Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Darkfall Trial / 1 Yr Anniversary Deal Also

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Dhal

Dhal
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Steam ID:0:0:2359606
i get it, there's a lot of people who just won't play DF and that's fine. this post is for those who wanted a trial first, or who were unhappy with the game in its beginning stages. it's been over a year now and the game is dramatically different than release. the graphics are imo better than most MMOs on the market, the grind is less painless (but still existent of course), and diversity is in.

recent darkfall vid (boats/underground city siege/fkn around)

the trial and anniversary deal (game and 3 months included package for only $10 more than retail cost)

General info for people who were on the fence in the past
they've put a lot more *fun* in their game to measure up to the amount of *work* it takes to develope your char. this is still a game where nothing is given to you, there is no hand holding or ezmode. this works both ways. if you enjoy selectable target systems where you can click on them or press a button to tell the game that's what you want to attack, and spamming a button or two to wait for your loots to explode out, or bid upon - this is still not the game for you. if those things are aggrovating or not challenging enough for you, you might grab the trial and give it a shot.

What makes darkfall different than previous First Person based MMOs?
i have played just about every competitive game out there (a good chunk of them for a couple years at least), and what i consider to be some of the better MMOs (not that there's been many). since planetside, i always liked the idea of having to target yourself rather than having a selectable target. on that note, i have always liked FPS games quite a bit too so i can understand if aiming/timing/anticipation is not someones bag (again, this post is not for you). anyone who's played PS (at least in its first handfull of months) knows that it just didn't work. the amount of hitboxes, physics, and logic that was being processed was just too much for the client to handle in those days. there's been a few in between but all of them ran into the same problems when you reach unpredictable numbers vs. unpredictable numbers (300 people on the screen emitting different particles and algorythms for shots/where shots land/latency/hitboxes/models/facial features/color schemes/etc). this is where instancing came in to solve a lot of these problems, even for MMOs that aren't FPS based. *note* in DF there is no loading screens between "zones", it's all sandbox, the only time you see a loading screen is when recalling, teleporting on a runestone, or entering a dungeon which is not it's own instance - you load into a shared dungeon with anyone else who is already there, or might get there later.

Will this game run on my computer?
with that said, i won't lie - the game won't be a good experience if you have an emachine, laptop of any kind (some of the higher end laptops will play the game but not every aspect like guild vs guild or alliance vs alliance), or any other machine produced by a manufacturer of any sort unless you're paying upwards of $3k+. here, i'll give you my specs before upgrading, and after with pricetags included to give you a comparison to what you might be running.

i was running a e4300 2.0Ghz duo core l775 oced to 2.6Ghz w/ a zalman aftermarket fan, 4G ddr2 800, 8600GT, 550W PSU, on a p5b mobo (cost about $800 in july '07 to put together). i could do anything in the game aside from medium to large sieges. (150+ people on the screen). i mostly soloed, went on group pk runs, or group vs group, and guild city squad rushes (10 people crashing a city with 30-50 people in it and bailing to the next city).

current specs:
phenom II 940 quad 3.0Ghz ($91 OEM from newegg + $35 fan) $91 when i got it now looks like $130
zalman cpu fan $35 when i got it $45 now
same memory $60 when i got it, now looks like $95 before rebates
280GTX $100 (unique deal, sorry)
DFI 790gx mobo $110
modular bfg 550w psu $70
best case on the market imo $100
sony optiarch cd/dvd burner w/ lightscribe $35

i can now do whatever the game has to offer with lag only existing briefly when there's alliance vs alliance fights going on (sieging an alliances pilot guild capital city).

if i had to buy a vid card to go with my setup with no special deals, i would probably get this. it's not cheap, but the above build is $490 without the video card factored in. it's usually a couple/few years between my builds, and i always try to keep the budget at 1,000 or less. i think 1,000 dollars is reasonable to play games fluidly for a few years, that's about $333 a year out of my entertainment funds. and, typically, i sell the remains of my previous build for 200-300 dollars (whatever i don't use) to someone willing to sport another 100-200 dollars on it to replace the parts i keep, and have a decent machine if they had a junker. kinda like self sustaining recycling..turns upgrading into a more painless ordeal. i know the above build has its flaws, it's not preparing for upgrades in the future etc. but the point of it is for anyone on the fence making a decision, they can see what i was using before and where i was running into problems - and what i'm using now. a lot of what i'm using now has to do with wanting to help a buddy out and hook him up with most of my old stuff.

bottom line, what does darkfall need the most in order to run well in all situations
to be quite honest and factual, the video cards aren't the primary bottleneck for a game like darkfall - it's the processor. you will need a fast processor. it does take advantage of multi cores especially if you're using the affinity program to seclude your o/s and background processes to 1 cpu, and the rest for darkfall (even if it's only 2 cores at 3.0Ghz+). i know a lot of people that use this and it works just fine, if you feel the need to down the road you can always xfire it up. also the 9800gtx xxx is working well for an intel/nvidia setup from what i hear.

anyways, hope this helps

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan
$1 for a trial?
Wow.

So much fail.

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Dhal

Dhal
  • Members
  • 24 posts
QUOTE (TheShadowNinja @ Apr 3 2010, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$1 for a trial?
Wow.

So much fail.

yep, if it was free to have limitless alts even for 1 week the game would be broken. i know it's hard to understand there actually being accountability in a game, but you're limited to 1 trial key per 1 credit card number. strictly to keep people from feeling like they're hurting themselves by not exploiting macro systems to the fullest extent.

it's a dollar, if you can't pass on 1 mcchicken for 1 day surely your computer couldn't handle the game anyhow..so it'll save you some frustration.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Dhal @ Apr 4 2010, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yep, if it was free to have limitless alts even for 1 week the game would be broken. i know it's hard to understand there actually being accountability in a game, but you're limited to 1 trial key per 1 credit card number. strictly to keep people from feeling like they're hurting themselves by not exploiting macro systems to the fullest extent.

Enough for me to stay away. Why must they always be different from everyone else? And it would break the game? lmao, terrible design if that could truly happen.

QUOTE (Dhal @ Apr 4 2010, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's a dollar, if you can't pass on 1 mcchicken for 1 day surely your computer couldn't handle the game anyhow..so it'll save you some frustration.

Windows XP/Vista, Pentium 4 2.5GHz, 1 GB RAM, 12 GB hard disk space, PixelShader 2.0 compatible 128 MB graphics card

Not very demanding...
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Dirge

Dirge

Best Returning Member '09

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
  • Steam ID:Silent_Dirge
  • Gamer Army ID:3524
  • Company:Alpha
This only makes me want to resub to Warhammer online.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Dhal @ Apr 3 2010, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the graphics are imo better than most MMOs on the market

QUOTE (Dhal @ Apr 3 2010, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, I gave it a chance and watched the video. I can't see how you can say that with a straight face. I added the video to my favorites to use as a point in future arguments as to why this game is terrible. I assume the game is profitable despite only having 20K +/- subscribers, maybe they should move to micro transactions like DDO because this game isn't worth the price.

You could have cut out 2/3 of your post by linking to http://purepwnage.co...showtopic=78446 which also lists better parts.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
QUOTE (Dirge @ Apr 4 2010, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This only makes me want to resub to Warhammer online.

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Dhal

Dhal
  • Members
  • 24 posts
i'm not here to argue, like i said - not a post trying to "entice" people to play. strictly for people who were on the fence already thinking about darkfall but weren't sure if their computers could handle it. the few times i've posted here i've gotten enough PMs from people who were trying to avoid getting trolled to feel like this post wasn't a waste of time. i guess at one time i knew this site to have a majority of people looking for something challenging over something asthetically pleasing (the cs 1.6 crowd over the cs:s crowd), and it actually kinda sucks i have to post this in the MMO thread since DF definitely doesn't appeal to the MMO crowd that's developed in the last 6 years.

anyways, this post is for the PMs i received from my last few posts. there were too many to repsond to most of them, and most of them were asking if the grind was still as shitty as it used to be, if boats were more prevelant, and if the game would run on their computers. i know you can't talk a 350 pound walrus into running marathons and that's not my intension. i now know 95% of this forum is more interested in playing barbie online, dressing up their chars in the latest flashy trends and strutting around a bank somewhere - and that's why my post had a "not for you" disclaimer. glhf @ wow.

oh, also for those the post is for - xpacs will never cost you a penny. as the recent xpac is included in retail price so will all the ones to follow.

Edited by Dhal, 05 April 2010 - 06:48 AM.

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
QUOTE (Dhal @ Apr 5 2010, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not here to argue, like i said - not a post trying to "entice" people to play. strictly for people who were on the fence already thinking about Darkfall but weren't sure if their computers could handle it. the few times I've posted here I've gotten enough PMs from people who were trying to avoid getting trolled to feel like this post wasn't a waste of time. i guess at one time i knew this site to have a majority of people looking for something challenging over something aesthetically pleasing (the cs 1.6 crowd over the cs:s crowd), and it actually kinda sucks i have to post this in the MMO thread since DF definitely doesn't appeal to the MMO crowd that's developed in the last 6 years.

anyways, this post is for the PMs i received from my last few posts. there were too many to respond to most of them, and most of them were asking if the grind was still as shitty as it used to be, if boats were more prevalent, and if the game would run on their computers. i know you can't talk a 350 pound walrus into running marathons and that's not my intention. i now know 95% of this forum is more interested in playing barbie online, dressing up their chars in the latest flashy trends and strutting around a bank somewhere - and that's why my post had a "not for you" disclaimer. glhf @ wow.

oh, also for those the post is for - xpacs will never cost you a penny. as the recent xpac is included in retail price so will all the ones to follow.

One, spellcheck. I've gone ahead and corrected it for you, but try to spell correctly in the future.

Two, I like how you try to sound mature yet add a snarky and sarcastic undertone to insult us.
I've known 12 year olds who've used it to better effect, however.

Three, calling Darkfall demanding yet not have good enough graphics to entice the "graphix kidz" is entirely backwards or a sign of bad programming.

Four, I'm not paying a cent for a game I believe is bad. There are several reasons I believe it is, but I won't elaborate as I've already done so in other Darkfall threads and I've never been countered by a Darkfall player on why it's not.
Rather it's been a stark silence from anyone who plays Darkfall.

Finally, I don't play WoW, don't assume anything as it makes you look like an ass.

Edited by TheShadowNinja, 05 April 2010 - 02:55 PM.

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Dhal @ Apr 5 2010, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i now know 95% of this forum is more interested in playing barbie online, dressing up their chars in the latest flashy trends and strutting around a bank somewhere - and that's why my post had a "not for you" disclaimer. glhf @ wow.

Hey look, it's that kind of poster who can't accept when people don't like "their" game

Remember the Gunz threads?

Eogris

Eogris
  • Members
  • 874 posts
  • xfire:eogris
  • PSN:Eogris_
  • Wii:0062259758890805
The DF trial was interesting when i was looking for an MMO, but i figured i was just going to ultimately go back to WoW anyway. Saved some money hehe. Not sure why a $1 trial doesn't make sense to some of you. Not like they're blizz or SOE

Sir b0niK II

Sir b0niK II
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Darkfall rundown from a Darkfall player of 1 year...

I started playing after a mate linked me the site, it promised so much but at launch delivered so little.
I subbed 1 month after launch and it was fun for the most part, lots of population, free roaming pvp, fun even battles, laughing with other noobs. The graphics are shit but you can't expect much for a 1st person MMO. The game started to go sideways when people thought of a way to afk macro. Every player city had a "bloodwall" where they would swing and shoot at eachother while they slept/went 2 work for skillgains, as in darkfall you skill by swinging or shooting something. Instead of banning the cheaters the developers made x6 faster skill gain on mobs. So there lies the major problem of darkfall where the no lifers have like 100+ HP over anyone who doesn't decide to cheat or login for 8 hours a day. Open world PvP was killed as most people didn't stand a chance against people who could hit 6 times harder and had more health, defence, armour and weapons. Then the developers opened a NA server as they only had a single EU server. It was fun for a short amount of time but wasn't long before people started macroing and killed open world PvP again. Then they allowed EU players to transfer to NA which had 6 months extra server life than NA.

On the original EU server to date, there are 2000 actives out of 12000 subscribers and slowly in decline.
On the NA-1 server there are 3000 actives out of 6000 subscribers and slowly in decline.

Do not pick up this game unless the developers figure out how to stop cheating and reset the server.... probably never.

Edited by Sir b0niK II, 27 April 2010 - 04:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users