Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lord Of The Rings Online = Free

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
  • xfire:Alexc26
  • Steam ID:Alexc26
  • Xbox / GFWL:Alexc26
  • PSN:Alexc26
  • Rofl-Rupees:13
  • Gamer Army ID:4614
  • Company:Gamma
Yep, as the title says, Lord Of The Rings Online will be come FREE icon_smile.gif

Click Here For Info

Click Here For Beta Signup

Well, Ive never played this game, will be nice to try it, and seeing its becoming free ill have a go on it and see what its like, just thought you lot should know about it icon_smile.gif

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
Yeah, I heard about this a few days ago. I might try it, but I doubt I'd play long. I thought the same about DDO and was bored with it a couple days later.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
Highlight from a recent dev interview on RPS:

RPS: Okay, so let’s talk about exactly what this means for the game. Exactly what is free?

Paiz: If you come in from the start you will have all the launch content, all the launch classes and races, the two classes that came with the expansion are still linked to the expansion, which you can purchase. Once you enter the game, for free, you can play the first three big regions, which is eight hundred quests. Then as you get up in the level 20 area you enter the epic storyline and you are involved with the fellowship, and you play in support of the Fellowship Of The Ring, that’s all free up to the start of Moria, that is still paid-for content. You can basically walk around the entire West of the world, assuming you are the right level so the mobs don’t kill you. The NPCs who have quests that are related to the paid-for content are still there, but with a locked icon. You can talk to them, read the quest dialogue, and then choose to buy the regions the quests are in. You’ll be able to do eighty to two-hundred quests off that one purchase. We think that if you’re there and you’re enjoying the content you’ll get around to opening your wallet because you want to enhance your game experience.

Source

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
So, the main, MMO/game is free, but then you can get expansions etc buy paying for them, which Isn't bad, I dunno if you have to pay a sub fee every month to get the expansions or if you can just buy them once, but, apparently LOTRO is a really good game, and a lot of my mates play it and prefer it to WoW, its a shame that WoW seems to oversahdow lots of other good MMO's, but everyone just goes "WoW is the best, it has millions of players", I for one will be playing this when its free, im downloading the 10 day trial now just to see what its like icon_smile.gif

A hardcore dedicated GW gamer I know says that he now prefers LOTRO lol.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
Yeah, unless anything else comes along in the meantime, I'm definitely planning to play this. I signed up for the beta, so I guess I'll make up my mind during that phase.

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Jun 9 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, unless anything else comes along in the meantime, I'm definitely planning to play this. I signed up for the beta, so I guess I'll make up my mind during that phase.

Well, there is a 10 day free trial which is on their website, which is what im downloading now, I don't know when the beta is, so I thought I might as well try it, when you download it there are two files too chose from, one is the high res game, which is 10 gb, and the other is just a normal, not as good graphics one, which is smaller file size but im not sure how small, so the only difference between them is graphic quality, im downloading the bigger better graphics one, so, its taken 2 hours so far ? says like, 2 or 3 hours left, sadly their downloading servers aren't as good, I get 1 mb/s on steam, 400 kb/s on the downloader for LOTRO, but apparently its worth it icon_smile.gif

Hmm, I dunno why im writing wall of texts icon_confused.gif lol.

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
I tried LOTRO trial a while back, I thought it was utter shit compared to WoW in gameplay, quests, graphics and combat.

It runs on a modified version of the DDO engine, which absolutely frustrated me.

Eogris

Eogris
  • Members
  • 874 posts
  • xfire:eogris
  • PSN:Eogris_
  • Wii:0062259758890805
this will (hopefully) easily surpass DDO and Allods as the best Free MMO.

OPINION ZONE
It was a decent MMO as a subscription based MMO, but was not a refined as WoW - the class choices were limited and the combat/tradeskills were mediocre. The lore is (obviously) better than WoW and DDO which makes the roleplay(lol dont judge me) better. It's a satisfying game experience and will hopefully deliver as a f2p MMO.

Edited by Eogris, 09 June 2010 - 08:54 PM.

darkhen

darkhen
  • Members
  • 1,057 posts
  • xfire:darkhen
  • Interests:Bang Bang Bang<br /><br />Banging people<br />
QUOTE (DethFanatic @ Jun 9 2010, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried LOTRO trial a while back, I thought it was utter shit compared to WoW in gameplay, quests, graphics and combat.

It runs on a modified version of the DDO engine, which absolutely frustrated me.

I disagree. The community is about 10304x better - especially if you are in a guild, people will go out of their way to really help you out. The community also is mostly 18+ ... not like WOW with thousands of 12 year old annoying kids, in the guild I was in I was surprised at the amount of adults/females/ mature people. It is also just a great relaxing experience playing it. I dont see WOW letting you bust out a lute and shred some Children Of Bodom!

I used to play this and I wish that they would give us old members something better than the free to play - I dont subscribe now but I think my money may have been not as well spent if they are now releasing it for free!

]

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
Yesterday I spent hours and hours, downloading the client, I think I downloaded roughly 6 or 7 gb, I then realised it wasn't the EU client, so I had to delete that, and started the EU client download, which is slow as hell, 170 kb/s was all it was getting :| So im now downloading it by torrent, I just started the torrent back up and its downloading at 250 kb/s so, hopefully it will be done today.

Dirge

Dirge

Best Returning Member '09

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
  • Steam ID:Silent_Dirge
  • Gamer Army ID:3524
  • Company:Alpha
QUOTE (Eogris @ Jun 9 2010, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OPINION ZONE
It was a decent MMO as a subscription based MMO, but was not a refined as WoW - the class choices were limited and the combat/tradeskills were mediocre. The lore is (obviously) better than WoW and DDO which makes the roleplay(lol dont judge me) better. It's a satisfying game experience and will hopefully deliver as a f2p MMO.

nice protective bubble there icon_wink.gif

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
Played it for a while until something fucked up with Click&Buy and had to go through a lot of hassle to get my account back. I enjoyed it, darkhen is right about guilds - I joined one pretty much as soon as I started playing and it helped out a lot. The dude who recruited me went to a crafting table and made me new gear on the spot. Pretty fucking badass

I'll definitely pick it up again when it goes free; I bought the expansion when I was playing it so I don't have to worry about that

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
QUOTE (darkhen @ Jun 10 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree. The community is about 10304x better - especially if you are in a guild, people will go out of their way to really help you out. The community also is mostly 18+ ... not like WOW with thousands of 12 year old annoying kids, in the guild I was in I was surprised at the amount of adults/females/ mature people. It is also just a great relaxing experience playing it. I dont see WOW letting you bust out a lute and shred some Children Of Bodom!

I used to play this and I wish that they would give us old members something better than the free to play - I dont subscribe now but I think my money may have been not as well spent if they are now releasing it for free!

Ahh sounds like you had a pretty shit time in WoW just because of community... my time spent in the TeamLiquid guild in WoW was so fun!

Gameplay wise, I think WoW just shits all over lotro.

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
QUOTE (DethFanatic @ Jun 10 2010, 06:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahh sounds like you had a pretty shit time in WoW just because of community... my time spent in the TeamLiquid guild in WoW was so fun!

Gameplay wise, I think WoW just shits all over lotro.

But, everyone knows WoW sucks, there is nothing else to say about WoW apart from that it sucks.

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
QUOTE (Alexc26 @ Jun 10 2010, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But, everyone knows WoW sucks, there is nothing else to say about WoW apart from that it sucks.

Dirge

Dirge

Best Returning Member '09

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
  • Steam ID:Silent_Dirge
  • Gamer Army ID:3524
  • Company:Alpha
QUOTE (Alexc26 @ Jun 10 2010, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could you elaborate on that post or should we disregard your post entirely?

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
This is actually really great. I played Lotr Online a year ago and I thought the game was great. I don't know why the hate, it's actually a really good game imo. Even better now that it's free. And I think it's better than WoW, and don't ask me to give comparisons since I don't have any, just preference on my part.

But I remember about 7 months ago I recieved an email from them trying to suck me back up into the game and basically they were selling the whole game+expansion and a month worth of gameplay for 10$. It was just about time they gave the game for free.

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

Eogris

Eogris
  • Members
  • 874 posts
  • xfire:eogris
  • PSN:Eogris_
  • Wii:0062259758890805
To add on to what someone said - the main Lotro selling point was that it was relaxing to play. It had a very chill community. I played week one of launch and it seemed as if the game had been out for months because no one was in a rush to level. There were people RPing, playing music, and just hanging out in the lowbie zones.

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
QUOTE (Dirge @ Jun 10 2010, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could you elaborate on that post or should we disregard your post entirely?

Well, I personally think WoW sucks, just don't like it at all and I don't see why everyone says how its good, and I don't see why it has so many players, it overshadows many good MMO's out there, like Guild Wars, LOTRO, Aion (well, Aion isn't that bad) etc but for MMO's you just hear about WoW all the time.

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
  • Interests:FPS.
  • Steam ID:spowis
  • Xbox / GFWL:smpowis
  • PSN:smpowis
  • Rofl-Rupees:0
  • Gamer Army ID:4794
So, just to clarify (and I'm just skimming through this thread), it's free up to a point, and if you want more content, that costs you extra? Maybe they're hoping that by getting players hooked on the vanilla content, that they'll be drawn in for more? There has to be a financial angle to this...

Left_4_Dead_Signature_by_Sitic.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)