Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Final Fantasy Xiv

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

FrostFenix

FrostFenix
  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • xfire:frostfenix
  • Interests:Video games of course, trying to train to start pwning it up on any game I currently own, and working on to get, still looking for an MMO except for WoW to play >_>
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
"Firstly, the concept for FINAL FANTASY XIV was to design a system of character progression that offers meaningful advancement for those with limited time to dedicate to playing. We did not want to create a game that forced people to play for hours on end to see their efforts rewarded. To that end, in addition to the Guardian's Aspect and guildleve systems, we introduced a means of apportioning swifter advancement to shorter periods of play.

In order to achieve this balance, we calculated a value for the amount of skill or experience points that could be earned in a one-hour period. This theoretical value represents an hour spent engaged solely in combat, levequests, or any other activities that earn skill or experience points, and sets a threshold delimiting how many of these points can be earned in a period of play.

Based on this, we have implemented a “threshold value” concept. These thresholds are regulated by a one-week timer that begins counting down the instant you earn skill/experience points. After a week has passed, the thresholds will reset, and the moment skill/experience points are earned again, the timer begins counting down anew.

For the first eight thresholds during this week-long period, players will receive skill/experience points at the maximum rate possible. The actual amount of time spent reaching these thresholds is not significant. That is to say, a player who exceeds eight hours of gameplay will still be rewarded the maximum amount of skill/experience points, so long as the total amount earned is below the eighth threshold value. For the subsequent seven thresholds, players will earn skill/experience points at a gradually decreasing rate, eventually reaching a rate of zero.

It is worth noting, however, that the reduced rate will also gradually recover while players are engaged in activities that do not yield skill/experience points. In this manner, it is possible for the threshold value to reset completely, even before the completion of the one-week timer.

Any skill points earned in excess of the threshold maximum—that is, at a rate of zero—will be stored as "bonus skill points." These are specific to each class, so players limited to earning bonus skill points still have the freedom to change classes and begin earning skill points again at the maximum rate, allowing their reduced skill rates to recover in the meantime.

The experience point threshold, however, is unrelated to class, and switching classes will have no effect on the decreasing rate of earnable experience."
(From the beta site)

Honestly this does NOT seem BAD, looking at that time and figuring out when to level or spend time on crafting or social aspect kinda makes this almost feel non-existant if you are not a hardcore farmer/leveler.

Edited by FrostFenix, 26 August 2010 - 11:59 AM.

Aiming for the top ~ working to be the best.

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
  • Interests:FPS.
  • Steam ID:spowis
  • Xbox / GFWL:smpowis
  • PSN:smpowis
  • Rofl-Rupees:0
  • Gamer Army ID:4794
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (FrostFenix @ Aug 26 2010, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly this does NOT seem BAD, looking at that time and figuring out when to level or spend time on crafting or social aspect kinda makes this almost feel non-existant if you are not a hardcore farmer/leveler.

I wouldn't say that, considering that this game will charged at a monthly rate, I for one would want to get the most out of my game. It seems to deliberately shoot those dedicated players right in the foot and reward the flailing casuals of gaming for paying for a service that they'll hardly ever use in the first place. People complain about how effortless WoW has become these days, I hardly doubt that anyone wanted to change MMO's from titles such as that would be appealed by this news.

Left_4_Dead_Signature_by_Sitic.png

FrostFenix

FrostFenix
  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Video games of course, trying to train to start pwning it up on any game I currently own, and working on to get, still looking for an MMO except for WoW to play &gt;_&gt;
QUOTE (Spowis @ Aug 26 2010, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't say that, considering that this game will charged at a monthly rate, I for one would want to get the most out of my game. It seems to deliberately shoot those dedicated players right in the foot and reward the flailing casuals of gaming for paying for a service that they'll hardly ever use in the first place. People complain about how effortless WoW has become these days, I hardly doubt that anyone wanted to change MMO's from titles such as that would be appealed by this news.

(It is worth noting, however, that the reduced rate will also gradually recover while players are engaged in activities that do not yield skill/experience points. In this manner, it is possible for the threshold value to reset completely, even before the completion of the one-week timer.)

This is the only thing that makes it somewhat okay if its done the way I think it is in my head. Then again like I said before, its okay for people like me who only play that much given school and SC2, but not okay to hardcore fans, it sort of forces them to either switch class or just qq and play another MMO.

Plus think about how much time your spending on getting 8 hours worth of exp, the rates are higher than normal due to the time limit, but 8 hours + the 7 hours of exp decrease is pretty solid on how much levels you can gain within a given week. Yes it takes "freedom" of time per exp, but to me its not all that bad, the only downside is yes, if I hit that cap, im wondering what im gonna do, switch classes or play another game?

It seems okay, but cause I didnt notice it in beta phase 3, I didnt get to try that out all too well. (I was more like, holy cow I'm leveling pretty fast then died to a hard mob, "Time for SC2!")
I sorta wish I did more on closed beta to test it out but then theres SC2 just playing in my head. Anyway, I dunno, im gonna try and play Open beta more than I was willing to and test this system out, if its shenanigans, then im done with this game till its fixed.

Like this trailer, pretty neeto

Edited by FrostFenix, 27 August 2010 - 06:36 PM.

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
Something you might find to be a good read if you're considering upgrading soonish: http://www.ffxivcore...cpu-score-list/

Edit: UPDATE

FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test Postponed

FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, which is scheduled to begin at 02:00 (GMT) on Sept. 1, 2010, will be postponed due to a confirmation of critical bugs. New schedule will be released at a later date.

Along with the postponement of FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, the issuing of registration code for FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test will be postponed as well. With the download of client software's installer, it will be suspended at 02:00 (GMT) on Sept. 1, 2010.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please note: This is for applications from EU and other PAL regions ONLY.

You should be able to download the client here however: http://dl.square-eni.../ffxivsetup.exe

Edited by Spowis, 31 August 2010 - 08:29 AM.

FrostFenix

FrostFenix
  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Video games of course, trying to train to start pwning it up on any game I currently own, and working on to get, still looking for an MMO except for WoW to play &gt;_&gt;
NOOOOO! RAAGE, I was all pumped this morning to patch while I went to school, came back to find out they post poned open beta due to a major bug. Bah, back to SC2

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
SOMEONE GIVE ME A KEYYYYYYY

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
Raged at Square-Enix, went to a buddy's house last night to play Smash Bros, F-Zero and some SC2 instead. Was stupidly fun, and Toon Link is a cheap whore. I'm just going to watch some Battlestar and check it out again tomorrow afternoon (Friday) instead.

Really sucks that they can't run things as neatly as it should be.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
It's not postponed anymore.. I'm guessing you don't have a key either. Cause there are many people right now playing the game.

Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

MOVIES
bunny.jpg

FrostFenix

FrostFenix
  • Members
  • 65 posts
I dunno why there is so many issues, they really need to get their crap together.

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
I have a key, but it says that the page is down due to maintenance...

Alright scrap that, their website is just being over-loaded with requests, account linked. Now to just wait 400,000 hours for this P2P crap to finish downloading the beta torrent files.

Edit: Some help - http://www.ffxivcore...l-instructions/

Edited by Spowis, 03 September 2010 - 03:18 PM.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
I have the key and updated client, just cant log in now icon_smile.gif. The button simply does nothing.

MOVIES
bunny.jpg

FrostFenix

FrostFenix
  • Members
  • 65 posts
I'm in and in Gridania on Lindblum server, started as a Lancer and playing with a friend. So far as connection goes, THERE IS A SHIT TON OF PEOPLE, heavy lag spikes here and there until I move away from people, so far it doesnt seem bad at all. Really enjoying the difference of the game. BTW playing with a 360 controller helps a lot. Keyboard control is so so, but with a controller its actually pretty simple.

If you wanna group up anytime just message Angel Rozen or post something I could give vent info since theres like 15 people per party, which in my opinion is pretty crazy.

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
I'm in and on Besaid. Picked a Highlander Pugilist, should be good fun beating down some squids.

FrostFenix

FrostFenix
  • Members
  • 65 posts
I'm actually gonna switch servers now since it seems that Lindblum has like EVERY FORUMS on it. Waay too laggy to think.

On Palamecia midland hyur glad, so far so good, no lag crashes or unbareable amounts of people.

Edited by FrostFenix, 04 September 2010 - 08:56 PM.

Digioso

Digioso
  • GA Private
  • 187 posts
  • xfire:Real_Digioso
  • Steam ID:Digioso
  • Xbox / GFWL:digioso@gmx.ch
  • Gamer Army ID:3337
So, here are my next two videos for this game.

The first ones shows another charakter creation. This time I rolled a nice-looking Elezen (elf-like) Miner.
You can watch it here: Click me

And the second video shows the battlesystem in the game: http://www.digioso.o... - Battlesystem
Leg dich nie mit einem BAOD an, oder du bist selber dran.
Das Leben ist grausam.
Wenn es mal nicht grausam ist, ist es grausamer.

FrostFenix

FrostFenix
  • Members
  • 65 posts
I'm still waiting on my damn game to get delivered, just sitting here in school now wondering when the hell this shit is gonna arrive. But yeah, decided on rolling on Melmond as a Midland Hyur Gladiator. So far from what I've read, there is a lot of QQ threads about installation and patching. Already know tonight is gonna be a long night before I get in-game, with the new patch coming out tonight and patching everything and all.

Regardless, still excited about this game since it's been a while since I played any real new MMO's.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (FrostFenix @ Sep 23 2010, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there is a lot of QQ threads about installation and patching. Already know tonight is gonna be a long night before I get in-game, with the new patch coming out tonight and patching everything and all.

I had to turn off Vista compatibility in the properties of the exe. I also downloaded the patch files instead of using the patcher to download because it was taking for fucking ever.

I'm on Mysidia and I should have played the beta because this game is pretty shitty so far. Is there even a way to tell who is a quest NPC? I'm sick of talking to 50 fucking NPCs in the bar. This game is also pointless to play on a PC.

I need to read some more info on the forums because this game isn't the easiest to get into.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
If anyone who has the game would be willing to post a couple of screenshots of in-game settings and such, that'd be good. Planning on picking this up on my paycheck at the end of October. icon_smile.gif

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Spowis @ Sep 23 2010, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anyone who has the game would be willing to post a couple of screenshots of in-game settings and such, that'd be good.

That was more bullshit. You have to use a utility outside of the game to adjust the screen resolution.

I can post screenshots but won't be able to until I got off work.

Oh and these geniuses didn't add the option to pick where you want to store the temporary files so if you don't have much room on your SSD (like me) you'll have to move and point your "My Documents" to a different drive. Mine already was but I still got that error message pop up several times.

I don't see myself playing again until the weekend but I can jump in and take those pics if you want.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
Well hey, the more first-hand experiences that there are of the game, the more that the people will know about what works a-ok and what is broken to hell. Does the game seem to disconnect much, from what you'd played of it? The Beta pretty much died almost hourly on me...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)