Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Episode 5 - Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Doug

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Tr1ppt

Tr1ppt
  • Members
  • 174 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
didnt like this one too much. the funniest parts were the small lines - 'wolf dropped a bearskin' etc was hilarious, but the overall plot was dull. this is the biggest problem for me.

with the shortness of the episodes, you never get chance to get to know jeremy in the same way you did with the webseries. everyone grew fond of him, and he was likeable. in the tv series, everything happens so fast, its hard to know why new watchers would really like his character.

why does october like him so much? because he 'totally owns'? because he helped them with that one raid? the internet series had a growing, believeable relationship between jeremy and tagi, and it was interesting. october is just dove eyed over jeremy for no fucking reason at all and its just annoying.

i know this is a partial reboot, but is it really necassary to regurgitate all the best parts of the web series in about 30 seconds? it all feels horribly forced and crappy in comparison. the hospital bed scene isn't as funny as the original one. jeremy falls over the same way as he did in the web series. ehhhh. i just fail to see the target audience. it doesnt seem funny to me because i saw a better version of everything in the web series, and i dont know if non-gamers would find any of this funny.

why talk about running faster with the knife? they've not played any CS so this makes NO FUCKING SENSE! it was funny as a cameo, but to make such a big deal about it when casuals probably wouldnt understand is just strange.

fingers crossed for a better next episode. i partially feel like 'if you can't say anything positive, dont say anything at all', because i want this show to do well for the crew, i feel they deserve it. but ehh, thats my 2 cents.

squeak9121

squeak9121
  • GA Private
  • 43 posts
  • xfire:Squeak9121
  • Steam ID:Squeak9121
  • Xbox / GFWL:Elevenbps11
  • Gamer Army ID:3689
I loved the intro, so did everyone else BUT THE NETWORK, loled. Doug driving the mower also hilarious.
like everyone else said it wasn't as good as the web series, but that's contracting for ya.
I'M A NINJA

PeterNL

PeterNL
  • Members
  • 29 posts
Am I the only one that thinks the whole Doug mugging thing was ridiculous? Like in the previous episodes, Jeremy and Doug aren't weird gamer guys that aren't really social, they're like retarded in the TV series. It's not realistic. Does this bother anyone else?

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
QUOTE (PeterNL @ Apr 10 2010, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only one that thinks the whole Doug mugging thing was ridiculous? Like in the previous episodes, Jeremy and Doug aren't weird gamer guys that aren't really social, they're like retarded in the TV series. It's not realistic. Does this bother anyone else?

lol @ purepwnage and realism

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

Thunderballer

Thunderballer
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • xfire:lolo2000bm
  • Xbox / GFWL:ThunderballerRE
I think the episode gets a win when Jermey did the Shawshank Redemption reference

"I know what you think you know what it means... just cause you have a fancy suit" etc etc etc

And the law and order references, etc etc etc

Too bad the episode falls into TV show limitations, too short to the point where it didnt develop the episode correctly.

PeterNL

PeterNL
  • Members
  • 29 posts
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Apr 11 2010, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol @ purepwnage and realism

Don't be an ass dude you know what I mean.
They've always had the gaming world and the real world with the awkwardness and everything.
But now it's going way too far with Doug not realizing he mugged someone and sitting in court like a retard not understanding whats going on.. It's just dumb I think.

krazykaveman

krazykaveman
  • GA Private
  • 374 posts
  • xfire:Krazykaveman
  • Interests:Programming, Overclocking, College, Personal Fitness.
  • Steam ID:Krazykaveman
  • Xbox / GFWL:Krazykaveman
  • PSN:Krazykaveman
  • Gamer Army ID:4602
I thought it was pretty funny. Maybe its just cuz they have such a short time slot but it seemed like the whole MMO's AND video games are bad topics were a bit much for one episode and they didnt really put enough into either one. I remember when Jeremy went into the hospital before and tagi trying to help him back and then seeing doug walk by as a CT from CSS and I was like "YAAY". Now its like I have no real attachments to the characters, I mean its pretty funny still but part of purepwnage I remember was loving the story and the characters and looking up to Jeremy as a super pro gamer. Now the show is just "haha gamers are weird".
Blargh

anthonyoncoffee

anthonyoncoffee
  • Members
  • 192 posts
i liked this episode because it was sorta slow paced compared to the previous ones and it felt more like a pp episode

i still feel they got a lot to work on

end was pretty funny tho

6.5 out of 10

chicohuman2

chicohuman2
  • Members
  • 13 posts
youtube.com/chicohuman for episodes in hd

Bl!ndf!re

Bl!ndf!re
  • Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • xfire:tehlickerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (chicohuman2 @ Apr 10 2010, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
chicohuman

^_^ thanks i used that earlier

i love that episode, another triumph

QUOTE (Husky @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A couple of Mutas softened up to the red, a couple of other Mutas softened up to the black, cause they're dead.

QUOTE (slartibartfast of earth @ Sep 28 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ps my disablity in my hands makes my typing crap sry

QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd hit it tbh. Especially if it's dead.

bang911

bang911
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:bang911
QUOTE (anthonyoncoffee @ Apr 11 2010, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i liked this episode because it was sorta slow paced compared to the previous ones and it felt more like a pp episode

i still feel they got a lot to work on

end was pretty funny tho

6.5 out of 10

Slow paced??? Hardly, there was a lotttt that happened during this short episode.

-What was the point of the black screen saying: "Scene 45, November 12th"

-Everyone was wearing the exact same thing, so I don't see how it was supposed to actually appear that this "case" was taking more then one day.

Edited by bang911, 10 April 2010 - 11:44 PM.

alpha2018

alpha2018
  • Members
  • 7 posts
I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the last, but it still had some glaring shortcomings as others have pointed out....the MMO subplot was played out waaay too quickly, there was a lot of potential for that to be developed it into something greater. Also, although Doug is hilarious, it is saddening to see that he no longer has any intellectual capacity. In the web series his sanity and hilarity were perfectly balanced. Now he's far more mentally challenged. The show is decidedly laughing at gamers, rather than with them. On the whole, though, the episode was very entertaining. "Back, and to the left" and "wolf dropped a bear skin" were awesome lines.

anthonyoncoffee

anthonyoncoffee
  • Members
  • 192 posts
QUOTE (bang911 @ Apr 11 2010, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Slow paced??? Hardly, there was a lotttt that happened during this short episode.

didnt feel rushed, like jeremy playing games on the pc... very slow feel to it

tkrow21

tkrow21
  • Members
  • 287 posts
QUOTE (PeterNL @ Apr 10 2010, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, when Doug ran back to the ice cream cart and the guy ran away, I really expected the view to skip to a shot of Doug walking on the street eating ice cream, and not in prison.

mikelo

mikelo
  • Members
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Smokin
After rewatching the episodes of the TV series, I do not think they are being aired in the same chronological order they are filmed.

The chemistry between Jeremy & October bounces all over the place in the last 3 episodes, as someone else mentioned.

Octobers eye brows seem to change every episode, but maybe that is just my imagination but they seemed bushier than in the episode where she paintballs her guild leader off his bike (highlight of the TV series so far for me.) It might be a weird thing to notice, but most times when I watch shows I am looking at things that are not directly in focus, just to spot errors or continuity issues.
"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." - Mitch Hedberg

Jurasitol

Jurasitol
  • Members
  • 1 posts
"Back and to the left, back and to the left"

Bill Hicks reference?

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_
QUOTE (b0niK @ Apr 11 2010, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another failed episode, still no masterer, no character development, another rehash of previous webshows, but WORSE.... AGAIN.

What. Not sure if trolling...
The episode was ok I guess.

Rotaermel

Rotaermel
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Pwn n00bs @ CSS n stuff... givin h3adsh0ts n stuff, u know..<br />----(X.x)---><br />B0o0o0oM H3adsh0t!
I feel like there is no chronological link between the episodes. In the Webshow, the speed of storytelling was much slower and you could cleraly notice, than one episode built on another.
But now, after 5 episodes, I have got the impression like the TV show was like "Randomly taken scenes out of the life of pro gamers". This was ok for the first two episodes, in order to introduce the characters, but it really seems like the will stick to this concept the whole series.
Another point is gaming itself. In the webseries, there was a clear development of Jeremy's gaming habits: he only played RTS >> he learned, that one must one at all games >> he startet to play FPS >> he got addicted to MMOs and stopped playing them (a process which took three episodes and not 10 minutes like now!!) >> he played more and more on various systems.
What do we have in the TV series? At first, he adores Starcraft. Then he is for no logic (!) reason a pro in WOW. Obviously, just because he is "pro at everything". This looks funny, but it is not LOGIC. In the webseries, he actually had to lern the game, which was presented very clearly. Remember the scene in Dave's house where he changed his mind from mocking the game to slowly falling into addiction? This was great? Well, back to the TV series. In the next episode, all the characters played rockband - again with no real reason. And afterwards, it's again completely over - and Jeremy has become over night a MMO addict. There is no reasonable development anymore!
Another thing is doug, or, more precisely, the presentation of his gaming habits. Of course, it's clear that he likes FPS - but we haven't actually seen some FPS scenes ON HIS SCREEN. I think, it's a very important element of PP, that the audience can see the characters ACTUALLY PLAY GAMES ON THEIR MONITOR. Not only, that they SIT in front of a monitor and shot "boom headshot". Why got the Doug scene out of "M8S" so famous? Because on first sight, you couldn't even tell, that it is fake!! Doug played so realistic and his gaming was realistic - you could see, how he kills people in CSS and - finally - gets killed himself. And that's exactly that what I miss about the TV show. This authentic flair.
.._...____________________, ,
.../ `---___________----_____|] >>BOOM>>HEADSHOT!
.../_==o;;;;;;;;_______.:/
...), ---.(_(__) /
...// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
.//___//

wiZZ

wiZZ
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • xfire:pinkeye420
I really liked this episode but i like the original series more. I been addicted for 2 years.

Edited by wiZZ, 11 April 2010 - 06:28 AM.

Atems

Atems
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • xfire:atemsrlz
good episode little rushed and i don't like how they make doug act like a totaly retarded
i expect the next episode to be better with lanagedon coming and stuff
maybe we can see some playng games there
http://files.enjin.com/27238/PPgifs/Ep3/Omnomnom-spowis.gif"]http://files.enjin.com/27238/PPgifs/Ep3/Omnomnom-spowis.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users