Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sleep Paralysis/hypnagogia/lucid Dreaming

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
QUOTE (Dark Ainur @ May 28 2010, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had nightmares where I wake up and can't scream or move much. I've also been aware that I was dreaming but haven't been able to alter the dream. The first one is not fun.

thats weird. usually being aware that you're in a dream is the first step to lucid dreaming. i remember the first few times when i started to lucid dream when i was a child. one was a nightmare- i was being chased by ghosts, then everything kinda came to a stop (like freeze time heh) as i released that this wasn't logical. i was able to control my dream from there. i think it helps if you just stop in your dreams and look around. lucid dreams are pretty fun.

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan
It annoys me that the few times I actually tried to achieve a lucid dream, I succeeded... somewhat.

As soon as I mentally told myself "I'm dreaming", a countdown basically started.
I was able to control my dream, but I was rapidly gaining awareness and the next instinctual step from realizing I was in a dream was becoming fully aware and waking up.

But I was able to manipulate the world for a good minute or so, and it was great.

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Dr Dozzy

Dr Dozzy
  • GA Colonel
  • 609 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:215
  • Company:Gamma
I've been trying to get into lucid dreaming, slowly getting better at it. Although it seems most times I fall into them by accident, such as pushing a button that turns my light on and off, then thinking in the dream, huh thats just like a lucid dream method. All of a sudden I am aware and lucid.

On the topic on nightmares though, I can recall when I stopped having them in my childhood. I used to have a re-curing dream of trying to turn on the light-switch in my room, but then the bulb would blow. And I would sense and feel, very deeply, some almost evil force in the darkness, that sometimes had form. Most of the time I would awake from fear, but one night I stood up to it, screamed, and white light seemed to pour out from around me. I've never had what I would call a nightmare since.
Eternally tired
IZGIZZIS...
of course!

TeamIsCow

TeamIsCow
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, TF2, Starcraft2 (soon !!!)
I remember having some very strong lucid dreams in which I could fly at will.
I knew it was a dream. But I had full controll over the flight over my neighbourhood.

I don't care if it was real or not, cause it was awesome!
I've not been able to do this at will, unfortunately.

Edited by TeamIsCow, 08 June 2010 - 04:19 PM.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
I've experienced both lucid dreams and sleep paralasys, with "shadow people" included.

I have had 2 lucid dreams in my entire life. I didn't try to induce them. If you could only dream like that every single night.. maybe we wouldn't ever want to be awake anymore?

Sleep paralasys. I woke up and looked around the room with only my eyes. There was a cloudy, shapeless, black figure in front of me. I don't know why, but it wasn't scary. I tried to yell just to see if I could, and I couldn't. About 3 seconds later the black cloud sort of slid down and disappeared around my feet. I was able to move again. o.O

This was probably 4 years ago.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

Patchy

Patchy
  • Members
  • 551 posts
  • Steam ID:Kilo November
Have experienced lucid dreams that I induced after months upon months of keeping dream diaries and overall just trying to become aware of my dreams. Lately I've been too busy with school and life to really bother, but I do find that checking clocks still works in dreams as a reality check. It's almost like an instinct now when I see a clock in a dream to want to double check it, except I've been ignoring my dreams and not really caring now, so I just wake up when I do see a clock. Kind of disappointing, I want to get back into it when my life calms down.

What the hell is this sleep paralysis stuff? That sounds absolutely frightening. I don't know how you couldn't be scared if you saw some shadow standing over you and you couldn't move. I'm assuming you were awake when that happened? Or was it a dream? Maybe you were so tired you barely registered what was happening. I've done that more than a few times, like when my pager goes off at some random time in the middle of the night. It's loud as hell, so it definitely wakes me up, but I just sort of lie there barely realizing that it's for something actually bad like a car crash and not some bullshit false alarm. Then a few moments later I go holy fuck and kick it into high gear.

Where you scared after you could move again?
I'm right behind you, Mr. Denton.

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta
I can tell the OP might want this topic to focus more on "natural" sleep phenomena and not "tripping balls" on drugs, but I will bring it up because the two are intimately related.

It's been posited that the pineal gland may, sometimes, produce DMT in small amounts during REM sleep. the constituents of DMT (chemical precursors) have been found in the gland, which also produces Melatonin, a chemical that induces sleep and may also produce psychedelic effects.

I've had a pretty interesting history with sleep. As far as I know, I have had one lucid dream. But there are times that I definitely think I remember waking up from a lucid dream. There are 3 dreams I've had (I wish I documented this throughout my life), 2 of which were recurring, the other was lucid, that I remember.

The first, which occurred a lot during my childhood and preteen years, usually involved me finding myself in a decadent white room, almost harem-like, with pillars, and a tiger lying on it's stomach. Nothing spectacular happened other than me feeling really weird and trying to navigate the room, suddenly I would feel the sensation of an abundance of milk, or cream, the room and tiger were no more, and all that was was an endless expanse of cream, with an engine core (lol) blackened by years of use, seemingly floating in the milk, and I would then get the sensation of feeling all of this in my mouth, and then I'd wake up. I stopped having this dream when I moved out of my original neighborhood (Capitol Hill, Seattle)

The second occurred many times during my teenage years, I found myself somewhere, the location was different sometimes, but the one I always remember is on the sidewalk, by the fire station, in my dad's old neighborhood. I'd be running from some unknown threat, but I was unable to run, only walk, helplessly, as if I was walking through knee-deep water. This also stopped hapenning when I moved again.

The last happened in high school, but for some reason I was in my old middle school in the dream. I was in class, and suddenly out the window were small, robot-like aliens that came in and generally menaced the class. All I felt was collective terror, but I don't remember any actual specific violence. I ran from the aliens into the bathroom, where they followed me. As one approached I realized how silly it all was, and that I had to have been dreaming. I "woke up" in my bed, at night, unable to move, and as I looked out my window, the alien was still after me. It came through and I was totally helpless, I just started sweating and breathing really hard, and then I woke up for real (or is reality a dream too? lol), drenched in sweat, hot as hell, and nauseous. I went to the bathroom and puked, after that I was still trembling and weak, but that morning I was back to normal.

After that, my dreams have been pretty "ordinary", as in, surreal, not memorable, or lucid, or recurring. But also since then, mostly during high school and early college, I picked up a lot of drug habits, including amphetamine, and I've developed some insomnia that comes and goes. Sometimes I sleep normal, sometimes I can only sleep 2 hours max a night, and sometimes I "wake up" not having felt that I slept at all.

I bought melatonin from the store, and it helps sometimes, at least a lot more than valerian, but I'm skeptical of it as a treatment. This is probably because it's over-the-counter, I never consulted a doctor, and I tend to take it indiscriminately, usually 2 tabs if I'm struggling to get to sleep. The problem has been happening much less since I started working out, but it's still there.

I read on the wiki though, that melatonin may have an effect on REM sleep, and I think it may be worth trying a really high dose (I don't think there's a toxic limit(also, it's been done before according to wiki)) to see if I can induce a more vivid or lucid dream. Also, having just watched Inception finally, I'm really tempted to get into lucid dreaming.

I am a veteran of Salvia Divinorum, it can be insightful, divine, but mostly ineffable. It's a really mind-blowing way to uncover what your mind is capable of, though. It's very difficult to grasp and control what you are experiencing, I don't really think I've been fully able to, but it's crazy because just like inception, you can think much faster and a lot of time seems to pass in 5 minutes.

What I really want to try though is DMT. Now that I've got money and sources for making my own ayahuasca, this could happen very soon. People say you can share hallucinations with Ayahuasca...

just one step closer to inception, man! lol
The Blackman is God

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
Woah, I forgot I even made this thread.

QUOTE (Patchy @ Nov 5 2010, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm assuming you were awake when that happened? Or was it a dream? Maybe you were so tired you barely registered what was happening.

During sleep paralysis, the part of your brain that feels/senses fear is stimulated, which is why you see all kinds of crazy, scary shit. It's not a dream, because you are fully conscious. It's basically an extremely vivid hallucination.

I just saw Inception for the first time yesterday (inb4 MONTHS LATE LOLOL), wtb a machine like that IRL. This "Salvia Divinorum" thing seems interesting.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Nov 5 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woah, I forgot I even made this thread.

During sleep paralysis, the part of your brain that feels/senses fear is stimulated, which is why you see all kinds of crazy, scary shit. It's not a dream, because you are fully conscious. It's basically an extremely vivid hallucination.

I just saw Inception for the first time yesterday (inb4 MONTHS LATE LOLOL), wtb a machine like that IRL. This "Salvia Divinorum" thing seems interesting.

Salvia is a dissociative, but also targets those areas of the brain which deal with pain, which is why a lot of people try salvia and never want to do it again. I think, though, that the main reason is its dissociative effects, most people will only do dissociatives once, (like DXM and Ketamine). The sensation of dissociation can be very upsetting for people, especially if they don't know what they're getting into, thinking they're gonna ride a unicorn on a rainbow through a kaleidescope tunnel when in truth the effect is more like your soul leaving your body (dissociation), complete eradication of the notion of "self" and your soul evolving into a new, unknowable paradigm (ego death), and the experience of things wholly unreal, that is, seemingly not constructed from things one remembers from reality (tripping balls). I had read about it beforehand and knew what I was getting into, to a degree, therefore was more receptive to it, and I think this is why I was fortunate enough to have never had a bad trip.

So yeah, I'd say read about it, know what you're getting into, and give yourself the encouragement to go about doing it in an intellectual rather than recreational light.

Hallucinogens usually fall into 3 major categories: Psychedelics, Dissociatives, and Deliriants. And that's the order I'd put them in in terms of descending pleasantness, and ascending extremity.

Psychedelics are your riding a unicorn on a rainbow through a kaleidoscope drugs.. usually they are quite pleasant, and are either distortions of normal experience at low dose, or fabrications which are based upon normal experience (chimeras). This is LSD, psylocibin muhrooms, and DMT. DMT is a lot different, though, and also has some dissociative effects. Dissociatives include Ketamine, Salvia, Mescaline, and DXM. These guys are pretty wild, and introspective, rather than fun.

Deliriants are basically poisons at a low dose. These include Fly agaric mushrooms (these however interact with the brain in a totally unique way which is why they can also be considered dissociatives and psychedelics), and plants of the nightshade family (datura, mandrake, belladonna, plants associated with witchcraft). I don't think I'd ever try these, however I may soon become intrepid enough to try Datura. Basically there's no way to have a good trip. I read a long time ago someone compared it to watching horror movies. You want to go along for the ride, you think its fun to be scared, but while you're doing it it's not pleasant at all. Many people report seeing spiders or bugs, in fact I'm sure the Substance D from A Scanner Darkly is based on nightshade drugs (flowering plants, seeing aphids). Other fun things that have been reported is loss of motor control, mumbling, spontaneous undressing, doing or saying something for no reason, or thinking you did or said something (that can take a few minutes) only to realize you didn't do it at all.

man by now I don't really know what the point or lynchpin of this post was at all.. but I really like talking about drugs... lol
The Blackman is God

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
QUOTE (Patchy @ Nov 5 2010, 01:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where you scared after you could move again?

Sleep paralasys/ shadow people: Nope I wasn't. It was a very sunny afternoon when this happened so that probably contributed to my lack of fear. had it been at night I probably would have been scared as fuck. I was definately awake. My friend also told me years ago before this happened to me that he had experienced this too. Except he told me his shadow thing actually had sort of a human shape and was holding him down by the shoulders.

Salvia: Reading the weed thread many years ago, someone said something like. "Weed is for pussys, its all about that salvia D!"
Long story short I read about it and acquired it. I have done it 3 times. 2 have been unpleasant and I don't do it anymore. It's not something you smoke to have fun with buddys. It's something you smoke for enlightenment or just disconnecting yourself from anything that makes sense at all.

A friend of mine was trying it for the first time, and I told him what it would be like and that he should sit down and just chill. He takes a HUGE hit of it out of a bong on his first time. He starts to giggle and asks me "what the fuck is this shit?"
His smile quickly turned into a frown. He lookedin the mirror and clenched his fists. It looked like he was trying to shake off what was taking over him. He ends up sitting on the ground, crying silently. He was not on earth anymore. His behavior was also pretty funny in other ways but I'm too lazy to write it all out. As he was slowly coming back he said "I never want to do this again in my life, when will this stop?" He has done it again though lol.

He probably felt the feeling that many feel on salvia. That feeling that this is never going to end and you have somehow drifted outside of your mind.. looking at everything from beyond a third person view.

Edited by x_byakugan_x, 05 November 2010 - 10:46 PM.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

premiumseocompany

premiumseocompany
  • Members
  • 13 posts
my horrifying dream was when i dreamed that i am dead and see my self in a coffin.. I've always dreamed this before. sometimes i dreamed i am flying...
maybe it was just my imagination

Edgeworth

Edgeworth
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • xfire:ejwerf
  • Interests:Making music, gaming, sports.
I've always been interesting in dreaming and the conscious side of it - lead me to want to study Psychology although psychoanalysis was only a tiny part of the course.

I've only had 1 experience to anything like a lucid dream though. I was dreaming that I was adding in a pickup game for ut2004 on IRC - I could see the screen but for some reason I thought that people could see me in bed, so I kept covering myself up as much as possible with my duvet and I was opening my eyes and looking around every now and then. Was strange.
[Objection!]

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
QUOTE (Fin @ May 26 2010, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the topic of lucid dreams...

continued.... http://kotaku.com/55...heir-nightmares

I would believe this, sometimes it feels like the most hectic negative shit is coming down on me, but I just play it like a game with my mind as the controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users