Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Episode 1 - Life Of A Pro Gamer

• Please log in to reply
464 replies to this topic

F00D4TeHG0Dz

F00D4TeHG0Dz
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • xfire:aidsinfect247
  • Xbox / GFWL:aidsinfect247
QUOTE (Anth0ny @ Mar 13 2010, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was good, not great. Seeing teh_pwnerer and the Canada flag above Boxer and all the other Korean Starcraft pros killed me.

I found it to be very refreshing! Like they redid all season 1 ep 1-3 and made it one sweet episode.
Aside from the parents, I'm already in love with the tv-series. Only time will tell if they can keep an audience interested icon_smile.gif

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,316 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
Nice "shout-out" as I'm going to call it to Danoli3 at the beginning (when they were showing youtube clips), and then Sirko when they were playing WoW. The episode was pretty awesome I thought, the only thing that was kind of bothersome was the repetition of stuff we've already seen basically. I expected them to do that in the first episode so I didn't really mind, but it obviously wasn't super interesting since I've already seen it. I'm referring to the parts where they're like: "So I'm Jeremy, I do such and such, that's Doug, he does such and such, that's Kyle, he does things" etc. and the part at the end with the noob song.

Also, did anyone have trouble with the ads, mine went into like an infinite loop at the first 'commercial break' and just kept playing the ad over and over again, I had to open the page again to get it to work properly.

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Maires

Maires
  • Members
  • 10 posts
Great Episode guys!

Remember everyone, if you want to support the show, please keep watching it on Showcase on Fridays. As well as on Showcase.ca. icon_biggrin.gif

I did miss seeing the characters. Nice addition, but I am missing Tagi and Dave a great deal. I hope to see them around soon.

Jeremy leading the Raid was awesome. I laughed so hard.

The most strange thing was seeing Jeremy's scruff grow out a little more than usual. icon_surprised.gif

Boo to new girl. lol She totally fell in love with Jeremy after seeing his uber tanking skillz. Stay away!
Tagi 4ever
Bears and Bawls Sacks FTW

Protein

Protein
  • Members
  • 32 posts
It was fantastic, keep it up guys!

I've been a fan forever since Ep. 3 i was worried about the whole change but of course you guys had too much respect for the community to really do something that would in anyway turn us off.
I really love how you guys have stayed humble.

You can tell that even though they've made the jump to 'sell-out land' they will never ever disappoint the fans.

Kudos my friends. Truly, you've done the impossible.

Joey.

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • xfire:360shunted
  • Steam ID:shunted
  • Xbox / GFWL:shunted
  • PSN:shunted
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
QUOTE (mikelo @ Mar 13 2010, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thought it was pretty great, Doug punting that kid out of his wagon was great.

I was not surprised they had WoW involved, but it is nice to see they are basically going with the same kind of plot from the TV series and involving the characters in similar ways.

Doug's mom is kind of crazy.

I think the next episode will involve Jeremy trying to find a job and move out on his own like he did in the internet episodes, probably with the same humor involved. (Pray they wont use the same "sell my hair" joke)

Kind of disappointed they wasted the last "scene" playing that song he did in the internet series but I can understand why they did, it is pretty good.

I hope people take to it, I would be really disappointed if this got canceled, but I can see why, a lot of the material is beyond most people and you really have to play games or care about them to even want to care about this show.

Overall a great transition from the web series while maintaining the overall character scheme and story telling atmosphere, people are either going to like it or hate it, but the execution was well done.

it wasnt a joke, he really did sell his hair and gave the money to charity

Ph0biA

Ph0biA
  • GA Lieutenant
  • 1,488 posts
  • xfire:iamphobia
  • Steam ID:Ph0biA
  • Xbox / GFWL:PPGA Ph0biA
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
  • Gamer Army ID:178
  • Company:Golf
QUOTE (UDP @ Mar 13 2010, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice "shout-out" as I'm going to call it to Danoli3 at the beginning (when they were showing youtube clips), and then Sirko when they were playing WoW. The episode was pretty awesome I thought, the only thing that was kind of bothersome was the repetition of stuff we've already seen basically. I expected them to do that in the first episode so I didn't really mind, but it obviously wasn't super interesting since I've already seen it. I'm referring to the parts where they're like: "So I'm Jeremy, I do such and such, that's Doug, he does such and such, that's Kyle, he does things" etc. and the part at the end with the noob song.

Also, did anyone have trouble with the ads, mine went into like an infinite loop at the first 'commercial break' and just kept playing the ad over and over again, I had to open the page again to get it to work properly.

This pretty much sums it up. Although I didn't care too much for the Doug's fight with his mom (I prefer the lag scene), I can honestly say that the episode impressed me. Generally 8.5/10.

I love that you see Danoli3 and Sirko. Can't wait for a Skrie and Weiman reference (and Myren of course). I can't wait til the next episode.

eafkuor

eafkuor
  • Members
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:PurePwnage, Computers, Science and Basketball =)
QUOTE (shunted @ Mar 13 2010, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it wasnt a joke, he really did sell his hair and gave the money to charity

To charity?

Anyway I liked the episode, it was not super awesome (doug smashing everything seemed forced, for example), but that's also because I probably need to get used to the new characters and setting.
I'm sure it will get better with time. I'm confident the acting will improve as well.

LoLto

LoLto
  • Members
  • 112 posts
I really enjoyed it, probably helps that I understood everything. I wonder how well it will do with an audience that isn't well versed in gaming culture. Can't wait for more! pp_smiley7.gif

extnct

extnct
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • xfire:rxw
Canadians should really watch it on TV or through the website, it's the only way Showcase can make PP audience figures a concrete number and decide whether or not to continue the series.

Asfastasican

Asfastasican
  • Members
  • 12 posts
QUOTE (Protein @ Mar 13 2010, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was fantastic, keep it up guys!

I've been a fan forever since Ep. 3 i was worried about the whole change but of course you guys had too much respect for the community to really do something that would in anyway turn us off.
I really love how you guys have stayed humble.

You can tell that even though they've made the jump to 'sell-out land' they will never ever disappoint the fans.

Kudos my friends. Truly, you've done the impossible.

Joey.

QTF.

Honestly, you couldn't ask for a better transition. Some of the people on these forums are trying to hard to hate on something before it was even shown to the public for no apparent reason. Grow up. If you didn't enjoy this intro episode, I would hardly think of you as true Pure Pwnage fans. Makes me wonder how few of you haters watched PP pre-s01e06!

It's also brought a lot of elements from the internet show, which is appreciated. Sure, they are redoing the story somewhat a second time around, but that was the point of bringing the show to TV in the first place. You can't expect the crew to redesign the whole formula of a show that you all loved, especially since you weren't directly paying for it in the first place. It's like Blizzard trying to make SC2 not feel like SC1. They wouldn't ever be as stupid to try something like that. Why fix something that isn't broken? And honestly, I HIGHLY doubt any other website or group of producers would be able to top the cast of PP characters and their adventures. It would feel forced or copied, to some extent.

They've struck a balance between a mainstream audience and the hardcore audience. On top of that, they are doing what they love and have more time to write while gaining recognition on a medium thats has aged for many years. Be jaded if you want. I loved the first episode as is, especially since they are now making it work within a 21 minute format!

It's like what Robert Frost once said about poetry written without triambic pentameter (sp?). Writing a poem without pentameter is like playing Tennis without a net. Geoff and Jarret are now playing with a net and they are doing it pretty damn well.

Poodle

Poodle
  • Members
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Gamezzzz
I don't think it was too good, but I believe this will change as the series continues. I guess this was just more or less a introduction to the TV audience what PP is about. I'll still keep watching even if it should turn out to be the worst show ever.
You can't judge the series on the first episode so... I'm gonna just sit it out and wait.

L2PDave

L2PDave
  • Members
  • 22 posts
I haven't watched the original series in awhile, but I can say that I enjoyed the new episode more than I thought I would.

Plasmic Fury... are you serious? ... A show about gaming... has toooo many gaming references in it? Go watch something else. It's target audience are gamers. You'd prefer Jeremy just being an idiot on TV for 28-30 minutes an episode? Where is the conflict in that? Where is the structure? That would make the show a lot worse. I can tell you with a lot of certainty, any gamer who watched the show enjoyed it. Why was the story moving fast? Might I remind you it IS a reboot... meaning they are using primarily old material(for the first few episodes). They've written A LOT of new material for this season. They want to wrap up that old material(and character introductions) quickly, so they can jump right into the new material. The speed the show is going at is making perfect sense.

I mean... if you hate the show, it's fine with me, people will hate it, but don't try and represent anyone but yourself with your opinion of it.

Edited by L2PDave, 13 March 2010 - 04:36 AM.

Rob`

Rob`
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • xfire:noobnoobnoob1337
QUOTE (UDP @ Mar 13 2010, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice "shout-out" as I'm going to call it to Danoli3 at the beginning

Yeh he must be kinda chuffed in a weird sort of way.
Perhaps if this signature is witty enough, someone will finally love me.

AntiBeast

AntiBeast
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Man it sux so bad that I had to work during PP TV Premier... sux bawls indeed. I suppose there is no way to catch it again huh..

battlemage03

battlemage03
  • Members
  • 1,333 posts
It was... glorious.

/manly tears

Serisously, it was really good. Only... in the first scene with Doug's mom I was basically like

Other than that it was really enjoyable, looking forward to the next ones.

GeorgeTHPS

GeorgeTHPS
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • xfire:GeorgeThePlushie
  • Wii:4759284848963303
I might be going crazy, but it seems like the kid getting punted uses the Wilhelm Scream sound effect, and they distorted it to make it sound like a kid. No, I'm certain of it, they used the Wilhelm Scream and sped it up.

dani3l

dani3l
  • Members
  • 38 posts
Completely love it.
Nopeno

teh_metalizer

teh_metalizer
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • xfire:pwnhammer
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Mar 13 2010, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, that was actually awful.

Acting: What the hell was wrong with Jeremy and Doug in this shit? Doug was screaming his guts out so articulately, meanwhile Jeremy was talking way to fast. The only one who sounded normal was Kyle. The extra actors were awful too, but at least that one chick is kinda hot.

Story: I can understand they need to re-iterate all the stuff from the web series, but it was all shoved into 1 episode really fast. All the scenes just had less weight on them as they were poorly acted. When doug was smashing shit and yelling at his parents I just bert-stared. It wasn't good, it just seemed overly scripted and missed the target on what they wanted.

Too much gaming: The show is about games, I know. But everything was about gaming it was making me uncomfortable. I was hoping for less gaming references and just jeremy being an idiot.

I can tell you with a lot of certainty, that anyone over the age of 15 who doesnt play games often will think that was the worst 30minutes of TV they have watched.

The only good part of that episode was Jeremys joke about WW eleven.

I cringed at more than 80% of this episode.

Would give this episode a 3/10.

Toaly agree with you man, though they should just balance the gaming jokes n the other jokes like the always did..

Edited by teh_metalizer, 13 March 2010 - 06:22 AM.

teh_HyDr0iD

teh_HyDr0iD
  • Members
  • 343 posts
  • xfire:vaughnlesterinoz
  • Steam ID:teh_HyDr0iD
I loved the new episode. I think the interview with Doug's mother was unnecessary, but Jeremy's mother was "ok" considering that she is the one canceling the internet and kicking Jeremy out. Although they could have gone with the "invisible mom" like the internet series which left everything we heard about her from Jeremy and Kyle's conversations.

EDIT:
One thing that just came to mind though. I used to play Farcry 2 a lot (was in a clan and had a high rank on the leaderboards and played with all the top players and all) and it really made me cringe to see Jeremy using the flamethrower. I think if they wanted to demonstrate his skills they should have let him use the machette or else maybe quickscoping the guy with a sniper. Also in Farcry 2 the max amount of players on each team is 8...not 16.

I do want to know how they made the machinima though because I can't find out how to.

Edited by teh_HyDr0iD, 13 March 2010 - 06:26 AM.

Intel Core i7 870 | Corsair H50 Watercooler | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz
Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy GTX 460 768MB SLI | OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD
2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD RAID-0 | Corsair HX850W PSU | Samsung Blu-Ray

Ayashi

Ayashi
  • Members
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Pony should pony pony
I think it kicked ass, rofl icon_biggrin.gif
QUOTE (Yes - Close to the Edge)
Down at the end, round by the corner,
Close to the edge, just by a river,