Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Starcraft 2 Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1762 replies to this topic

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (Destructor @ Sep 11 2010, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else been watching the GSL? It's so awesome to finally get to see how the Koreans are playing the game, there's some seriously high-level stuff going on when they play. Tasteless and Artosis are hilarious too! Took them a few days to get into the swing of casting SC2, they don't seem to have much experience at it, but already they're doing great.

indeed, i've been watching every game - i bought the pass, and have not regretted it

however, I am really disliking tasteless and artosis' commentary. their jokes are only funny 30% of the time, they dwell on jokes too long, they miss critical things on the minimap, starting at non-action for long periods, they never discuss early builds except to act like jerks and put down players who attempt non-orthodox builds, their analysis is often shallow and occasionally blatantly wrong, they still do not use the fucking production tab... i could go on all day

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
Edit: found it, nevermind.

Edited by retrovirus, 11 September 2010 - 03:09 PM.

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
  • Steam ID:Destruct0r
  • PSN:kracine
  • Wii:5323779916910511
QUOTE (DHC @ Sep 11 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
indeed, i've been watching every game - i bought the pass, and have not regretted it

however, I am really disliking tasteless and artosis' commentary. their jokes are only funny 30% of the time, they dwell on jokes too long, they miss critical things on the minimap, starting at non-action for long periods, they never discuss early builds except to act like jerks and put down players who attempt non-orthodox builds, their analysis is often shallow and occasionally blatantly wrong, they still do not use the fucking production tab... i could go on all day

First couple days that was true, if you caught the games on Friday though they were a lot better, production tab almost constantly up, and they were a bit more serious. Personally I love the casual joking style they do, but it's nice to balance that with actual serious commentating. Anyway I'm certain they'll be improving the casting at a rapid pace in the weeks to come.
Current blog entry: The Future of Gaming According to Bobby Kotick
You are Likely to be Eaten by a Grue

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
QUOTE (DHC @ Sep 11 2010, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

are you sure that it is their monitors? Artosis said during one game that its good they arent looking at his view or else everyone would be getting dizzy from all the panning.

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
  • Steam ID:Destruct0r
  • PSN:kracine
  • Wii:5323779916910511
QUOTE (retrovirus @ Sep 11 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are you sure that it is their monitors? Artosis said during one game that its good they arent looking at his view or else everyone would be getting dizzy from all the panning.

It's Tasteless's view, Artosis pans around and watches the stuff Tasteless doesn't, so they won't miss anything. In the first video of the GSL Gom actually messed up and showed Artosis' view for a while without them realizing it, man that was messy. We were staring at a hatchery for 3 minutes straight.
Current blog entry: The Future of Gaming According to Bobby Kotick
You are Likely to be Eaten by a Grue

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,512 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Cure, j type added you both.

Can't wait to play some, wanna get to at least a reasonable skill level.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
hey guys, i just finished a game that i would say is one of my best. i successfully micro'ed and macro'ed to win the game icon_biggrin.gif i didn't do anything fancy (stalkers and zealots only) but i managed the battle while building new buildings, new units and probes the whole time icon_biggrin.gif so ive uploaded the replay here and id like some feed back. do note: this is not an "exciting" replay. i really mean it when i say i dont do anything fancy. im looking for feedback on what i could do better and how i can improve.

(i think i could have expanded earlier but it worked out ok)

if i win this next match im about to start, i get rank 1 for my division icon_biggrin.gif

---edit---

i wont spoil it, but here is "the next match" it is more entertaining than the one earlier in this post.

Edited by Rakielis, 13 September 2010 - 01:06 AM.

LysIs514

LysIs514

Best RTS Contributor '09

• Members
  • 670 posts
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Sep 12 2010, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey guys, i just finished a game that i would say is one of my best. i successfully micro'ed and macro'ed to win the game icon_biggrin.gif i didn't do anything fancy (stalkers and zealots only) but i managed the battle while building new buildings, new units and probes the whole time icon_biggrin.gif so ive uploaded the replay here and id like some feed back. do note: this is not an "exciting" replay. i really mean it when i say i dont do anything fancy. im looking for feedback on what i could do better and how i can improve.

if i win this next match im about to start, i get rank 1 for my division icon_biggrin.gif

Nice game.
You stopped making probes. Make sure to always be making probes.
When you are ahead (you have an expansion and you are making more units than him and he can't win) you should think of ways your opponent can somehow come back. The big thing I'm thinking of is you didn't have an observer, if he spent money on a single dt, it would have caused a few problems.

There was a moment where you were waiting on your gateways to finish so you could turn them into warp gates. There were a few things you could be doing in that time that would take just a second. Like move your stalkers to attack. Stalkers are ranged and move faster than zealots, so the only thing you risk is maybe one or two hits from his voidrays. Then you can come back and warp in the warp gates.

Using more control groups for things like units would help.

AltCtrl: if i was gonna play ra3 i might as well go play wizard 101 too

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
if you watch the second replay, watch closely at 13:10-13:20. those 10 seconds change the game.

well ok maybe not quite that tight...from like 13:10 to 13:40

Edited by Rakielis, 13 September 2010 - 01:26 AM.

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
just played a bunch of 2v2s (plat league), and have found that no one ever expects a mass recall icon_biggrin.gif

good times

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (DHC @ Sep 13 2010, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just played a bunch of 2v2s (plat league), and have found that no one ever expects a mass recall icon_biggrin.gif

It's pretty much the same in 1v1s also. icon_razz.gif

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Sep 13 2010, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's pretty much the same in 1v1s also. icon_razz.gif

the difference being I care about my 1v1 rank, and dont want to take the risk icon_razz.gif

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (DHC @ Sep 13 2010, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the difference being I care about my 1v1 rank, and dont want to take the risk icon_razz.gif

Haha! Yea I know what you mean. I really don't mind doing the craziest stuff in 2v2, in 1v1 i'm a bit more standard.

Rob`

Rob`
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • xfire:noobnoobnoob1337
Switched to protoss for a few days, this is so much easier than playing zerg icon_smile.gif
Perhaps if this signature is witty enough, someone will finally love me.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
OK Rakielis, just watched your reps from those two games. I enjoyed the games. Just a few things to point out in addition to LysIs514's comments:

Game 1: Good job on piling on the pressure there. You prevented him from taking any expos very nicely. However, that amount of constant pressure is only really beneficial if your macro is good too. The amount of time you spent not making probes and adding on gateways/pylons when necessary, would have really hurt you if he'd played just a little bit better. One forcefield on his ramp would have bought him enough time to build a few more units to defend your first push and then put the pressure back on you.

Game 2: Again, a good amount of pressure, but this time, you put down your expo a bit faster, which worked out very well, except for the fact that the nexus sat there for quite some time before any probes were transferred or produced, which negated the benefits of the early expo somewhat. Sneaking the probe in was a nice move, especially considering the plan you had for it. Sneaking a probe in at a time like that is an excellent thing to do, even if it's just for the purpose of scouting.

General stuff: Keep making probes!!! I noticed that, considering the style you played in the first game, you got your gas way too early. Or, to put it another way, you put 3 probes on a gas build at 13/14 and didn't spend it until 4 or 5 minutes later. In the second game you spent your gas a bit sooner, as you went 1 gate core, which got your first stalker out earlier, so big deal there.

Watching the second game from your point of view (which is such an amazing replay feature btw), I noticed that you were paying a bit of attention to your minimap, which is important.

On the other hand, I noticed that you get a bit of 'tunnel vision' on the front lines. This will definitely be helped a lot by practising your macro and using hotkeys a bit more, as you'll have more to focus on than just your attack units.

On the subject of hotkeys, issues such as misplacing your rally-points as you did with your nexus in game 1, despite being really easy mistakes to make, are again helped a bit by learning to use hotkeys a bit better. If you had your army and/or forward pylon hotkeyed, you wouldn't be in as much of a rush to get all of the clicking done to get stuff produced and built and then jump back to your army again, leading to fewer mistakes.

All in alll - GGs, keep it up. icon_smile.gif

Edited by j type, 13 September 2010 - 04:00 AM.

Bl!ndf!re

Bl!ndf!re
  • Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • xfire:tehlickerer
QUOTE (Rob` @ Sep 13 2010, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Switched to protoss for a few days, this is so much easier than playing zerg icon_smile.gif

im freely switching between z and t, keeping it fresh yo. cool.gif

weirdly though, i was almost even win/loss wise (plat league about a week ago) about 92-91 i think was the closest i got to being .500, i then went on a rampant winning streak and ended up over 2 days and won 14 out of 18 games (i was shitting my pants with glee about the possibility to get moved up to diamond eventually) when all of a sudden i did a 180 turn around and had a few days of horrifying losses (i expected a few loses when the system would test me against higher players) my record has evened out to where it was before only a game or 2 above .500 (108-107 atm)

im at a loss for words to explain my luck/inconsistency/schizophrenia lol

QUOTE (Husky @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A couple of Mutas softened up to the red, a couple of other Mutas softened up to the black, cause they're dead.

QUOTE (slartibartfast of earth @ Sep 28 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ps my disablity in my hands makes my typing crap sry

QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd hit it tbh. Especially if it's dead.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (Bl!ndf!re @ Sep 13 2010, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im at a loss for words to explain my luck/inconsistency/schizophrenia lol

Here's 2 possibles: matchmaking system. icon_smile.gif

Bl!ndf!re

Bl!ndf!re
  • Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • xfire:tehlickerer
QUOTE (j type @ Sep 13 2010, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's 2 possibles: matchmaking system. icon_smile.gif

haha i thought so at first when i lost like 4-5 games in a row, but then shit started to get out of hand dcolon.png

QUOTE (Husky @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A couple of Mutas softened up to the red, a couple of other Mutas softened up to the black, cause they're dead.

QUOTE (slartibartfast of earth @ Sep 28 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ps my disablity in my hands makes my typing crap sry

QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd hit it tbh. Especially if it's dead.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
Argh!!! Why do I play random 2v2s!!!!?!?? They're so stupid, but addictive.. I always tell myself, "I'll just play a few to get warmed up", but then I end up winning a couple in a row, then matchmaking decides to throw me in with some complete noob who doesn't know how to make units.. :'(

Edited by j type, 13 September 2010 - 09:05 AM.

Cure

Cure
  • Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • Steam ID:Cure_IMR
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Sep 13 2010, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

---edit---

i wont spoil it, but here is "the next match" it is more entertaining than the one earlier in this post.

I watched the replays dude. Both games you played good and I liked the early aggression you did/kept doing. I would say you've got a good standard of everything and now they just need tweeking. I'll list things for you.

At one point you had your nexus rallied to a assimilator and there were about 6 probes harvesting it which means you had 3 idle's. Never rally it there just incase you forget. I'd say the same for taking probes off gas for minerals or putting one or two on. Don't do it all until you train yourself to remember.

You done well with building units early game, like when your warpgate was being researched. This is something you wanna keep doing early game, theres no point having an extra gateway if your not making a unit from it. Same applies to your warp gate. Also try to make pylons closer to the battle. With highground bases put one by the cliff and when you get sight, you can warp units directly into the dudes base.

You had alot of resources banking and thats not something you want. Things like a robo are essential for late game (Against P I open 1/2 gate robo as standard), so when your banking that much just throw one down. On average 1 base can support 4 production buildings so once you throw down the FE throw an extra gateway down.

Use hotkeys, in the second game you like never had units hotkeyed. And not just one subgroup, dependent on the unit mix varies on my hotkeys but I normally have 2/3 groups for my units.

Sentries, use them more often. The unit is sooo underrated. GS reduces all ranged attacks by 2 which is something you really want and forcefields can be useful. On Desert Oasis you could have blocked the zealots on the ramp and just shot the VR's down.

Your micro is getting good. You done pretty well with your stalkers so just keep working on it. I've recently started playing with all health bars on which is so useful for micro'ing/focus firing.

Your macro still needs abit of work, you need alot more probes. When people say always build probes, it took me a long time to realise you should litreally always be building a probe. In some cases though if your vs'ing an all in its ok to skip probes.

You should be upgrading more, like on desert oasis you should have gone for blink vs voidrays. Weapon/armour upgrades are things you want.

Counters. From the games I seen you should have teched alittle bit to counter your enemy. On DO you should have gone for blink against VR's/zealots, it doesn't take that much apm but you'll soon learn to get really good with it, also blink is the counter to collossus. On LT you should have really got a robo/immortal and even if you dont need immortals you should have a robo for observers.

Chronoboost, use it more especially early game.

That's abit it dude. Like I said you're doing pretty good and things just need tweeking now. Do that thing day9 said like always think 'what am I doing?', that helps me keep on track of most things in the game and it will boost your APM.

Hope that helps dude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users