Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Supplements

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta
I thought it would be neat to have a thread for discussing supplements for general health as well as exercise. What do you use/recommend?

I take:
Vitamin D - Due to my lifestyle and where I live I don't see a lot of sunlight so I take vitamin D for my bonesies
Vitamin A - to keep my skin healthy/fight acne
Creatine - Muscles
Cod liver oil - when I go for a while without fish to maintain omega 3 level
Valerian root/melatonin - to fight insomia
The Blackman is God

Defiled

Defiled
  • Members
  • 4,091 posts
ROIDS

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:SurprisedPlanet
1-2 Protein shakes a day if I remember.

I seriously can't eat enough to get bigger rawr.

Brb getting protein shake.
QUOTE (Tree_ @ May 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jamie, just go smoke some crack; you'll feel better.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
I would strongly advise agaisnt most forms of pill vitamins you can buy. They are all synthetic compounds, not formed from natural cases, hurting your body more than helping it.

In order for your body to take full advantage of a vitamin, it needs all the specific co-factors in order to form the vitamin and use it effectively in the body. The store bought 'vitamins' do not contain all co factors so when you ingest them your body will leech the co-factors from other places in your body (yes, having a negative effect) in order to fully take advantage.

Ever wonder why you would get sick if you pounded back 5 vitamin C pills, but if you ate 2 peppers some spinach and orange and banana you'd be fine (roughly the same amount of Vit C). Because natural forms of vitamins you do not OD on, only in extreme cases.

Stay away from store bought vitamins. Just eat your vegetables!

Edited by Plasmic Fury, 09 June 2010 - 11:57 AM.

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
getting vegetables is a very good idea.
For supplements i use..

vitamins (yay hypocrisy) --> but i do get more than 5 servings of vegetables every day.
scivation xtend --> BCAAs
whey protein
fish oil --> omega 3
CLA

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
After more and more research pointing at various supplements for doing more harm than good, I've pretty much cut out everything other than cod liver oil.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Jun 9 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After more and more research pointing at various supplements for doing more harm than good, I've pretty much cut out everything other than cod liver oil.

Even 90% of Cod Liver Oil in stores does more harm than good. The Omega 6 to 3 ratios are out of whack. You need to find traditional natural Cod Liver Oil in the form of liquid.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jun 10 2010, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even 90% of Cod Liver Oil in stores does more harm than good. The Omega 6 to 3 ratios are out of whack. You need to find traditional natural Cod Liver Oil in the form of liquid.

Yea that's what I do, but I only recently discovered that about a lot of cod liver oil. They are really cheeky with what they put on the ingredients. For example, it might say 1000mg of Cod Liver Oil, but in reality you're getting about 100mg with the rest of that just being other fish oils.

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jun 9 2010, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would strongly advise agaisnt most forms of pill vitamins you can buy. They are all synthetic compounds, not formed from natural cases, hurting your body more than helping it.

In order for your body to take full advantage of a vitamin, it needs all the specific co-factors in order to form the vitamin and use it effectively in the body. The store bought 'vitamins' do not contain all co factors so when you ingest them your body will leech the co-factors from other places in your body (yes, having a negative effect) in order to fully take advantage.

Ever wonder why you would get sick if you pounded back 5 vitamin C pills, but if you ate 2 peppers some spinach and orange and banana you'd be fine (roughly the same amount of Vit C). Because natural forms of vitamins you do not OD on, only in extreme cases.

Stay away from store bought vitamins. Just eat your vegetables!

The Blackman is God

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
Just general advice to people wanting to gain muscle/strength/health/whatever - You don't need more protein, you need less carbohydrate/sugar and less processed junk.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Jul 4 2010, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just general advice to people wanting to gain muscle/strength/health/whatever - You don't need more protein, you need less carbohydrate/sugar and less processed junk.

The marketing is just way to strong for all supplements nowadays everyone falls for them.

It's sad. People look for a magical pill instead of just eating correctly.

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
pretty much all vegetables suck except for carrots
The Blackman is God

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
QUOTE (Jimmy Rabbitte @ Jul 7 2010, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
pretty much all vegetables suck except for carrots

Bitches don't know about my broccoli.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

Intraframe

Intraframe
  • Members
  • 3,142 posts
  • xfire:mark101mmmmd
  • Interests:Games (obviously), fps, rts, and a few RPG's Also enjoy soccer, both playing and watching.
  • Steam ID:Intraframe
  • Wii:5242563695984198
starting on some new creatine next week - only thing I don't like is the bloating icon_sad.gif
Come at me bro

MaxDamage

MaxDamage

IRC Awards 2006: Friendliest | i r beefcaek. ph33r me!

• GA Private
  • 3,652 posts
  • xfire:maxdamagus
  • Interests:Rockin', art, gaming, listening to good music, etc...
  • Wii:will rock you
  • Gamer Army ID:108
Creatine is bleh, it helps if you're feeding your muscles properly as well but mostly it's fake/bloat that vanishes when you stop using it.
Strongly agree with cod liver oil too. Good stuff.
QUOTE (j type @ Jul 4 2010, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You uh, you DO need more protein.
Makes a huge difference.

Lose the processed/sugar/junkfood if you want to be toned, but you can get away with that too if the rest of your diet is good and you get enough cardio.

Edited by MaxDamage, 07 July 2010 - 06:53 PM.

UUr16xn.png
I don't need tattoos to look hard. I AM hard.

jaries

jaries
  • Members
  • 45 posts
  • xfire:jaries12
  • Steam ID:jaries12
QUOTE (j type @ Jul 5 2010, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is such a retarded comment. Please do not post on fitness if you honestly believe this... and to everyone else, do not listen to this advice, it's (insert curse word here) stupid.
"I think it's so easy that even a pr0 gamer can do it... unless you're a f*cking retard"

-Dawei

Ceres

Ceres
  • Members
  • 153 posts

Edited by Ceres, 01 March 2011 - 05:07 PM.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (MaxDamage @ Jul 8 2010, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You uh, you DO need more protein.
Makes a huge difference.

Lose the processed/sugar/junkfood if you want to be toned, but you can get away with that too if the rest of your diet is good and you get enough cardio.

QUOTE (jaries @ Aug 7 2010, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is such a retarded comment. Please do not post on fitness if you honestly believe this... and to everyone else, do not listen to this advice, it's (insert curse word here) stupid.

If you actually took the time to learn a bit about nutrition, you would know that most of us, unless we're only eating absolute junk, are already getting more than enough protein in our diets. What we need is to eat more fat, which is contrary to what we're told to believe from the more mainstream 'experts', who basically just recommend more sugars.

One of the most important aspects of diet and general health, is managing the bacteria in your gut and promoting the growth of non-toxic and healthy bacteria-types. Those of us who have grown up on a diet of (even mildly) processed foods, will have cultivated the wrong kinds of bacteria, which are actually blocking vitamins and minerals from entering our blood stream. Such bacteria feeds off of the sugars that we consume and can cause all kinds of problems, both physical and psycological.

Of course you need a decent amount of protein, but by taking protein supplements of any kind, on top of a reasonably healthy diet (including oily fish, fatty meats and/or vegetarian alternatives), you are really just throwing something at your body that it just wont use.

If you look at, traditionally, the most healthy and longest lived cultures throughout history and what they ate, you'd be surprised that most of them would actually discard lean meat, viewing it as practically valueless, as pure protein is not what the body needs to survive. Instead, they would place most value on the fatty meats and animal parts, like brains, organ meats and so on.

Oh and @ jaries - This is a discussion. Don't just flame me, calling my viewpoint retarded, without giving any explanation why. That doesn't in any way contribute and just exposes you as a fool.

Edited by j type, 07 August 2010 - 12:31 PM.

jaries

jaries
  • Members
  • 45 posts
  • xfire:jaries12
  • Steam ID:jaries12
QUOTE (j type @ Aug 8 2010, 04:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you actually took the time to learn a bit about nutrition, you would know that most of us, unless we're only eating absolute junk, are already getting more than enough protein in our diets. What we need is to eat more fat, which is contrary to what we're told to believe from the more mainstream 'experts', who basically just recommend more sugars.

One of the most important aspects of diet and general health, is managing the bacteria in your gut and promoting the growth of non-toxic and healthy bacteria-types. Those of us who have grown up on a diet of (even mildly) processed foods, will have cultivated the wrong kinds of bacteria, which are actually blocking vitamins and minerals from entering our blood stream. Such bacteria feeds off of the sugars that we consume and can cause all kinds of problems, both physical and psycological.

Of course you need a decent amount of protein, but by taking protein supplements of any kind, on top of a reasonably healthy diet (including oily fish, fatty meats and/or vegetarian alternatives), you are really just throwing something at your body that it just wont use.

If you look at, traditionally, the most healthy and longest lived cultures throughout history and what they ate, you'd be surprised that most of them would actually discard lean meat, viewing it as practically valueless, as pure protein is not what the body needs to survive. Instead, they would place most value on the fatty meats and animal parts, like brains, organ meats and so on.

Oh and @ jaries - This is a discussion. Don't just flame me, calling my viewpoint retarded, without giving any explanation why. That doesn't in any way contribute and just exposes you as a fool.

My god... I hope you aren't in a position of fitness, perhaps your a "doctor"? ... even then most of them don't know jack about ACTUAL fitness training.

We aren't talking about SURVIVING... we are talking about building muscles mass, and to be honest it is muscle mass that we don't really need, it is just for aesthetics mainly, but that is what favored upon this day in age. In saying that, we need MORE protein, more than just the amount to 'survive', much more as we are intentionally breaking down muscle tissue day-in, day-out through resistance and weight training.

If you want to bring up that bacteria crap... then you would also find that lots of dairy foods supposedly attract "bacteria", good and bad (both feeding off dairy). Well, that doesn't mean I'm not going to drink half a gallon of milk a day because some scientist with conflicting facts decides it's not good for me.

You are also wrong in your post that I comment on as there are only certain time you would decrease your carbohydrate intake (btw sugars are carbs if you didn't know this). First it would be if you were already overweight and wanted to seriously start losing weight, your diet will have you slowly deceasing the amount of carbohydrates (depending on how serious the weight issue is) and as for sugars... obviously in excess they are bad, but also they are great if you know when to take them.

You can't hand out general advice to people on fitness about gaining muscle, strength training and getting healthy in one sentence as all people are coming from different fitness and health backgrounds. You cannot give the same general advice to someone overweight who wants to gain muscle that you would give to some skinny guy who wants to gain muscle.

I could go on, but I believe I have said enough to call your viewpoint.
"I think it's so easy that even a pr0 gamer can do it... unless you're a f*cking retard"

-Dawei

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (jaries @ Aug 7 2010, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Random mix of incorrect info and patronizing nonsense.

Please re-read the OP. Perhaps you'll understand the overall drive of this thread. Then, once you've done that, re-read my posts and you should (hopefully) realise why you're posts aren't relevant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users