Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sleep Paralysis/hypnagogia/lucid Dreaming

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
Lately I've been really getting into the subjects of sleep paralysis, hypnagogic hallucinations, and lucid dreams. I've been kind of pseudo-attempting to induce a lucid dream of my own, but haven't actually given it full effort (I'm always either too tired or too awake, and things like binaural beats don't seem to help at all). I also want to induce sleep paralysis just so I can see if I can conquer the supposed horrific/psychologically scarring hallucinations associated with it, but I'm kind of hesitant.

The entire workings of the brain are just so fascinating. And sleep + associated processes are my latest interests. What really irks me though is people who spit in the face of science and call sleep paralysis "supernatural" or "paranormal" (I saw someone on one particular message board say "The shadow people are not your friends. Nor are they created by your mind. They are real." or something to that effect. Kind of creepy, but ultimately nonsense). It's not rage-worthy, but it's annoying as shit.

Has anyone else had experiences with sleep paralysis/hypnagogia, or lucid dreaming? (I'm looking at you, jav.)

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

Chewyy

Chewyy
  • Members
  • 215 posts
  • xfire:chewy96
  • Interests:Games, Beach, Sports.
  • Steam ID:chewy96
  • Xbox / GFWL:ChewyCrowSlayer
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis have both interested me for a long time too. Once you get started, it's really cool. Your dreams become a lot more vivid.
I've only fully lucid dreamed a few times, but jsut through trying I remember my dreams a lot more. Also sleep paralysis is weird. For me most of the time I just hallucinate - e.g. think my mom came in to wake me up so once I can move I rush out of bed to get in the shower, get out only to find its 12:30 am...All this dream stuff is seriously awesome though. The human brain is a crazy thing.
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Aug 15 2010, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometimes I'm really glad that I happen to be more feminine than masculine.

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
I have lucid dreams/hypnagogia all the time, I get the Tetris effect a LOT as well.

Don't think I've had sleep paralysis very often tho, because usually if I put any focus on something like this I become fully awake/aware.
Hypnic jerks piss me off, happens alot when I become aware of the above situations.

Chewyy

Chewyy
  • Members
  • 215 posts
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ May 26 2010, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have lucid dreams/hypnagogia all the time, I get the Tetris effect a LOT as well.

Don't think I've had sleep paralysis very often tho, because usually if I put any focus on something like this I become fully awake/aware.
Hypnic jerks piss me off, happens alot when I become aware of the above situations.

Yeah, I would even say I SUFFER from the tetris effect a lot aha. If I play a video game for way too long for an extended period of days, I can consider myself screwed.

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
Well, I get it when I worked all day.
And when I was in boot camp, I always had this recurring dream that the Drill Instructors were already waking us up and yelling at us to get on the line and get ready.
I'd then wake up to find it not actually happening (yet).
Had this dream a lot, kept me from getting as much sleep as I'd have liked.

It's also weird, anytime I have to wake up early in the morning, I find myself either waking up ALL thruout the night checking the clock to see if it's time to get up, or waking up just minutes before I actually have to wake up.

Edited by bloodvayne, 26 May 2010 - 01:11 AM.

liquidicevi

liquidicevi
  • Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Games, people, life.
  • PSN:Liquid_Ice_VI
I'm not farmiliar with this whole concept that your talking about ( I do a lil). But I half get it. For me I wouldn't want to get into any form of of lucid dreams os this paralysis thing. I half reckon i've been in sorta those kinda states once or twice before. Or at least had some very vivid dreams. I never really think i'm 100% sane and my mind often tries to explore me in a more deeper way. I can't help but want to know whats in my subconscious.

I suppose like you guys I'm also interested in such imformation about the human brain and ect.

Does having a dream, and thinking it's so real that you become half awake and you want to scream or try and to reach out to w.e you see, fall under this kinda thing? Alot of times if i'm sleeping, and in my dreams I fall, I wake up trying to break my fall but of course can't move to do so. There sorta scary dreams. Because I've had them often, but its never the same dream, just the same ending.

1a_zps7e591386.jpg

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
QUOTE (liquidicevi @ May 26 2010, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not farmiliar with this whole concept that your talking about ( I do a lil). But I half get it. For me I wouldn't want to get into any form of of lucid dreams os this paralysis thing. I half reckon i've been in sorta those kinda states once or twice before. Or at least had some very vivid dreams. I never really think i'm 100% sane and my mind often tries to explore me in a more deeper way. I can't help but want to know whats in my subconscious.

I suppose like you guys I'm also interested in such imformation about the human brain and ect.

Does having a dream, and thinking it's so real that you become half awake and you want to scream or try and to reach out to w.e you see, fall under this kinda thing? Alot of times if i'm sleeping, and in my dreams I fall, I wake up trying to break my fall but of course can't move to do so. There sorta scary dreams. Because I've had them often, but its never the same dream, just the same ending.

Kind of. When you're lucid in a dream, though, you're controlling it--make awesome shit appear and make bad shit go away.

AKA:
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Chewyy @ May 26 2010, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis have both interested me for a long time too. Once you get started, it's really cool. Your dreams become a lot more vivid.
I've only fully lucid dreamed a few times, but jsut through trying I remember my dreams a lot more. Also sleep paralysis is weird. For me most of the time I just hallucinate - e.g. think my mom came in to wake me up so once I can move I rush out of bed to get in the shower, get out only to find its 12:30 am...All this dream stuff is seriously awesome though. The human brain is a crazy thing.

sleep paralysis =/= lucid dreaming and sleep paralysis is not fun. It's freaky shit. You try waking up to find someone walking around in your room walking up to you when you can't move or scream or do anything but watch. It doesn't sound that bad, but the panic that comes from knowing that you are incapable of performing any action with your body is quite extreme. Especially when you are hallucinating things that can cause harm to you.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ May 26 2010, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Especially when you are hallucinating things that can cause harm to you.

Just to clarify, way2 means things that, if they weren't hallucinations, could hurt you. The actual images you see won't do a thing but scare the shit out of you.

I was also wondering if it was possible to kind of force your bad hallucinations away as if in a lucid dream. Or is sleep paralysis not a deep enough sleep?

AKA:

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ May 26 2010, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to clarify, way2 means things that, if they weren't hallucinations, could hurt you. The actual images you see won't do a thing but scare the shit out of you.

I was also wondering if it was possible to kind of force your bad hallucinations away as if in a lucid dream. Or is sleep paralysis not a deep enough sleep?

Yea... you'll be fine unless you hyperventilate or have a heart attack or something like that, but it's freaky stuff.

I dunno if you can control it, but when it happened to me I felt like I woke up, so I stopped being aware that I was dreaming. It actually happened right after a lucid dream, which was really cool. I had figured I just woke up like normal, then weird shit started happening and I tried talking but couldn't make any noise or move and that's when I really started to freak out.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Fin

Fin
  • Members
  • 1,347 posts
On the topic of lucid dreams...

Video Gamers Have Power Over Their Nightmares
A recent study suggests that video game players could have the power to alter their nightmares, turning the tide on the things that go bump in our subconscious minds. We are the Dream Warriors.

Jayne Gackenbach, a psychologist at Grant MacEwan University in Canada, thinks that gamers might have the power to alter their dreams.

Gackenbach's main area of study used to be lucid dreams - dreams where the dreamer watches from outside of their own body. 3rd-person dreams, if you will.

continued.... http://kotaku.com/55...heir-nightmares

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
The second study, conducted to narrow down information from the first, showed that while gamers did have control over their dream worlds, the control was limited to their dream selves, as if controlling a video game character.

While not the same, as I wasn't "in control" per se, I did have a dream last night, after playing Just Cause 2 until my eyes almost bled, where I was basically grappling myself around the world, doing stunt jumps from vehicle to vehicle, etc. It ended with me grappling on to the top a jet inside of a hanger, the jet somehow hovering at a fast speed towards the top of the hanger, and crushing me. Then I woke up. Just thought it was neat and related to the whole "video game dream" thing.

They also tend to flip between first and third-person view.

This is true. Most of my dreams are 3rd-person (which is why I want to lucid dream so badly, because 3rd person dreams are so fucking shitty and not believable at all, rather it's like watching a movie), but I'll get the odd first-person one. It'll even switch back-and-forth in the middle of a dream without warning.

AKA:

confrico

confrico
  • Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (Fin @ May 26 2010, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the topic of lucid dreams...

continued.... http://kotaku.com/55...heir-nightmares

explains why as a kid every time i came close to a nightmare, i beat/shot the fuck out of the bad guys. in fact i don't remember ever having a nightmare in my life. everything would just die at my skilled hands.

ArmoredSandwich

ArmoredSandwich
  • Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • xfire:unseendevil
Lucid dreams are awesome! Last year when I had enough time to get enough sleep I eventually was able to get a couple of em each week.

About the "people who spit in the face of science", they are indeed terriblel. When I was active on Dreamviews (when I was practicing this) I was extremely annoyed by people infecting every thread with their "shared dreaming" experiences. It's horrible! I actually left because of those hippies icon_confused.gif

Also, sleep paralysis isn't extremely uncomfortable, it is pretty close to lucid dreaming actually, so you just shouldn't panic and take actions to enter the dreamworld!

There must be some kind of way out of here...

liquidicevi

liquidicevi
  • Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Games, people, life.
  • PSN:Liquid_Ice_VI
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ May 26 2010, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kind of. When you're lucid in a dream, though, you're controlling it--make awesome shit appear and make bad shit go away.

Hmm, well I have had dreams where I WANT to control what I'm doing. It's like I'm watching my self in 3rd person and going WTF are you doing!? Why are you doing that!? Thats the most moronic thing someone can do! And I try to change what I'm doing but I can't.
It's fun icon_razz.gif

1a_zps7e591386.jpg

Chewyy

Chewyy
  • Members
  • 215 posts
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ May 26 2010, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's also weird, anytime I have to wake up early in the morning, I find myself either waking up ALL thruout the night checking the clock to see if it's time to get up, or waking up just minutes before I actually have to wake up.

Exactly the same thing with me man.

SkyggeN

SkyggeN
  • Members
  • 405 posts
  • xfire:skyggendk
I have lucid dreams sometimes. I've never actually induced a Wake-initiated-lucid-dream (WILD) but I sometimes make a transition from a normal dream to a lucid dream. Dream-initiated-lucid-dream (DILD). I've never tried to induce one on purpose but I do quite often experience the DILDs.

It's really funny when it finally happens and mostly I use the experience to fly (not really fly but more like zero G floating) and to jump really high. I remember I had been playing a lot of Prototype at one point and I had a dream where I was in my home city and I realized I was dreaming. At that point (if you don't wake up from the realization) you can pretty much do anything, so I started jumping from building to building without getting hurt (kind of like Prototype).

This thread made me think about actually mastering this, but It'd be pretty hard I could imagine. Any veterans got some tips or advices? ArmoredSandwich?

IMO Lucid Dreaming is like a really cool VR-experience that doesn't really feel virtual at all, but of course you're aware of it being a dream (or else you wouldn't be able to control it).

BTW: I think that new movie Inception that's coming out deals with this kind of stuff - It just builds more on top of the concept you know, making it a military application and what not.

Edited by SkyggeN, 26 May 2010 - 11:59 AM.

The_Zooloo_Master

The_Zooloo_Master
  • Members
  • 912 posts
  • xfire:thezooloomaster
  • Interests:Entertainment,____, watching pure pwnage, pwning noobs, philosophy.
People who are interested should watch Waking Life by Richard Linklater, and should read Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming, co-authored by Stephen Laberge, the end all expert on the subject.

I never committed enough to get lucid dreams, and the reality checks that eventually made their way into my dreams always failed (finger through palm, lights on and off, etc.).
"If I continue with this shit I'm going to end up in jail, in a hospital, or dead. Or all 3." -- Joby

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
QUOTE (The_Zooloo_Master @ May 27 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People who are interested should watch Waking Life by Richard Linklater, and should read Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming, co-authored by Stephen Laberge, the end all expert on the subject.

I never committed enough to get lucid dreams, and the reality checks that eventually made their way into my dreams always failed (finger through palm, lights on and off, etc.).

Interesting, I'll have to read through that some time.

AKA:

Dark Ainur

Dark Ainur
  • GA Private
  • 435 posts
  • xfire:DarkAinur
  • Gamer Army ID:2092
  • Company:Gamma
I've had nightmares where I wake up and can't scream or move much. I've also been aware that I was dreaming but haven't been able to alter the dream. The first one is not fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users