Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Red Hot Chili Peppers (rhcp)

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Pohsidun

Pohsidun
  • Members
  • 16 posts
I can't wait for their new album, hopefully the new guitarist will be awesome. And is it true that John Frusciante is going to explore Electronica type music?

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta
I can't wait to see what reaction image om_pulse posts. I hope it's something new
The Blackman is God

DFlame6 (TOA)

DFlame6 (TOA)
  • Members
  • 100 posts
  • xfire:dflame6
  • Xbox / GFWL:DFlame6
  • PSN:D_Flame
Any idea of when it might come out?

Pohsidun

Pohsidun
  • Members
  • 16 posts
QUOTE (DFlame6 (TOA) @ Jul 8 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any idea of when it might come out?

Supposedly it's coming out this year man icon_smile.gif .

om_pulse

om_pulse

Best Music Contributer 08 & 09!

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
QUOTE (Jimmy Rabbitte @ Jul 8 2010, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't wait to see what reaction image om_pulse posts. I hope it's something new

That's a lot of pressure...
is this one good enough?

I think it is an accurate representation of my face once I read this thread

'Dada means nothing. We want to change the world with nothing.'
--Richard Huelsenbeck

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
Pity its such low quality. I was looking forward to the reaction face too.

As for John Frusciante, his solo albums suck. I really think he would've been wise to stay with the peppers.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

Dylantendo

Dylantendo
  • Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dylantendo
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
If you want an idea of how the new guitarist will sound, check out Ataxia. It's John Frusciante, and Josh Klinghoffer.

richmeister

richmeister
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts
  • xfire:richmeister6666
QUOTE (Garamiah @ Jul 9 2010, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for John Frusciante, his solo albums suck. I really think he would've been wise to stay with the peppers.

Wut

His solo stuff is about 10x better than anything he ever did with the peppers. I suggest you give The Empyrean, Shadows Collide with people and curtains another listen.

Josh Klinghoffer is a good guitarist, i liked his work with the bicycle thief (i'd look them up over ataxia, as josh plays drums for ataxia, not guitar) and his stuff with John. He's the best replacement there is, John has pretty much moulded him in his own image. So it shouldn't be too bad.

As for John going down the electronica route... he already did that in his album with Josh Klinghoffer "A sphere in the heart of silence" so i doubt he'll do that again, he's a musician that doesn't like to stay in one place very long

Om_pulse, what's wrong with the peppers, may i ask?

om_pulse

om_pulse

Best Music Contributer 08 & 09!

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
QUOTE (richmeister @ Jul 9 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Om_pulse, what's wrong with the peppers, may i ask?

Pffft
Mostly because all their stuff sounds pretty much the same and I can't stand the sound that they have. Not to mention all their stuff is generic alt rock (which I don't like to begin with).
Couple that with an overly vocal following of middle schoolers who have pronounced them the best band ever.

they are a band that I dread to hear people talk about more then actually being offended that people like them. There are worse bands but I wouldn't ever consider them good.

'Dada means nothing. We want to change the world with nothing.'
--Richard Huelsenbeck

Pohsidun

Pohsidun
  • Members
  • 16 posts
QUOTE (om_pulse @ Jul 12 2010, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pffft
Mostly because all their stuff sounds pretty much the same and I can't stand the sound that they have. Not to mention all their stuff is generic alt rock (which I don't like to begin with).
Couple that with an overly vocal following of middle schoolers who have pronounced them the best band ever.

they are a band that I dread to hear people talk about more then actually being offended that people like them. There are worse bands but I wouldn't ever consider them good.

What music/bands do you find good then?

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta
He listens to static and people banging on garbage cans indiscriminately. Welcome to the music section

P.S. I gotta agree with om partially here. The peppers will always have a special place in my heart because they were the first band I ever saw live (Not counting G-Love and Special Sauce because that was with my mom when I was very young) and I grew up listening to Blood Sugar Sex Magik, which I still think is a good album. But everything else they've made was shitty and generic.

Edited by Jimmy Rabbitte, 12 July 2010 - 05:01 PM.

The Blackman is God

richmeister

richmeister
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts
QUOTE (om_pulse @ Jul 12 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mostly because all their stuff sounds pretty much the same

So I'm guessing you're referring to only about 1/3 of their albums there. Listen to their first album and then listen to by the way. You'd swear blind they weren't the same band.
Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

I can see why people say all their stuff sounds the same (Stadium Arcadium was shit generic alt rock tbf) but By The Way is an album i continually come back to and listen to. It's just beautiful and the first i ever bought. It would be their masterpiece if it weren't for "throw away your television", I'd defend that album to the death, everything else i'd say it's your own taste. But they're a band that's grown and rolled with the punches over the years and changed and matured. Not to mention i'm a massive Frusciante fanboy and suck his cock, but i do fucking hate people who say the peppers are their favourite band and haven't heard anything before Blood Sugar or even Californication. The peppers are a band i fucking love, even if some of their stuff sucks cock.

Emotive

Emotive
  • Members
  • 2,175 posts
putting one of their songs next to another does not prove anything.

richmeister

richmeister
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts
QUOTE (Emotive @ Jul 13 2010, 07:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
putting one of their songs next to another does not prove anything.

Did you even read my post?! I was saying how different their early work and their contemporary work is and gave an example to back my statement. I think, if you listen to the two songs they do indeed sound like they could be from two different bands

reported for trolling

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
I dont think Emotive is intending to troll you, this is music section after all and posts of that nature arent unexpected. I think the point is that choosing two songs from one band at opposite ends off their genre range doesn't prove anything, because most bands have at least one song that is wildly different. To use only two songs as an example of how their songs are different is as baseless as saying all their songs sound the same.

I would have to agree with you though, their earlier albums sound completely different to their later ones.

Edited by Garamiah, 13 July 2010 - 06:27 AM.

QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

Pohsidun

Pohsidun
  • Members
  • 16 posts
I don't know. For me personally I find RHCP one of my favourites and i listen to them often. I can tell every of their songs apart and maybe why people think they all sound the same is because they don't like the music and can't get into it. This also happens to lots of people who listen to Electronica, they think it all sounds the same because they don't enjoy it. I guess it's getting an ear for their style.

Verrückter

Verrückter

Satanic Birthday Boy

• Retired Staff
  • 7,606 posts
  • Interests:Games!
SO MUCH TROLL!

Stop QQing noobs
"Something tremendously powerful was lost when composers moved away from tonal harmony and regular pulses... Among other things the audience was lost" -John Adams

Emotive

Emotive
  • Members
  • 2,175 posts
QUOTE (richmeister @ Jul 13 2010, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
reported for trolling

or i was mentioning that the most common and obvious (and stupidest) response to "everything sounds the same" is to juxtapose one song from some one's early work to one song from some one's later work. and you actually didn't back up anything, rather you expressed your undying love for what is (IN MY OPINION) a mediocre band.

some of their tunes are catchy, but i'm not drawn to catchy.

QUOTE (Verrückter @ Jul 14 2010, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SO MUCH TROLL!

Stop QQing noobs

this. fucking christ.

richmeister

richmeister
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts
QUOTE (Emotive @ Jul 14 2010, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
or i was mentioning that the most common and obvious (and stupidest) response to "everything sounds the same" is to juxtapose one song from some one's early work to one song from some one's later work. and you actually didn't back up anything

Right... and so what other way would be a good way of showing how different their music ranges from? Hmm? Posting entire albums and telling you to listen to them? Okay, listen to their first 5 albums. Then listen to their last 3 or 4 and then tell me if all their work sounds the same? I'm sorry man, but how the fuck could i do that? Are you really going to sit down and listen to album after album of a band you already have your own opinion about? No you won't. I put 2 songs that pretty much give a good feel to the album that they're from so you wouldn't have to spend ages going through their albums.

I can see why people say their stuff is mediocre, most of the singles they release are average (especially Stadium Arcadium singles were terrible). But they're a band that makes albums with a particular feel to them, Californication and By the Way both have the same feel as Frusciante had next to no ability while recording Californication after 5 years of sitting in his home shooting pretty much everything and anything. Plus Frusciante actually wanted to make By the Way a dark Joy Division esque record, but Rick Rubin advised against it.

Their earlier work with frusciante Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Mothers Milk sound totally different to BTW and Californication. BTW and Cali are chilled out alt rock with elements of ska, beach boy sounds and a bit of their funk. BSSM is a great funk record with some soul-esque songs in them and Mothers Milk is a funky-grungey type record.

Then there's their first 3 records which are just attempts to capture their raw funk metal energy that they had at the time. Uplift Mofo Party Plan is their best album with Slovak. Freaky Styley is a pretty decent funk record produced by George Clinton and their first self titled album is average at best. The band admit that themselves.

Is that enough for you?

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,266 posts
  • Interests:FPS.
  • Steam ID:spowis
  • Xbox / GFWL:smpowis
  • PSN:smpowis
  • Rofl-Rupees:0
  • Gamer Army ID:4794
  • Company:Gamma
Everyone's a self-righteous critic and has their own opinions, influences and tastes, that's just how it is. You can pretty much sit back and argue to somebody about a band's 20-30 years worth of material, but if they don't like it, then that's just shit. Captain Obvious statement right there, but meh. I have no problem with their stuff from pre-'02, it's easy to listen to and isn't a drain on my hearing at all, I can't see what's so fundamentally wrong about just tolerating what other people have devoted pretty much their lives into producing.

Left_4_Dead_Signature_by_Sitic.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users