Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Discussion: Drug Use In E-sports.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

GhostSquall

GhostSquall
  • Members
  • 24 posts
So, I don't know how aware all of you are but when you ingest a certain substance called amphetamine..you become extremely alert. I've only tried it once and it made me 250% better at any game I played that day. In fact my friend and I had the most intense CoD4 match ever when we were on them. It was on countdown and the game was completely tied and the last kill literally came down to the very last bullet in my sniper, no scoped him right in the face 2 feet away when he was about to knife me. Literally most intense match of my life...ever.

But the point of this topic...what's stopping people from popping something like this before a tournament? It's not like there's any sort of drug tests like professional sports. It just intrigues me because this would basically be the steroid of gaming. Would you support their use? Would you pop a pill to win a tournament? I know I never will...even though it's just bringing out the skills I already potentially have...I still feel as if it's cheating.

Your thoughts?

Edited by GhostSquall, 04 April 2010 - 05:21 PM.

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:SurprisedPlanet
:/
QUOTE (Tree_ @ May 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jamie, just go smoke some crack; you'll feel better.

GhostSquall

GhostSquall
  • Members
  • 24 posts
Great input. thanks.gif

BLaZinG FurY

BLaZinG FurY
  • GA Private
  • 348 posts
  • xfire:BBBLaZinGFurYYY
  • Interests:My friends.<br />My games.<br />My music.<br />My band.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />...and Laser tag...that's always important :]
  • Steam ID:MLG_BLaZinG_FurY
  • Xbox / GFWL:BBBLaZinGFurYYY
  • Gamer Army ID:3815
I don't know if I would use them but I think that it just brings out what potential you already have.
But for the sake of fare play, I would prohibit the use of those pills before a match(for tournament play) if it was up to me.
QUOTE (OctoberPPTV @ Mar 13 2010, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And erm, Blazing Fury. I think I love you.

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
  • xfire:cky852k
  • Steam ID:cky852k
  • Xbox / GFWL:jojo852k
  • PSN:jojo852k
  • Gamer Army ID:153
  • Company:Gamma
im pretty sure that either in Frag or eAthletes theres a reference to some pros using uppers of some kind

Dirge

Dirge

Best Returning Member '09

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
  • Steam ID:Silent_Dirge
  • Gamer Army ID:3524
  • Company:Alpha
Amphetamine isnt a steroid. There is no testosterone base. It can be used as an anabolic steroid replacement, but it isnt a Steroid. L2 Biology.

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
Sorry but I just couldn't take this seriously.

GhostSquall

GhostSquall
  • Members
  • 24 posts
I know they're not literally steroids per say. I was using it more as a comparison because steroids are performance enhancing drugs more focused on like..the physical aspects. Amphetamines could be considered the "steroids of gaming" because it enhances your mental capabilities.

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
QUOTE (Dirge @ Apr 4 2010, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amphetamine isnt a steroid. There is no testosterone base. It can be used as an anabolic steroid replacement, but it isnt a Steroid. L2 Biology.

although the title is wrong.. OP said "steroid of gaming"

i don't think he means amphetamine are steroids.. just the equivalent

QUOTE (Jamie @ Apr 4 2010, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry but I just couldn't take this seriously.

why. im sure there are gamers out there doing it.

Edited by j-tak, 04 April 2010 - 04:56 PM.

GhostSquall

GhostSquall
  • Members
  • 24 posts
Edited name of thread. icon_biggrin.gif

And it might not be taken seriously by someone that really doesn't have too much exposure to any sort of drug culture. It's understandable, just don't discredit my views because you have a different perspective.

BLaZinG FurY

BLaZinG FurY
  • GA Private
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:My friends.<br />My games.<br />My music.<br />My band.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />...and Laser tag...that's always important :]
QUOTE (GhostSquall @ Apr 4 2010, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Edited name of thread. icon_biggrin.gif

And it might not be taken seriously by someone that really doesn't have too much exposure to any sort of drug culture. It's understandable, just don't discredit my views because you have a different perspective.

True. True.

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
just googled "drugs in pro gaming"..

yeh. it does happen.

Dirge

Dirge

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
QUOTE (j-tak @ Apr 4 2010, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
although the title is wrong.. OP said "steroid of gaming"

Steroids are always portrayed in such a negative manner. Its Anabolic Steroids that are bad. Fucking testosterone is a steroid. So is Cortisone cream. I dont know, I get really riled up over such small phallicies icon_razz.gif

Also thank you GhostSquall for changing the thread title icon_razz.gif

EDIT:

Ignore that, you didnt change it much icon_sad.gif

Edited by Dirge, 04 April 2010 - 05:04 PM.

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
QUOTE (j-tak @ Apr 4 2010, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why. im sure there are gamers out there doing it.

The fact that he contradicted himself by saying he wouldn't take them, but he has done before.

The fact that hes making assumptions that this 'steriod' only benefits your performance. Sorry there is no such medicine in my opinion that will only benefit you, there are effects to every medicine. For example in real steroids you get aggressive, this 'gaming steriod,' might be able to make your reactions better and decisions faster, but what good is that if your head isn't clear and your making shit decisions?

The fact that in sports the money that is Bet on the games, just bet (gambled), is probably a hundred times more than any prize money that you still find in a gaming competition.

The fact that there is little ways to control people from taking these 'uppers.' If you want something like this stopped you'd need gamers to take the equivalent of a drugs test.

Then where do you limt what they can take? Are energy drinks banned? Etc, etc, etc.

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
QUOTE (Jamie @ Apr 4 2010, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fact that he contradicted himself by saying he wouldn't take them, but he has done before.

The fact that hes making assumptions that this 'steriod' only benefits your performance. Sorry there is no such medicine in my opinion that will only benefit you, there are effects to every medicine. For example in real steroids you get aggressive, this 'gaming steriod,' might be able to make your reactions better and decisions faster, but what good is that if your head isn't clear and your making shit decisions?

The fact that in sports the money that is Bet on the games, just bet (gambled), is probably a hundred times more than any prize money that you still find in a gaming competition.

The fact that there is little ways to control people from taking these 'uppers.' If you want something like this stopped you'd need gamers to take the equivalent of a drugs test.

Then where do you limt what they can take? Are energy drinks banned? Etc, etc, etc.

k, i made the assumption you didn't believe it happened. my bad.

GhostSquall

GhostSquall
  • Members
  • 24 posts
QUOTE (Jamie @ Apr 4 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason I took the pills originally wasn't to enhance my gaming performance. I took them because they're uppers and I wanted to feel good. Was going through a drug phase, but I'm out of that now and view a lot of drugs as disgusting, including these. Noticing how good I was at CoD4 was just a side effect. I wasn't making shit decisions, I wasn't doing anything wrong I believe. It genuinely made me feel on the level of a pro, as well as my friend. We might have just been high but I highly doubt that.

If we want to stop this, make all drugs that are scheduled on the DEA's list illegal to use in tournaments. Things such as caffeine/energy drinks would still be allowed 100%.

And what do you suggest I rename the thread title to make it more accurate?

Dirge

Dirge

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
QUOTE (Jamie @ Apr 4 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For example in real steroids you get aggressive,

Hate

Yes there are "performance enhancing" drugs in professional gaming circuits. There are no laws or rules regulating saying that they can't so its all fair game. As Jamie said no drug is without a side effect (even Placebo's have side effects....or do they? icon_razz.gif )

BLaZinG FurY

BLaZinG FurY
  • GA Private
  • 348 posts
QUOTE (Jamie @ Apr 4 2010, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I think he meant that he wouldn't take those pills for 'Competitive' or 'Tournament' play.
And I think caffeine would be an exception..
Even though it technically is a "drug"...

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
QUOTE (j-tak @ Apr 4 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
k, i made the assumption you didn't believe it happened. my bad.

Crazy pointless shit happens all the time lol.

QUOTE (GhostSquall @ Apr 4 2010, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason I took the pills originally wasn't to enhance my gaming performance. I took them because they're uppers and I wanted to feel good. Was going through a drug phase, but I'm out of that now and view a lot of drugs as disgusting, including these. Noticing how good I was at CoD4 was just a side effect. I wasn't making shit decisions, I wasn't doing anything wrong I believe. It genuinely made me feel on the level of a pro, as well as my friend. We might have just been high but I highly doubt that.

If we want to stop this, make all drugs that are scheduled on the DEA's list illegal to use in tournaments. Things such as caffeine/energy drinks would still be allowed 100%.

And what do you suggest I rename the thread title to make it more accurate?

You didn't understand what I ment by bad decisions.

You can't stop this, it would be insanely stupid.

Rename it to something more clear like: "Discussion; drug taking in gaming competitions."

QUOTE (BLaZinG FurY @ Apr 4 2010, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even though it technically is a "drug"...

See the grey area with this, and why I can't take it seriously.

Calling him a fag was pointless I know, but I'm tried.

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
actually im fairly sure i made a thread about this like 3 years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users