Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Speaking Of April Fools...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • PSN:The_Con-Sept
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 5 2010, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't matter if they are still advertising it or not. It was a publicly advertised feature on the launch of that version of the product, and that version of the product is losing the feature advertised for it.

Show me an old commercial that was aired into the public that was NOT E3 and then we can file suit against Sony. Unless the customer knew about it and actually used it then there would be.... substance to the entire situation. But.... Majority Rules. And the Majority of PS3 owners DO NOT use the Other OS function on it. On Terra Soft Solutions' website itself there are not a lot of users in the PS3 section of their "user base."

Sadly Sony can continue doing what they want with the PS3.

However on the flip side I think Sony is just scared. All this shit about piracy I can comprehend and see why they are doing so but why can't they just....

...Fucking...ULGH!

They had it set up to where you can not access the RSX Chip. You also have no access to the PS3's Main OS without it noticing any changes and requiring you to re-update it online and go through an Online check as part of the process each time. The "Hello World" for PS3 hasn't even gotten [PS3] games running on it yet. It is not even confirmed by the person who pretty much announced it just 1 month ago. I also do not see how they will be able to do it without Sony creating a simple update to prevent piracy.

(Sony is hell bent on keeping their units piracy free. Have you seen what they have done to the PS2? "DNAS")

So I just think Sony became lazy and just cut it off completely. Nest thing you know Sony will take that partnership with Steam for their next console.

How can you run a pirated PS3 game in Linux if you have no access to the RSX GPU? I have not seen this hack nor have I seen any proof that any game can be ran without the RSX. So my question to this developer is... How are you able to run any of the games? Please explain this in detail.

Never mind....

Edited by The_Con-Sept, 06 April 2010 - 04:02 PM.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 6 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Show me an old commercial that was aired into the public that was NOT E3 and then we can file suit against Sony. Unless the customer knew about it and actually used it then there would be.... substance to the entire situation. But.... Majority Rules. And the Majority of PS3 owners DO NOT use the Other OS function on it. On Terra Soft Solutions' website itself there are not a lot of users in the PS3 section of their "user base."

Official announcements and features listed on or inside the box count as advertised features in court. The only way Sony will win a lawsuit over this is if nobody sues or the opposing lawyer is completely incompetent.

OtherOS was listed as a feature for everyone who bought it. Either it or the ability to play Blu-Rays and PS3 games is going to be lost to users who bought the system with that advertised feature.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
I don't have my box so I wouldn't know it for sure. I don't remember it being listed but I can't check up on that right now...

However I give the PS3 4 months before someone finally figures it out. Then the PS3 can officially be the Dreamcast 2.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 6 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have my box so I wouldn't know it for sure. I don't remember it being listed but I can't check up on that right now...

However I give the PS3 4 months before someone finally figures it out. Then the PS3 can officially be the Dreamcast 2.

it's still in the user's guide...

http://manuals.plays.../osinstall.html
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 6 2010, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's still in the user's guide...

http://manuals.plays.../osinstall.html

True it is going to be listed in there, but I still can't confirm it to be false advertising. It may be in the manual but it would have to be publicly known. Who knows how far the law suit will go. But right now I still believe within 4 months the PS3 will be hacked.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 7 2010, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True it is going to be listed in there, but I still can't confirm it to be false advertising. It may be in the manual but it would have to be publicly known. Who knows how far the law suit will go. But right now I still believe within 4 months the PS3 will be hacked.

it's not false advertising. It's removal of an advertised feature. It would be like whoever makes your TV disabling your component AV ports for security reasons.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 7 2010, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's not false advertising. It's removal of an advertised feature. It would be like whoever makes your TV disabling your component AV ports for security reasons.

We will have to see how it goes down in court.

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
Wait, is someone actually suing about this?

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 8 2010, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We will have to see how it goes down in court.

I think they're starting a class action lawsuit, and they should. not only because they will more than likely win, but because removing features from your product after people buy it is a ridiculous practice.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
We will still have to see how it goes down in court.

I do not think there are many customer's fully aware that launch model PS3's had this ability. While some PS3's were bought in clusters for super computing I once again highly doubt that they update their PS3's. They still sell them in clusters of 50-175 all with preloaded software on them. (Or at least that what some websites have you believe. I don't know if they even have them in stock right now.)

Sony's rebuttal was rather cold yes, however I am going to look into the proceedings that unfold. Sony may just be sent to the corner and forced to "undo" what they did and pay a small fine, or take the heat head on.

My guess: 60-40 chance in Sony's favor. Either Sony will pull another deal.... or lose.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 10 2010, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My guess: 60-40 chance in Sony's favor. Either Sony will pull another deal.... or lose.

how is that 60-40 iin sony's favor?

Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
1. Sony has a clause written in their License agreement in every update that you must agree to. If you do not agree to it then the update does not happen. It means that you are not to in any way re-write the software or use it for piracy. Even though emulators do work on the PS3... as long as they are not Sony's games they don't care. But because of this new surprise Sony would rather just get rid of it seeing how no one uses it. YOU yourself in the past have said that the feature is useless.

2. How many times has Sony been to court? What was the outcome of each and every one of them?

Sony Betamax recording. Sony won: "Fair use." To be specific: "noncommercial home use recording was considered fair use"

Sony's Rumble: Sony struck a deal with the company instead of just paying them off like Microsoft did. Sony is now a partner with them and the charges were dropped.

Strickland v. Sony. "violent video games" if you remember: Thompson withdrew and now this case has spun in a different direction. No outcome yet.

Sony's DRM in music. Sony won: Once again settled outside of court for their XCP thing being installed using a rootkit. All charges dropped.

The list goes on. I do not think Sony has lost one yet. They know the rules and they know how to bend them.

3. Once again how many people use this feature? How many people cared about this feature? How many want to use it at all who have that launch model PS3?

I see Sony getting this one dismissed.

Unless people suddenly want the feature because of Piracy. How would that look? It is a whole thing of past and present. Before word got out that Sony's system was hacked NO ONE CARED about the other OS shit. Once word came out and Sony took it away NOW they care.

Just like the backwards compatibility. At first NO ONE wanted to buy a PS3 to play PS2 or PS1 games. But then once it was taken out the ones who cried about playing PS2 games on a PS3 suddenly cry because that feature was taken out.

How come no one cried when Sony launched a console without the OS support feature at all before this update? Wouldn't there be a lawsuit for that? Same with the PS2 shit?

No. I believe NO ONE cares.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 10 2010, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Sony has a clause written in their License agreement in every update that you must agree to. If you do not agree to it then the update does not happen. It means that you are not to in any way re-write the software or use it for piracy. Even though emulators do work on the PS3... as long as they are not Sony's games they don't care. But because of this new surprise Sony would rather just get rid of it seeing how no one uses it. YOU yourself in the past have said that the feature is useless.

Pirating is erroneous. There were people that used Linux on their PS3's for completely normal reasons. The agreement doesn't really matter because sony gave users no choice in the matter. You either agree or you lose the major features of the PS3 (access to PSN, the ability to play PS3 games, the ability to play blu-rays). Those are not reasonable terms.

2. How many times has Sony been to court? What was the outcome of each and every one of them?

Sony Betamax recording. Sony won: "Fair use." To be specific: "noncommercial home use recording was considered fair use"

Sony's Rumble: Sony struck a deal with the company instead of just paying them off like Microsoft did. Sony is now a partner with them and the charges were dropped.

Strickland v. Sony. "violent video games" if you remember: Thompson withdrew and now this case has spun in a different direction. No outcome yet.

Sony's DRM in music. Sony won: Once again settled outside of court for their XCP thing being installed using a rootkit. All charges dropped.

The list goes on. I do not think Sony has lost one yet. They know the rules and they know how to bend them.

That is not every time sony has been to court. They lost a class action lawsuit over the PS2, and I'd hardly say striking a deal with a company that files a lawsuit against you winning. How is making them take you to court before you pay them anything better than paying them in the first place?

3. Once again how many people use this feature? How many people cared about this feature? How many want to use it at all who have that launch model PS3?

I see Sony getting this one dismissed.

Unless people suddenly want the feature because of Piracy. How would that look? It is a whole thing of past and present. Before word got out that Sony's system was hacked NO ONE CARED about the other OS shit. Once word came out and Sony took it away NOW they care.

Just like the backwards compatibility. At first NO ONE wanted to buy a PS3 to play PS2 or PS1 games. But then once it was taken out the ones who cried about playing PS2 games on a PS3 suddenly cry because that feature was taken out.

How come no one cried when Sony launched a console without the OS support feature at all before this update? Wouldn't there be a lawsuit for that? Same with the PS2 shit?

No. I believe NO ONE cares.

It doesn't matter how many people use it. Is it ok to murder one person? I mean there's 6 billion people in the world. The majority of people won't even hear about the murder let alone care.

Selling another iteration of a system without a feature is 100% ok. It's the fact that they are removing the feature from systems that were sold with the knowledge that the user could have that feature. They are not even comparable situations legally.

Give me LoL Referals.

Sporky

Sporky
  • Members
  • 164 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Sporkyftw
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 8 2010, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they're starting a class action lawsuit, and they should. not only because they will more than likely win, but because removing features from your product after people buy it is a ridiculous practice.

You can say that again. It's like they want to piss people off.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 10 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pirating is erroneous. There were people that used Linux on their PS3's for completely normal reasons. The agreement doesn't really matter because sony gave users no choice in the matter. You either agree or you lose the major features of the PS3 (access to PSN, the ability to play PS3 games, the ability to play blu-rays). Those are not reasonable terms.

But again the people who use Linux on their PS3's are mostly using it for research. They don't use it for gaming so they never update the PS3's. A Majority of PS3 other OS users use them for research, not gaming.

Not as many people switch between the Linux OS and Gaming. In fact I know people who tried Linux on the PS3 and later on deleted the partition because well.. They don't know Linux at all pretty much.

It is still a minority. I wonder how many will join in. (To me I do not believe a lot will be there.)

That is not every time sony has been to court.

QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 10 2010, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The list goes on.

Miss a sentence? icon_razz.gif

They lost a class action lawsuit over the PS2, and I'd hardly say striking a deal with a company that files a lawsuit against you winning. How is making them take you to court before you pay them anything better than paying them in the first place?

Selling another iteration of a system without a feature is 100% ok. It's the fact that they are removing the feature from systems that were sold with the knowledge that the user could have that feature. They are not even comparable situations legally.

So you are trying to pull a....never mind... I don't want to finish that sentence.

But once again a lot of people DID NOT KNOW about this feature. A lot of them didn't care about the feature what so ever. A lot of them still do not care. Even in the comments on various websites for the news of this outcome a MAJORITY of people still don't care. Some are even agreeing with Sony's reasoning in said comment sections.

(This is my favorite article.)

It doesn't matter how many people use it. Is it ok to murder one person? I mean there's 6 billion people in the world. The majority of people won't even hear about the murder let alone care.

I can already see where this is going. End result: Not enough people care.

"If someone bought PS3 for OtherOS feature, Sony doesn't take it away. It says, "just don't upgrade and continue to use OtherOS"."

I see your reasoning and where the argument will go. But again not enough people care for this lawsuit to have any grounds.

Even with Murder not enough people care. Escaped prisoners... not enough people care. (They watch America's Most wanted and see the damn face all over the damn screen... The next day they could be staring at the number one wanted criminal, just inches from themselves, and won't even realize it until they are on the news caught at the Mexican border.) I know I might sound a bit harsh but it is so fucking god damn shockingly true.

Now I am not saying you are, but sticking up for others in such a matter only reaches def ears. That is why I said in order for this to really go down how it should, the numbers need to be in hundreds of thousands. To me it seems that it is only in the hundreds.

(But just for fun... I bet Sony will pull the same stunt they did a few years back when the PS2 compatibility went bye bye. "Just keep a 60G fat PS3 and Buy a slim if you want to keep playing games and have the Other OS function! STACK THEM! HAVE TWO OF THEM!")

Oh and here is that Clause in the License Agreement in EVERY UPDATE:

"Without limitation, services may include the provision of the latest update or download of new release that may include security patches, new technology or revised settings and features which may prevent access to unauthorized or pirated content, or use of unauthorized hardware or software in connection with the PS3™ system. Additionally, you may not be able to view your own content if it includes or displays content that is protected by authentication technology. Some services may change your current settings, cause a loss of data or content, or cause some loss of functionality."

Like I said if there is ANY WAY to hack ANYTHING FOR the PS3 they will take it out. And thus they have. This is another reason why I think it won't have good ground in a court room. Just like the Million Dollar Home Page. when it was taken to court Sony probably will walk out unscathed.

(I still don't know why the press is making such a big deal over it. Its not like they were using that feature for their website. Damn hypocrites.)

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 10 2010, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But once again a lot of people DID NOT KNOW about this feature. A lot of them didn't care about the feature what so ever. A lot of them still do not care. Even in the comments on various websites for the news of this outcome a MAJORITY of people still don't care. Some are even agreeing with Sony's reasoning in said comment sections.

(This is my favorite article.)

A lot of people don't care. It only takes one to file a lawsuit. I think its crazy how readily people are willing to support the removal of major selling points of the original console.

Also, check out the playstation blog comment section if you think not enough people care.

I can already see where this is going. End result: Not enough people care.

"If someone bought PS3 for OtherOS feature, Sony doesn't take it away. It says, "just don't upgrade and continue to use OtherOS"."

I see your reasoning and where the argument will go. But again not enough people care for this lawsuit to have any grounds.

then they say, "Well then you took away blu-ray and PS3 game capability."

And what about all the people who don't have their PS3 connected to the internet? Sony said anyone not on the new firmware can't play future PS3 games. Are they just boned?
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 11 2010, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A lot of people don't care. It only takes one to file a lawsuit. I think its crazy how readily people are willing to support the removal of major selling points of the original console.

I find it funny how you are-So ironic.

Also, check out the playstation blog comment section if you think not enough people care.

Someone had a count of how many people actually cared in that comment section. I think it was all of about 30 people who were serious about it. Sad really...

Anyone who owns a PS3 on this forum, viewing this topic, care about the Other OS function at all? Rate from 1 to 5. 5 being most wanted.

My vote is 2.

then they say, "Well then you took away blu-ray and PS3 game capability."

And what about all the people who don't have their PS3 connected to the internet? Sony said anyone not on the new firmware can't play future PS3 games. Are they just boned?

Like I said most people who use the Other OS function don't play video games. It is strictly for research.

I agree that it is bullshit about the future games but once again... How many people use it? How many people can really say that using Linux on a PS3 is like using it on a modern day PC? (of 2006.)

I have already given my statement on it and it takes a lot of patience using Linux on a PS3. If you do not know exactly what you are doing then stay away from it. There are guides but most errors have not been solved yet.

I still find it funny how you can omit the new versions not having it at all.

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 11 2010, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
snip

4, because every other PS3 owner on here made it seem like this was the most grand feature ever created.
And like that, he was gone.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 11 2010, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find it funny how you are-So ironic.

how is it ironic?
Give me LoL Referals.

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
1, people have already figured out ways to put linux on firmware 3.21. Crisis averted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users