Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Starcraft 2 Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1762 replies to this topic

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • xfire:360shunted
  • Steam ID:shunted
  • Xbox / GFWL:shunted
  • PSN:shunted
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
yeah so i kinda started playing recently, add me shunted

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
I played a game that was very difficult. It went into the midgame but I could not figure out why he was able to make more units than me. It was TvT on LT, I contained him to his main and nat, and took the liberty of expanding everywhere. I had massive income, was maxed at 200/200 but i still couldnt crack the shell. I realized that for some reason he outproduced me on vikings and I couldnt gain air superiority.

I finally got battlecruisers and took over the match but had to watch the replay to see why he had more air than I did.

It turns out I had 153 scvs rofl.

TheBase

TheBase
  • Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • xfire:thewutangclan
Hey retro, why aren't you in Diamond? You have over 900 points and an okay record...

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
QUOTE (TheBase @ Sep 13 2010, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey retro, why aren't you in Diamond? You have over 900 points and an okay record...

Hidden MMR isn't high enough most likely. Points and Win-Loss ratio mean nothing.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
QUOTE (TheBase @ Sep 13 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

icon_biggrin.gif

you might have to refresh

im diamond now icon_smile.gif

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
NEXUS CANT LIFT OFF??
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Sep 13 2010, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey guys, i just finished a game that i would say is one of my best. i successfully micro'ed and macro'ed to win the game icon_biggrin.gif i didn't do anything fancy (stalkers and zealots only) but i managed the battle while building new buildings, new units and probes the whole time icon_biggrin.gif so ive uploaded the replay here and id like some feed back. do note: this is not an "exciting" replay. i really mean it when i say i dont do anything fancy. im looking for feedback on what i could do better and how i can improve.

(i think i could have expanded earlier but it worked out ok)

if i win this next match im about to start, i get rank 1 for my division icon_biggrin.gif

---edit---

i wont spoil it, but here is "the next match" it is more entertaining than the one earlier in this post.

Watching the first game taught me you can chrono boost the cool down on warp gates..

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Sep 14 2010, 04:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Watching the first game taught me you can chrono boost the cool down on warp gates..

you can chrono boost every building doing anything at all (except for the part where they are actually warping in the building itself)

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
Hey Rakielis,
I saw the "next game", and some things you could work on are constantly producing probes. You said you have improved so just keep working on that. There was a point at around 3:20 where you werent producing probes for almost 3 minutes.
Its a good thing your opponent wasnt either.

You expanded but didnt move your probes over until much later, and when you did you took too many leaving the main with only 3-4 mineral miners.

After you expanded, you could have afforded more warpgates but remained on 3. And from those 3 you werent constantly producing and this let your minerals to near 1000, and he was able to overtake you at the watchtower.

But, you had an excellent understanding of what he had, found a hole, and won with a nice tech switch.

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • xfire:360shunted
  • Steam ID:shunted
  • Xbox / GFWL:shunted
  • PSN:shunted
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
so my latest pvt replay
http://rapidshare.co...i_do_better.rar

the guy was a noob.. but still; what could do better

Edited by shunted, 14 September 2010 - 09:07 PM.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (shunted @ Sep 15 2010, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so my latest pvt replay
http://rapidshare.co...i_do_better.rar

the guy was a noob.. but still; what could do better

K first of all, lol at that guy. He should have left the game 20 mins (at least) before he did.

But, in regards to what you could have done better:

Well, like Rakielis, you have some decent decision making skills, but suffer with tunnel vision a bit when you're attacking/harassing. Your original plan was clear, and a pretty solid one. Most of the things I was thinking while watching the replay, you eventually did. And that's the key to all of it really. You mostly are doing good stuff, but it all happens a little bit too slowly. You went for a very very heavy rush build, cutting a whole bunch of probes to get your core, gas and 3 more gates by the 15 supply mark, but no units game out of those gates for a very very long time. If you'd been building probes the whole time, the rush might have actually happened, instead of transitioning into more of a harassment-style game. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, you could produced the same amount of uniits with one gate as you did with 4, for the whole first half of the game. It wasn't until the very very late game that you started using all of them.

Also, with regards to that first rush idea. Against a T who walls off, there's always a very strong chance you won't be able to bust up the ramp with it, which, I see, is why you sent out your probe to build that pylon by his main. Good move, but you could have actually got your Robo before those 3 extra gates and had your obs in there to spot for a good attack position. It was unfortunate that your pylon got spotted and taken down, but if you'd sent your pylon in a bit closer to the time you actually wanted to push, rather than 5 mins before, it would have lasted a bit longer, particularly if you had units pressuring the front at the same time.

Make more probes!!!!! You should have had twice as many as you did, considering the length of the game. Luckily for you, he only ever had less than 20 at any given time.

The position you were in, from about the 10 minute mark was a great spot to be in. He'd gone barracks and gas before depot, but never even left his base with it. You had total map control. Despite having siege tanks, he expanded(or tried to) everywhere other than his nat, which would have been super easy to defend with just a few tanks. Great job on shutting down his expos and keeping him in his base, btw. That's very good to see.

However, while you know that he's inside his base, and you're already on 2, take another expo and macro up some units too. If you'd taken your 3rd about 5 mins earlier, while making units, you would never have lost to his feeble mid game push, which actually looked pretty scary considering the units you didn't have.

If you have the econ advantage, the unit advantage AND map control, there's absolutely no reason to not keep on expanding and getting upgrades, while harassing a little bit, the way you did.

Also, try to make sure that, when you're attacking with a bunch of units, that all your units are firing and in position to fire. There were lots of times where only half your army was shooting at the same time. But, other than that, good focus-firing, and some nice unit snipes.

(Oh, one more little tip. You had some phoenixes sitting back at home for a long time that you didn't use. Remember that they are extremely effective, even if you just use them to pick up units off the ground. I don't know if you knew this already or not, but you can actually pick up tanks while in siege-mode with Phoenix, which would have saved a few stalkers and zealots lives. icon_smile.gif

.... aaanndd, I think that's all I can think of at the moment.

Enjoyed watching that noob get rolled tho, GG.

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_
Haha fuck you IdrA.
j type: icon_smile.gif

Edited by Ineffable, 15 September 2010 - 06:11 AM.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (Ineffable @ Sep 15 2010, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
stuff that i should have spoilered myself... icon_surprised.gif

Lol spoiler that, dude!

Damn LotzePrime did play well though. Game 2 was just lucky and a bit on the cheesy side of things, but his play in game 3 was excellent. The amount of pressure he put on IdrA was absolutely perfect. He blocked most of Idra's attempts to harass and forcefielded every single time he tried to push back. top notch play from both players, but that must have been (well, it clearly was) infuriating for IdrA. GGs

Edited by j type, 15 September 2010 - 11:38 AM.

Rob`

Rob`
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • xfire:noobnoobnoob1337
I think tasteless should wait until they're in different flats before telling idra to spread overlords more

Edited by Rob`, 15 September 2010 - 06:01 AM.

Perhaps if this signature is witty enough, someone will finally love me.

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Sep 15 2010, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol spoiler that, dude!

way to quote it dickface!

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (retrovirus @ Sep 15 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
way to quote it dickface!

My bad..

Yozki

Yozki
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • xfire:Yozki
  • Steam ID:Yozki
lol I've been playing against some RL friends (The kind of newbie that likes to build up an army for 30 mins) on FFA, I take care of 3 then the 4th comes raping with void rays =(

Cure

Cure
  • Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • Steam ID:Cure_IMR
QUOTE (shunted @ Sep 13 2010, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah so i kinda started playing recently, add me shunted

'shunted' alone isn't enough, you should have a friend code aswell which people need to add you.

LysIs514

LysIs514

Best RTS Contributor '09

• Members
  • 670 posts
QUOTE (Yozki @ Sep 15 2010, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol I've been playing against some RL friends (The kind of newbie that likes to build up an army for 30 mins) on FFA, I take care of 3 then the 4th comes raping with void rays =(

Unfortunately the only way of dealing with this, I've found, is to not let them get that many.
Or play Protoss.

You know what would balance it out though? If zerg had some sort of flying baneling, that suicided into air units.

AltCtrl: if i was gonna play ra3 i might as well go play wizard 101 too

Rob`

Rob`
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • xfire:noobnoobnoob1337
That sounds novel, tell us more!
Perhaps if this signature is witty enough, someone will finally love me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users