Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fighter Rpg

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • PSN:The_Con-Sept
I have been trying to create an RPG of sorts. The main game-play of it would mimic that of a fighter.

The basics:

In essence the main mode of this game would be centered around fighting. Adding in the RPG element to it I think would really cause people to explore different fighting styles. Everyone likes to reminisce about moves that should be there but just aren't. When I was a kid I used to play Mortal Kombat and King of Fighters. As well as battle arena Toshindo. Street fighter I did not discover until after I gave Capcom Vs SNK a try. Street fighter was fun but the element of HADUUKen really brought it down for me. Even Mortal Kombat had their own haduken moves for each character. I didn't like it too much.

So I started liking Tekken because they didn't have any of that except for King and his fire breath or Lei Wulong's gun (If you know the combo for it.) Just out right brutal hand to hand combat was fun. After a while I started thinking of different moves to add into the combat instead of seeing a mimic of the martial art styles of today in line form. But enough about that how does it play?

---------- Combat ----------

(Please bare with me because I am a bit paranoid with talking in a public forum about this.)

Martial art combat does not have limits as to what you can do for a "combo." So what I decided is that depending on what your input command is it would take you into different combo strings. A kick couldtake you into another kick or into a punch combo. A low blow could transition into an upward strike to knock them into the air.

Essentially I wanted to make a complex combo string for each and every different combo.

"But wouldn't that mean people could just button mash their way through a fight?"

No. Certain combos would have an end to them and finding a loop for a combo would be pretty tough. So you would have to practice a lot before you put together a combo. Sort of a "guess and check" way of fighting. Find out what works, and get the timing down.

"It sounds nice but wouldn't people just find the loop and keep repeating?"

If the opponent cannot defend or counter strike the other player then essentially yeah they could. But it would depend on how much stamina they have.

"I'm confused..."

I have not met anyone who has enough stamina to keep hitting hard while being able to connect their hits properly if they keep doing a combo; so stamina would be a part of the game. I know some people might find this to be a bit of a gimp for a fighter but it makes sense. That is where the RPG element comes in. If you have played a Dragon Ball Z fighter game you obviously can not keep doing Kameo waves at someone the entire fight right? Same with Blaz Blue, you have a limit at how many projectiles you can throw, but not the amount of punches you can throw.

As your stamina depletes so does the amount of damage you deal and how long you can keep going in a combo.

"But in fighters you just keep punching and kicking until their health is gone."

True, as this is a fun way to fight I just wonder how much brain damage the character has after doing so. (So it is a realistic fighter game pretty much.)
I have been in many fights myself and to me I learned that going all out from the start can lead to some big regrets later on if they do the same. Sometimes its better to just "pace yourself."

With combo strings that can become endless they become rather hard to do if there is a limit in a different sense.

"Ok so its a realistic fighter game with an RPG element in it. What would be the other things that contribute to the RPG element?"

That is a whole other section.-

---------- The RPG Element mix in ----------

The RPG element comes in based on everything you do in the game. From simple things such as jumping, running, climbing, and reaction timing all accounts to the RPG element. However gaining "stats" depends on your participation. (Basically training.) Instead of beating a boss and getting stat points to "pick and choose" it would be a static form of building up your character.

"Why not?"

You really can't beat up a bunch of people and add to the "intelligence" stat for example. I find that to be a form of cheating. Sure you want to build up your character but fighting a bull and fighting a mountain lion are two completely different things.

"Wait... why would you fight mountain lions and bulls?"

That is something that will be explained later on. (For now just think about how Kung Fu is performed.)

Depending on what you do in battle to overcome your enemies would increase stats in certain areas. If you do a lot of dodging and blocking it would be obvious that your defense and stamina would increase, but not intelligence or strength. Doing a lot of counters would increase your intelligence and strength, but not your defense or stamina. Doing combos would increase Stamina and intelligence, but not strength or defense.

There are other aliments but they will be explained with each character.

---------- Style of combat ----------

There are three MAIN characters, but there are many different foes to be fought. At first I thought they would just be three people from the same group... But not everyone fights the same way and I wanted to add some diversity into the mix, so for some reason I thought about guns. There are 3 main types of guns no matter how you see them. The only difference is RANGE. So you have Sniper Rifles, Automatics, and Shot guns. Rocket Propelled Grenades and Proximity mines are not included in this game per say.

"Wait... Sniper rifle? How does that work in a fighter game? Haduken much?"

Well yes and no. I do know that it is a bit of a contradiction with what I said earlier but there is one character who knows magic. Her fighting style does use magic but she does not have any strength. So she uses magic to help make her hit harder. To explain her in the simplest way... Think of a flame thrower instead of a sniper rifle, or a sniper rifle that, when the bullet hits, flames come out of the round and set you on fire....

(I'd say what really got me mad was just 6 months after I started putting this together 2 fighter games came out that equally took both of my ideas for a fighter game and put it out there already. One is Dungeon Fighter online and the other is BlazBlue.)

With this character her magic is only done in certain points of her combo strings, but she can throw her magic at you. To be fair: depending on how far away you are from the target her attack weakens.

The shotgun character... What do you think of as a shotgun in fighting? It has its own league that is televised and some people call this style of fighting "a mans drama opera" with how much goes on behind the scenes.

(Wrestling.)

"So what would be the automatic?"

Well an automatic weapon is a well rounded weapon. it does good at any range so I thought about a combat style that does well in all three areas and could only come up with a mix between Eddy Gordo from Tekken and Kendo.

"So he can throw Kendo sticks at people?"

I had given that a thought.... A big thought... But I will have to see it first. icon_razz.gif

---------- The summary of the story's purpose ----------

The story is my main focus. I have played Urban Reign and God Hand but I don't like how it is centered all around fighting. Sure the story made sense but if you think about it... Its too obvious. It kind of ruins fighter games because some of these stories just don't make sense. Some of these realistic fighters do have some strange stories for their characters. For one I am tired of Cliches and a bunch of teenagers with bed heads running around with swords for the RPG genre.

"So..."

Yeah sorry the characters will actually look like characters instead of random anime crazies.

I will try my best not to give out spoilers but it is inevitable.

3 characters come from three completely different areas. The first character is a victim of war in the most harsh way. The girl is someone who is an out cast from her own "people." The third is from a poor area but he doesn't know his own family.

The reason for them fighting is to find out exactly why they can't exist. I will leave it at that for the main explanation.

The first character watches his own being killed. he isn't seen but he witnesses all. He has a hatred for a certain few but they really aren't the main target. It just shows how gruesome and relentless some people are. The second character is completely alienated from everyone. The third character just doesn't know what is really going on, however the one person who prepared him knew all of the secrets. The other one was captured. So obviously you'd want to know who you are right?

Then the story truly begins. It all starts somewhere. Depending on what you do and where you go changes everything. It isn't as simple as "Go here to find out where to go next." It is more of a game where you create your own leads and pursue them.

For example: The girl can either exact revenge on her own kind and wipe everything out or fend for herself and make herself better than them.

The war victim could either exact revenge on the ones who wronged him and his kind, or he could find out what is really going on.

The third lost one could either not care and live life, or he could pursue his history.

Either way you play the game they still have a different way of living and going through this game.

The way I thought about telling the story is to not just have 1 path. Instead from the very beginning you have more than 1 choice. Each road will have their own way of going from point A to point Z.

"So basically there is one ending?"

No. There are several endings. Not every road takes you to the X, but in the vicinity of the X. All but one route takes you to the exact spot where the X is marked on the map. And trust me this game will have you playing it just to understand where exactly that X is. (Basically the true ending of the game.)

I must stop here though with the story.

---------- Other modes ----------

Fighting is not the only mode of the game. I wanted the story to really bring out different styles of game play in one game without feeling like it is a quick little add on to change it up. But at any time you can go between these modes.

"So not like GTA IV right?"

Exactly. Instead of it just being thrown in there once and thats it I wanted to make these modes essential to the game's story line.

One mode that might require some thinking, since everything adds to your stats, would be the running mode. Stamina automatically comes to mind as well as strength. But how would the running mode work? I remember playing a football game in the past where you had to keep hitting two buttons just to make your character run faster. Anyone remember the name of it? I can't right now... So this might make or break this game which lead me to believe that creating different ways to play a game would be a better route but I will get back to that. This would be a core element to add to stamina if you yourself can keep up with a pace. Would there be platforming? OF COURSE. But what kind of platforming comes to mind when you think of a running game? I know what you are going to say and NO. Its not the blue icon for Sega. HE CHEATS!

Another mode that I explained in a previous post would be stealing... I liked when GTA SA introduced robbing houses... but imagine robbing in the old days. Like WAY back then. Just think Solid Snake and Tomb Raider. Wait... bad mix never mind. (Some people can play Metal gear Solid and never use some of the cool tricks to get by people.)

The last mode is really for the girl and is required for her... sometimes. Well depending on how you like to fight.

----------

Alright well thats is pretty much all I can explain for the game right now. I would like to talk about the story but I would rather slowly tell you about it instead of just copying and pasting what I have got so far.

Dark.Matter

Dark.Matter
  • Members
  • 1,662 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
too much time on your hands, sir.
QUOTE (Dark.Matter @ Apr 23 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread delivers.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Heh. Like I said if I copy and pasted the entire story in here.... Everything basically... You would want to take a day off from work just to read it so I am going to try something here. Hopefully it compels me to keep writing this story.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Looks like someone is interested in the game I am creating. Going to talk with a company sometime in the next month to pitch this to them and find out what they think of it. But I haven't touched the story for quite some time now. Looks like I may be able to create this game after all...

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
The doc here is far too vague for any serious developer to take it seriously, also looks like a huge uptaking, hope you have a 6 figure budget to fund it as no one will do it for free

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (eedok @ Jan 13 2011, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The doc here is far too vague for any serious developer to take it seriously, also looks like a huge uptaking, hope you have a 6 figure budget to fund it as no one will do it for free

They didn't base it off of this interview like thing. I am just pitching a story to them because they are looking for a writer. Nothing wrong with that right? However they are looking for a space game so I might be writing a completely new story.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Talked with the head and apparently he likes the idea behind the story but he wants to implement it into a space game.... I think I am going to write something completely different for it.

Currently we are exploring several different SDK's coming from all corners of the world to see which one best suits our vision. This is serious business now.

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • Steam ID:Maximus_Metallicus
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Jan 21 2011, 03:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Talked with the head and apparently he likes the idea behind the story but he wants to implement it into a space game.... I think I am going to write something completely different for it.

Currently we are exploring several different SDK's coming from all corners of the world to see which one best suits our vision. This is serious business now.

If your going to have shooting and fighting, I recommend source.
QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to clarify that I am indeed trolling in this particular thread.

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 8 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (ThrashTitan @ Jan 20 2011, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your going to have shooting and fighting, I recommend source.

Apparently its not just going to be an FPS. I can't give out details on what this current game is going to be like... But I can damn well guarantee it will have an RPG element to it.

We have taken a look at some indie development tools around the web and we've also thought about creating an engine from scratch. Currently we are looking for something in Python-Ogre. Or Py-Game. Sure this may be a free open license library but it is a good start. We've already got a lot of literature ahead of us for these mixed and matched people but we are at least getting somewhere.

Don't expect this game to "OOH" and "AWE" you with eye candy just yet. We don't know our own capabilities yet.

Also I can't give out the company name. A lot of NDA's to go through here.... But I can at least talk to you here.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Testing Servers tomorrow.

We've decided on one so we will begin testing some things tomorrow and begin to build up the servers.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Tested the servers. Ran into a very funny glitch. And with anything that you make from scratch of course this is going to happen. Basically the server is the "master" per say in this world. If you lag it won't ever register your movement. Plus it tends to do the whole jerk back and fourth thing. You can also jump infinitely high. Character movement needs work but it is simple stuff. The graphics in the sky are actually quite nice as I haven't seen a sky that actually looks like a sky. But looking at the mesh's and backdrops it turns out that instead of a completely rendered world it uses a sky box where the images actually change over time. So they look super realistic but they are just on a 2D plain. That is all I can say for now.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
Hows about a screenshot?!

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Jan 31 2011, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hows about a screenshot?!

**************Image removed due to NDA violation.

Yeah sorry I can't post anything up yet. Right now we are just building on the engine mainly. A lot of weird bugs though. There was this really funny one where we were trying to import a character mesh and well... it ended up on the floor... So everyone freaked out for a few moments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users