Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Sci Fi Movies Of The Decade

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

PTrain

PTrain
  • Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • Steam ID:ptrain
  • Xbox / GFWL:aaahhXBOXlive
After we were discussing Moon in another thread richmeister mentioned that he thought it was a possibility for the best sci fi picture of the decade. That got me thinking, what are some other great sci fi movies that came out this past decade.

I don't know if I would say this decade was great for sci fi (compared to 90-00 with movies like The Matrix, Independence Day, Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, Ghost in the Shell, just to name a few) but here are some of the sci fi movies that I enjoyed this past decade:

Pitch Black (2000) - Just squeaking into this decade (does 2000 count for this decade or the past?) was one of my favorite sci fi movies of recent memory. A very cool main character and a creepy world, what more could you ask for? It also contains one of my favorite movie lines. I absolutely believe in god, and I absolutely hate the fucker.

Avatar (2009) - Ok, I know that many of you would disagree with me on this one but in my mind there are two things that make a sci fi movie good. Visuals and story. I don't think it's necessary to have both, nor do I think that a movie with poor visuals needs a compelling story (just look at Starship Troopers, I think it's hilarious and because of that I'll watch it on occasion). Since this was the most visually stunning movie I've ever seen this gets my vote for one of the best sci fi movies of the decade.

Serenity (2005) - I felt that this movie served as a good wrap up of the tv series but it tended too much toward being a serious movie. One of the reasons I like Firefly is because of his humor, and it was missed in the movie.

Primer (2004) - This is my vote for the best sci fi movie of the decade. Does that mean that we had a relatively weak decade for sci fi movies? Yea, I'd say so. But this movie got the story aspect of a sci fi movie down pat. It is by far the best time travel movie I've ever seen and it's complex story will have you running for your computer right after you get done watching it. After you read some writeups about the movie you can watch it again and see the whole story play out from the first seconds to the end credits.

War of the Worlds (2005) - To be honest I don't remember a whole lot about this movie but from the bits and pieces that stuck with me I thought that it was entertaining. I wish that it kept to the original story a bit more since following Tom Cruise's character, a normal dude, felt pretty random. And the sounds in this movie were spectacular. I clearly remember there was a massive electrical storm the night I saw the movie and I was expecting to hear those fog horn-esque sounds coming from tripods in the distance.

I'm sure that you guys will come up with a bunch of movies I have forgotten or just missed. So what sci fi movies do you think are candidates for the best of the decade?

Here are some other movies that I didn't particularly like or haven't seen but I just wanted to throw them out there to jog your mind:
Minority Report (2002) - Eyeball transplant...
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
Moon (2009) - I'm pretty gullible, but I saw the ending of this movie from the credits.
Children of Men (2006)
Star Trek (2009) - I could go on for a very long time about how I hate this movie.
Donnie Darko (2001)
District 9 (2009) - It was disgusting
Cloverfield (2008) - The hype really blew this movie out of proportion.
28 Days Later (2002)

Joby

Joby

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Retired Staff
  • 6,538 posts
  • xfire:joby67
  • Interests:Well a young man<br />He ain't got nothin' in the world these days<br />I said a young man<br />Ain't got nothin' in the world these days
  • Steam ID:purepwnagejoby
  • Wii:0958641680091840
QUOTE (PTrain @ Jul 4 2010, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
District 9 (2009) - It was disgusting

RAGE. District 9 was great.

I'm not really into the sci-fi genre, but Children of Men was for me the best film out of the genre in the decade.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Oct 30 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
brb not picking up any woman

A completely unbiased review...

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
  • Steam ID:Destruct0r
  • PSN:kracine
  • Wii:5323779916910511
Primer is a great choice. I thoroughly loved figuring it out over multiple viewings. It did what a good sci-fi ought to do.

I would throw in The Prestige as a phenomenal sci-fi film that deserves a nomination.

Children of Men was ok but I didn't think it had much merit to the plot or sci-fi aspects, it was just a very well-done drama/action film where the mcguffin happened to be a pregnant woman. That long-cut near the end was impressive, though.

I loved District 9 too, but I don't think it was quite on the intellectual/plot level of Primer or The Prestige.

Avatar doesn't really deserve a mention at all.

I'm tempted to throw Equilibrium in there, because I love the action scenes and there is a somewhat interesting plot, but the film just has a few too many amateurish mistakes for it to win.

Watchmen is an possibility, at least the Director's Cut. Maybe only because I love the graphic novel, but I thought the DC was fantastic and pretty faithful to the comic, which in turn means the plot of the movie was pretty excellent.

Finally: I haven't seen Inception yet. I'd rather hold off of a final verdict until then.

Edited by Destructor, 04 July 2010 - 01:39 PM.

Current blog entry: The Future of Gaming According to Bobby Kotick
You are Likely to be Eaten by a Grue

Cure

Cure
  • Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • Steam ID:Cure_IMR
You guys have given pretty much every good sci fi, I really can't add any more to the list. Sci fi isnt exactly my genre of choice so if I had to pick it would either be The Prestige or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I loved both of them so much.

As for the others
Primar - Haven't seen (lol I know, I even remember the thread from ages ago icon_sad.gif)
Avatar - Haven't seen (lol I know)
District 9 - Great movie, like Destructor said the plot itself wasn't diffcult to pick up on. It was quite drama heavy and not really a puzzle. My favourite from last year, much better then The Hurt Locker.
Children of Men - I love this movie, the atmosphere the movie has is just perfect.
Serenity - Didn't enjoy that much, maybe because I never watched Fire Fly.
Cloverfield - Great movie but the hype was to much.
Watchmen - It's a good movie, I didn't get round to reading the graphic novel and my take on the movie felt like it was lacking something which I can't put my finger on.
Star Trek - I really liked this movie, its the first thing I've ever seen of Star Trek and the way they reboot the series is very smart and well done. And then the rest like plot, action, cinematography, acting were all great.
Moon - I was hyped as fuck for this movie and rented it and when I watched it I was heavily distracted all all that so I didn't really enjoy it. I think a second watch would help.
Donnie Darko - Its good but after I kinda got bored of it.
Minority Report - I've only seen the end half but it seemed alright lol.
28 Days Later - Great movie.
War of the Worlds - Its a good movie its just that the ending ruin makes you not wanna watch it again lol.

Actually guys isn't V for Vendetta a sci fi? I fucking love this movie.

QUOTE (Destructor @ Jul 4 2010, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally: I haven't seen Inception yet. I'd rather hold off of a final verdict until then.

Oh god yes.

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
Though I'd mention some unnamed movies that I enjoyed this decade, since all of yours lists seem pretty good... with a few changes I would make based off my own opinion.

Uhm, well... I guess one of my favorite sci-fi movies of this decade is most probably Deja Vu. Well, as far as I know, it was just some sci-fi flic you watched once in your life and never again... but I seriously enjoyed that movie, even though Denzel Washington was in it and all he's really known for is being black.

I guess I am Legend is worth the mention though... but meh, I still didn't like the ending to that movie. :/

There was also The Day After Tommorow.. but I didn't even enjoy that.... so let's not go there icon_wink.gif

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

Palt_Teh_Destroyer

Palt_Teh_Destroyer
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Video Games(LOL)<br />Music<br />COD:WAW
Children Of Men is the best in my mind.

I also agree that while it was slightly... bloody, District 9 was a great movie.

I am a die-hard fan of Cloverfield, I'm not ashamed to admit it! icon_smile.gif

Edited by Palt_Teh_Destroyer, 05 July 2010 - 03:34 AM.

Stop posting publicly. I can answer your questions.
I have proof.

I hope that if I found the strength to walk out you would stay the hell out of my way.

richmeister

richmeister
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts
  • xfire:richmeister6666
Moon and 28 days later were fantastic, easily the two best of the decade. Moon is captivating and tragic with Sam Rockwell putting on the performance of his carreer tbh. 28 days later changed the ballpark for zombie films imo, it changed the common conception that zombies were slow moving dumb creatures and that they could run, and run fast, made it even more terrifying.

I'm not a fan of CGI stuff like avatar and cloverfield. They didn't really do anything for me.

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
1. Matrix (fuck ya's, '99 is close enough yo)
2. Moon
3. Star Trek
4. Serenity
5. V for Vendetta
6. Minority Report
7. District 9
8. Wall-e
9. Avatar
Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick ties with Primer for 10th place.

Edited by DethFanatic, 05 July 2010 - 06:31 AM.

Kipzz

Kipzz
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,107 posts
  • xfire:luziferdeville
  • Interests:WoW, CoD4, EvE Online, Minecraft, whatever takes my fancy.
  • Steam ID:ppgaluzifer
  • Gamer Army ID:3590
  • Company:Pi
QUOTE (DethFanatic @ Jul 5 2010, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Matrix (fuck ya's, '99 is close enough yo)
2. Moon
3. Star Trek
4. Serenity
5. V for Vendetta
6. Minority Report
7. District 9
8. Wall-e
9. Avatar
Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick ties with Primer for 10th place.

Are you serious? Pfft. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but yours is wrong.
QUOTE (Whiskerz @ Apr 23 2010, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried talking to a woman once, but it glitched and didn't give me any conversation options.

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
QUOTE (ŁΰŹĭƒęr @ Jul 5 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you serious? Pfft. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but yours is wrong.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but yours is wrong.

LMAO. OK man, great post.

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
Oh damn, I forgot about The Matrix Reloaded. People trash it, but I found it as mind-blowing as the first one, mainly due to the big twist at the end. Revolutions was a piece of shit that took the brilliant twist in Reloaded - that the entire concept of The One and Zion was a manipulation by the machines, and the Oracle was in on the entire thing - and apparently just forgot about the whole thing and decided to make a jesus allegory. But if you pretend Revolutions never happened, then Reloaded was excellent. The action scenes had some of the most awesome choreography I've ever witnessed, and while the dialogue was a little weak at times the movie had a great personality of its own.

The_Zooloo_Master

The_Zooloo_Master
  • Members
  • 912 posts
  • xfire:thezooloomaster
  • Interests:Entertainment,____, watching pure pwnage, pwning noobs, philosophy.
One good, though flawed, picture that no one mentioned yet is A.I. Artificial Intelligence.
The Road could possibly also be classified as sci-fi -- an interesting piece that captures the spirit of our times.
"If I continue with this shit I'm going to end up in jail, in a hospital, or dead. Or all 3." -- Joby

richmeister

richmeister
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts
  • xfire:richmeister6666
QUOTE (The_Zooloo_Master @ Jul 5 2010, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One good, though flawed, picture that no one mentioned yet is A.I. Artificial Intelligence.
The Road could possibly also be classified as sci-fi -- an interesting piece that captures the spirit of our times.

AI would have been insane if spielburg hadn't of ruined it. KUBRICK4LYF

Rob`

Rob`
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • xfire:noobnoobnoob1337
Of the ones I remember seeing Moon.
Perhaps if this signature is witty enough, someone will finally love me.

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
QUOTE (Rob` @ Jul 5 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of the ones I remember seeing Moon.

I was kind of disappointed by Moon. It was good, no doubt, but... well, here was my thought process while watching it (spoilers ahead!):

"cool, he's alone on the moon, there's a robot, this could be neat"

"awesome, he's seeing things, going a bit nuts from years of isolation, this could lead to awesome stuff"

"holy shit there's two of them what's happening? he's gotta be insane now"

"he's talking to himself, this is badass, this is shaping up to be a neat psychological drama about isolation, or it could lead to a more interesting twist later..."

" ..."

"oh. everything that appears to be happening is actually literally happening. it's just a clone. that's it? really?"

"ok, that ended in a very straightforward way with very little conflict or any smart twists at all."

So, yeah. It could have been so much more than it ended up being. But what it did, it did well.

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,512 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
I was going to say Gattaca but its 1997.

Still if you havent seen it you should.

Rob`

Rob`
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • xfire:noobnoobnoob1337
Looks interesting, downloading now!

Also what's with all the love for Riddick? Those films sucked.
Perhaps if this signature is witty enough, someone will finally love me.

om_pulse

om_pulse

Best Music Contributer 08 & 09!

• Members
  • 1,244 posts
wow you guys don't watch many sci-fi movies do you
My top 10:
10. Zebraman
09. The Host
08. Moon
07. Solaris
06. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
05. Children of Men
04. Tekkon Kinkreet
03. The Road
02. Sunshine
01. Battle Royale

this decade has not been good for sci-fi but these are all fucking great

'Dada means nothing. We want to change the world with nothing.'
--Richard Huelsenbeck

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
  • xfire:cky852k
  • Steam ID:cky852k
  • Xbox / GFWL:jojo852k
  • PSN:jojo852k
  • Gamer Army ID:153
  • Company:Gamma
i take it there was something underlying about The Host which i didn't get, although i've only seen it once.. coz i found it boring.

plus some scenes which did not translate very well at all.

Edited by j-tak, 05 July 2010 - 08:37 PM.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
I was going to make a troll list.. But I decided not to. Lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users