regardless of the enviroment it is in. There was quite extensive research into it in the 1930s where a dentist went all over the world to remote tribes not touched by western ideals and he looked at tooth health, none of them brushed their teeth but had flawless teeth anyway. It mostly has to do with diet and vitamin/mineral levels.

حشّاشين Ghost

حشّاشين Ghost
  • Members
  • 1,453 posts
Just showered with a bunch of men, after school gym. Feel fresh.

Feels good man?

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
QUOTE (PTrain @ Sep 21 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't really comment on a lot of the stuff you talked about but I will say this about oral hygiene.

Since I have horrible teeth I've been intune with dental hygiene for most of my life and I have to say you really should use toothpaste and a tooth brush. And you actually should step it up to an electric tooth brush. Thousands of years ago I'm assuming humans never really delt with brushing their teeth because they didn't have things like pepsi and they didn't live nearly as long.

Think about the act of brushing your teeth. All you are really doing is using a rubbing compound (tooth pase) to polish your teeth. So using miswak kinda does the same stuff except it doesn't use a rubbing compound and you don't get nearly as many strokes. It's the difference between buffing a car with a broom and a orbital buffer. So unless you are stabbing yourself in the face with your tooth brush then I think you should be safe.

Also, heads up, if your gums are bleeding you should probably start brushing more regularly. That's normally a sign of gum disease. After a few weeks of vigorous brushing your gums will stop bleeding and they will be come less sensitive. It's a pretty common thing amongst people who don't brush their teeth regularly.

I used to brush 3 times a day, floss around twice a day, and used mouthwash close to once per day. I also ate an unholy amount of candy.

Now I don't, and instead I use miswak. All you really need when brushing your teeth is to scrub plaque off and kill germs. Miswak takes care of both of these, and also prevents cavities, but I don't need to worry about those since I dont eat sugary things anymore. The WHO supported the use of miswak, what more do you want?

U mad that I brush my teeth with a twig and it costs a dollar and lasts months?

Edited by Jimmy Rabbitte, 21 September 2010 - 03:30 PM.

The Blackman is God

Patchy

Patchy
  • Members
  • 551 posts
QUOTE (Ceres @ Sep 21 2010, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-People don't think that a toothpaste or mouthwash can't hurt them if they don't swallow it, but the sublingual method of your mouth would say otherwise, much gets absorbed straight into the blood stream.

I get what you're saying, but I still don't think the ~30 seconds you're rinsing your mouth with mouthwash is anything to be worried about, if you rinse with water afterwards. Ideal sublingual absorption requires 5-10 minutes of exposure at best.

Then again, ~30 seconds a few times a day x life = icon_confused.gif

Eh, I like mouthwash. Fuck it.

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
Patchy, I finally got around to reading your first post since it was long. I agree with you a lot except I am not inclined to agree with my government at all. I don't know how the Canadian government deals with nutrition and public health, but the American government is doing an awful job. Kids are still force-fed (no pun intended, ok it might be a little intended) the food pyramid, which says grains should make up the foundation of our diet, and puts meat and fats near the top. I remember in middle school my dyke teacher had vials filled with crisco to represent how much cholesterol there was in various servings of meat. She didnt explain anything about cholesterol, the different types of cholesterol, and what it actually does in your body but simply explained "It clogs your arteries and gives you a heart attack". Basically she was trying to scare us into vegetarianism.

My great granddaddy spent half his life in yugoslavia and the other half in america, on a farm, the whole time eating eggs, fatty beef, and whatever vegetables he harvested from his garden. He ate bread but it was rare because during the depression almost all the food he could provide came from his own farm, or it was traded with other farmers. He spent his money on gas and tobacco and finally died in his 80s to lung cancer.

Oh yeah, there's two things I wanted to add to the OP..

We're all different. We're all gonna react differently to certain diets and exposure to chemicals. I have fair, sensitive skin which is why I refrain from using anything harsh on it.

Sunscreen
I don't use it anymore. I read a study that showed the further away from the equator you go, the more people have skin cancer. There's also no connection between skin cancer and ozone levels. I'm not saying sunscreen definitely causes skin cancer, but it's chemicals that stay on your body for a long. Time. I will either minimize my sun contact for the day to avoid burning, which is actually connected to skin cancer, or build a tan, which is hard because I burn easily, thanks to being half slavic half irish.
The Blackman is God

Patchy

Patchy
  • Members
  • 551 posts
They still use the food pyramid. I haven't actually looked at that thing though. I'm mostly referring to, for example, articles posted on the Health Canada website about stuff like the mercury content of different canned tuna and their recommendations. Weird stuff that you have to actively search for, contains (what I considered) good thorough information with cited sources, and didn't shove certain products down my throat. Problem is its dry as hell, tough to find, and most people probably don't even know it exists.

Edit: Just looked at the current Health Canada food pyramid while posting. They list priorities (highest to lowest) as Vegetables -> Grains -> Dairy -> Meat. For grains they push whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, oats, etc. For meats they suggest fish, and push lean meats with no salt if you're looking at the beef side of things.

Health Canada Food Guide

It seems our Governments conclusions are pretty different. Overall this looks pretty good to me, and makes some sound suggestions. Too bad most people probably never see this or couldn't be bothered to adopt some of the recommendations.

Edited by Patchy, 21 September 2010 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users