Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shogun 2 : Total War

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan
QUOTE (j type @ Jun 28 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I agree that the subsequent games were more polished with regards to their presentation and interface, but with all of the new features that were implemented came more problems and all of them, to some extent (some less than others, like Rome, for example) suffered from being over-bloated with features and management-mechanics.

What you call primitive, I call simplicity. I think, and I'm sorry for repeating myself here, that Shogun's strength was it's simplicity, both in campaign scope and management controls. I've welcomed a lot of the new features in the other Total War games and, of course, the upgraded graphics engine, but all of them have felt a bit bloated or convoluted in one way or another.

I don't think that Shogun was perfect, which is why I'm so excited for this new sequel. In fact, ever since I played Rome and Medieval, I've been crying out for a remake of Shogun. But not for the sake of making radical changes to Shogun itself, but more for the sake of simplifying those subsequent games.

How do the Total War games need to be simplified at all?

Most of the changes were improvements, adding features to affect gameplay or streamlining something from the game before.
The only change I'd like to see are the countryside buildings they added in Empire: Total War. I'd much rather control all construction through the city and see the improvements happen around, rather than have to click them one-by-one.

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (TheShadowNinja @ Jun 28 2010, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do the Total War games need to be simplified at all?

Most of the changes were improvements, adding features to affect gameplay or streamlining something from the game before.
The only change I'd like to see are the countryside buildings they added in Empire: Total War. I'd much rather control all construction through the city and see the improvements happen around, rather than have to click them one-by-one.

Man, I'd love me some Medieval Total war with like, a bit of like.. Hm.. Custom building sort of aspect so the game could be an even BIGGER time sink. Like, custom walls and building placements. (What I liked to do was set up catapults and ballistae in the streets by the gate so when they broke the gate down they'd be hit by my catapults and then I'd engage the force from the side with pikemen to keep them pinned while the catapult and balistate murdered them.

This way I could make a super funnel of death!

There was also times when I just facepalmed when lookin at how the walls were setup. I am a much better god damn seige master then these assholes at Creative let me set up how my forts and cities work!

But seriously I'm like, A son of Dorn or Perturabo here when it comes to siege warfare.

kmjnhb

kmjnhb
  • Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • xfire:kmjnhb
  • Interests:games, world history, mythology, religion and culture, anime, food.
  • Steam ID:Hallvardgn
  • Xbox / GFWL:BEER4Hallvard
Demo is out on steam.
Can't wait for the full game.
3 weeks to go >.<

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
So what do y'all think of the demo?

I'm pretty pleased with it. There are a few bugs but they're minor enough to not put me off wanting to get the game at (or soon after) release. Some of the 'Japanese' voices are horrific though.

kmjnhb

kmjnhb
  • Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • xfire:kmjnhb
  • Interests:games, world history, mythology, religion and culture, anime, food.
  • Steam ID:Hallvardgn
  • Xbox / GFWL:BEER4Hallvard
I was hyped for this game from the moment it was announced, but after the demo I'm in love icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users