Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Episode 4 - Rock On

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

Original Sin

Original Sin
  • GA Private
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Gaming, Swimming
  • Xbox / GFWL:Original Sin33
  • PSN:Maybe Someday
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
  • Gamer Army ID:180
To anyone that may have complained about Episode 3 being a filler, you'll REALLY complain about this episode being a filler.

The whole mockumentary inside of a mockumentary felt 'over the top' cheesy imo. It still had some really funny moments, but I personally felt kind of uncomfortable watching that episode. It's definitely an episode I'd skip if I were ever trying to get friends into watching Pure Pwnage that haven't seen the show before.

Hmm. I guess this was really the first episode I didn't enjoy all that much. Still had to laugh at the lameness on the odd occasion though. That picture of Doug with his leg wrapped around Jeremy, almost kissing him? Very uncomfortable laughter.

Edited by Original Sin, 02 April 2010 - 09:47 PM.

monsoonlol.png

"Don't be ashamed. It's only nature running its course."

Mysticman89

Mysticman89
  • GA Private
  • 180 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3030
  • Company:Charlie
Certain bits wern't censored very much.

T'was different. icon_neutral.gif

frehas

frehas
  • Members
  • 209 posts
I feel the same. This episode had its funny moments but as far as a plot there wasn't anything really.
Was hoping to see the whole starcraft + october thing

It felt more of an episode of family guy to me.
No plot development as a series, just a bunch of funny and awkward moments with a neutral ending.

I did enjoy seeing lips involved, that was a real great statement how different guitar video games are from real guitar. icon_smile.gif

all in all if I were to rate it based on other episodes this one comes last with a 6.5/10

Edited by frehas, 02 April 2010 - 11:46 PM.

QUOTE (Osama Bin Laden @ Sept 11 2001, 11:12 AM)
Sorry!

Okami Yushin

Okami Yushin
  • Members
  • 72 posts
Don't really see how it's a filler since there isn't a story arc in place yet (I actually liked PP without any story arcs, especially the Gamer Army one or whatever it was). These first several episodes were essentially introductory, and this one focused on Jeremy wanting to win what he considered to be a tournament (which works with his character). And instead of taking a conservative approach to the episode, they decided to try something different and go with a mockumentary. I actually thought they did a very good job with the episode, considering the approach they decided to take. It certainly wasn't perfect (wasn't a fan of the mini-music video, etc.), but I probably liked it more than the first three (or maybe just the first two).
Thunder

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
This was by far one of the worst episodes of anything I've watched on TV ever.

Very disappointing.

But they'll come back next week with some funny stuff probably.

toKs1c

toKs1c
  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • xfire:stewiefan999
  • Interests:FPS<br />MMO's<br />RTS<br />Graphic and Web Design
When Doug's mom flashed her titties, you could still see almost everything. Wish the US had censorship like that.

Dante2006

Dante2006
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, music, technology
  • Steam ID:hell_dantes
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dante20006
QUOTE (toKs1c @ Apr 2 2010, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When Doug's mom flashed her titties, you could still see almost everything. Wish the US had censorship like that.

You wanted to see that?

wert

wert
  • Members
  • 159 posts
Watching it right now, and while I loved episode 3- this one thus far is just utterly dreadful. I'm really starting to doubt the whole series simply because the acting/plot etc is so bad...

edit: dougs acting is...awkward. They brought him from an unstable version of jeremy into an even MORE socially awkward character to the point where he's essentially devoid of any understanding. Thus, he always has to act overly ecstatic for these implausible situations...and it becomes bad. I just dont think they are writing his character properly and its negatively impacting his performance.

edit2: yeah just finished, horrible episode, nothing redeeming at all.

Edited by wert, 03 April 2010 - 12:12 AM.

Flamescale

Flamescale
  • Members
  • 39 posts
Rocker Dude was awesome xD

teh_HyDr0iD

teh_HyDr0iD
  • Members
  • 343 posts
  • xfire:vaughnlesterinoz
  • Steam ID:teh_HyDr0iD
I'm gathering that its aired already then?

*twiddles thumbs*

Intel Core i7 870 | Corsair H50 Watercooler | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz
Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy GTX 460 768MB SLI | OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD
2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD RAID-0 | Corsair HX850W PSU | Samsung Blu-Ray

Xander756

Xander756
  • Members
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft, Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Apr 3 2010, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was by far one of the worst episodes of anything I've watched on TV ever.

Very disappointing.

But they'll come back next week with some funny stuff probably.

Seems like they are trying too hard to be funny. The reason the web series was funny was because they would just make a couple of video game-related wise cracks.

frehas

frehas
  • Members
  • 209 posts
QUOTE (Dante2006 @ Apr 3 2010, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You wanted to see that?

^^

QUOTE (Flamescale @ Apr 3 2010, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rocker Dude was awesome xD

That was Steve Kudlow from the heavy rock band Anvil. There is a documentary on the band called "Anvil! The Story of Anvil" it's really a great watch!
(Cutesy of Melanie's facebook page http://www.facebook....mp;topic=12533)

And um Tyrel in the hot-tub playing? WIN FEST icon_smile.gif I lol'd so hard

QUOTE (Osama Bin Laden @ Sept 11 2001, 11:12 AM)
Sorry!

Nailer-

Nailer-
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • xfire:nailer02
  • Steam ID:s7disruptor
  • Xbox / GFWL:xNaiLeRx
sry but that episode was lame. maybe i missed something? i mean dont get me wrong it did have a couple of funny parts but srsly come on.

Disastorm

Disastorm
  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Pwning
QUOTE (Nailer- @ Apr 3 2010, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sry but that episode was lame. maybe i missed something? i mean dont get me wrong it did have a couple of funny parts but srsly come on.

I liked first 3 eps but this one wasn't as good. However I did think the Tyrell in the hottub scenes were very funny lol. also jeremy trying to play solo in the beginning with all 4 instruments was pretty funny.

Edited by Disastorm, 03 April 2010 - 12:53 AM.

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
I thought it was much better than Episode 3.

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

L2PDave

L2PDave
  • Members
  • 22 posts
I hate to say it because I LOVE Pure Pwnage... but, I agree with a majority of the comments so far. This episode was actually pretty damn difficult to watch. I can understand if they write an episode for casual gamers/non-gamers... but, it wasn't even that. It was just a ball of weirdness wrapped in a coating of awkward. It had SOME jokes here and there, but other than that, this episode was definitely the lowest point of this season/series. (I really hate to add to the flames/fire on it, but it needs to be said.)

A documentary that takes place in a mockumentary is fine, but a documentary of a mockumentary of a game is a stretch too far. It wasn't a funny stretch; it was just a weird stretch that seemed VERY out of place and awkward.(Almost like it was an afterthought) The episode just too many layers. (The filming/how the story was told seemed convoluted. It showed in both the actors and script.)

If the episode was dealt with differently with the editing, this episode could have been great. What I'm trying to say is... I saw what they were going for... but they didn't really get there. It actually seemed like they decided AT THE LAST MINUTE they wanted to edit it into that documentary(BAND SPECIAL) style with the voiceover.

If anyone in the crew is reading this, you should know.... don't overcomplicate things. It's great to try something new and interesting, I'm a film major, I know, but the quality of this episode could have been much greater if you did not incorporate the voiceover and the whole 'band documentary' spiel. (Which really came off as something you didn't write. It seemed like you were missing footage and edited around the missing footage by using VO docu style...)

Lastly. Stick to what you're good at. The Pure Pwnage formula shouldn't change that drastically episode to episode. It is VERY offputting especially because this is ONLY the first season. An episode like this could cut your viewing audience drastically(on the other hand, it could also drastically INCREASE your viewing audience, but right now, your viewers aren't something you want to gamble with like that). Once you get a decent following on TV, you can do what you want, go crazy, but right now, you really should try to play it safe.

I'm trying not to be hard on the episode because I WANT to enjoy Pure Pwnage... I want it to do well, but this isn't an episode that I can just praise. I'm going to give the episode another look tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to stand by my original opinion.

Edited by L2PDave, 03 April 2010 - 03:08 AM.

Giluc

Giluc
  • GA Private
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Consoles lol
  • Steam ID:Giluc
  • Xbox / GFWL:GilucZ
  • Wii:4205091662810049
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
  • Gamer Army ID:4128
  • Company:Eta
Just saw it... It was okay, but yea, pretty much a filler. Didn't like the "mockumentary in mockumentary" about it, but it was okay.

I LIKE
CHOCOLATE MILK

Lewdis

Lewdis
  • Members
  • 1,153 posts
  • xfire:lewdis65
  • Interests:Video games and soccer
  • Steam ID:lewdis65
  • PSN:Lewdis
How did you guys not love Doug told the Rockstar guy to eff off, like come on I laughed hard at that.

Dante2006

Dante2006
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, music, technology
  • Steam ID:hell_dantes
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dante20006
I do have to agree with everyone else, this is a disappointing episode. Episode 1 and 2 were great. They both fleshed out the characters more, advanced the story, and had some really great moments. They felt like classic Pure Pwnage. Episode 3 I didn't really care for, but that's no surprise as I didn't care for episode 2 of the web series. Still, it had its moments, and did do more for the show overall. Episode 4, however, was awful. Why?

Filler.

That's all this episode is, is filler. It showed nothing about the characters we didn't know, added no new plot points, and to be completely honest, wasn't even funny. This is the kind of episode in a TV show that you could remove completely and no one would notice. Now, I know not every episode can be a huge epic that changes the whole story, but did that really need to put something like this as the 4th episode of the first season? This is something you'd expect once a show has settled, not as it's just starting.

Anyways, I don't want to sound like one of those people who want the show to fail. I do still believe that Jeff and Jarett are geniuses, but this episode was a flop. Hopefully the next episode is better.

Lightbrand

Lightbrand
  • Members
  • 69 posts
@those who used season 1 as an excuse to not have this episode

I don't care if it's in the dash middle of season 3. I do not want to wait a week to see an episode like this AT ALL.
PP only has a cult following, those who wait til 10pm to watch this on Friday are all people who knows PP from the web series.

People who are flipping channel on week 1 might find the first episode interesting, but for those who flipped to it on the 3rd week and found episode 3 interesting only to get bombed by this on the 4th week on their second episode? I wouldn't give a damn if I miss next week's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users