Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Starcraft 2 Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1762 replies to this topic

Rob`

Rob`
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • xfire:noobnoobnoob1337
Promoted from silver to plat.

Excuse me while I find a monitor to hump.

Edited by Rob`, 30 July 2010 - 08:28 PM.

Perhaps if this signature is witty enough, someone will finally love me.

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
Yeah that was my problem exactly, I'd be holding off okay, and then she'd mess up one side and that side would fall apart and then they'd rush into my base and it was all over. Also, later on she uses this aoe ability that does tons of damage. Maybe you can like hold her off by sacrificing smaller units on her like marines and send them one at a time while tanks hit her, I dunno.

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Cure

Cure
  • Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • Steam ID:Cure_IMR
QUOTE (DethFanatic @ Jul 30 2010, 01:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When it says rank, does that mean for all of the eu or just out of the league your in (like im gold is it all golds?).

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,868 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Jul 30 2010, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Correct. icon_razz.gif
I guess I have to start using shift+attack more.

Yeah, I've been using waypoints lately for my scout, but I usually don't queue them up until after I've already manually done the initial scout.

What are way points? >_<. I know what a rally point is, and it's set from your command center, nexus, etc.
Are way points those dotted lines that seem to pop up for me when ever I don't want them to? How does that even happen? They have fucked me up maybe twice. No idea what it is really..

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Jul 31 2010, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What are way points? >_<. I know what a rally point is, and it's set from your command center, nexus, etc.
Are way points those dotted lines that seem to pop up for me when ever I don't want them to? How does that even happen? They have fucked me up maybe twice. No idea what it is really..

You can create Way Points by holding down shift and issuing orders to your units. They can be immensely useful, especially in SC2. Some examples of when and how to use waypoints:

• (If you're P or T) Tell your worker to build a building then shift right-click back on the minerals. That way he'll head straight back after building.
  • (again for P and T only) You can shift-queue multiple buildings (even buildings of different types), just by shift queuing each order.
  • During a battle, you can press shift+A and then left click on a series of units, this will set up waypoints that your army will follow, so you can prioritise which units you want to focus fire.
  • Using siege tanks, you can hold down shift, then right-click, then press E, then release shift - that way, the tank will move to the position you selected, then siege immediately. You can also automate the unsiege-move-siege actions by selecting a sieged tank, pressing D-shift-rightclick to new location-E-release shift. This can save you massive amounts of time when you're trying to micro your army while repositioning your tanks.
  • If you want to take a longer, less direct path somewhere, but don't want to be controlling your unit(s) every step of the way, just create waypoints around the map with shift-right click or shift a-click (if you wanted to attack-move).

Edited by j type, 31 July 2010 - 01:05 AM.

kaptein_knivkamp

kaptein_knivkamp
  • Members
  • 965 posts
  • xfire:kapteinknivkamp
  • Xbox / GFWL:bayersk
Hey, I was just curious if you guys wanted to share some 1v1 tactics for zerg .. basically against any race. Anything from common build orders that you will encounter (and have to counter) to simple useful tips and tricks. Feel free to post youtube links or replays icon_smile.gif

I used to play WC3 a lot and barely even touched SC1, so I've been spending a lot of time getting into build orders and ways of countering unit combos. I'm usually capable of seeing ways of countering the enemy, but something is missing. Maybe I need to be more aggressive about expanding.

I have a feeling that being an efficient zerg player relies on expanding a lot of different hatcheries and using the queen's "spawn larva" ability a lot (having a queen for each hatchery).

I'm basically just trying to start a discussion. The rts forum needs more zerg stuff! pp_smiley7.gif

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
First things first - Check this out, if you haven't already, for some tried and tested build orders for Zerg.

Secondly, and more importantly, hail to thee, my fellow Zerg brethren! (Although I actually play Random for the moment, I would still call my main Zerg)

Yea, generally you'll want to have 1 Queen per hatchery, but having 3 queens on 2 hatches in the early game can really help you a lot against early harassment, but also with the all important creep-spreading.

How do you like to have your hotkeys set up? I prefer to have all my hatches on 5, then each of my 'hatchery queens' (the ones I spawn larvae with) on 6, 7, 8, etc. I find that really helps me to keep up with the larva spawns, but it also means that I can jump to any base, just by double-tapping the hotkey for the relevant queen.

Edited by j type, 31 July 2010 - 03:16 AM.

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
First 2 placement matches:

Raped by 2 battle cruisers trying to go full siege, obviously I would have been able to easily counter this had I scouted.
Second match dropped out early just after killing most of his scv's with 1 marine.

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_
In Silver League, how the fuck did this happen?

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_
If a Terran player is building up a massive force consisting of Marauders and Marines, how do I counter as Z? Lots o' banelings and just make them burrow outside of their base until they come out?

kaptein_knivkamp

kaptein_knivkamp
  • Members
  • 965 posts
The problem I'm having is generally macro related. I allways try to jump to some kind of 2 unit combo early on, upgrading the hatchery to lair right after researching speedlings. I usually combine the lings with eighter roaches or hydras.

QUOTE (j type @ Jul 31 2010, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First things first - Check this out, if you haven't already, for some tried and tested build orders for Zerg.

Acutually, I have. I'll definately be using it more.

Yea, generally you'll want to have 1 Queen per hatchery, but having 3 queens on 2 hatches in the early game can really help you a lot against early harassment, but also with the all important creep-spreading.

I feel that the problem I'm having with expansion is in getting a steady economy whilst pumping units at the same time. Especially when I find myself expanding to multiple hatcheries I feel that the demand of having drones all the time is a bit overwhelming (cost wise) when you also rely on general macro stuff such as tech and building units.

I allways try to have one queen for each hatchery btw.

How do you like to have your hotkeys set up? I prefer to have all my hatches on 5, then each of my 'hatchery queens' (the ones I spawn larvae with) on 6, 7, 8, etc. I find that really helps me to keep up with the larva spawns, but it also means that I can jump to any base, just by double-tapping the hotkey for the relevant queen.

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll start doing this. I haven't used any specific hotkey set-ups yet, considering the fact that I just got into this game 4 days ago. I have pretty much just randomly used hotkeys to control my units at this point icon_biggrin.gif

Edit: I've been testing the 15 pool fast expand build. My income is much better now icon_smile.gif

Edited by kaptein_knivkamp, 31 July 2010 - 01:08 PM.

kaptein_knivkamp

kaptein_knivkamp
  • Members
  • 965 posts
I don't know, somebody advised me to not hang around in the campaign briefing room/cantina/armory for long amounts of time. Apparently your framerate or something starts going up and doesn't stop until your graphics card is fried.

Just something I heard.

russian_neo

russian_neo
  • Members
  • 60 posts
  • xfire:russian_neo
  • Interests:I like rts, fps some rpgs and some racing games.......also very into mythology and history...(a big roman and WWII freak) i study guns and their make up. I love almoust anything that can kill...
Well, i got the game midnight release, and this is one of the first concious moments of this week that im not playing the game, (at work), so i decided to post here cause saw the campaign convo and wanted to contribute =) :

The campaign proved to be very difficult i tried brutal, got to mission like number 5-6 and was like screw it im not that 1337 so just played on hard for the rest of the campaign.
For the final mission if you want to do it on hard, What i did is just mass tanks+ science vessel + banshee. I took out the air support in the previous mission. In this one i did not try to take out the nydus worms, because had to use banshees to fight off the swarm at the edges of mah base! The front paths just got destroyed by the siege tanks, especially if you updrade them like i did. I tried to call the mercenary tanks any time i could. Science vessles gave me the chance to keep all my tanks. When kerrigan would come i would try to use the artifact to focus fire on her. Most of the time that meant that all my banshees and 1 side of the defense would be completly destroyed, so i would split up my army to defend both sides, until i could pump the units needed to reinforce both. The game ended with the artifact havin 20% life, my base lifted, and kerrigan barely dying haha.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
you should be scouting and maybe try an early roach push when you see what they are doing. you want to try and hit them right as they are building the 3rd and 4th barracks (which usually come very close together). here are some fun things you can do that only work if you scout

no detector? try and secretly build up a stealth force to wreck them.
-as Z, i think that some infestors that are borrowed and then sent all the way to the back of the enemy base (probe line) and then spitting out a bunch of infested terrans is a GREAT way to abuse burrow
-as P, send a probe to somewhere way out of the way and build a pylon and a DT tower. warp in like 5 of them and you can either kill the infantry or you can kill the probes. they do 45 damage a piece but have almost no health so be careful.
-as T, ghosts vs P and banshees vs Z. with ghosts you will want to mostly be EMPing and with banshees, well you get to wreck their base. take out important buildings, especially buildings that are required to build detectors lol

i can offer a bit of thoughts on how to stop this from the P perspective...

vs Z - get a cannon at your front ramp asap. make sure its protected. make sure to wall your base effectively and leave a handful of zealots in the way set to hold position.
vs T - observers. tons of them. you want one in every group of units you have. also, put some cannons by your probes. and have stalkers at the ready. maybe even get some phoenixes.
vs P - cannons for DTs and observers for observers (lawl)

Snormy

Snormy
  • Members
  • 229 posts
QUOTE (kaptein_knivkamp @ Jul 31 2010, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know, somebody advised me to not hang around in the campaign briefing room/cantina/armory for long amounts of time. Apparently your framerate or something starts going up and doesn't stop until your graphics card is fried.

Just something I heard.

lol

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Pheonix are good vs banshee because they're light and have low HP.

That is until they start making vikings.

The Other Kyle

The Other Kyle
  • Members
  • 419 posts
  • Steam ID:five_one
QUOTE (kaptein_knivkamp @ Jul 31 2010, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just something I heard.

Yeah pretty sure that isn't true. I left the cantina up when I went to work for a 6 hour shift and when I came back it was fine.
"Suit up boys, that's right, it's the weekend."

Cure

Cure
  • Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • Steam ID:Cure_IMR
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Jul 31 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pheonix are good vs banshee because they're light and have low HP.

That is until they start making vikings.

Yeah not to mention banshees dont shoot air so one phoneix > infinite banshees.

Btw to add what Rak was saying, warp gates are really awesome if your probe line gets attacked and your army is out of position, you can just warp in units. Another reason why warp gates are so vital.

Edited by Cure, 31 July 2010 - 03:23 PM.

kaptein_knivkamp

kaptein_knivkamp
  • Members
  • 965 posts
QUOTE (The Other Kyle @ Jul 31 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah pretty sure that isn't true. I left the cantina up when I went to work for a 6 hour shift and when I came back it was fine.

Aha. Probably just a rumor then icon_smile.gif

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (Cure @ Jul 31 2010, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah not to mention banshees dont shoot air so one phoneix > infinite banshees.

Btw to add what Rak was saying, warp gates are really awesome if your probe line gets attacked and your army is out of position, you can just warp in units. Another reason why warp gates are so vital.

Don't say that because if I had 9 banshee's I'd laugh at one pheonix, kill your nexus and then most of your probes then make some vikings while I sit back on my huge lead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)