Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Episode 1 - Life Of A Pro Gamer

• Please log in to reply
464 replies to this topic

Original Sin

Original Sin
  • GA Private
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Gaming, Swimming
  • Xbox / GFWL:Original Sin33
  • PSN:Maybe Someday
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
  • Gamer Army ID:180
I'd love it if they'd do a preview for next week at the end of each show. Hopefully Showcase will do that during the week for commercials instead.

monsoonlol.png

"Don't be ashamed. It's only nature running its course."

embroisured

embroisured
  • GA Private
  • 1,723 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Drunkard Zero
  • Gamer Army ID:3725
way too many people here think that they professional acting instructors/critics

Original Sin

Original Sin
  • GA Private
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Gaming, Swimming
  • Xbox / GFWL:Original Sin33
  • PSN:Maybe Someday
  • Gamer Army ID:180
QUOTE (embroisured @ Mar 13 2010, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
way too many people here think that they professional acting instructors/critics

In the 4th scene, 3rd shot, Doug clearly blinks his eyes way too many times. It's so not like Doug!

monsoonlol.png

"Don't be ashamed. It's only nature running its course."

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
QUOTE (Myren @ Mar 12 2010, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cod 4 is more mainstream so people will connect more.

Well to be fair, they played Cod4 in the web series too.

Aside from the moms, who just didn't seem to sync with the vibe of the rest of the show, it was great. I will definitely keep watching.
IPB Image

PWN3R3D

PWN3R3D
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Steam ID:PWN3R3D
  • Xbox / GFWL:stabwound987
  • PSN:God_Pwn3r
Dude jeremy pwns jaedong....JAEDONG!!!!

OMFG

SHOW WAS EPIC

*the new noob song is gr8!!!!!!*

Edited by PWN3R3D, 13 March 2010 - 01:09 AM.

Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 704 posts
  • Steam ID:Seantbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Seantbh
Very enjoyable. icon_biggrin.gif I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. Some nice little moments in there for the original fans too. Doug was amazing and I can't wait to see some Starcraft and Street Fighter action.

Will the show make the grade on TV? I'm not sure yet because the casual watcher may not get a lot of the lingo and references which make it a lot more enjoyable. I really hope it does well though!

mikelo

mikelo
  • Members
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Smokin
Thought it was pretty great, Doug punting that kid out of his wagon was great.

I was not surprised they had WoW involved, but it is nice to see they are basically going with the same kind of plot from the TV series and involving the characters in similar ways.

Doug's mom is kind of crazy.

I think the next episode will involve Jeremy trying to find a job and move out on his own like he did in the internet episodes, probably with the same humor involved. (Pray they wont use the same "sell my hair" joke)

Kind of disappointed they wasted the last "scene" playing that song he did in the internet series but I can understand why they did, it is pretty good.

I hope people take to it, I would be really disappointed if this got canceled, but I can see why, a lot of the material is beyond most people and you really have to play games or care about them to even want to care about this show.

Overall a great transition from the web series while maintaining the overall character scheme and story telling atmosphere, people are either going to like it or hate it, but the execution was well done.
"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." - Mitch Hedberg

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
Wow, that was actually awful.

Acting: What the hell was wrong with Jeremy and Doug in this shit? Doug was screaming his guts out so articulately, meanwhile Jeremy was talking way to fast. The only one who sounded normal was Kyle. The extra actors were awful too, but at least that one chick is kinda hot.

Story: I can understand they need to re-iterate all the stuff from the web series, but it was all shoved into 1 episode really fast. All the scenes just had less weight on them as they were poorly acted. When doug was smashing shit and yelling at his parents I just bert-stared. It wasn't good, it just seemed overly scripted and missed the target on what they wanted.

Too much gaming: The show is about games, I know. But everything was about gaming it was making me uncomfortable. I was hoping for less gaming references and just jeremy being an idiot.

I can tell you with a lot of certainty, that anyone over the age of 15 who doesnt play games often will think that was the worst 30minutes of TV they have watched.

The only good part of that episode was Jeremys joke about WW eleven.

I cringed at more than 80% of this episode.

Would give this episode a 3/10.

Power_Gamer

Power_Gamer
  • Members
  • 70 posts
I liked the episode. Really enjoyed Doug's entrance, and the definition of pwnage and what a raid is, did not enjoy the moms, however. But maybe they'll grow on me.

Intraframe

Intraframe
  • Members
  • 3,142 posts
  • xfire:mark101mmmmd
  • Interests:Games (obviously), fps, rts, and a few RPG's Also enjoy soccer, both playing and watching.
  • Steam ID:Intraframe
  • Wii:5242563695984198
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Mar 13 2010, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
snip

I guess you are entitled to your opinion - I just don't share it
Come at me bro

Jungle Comander

Jungle Comander
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Games
  • Steam ID:JungleComander
  • Xbox / GFWL:Jungle Comander
I really enjoyed it, Watched it with my GF who didn't understand 90% of the things said and she atleast thought it was okay for someone who knows little to nothing about games.

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Mar 12 2010, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can tell you with a lot of certainty, that anyone over the age of 15 who doesnt play games often will think that was the worst 30minutes of TV they have watched.

You're way off the mark here, watched it while my cousin(she's a few years older than me) was over, whose extent of gaming is Wii Bowling, and she lost it at points during the episode

QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Mar 12 2010, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would give this episode a 3/10.

You rate this show lower than Twilight? There's something wrong with you

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
+ The show retained some of its older style, while introducing newer elements to give Pure Pwnage veterans something to watch.
+ Brought back some of the elements of Jeremy's character that we all loved; World War 11 got a chuckle out of me.

- The episode was basically introducing everything that the internet show had done so far and condensed it into an episode, so the jokes weren't new and I hardly got beyond a chuckle.
- As a few people have mentioned, the micro and other elements of both Jeremy and Doug seemed a little forced as well (although the acting was a little better than in the production blogs).
- I found Jeremy's mom to be a little unrealistic in that I couldn't really find the relation between her and Jeremy or Kyle, both physically and in how she spoke about them; she seemed a little unnatural, for lack of a better word.
- As part of what Plasmic Fury mentioned, I feel that the episode's title wasn't a good reflection of what was going on in the episode; although there was a healthy number of segments not related directly to video games, they seemed
to be there to lead up to more video game segments. As this show is trying to appeal to a larger TV audience, which doesn't necessarily comprise of people who are familiar with video games, I don't think the direct focus on certain video games was the best choice. Could use a little more almost satirical display of nerd stereotypes, general ignorance about simple things, etc.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions about whether or not I like the new show until they move past this transitional stage, but I didn't find this episode to be that great.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
QUOTE (eedok @ Mar 13 2010, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're way off the mark here, watched it while my cousin(she's a few years older than me) was over, whose extent of gaming is Wii Bowling, and she lost it at points during the episode

You rate this show lower than Twilight? There's something wrong with you

Twilight i wrote a whole review for, didnt really do the same for this episode of TV so the 3/10 is not really fair, but imo I felt is what close to that range.

Either way i did not enjoy it what so ever, but thats not to say it won't get a lot better.

DooMZie

DooMZie
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • xfire:doomzie
  • Interests:Games, Counter-Strike source, Pure Pwnage, Computers, Skateboarding,Friends,Forums,Movies,Videos,Music,Weekends
  • Steam ID:new1003
  • Xbox / GFWL:Death Defender
Doug saved that episode so much. The parents were really weird and didnt feel real at all. But i felt the episode was still good with some great moments and cant wait to the next one. i do want taji and dave back icon_sad.gif
"Wow DooMZie has asian like reflexes"- A fellow CSS player

embroisured

embroisured
  • GA Private
  • 1,723 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Drunkard Zero
  • Gamer Army ID:3725
all I've heard from people is that they hope the show will still be about gaming, and not a watered down comedy about "nerds", and now that it's aired, people are saying that there are too much gaming?
now if plasmic fury's post isn't a troll post, I just don't know what is anything anymore

/taking off serious hat

F00D4TeHG0Dz

F00D4TeHG0Dz
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • xfire:aidsinfect247
  • Xbox / GFWL:aidsinfect247
QUOTE (DooMZie @ Mar 13 2010, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doug saved that episode so much. The parents were really weird and didnt feel real at all. But i felt the episode was still good with some great moments and cant wait to the next one. i do want taji and dave back icon_sad.gif

I agree the parents really threw off the believability. But nothing beats Doug kicking that kid, and running with jeremy's shirt

Or actually when he comes up from the leaves

wait no, when he's repeating everything Jeremy is saying while he is playing WOW

wait, no dammit. Everything doug Did made this episode hilarious.

extnct

extnct
  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • xfire:rxw
I wish they used the old set where Jeremy could roll out of bed and sit at his computer. I get he was living in his mom's basement but it should at least "feel" like Jeremy's space. The moms were awkward, but I thought the segment where Kyle interviews Doug's mom was hilarious.

Anth0ny

Anth0ny
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,617 posts
  • xfire:Too lazy to open X-fire every time...
  • Interests:Wii!
  • Xbox / GFWL:fps anth
  • PSN:finally got a 360!
  • Wii:8250730335940364
  • Gamer Army ID:1158
I thought it was good, not great. Seeing teh_pwnerer and the Canada flag above Boxer and all the other Korean Starcraft pros killed me.

I beat Jarett in Tetris. Once. Then he beat me four times straight. But still, I beat him once!

userpjx

userpjx

MotM June '07 | teh_watcherer

• GA Corporal
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:I develop games at home.
  • Steam ID:petejohnwilson
  • PSN:userpjx
  • Gamer Army ID:122
QUOTE (embroisured @ Mar 13 2010, 02:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all I've heard from people is that they hope the show will still be about gaming, and not a watered down comedy about "nerds", and now that it's aired, people are saying that there are too much gaming?
now if plasmic fury's post isn't a troll post, I just don't know what is anything anymore

/taking off serious hat

People that don't want to like it, won't. What do you expect?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users