Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Headphones And Amps?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

PWN3R3D

PWN3R3D
  • Members
  • 143 posts
  • Steam ID:PWN3R3D
  • Xbox / GFWL:stabwound987
  • PSN:God_Pwn3r
So im about to get set of sennheiserHD595.

I was wondering what kind of amps i should get (brand and stuff)

and also i sold my old soundcard so im stuck with onboard audio

would it be a must to get a new soundcard and an amp?

or would just an amp do the job for the best music listening experience?

Localization isnt really something that im looking for since im more a rts player(and its more for music than for gaming btw)

thanks in advance

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
Not really sure how much you're willing to spend on this, but you could kinda kill two birds with one stone by purchasing something like anEmu 0404 USB or it's little brother, the 0202. The 0404 has separate dedicated circuitry for it's headphone output and a fair bit of thought has gone into making it sound good. If I recall correctly, the 0202 has a dedicated headphone out also.

The external soundcard market is a very competitive one right now, so if you shop around a bit, you can get some amazing deals on some really good pieces of hardware.

Other brands to look out for: Focusrite, M-Audio, Tascam, Novation.

PWN3R3D

PWN3R3D
  • Members
  • 143 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Feb 20 2010, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not really sure how much you're willing to spend on this, but you could kinda kill two birds with one stone by purchasing something like anEmu 0404 USB or it's little brother, the 0202. The 0404 has separate dedicated circuitry for it's headphone output and a fair bit of thought has gone into making it sound good. If I recall correctly, the 0202 has a dedicated headphone out also.

The external soundcard market is a very competitive one right now, so if you shop around a bit, you can get some amazing deals on some really good pieces of hardware.

Other brands to look out for: Focusrite, M-Audio, Tascam, Novation.

im trying to get away from anything that is USB audio, ive had pretty bad experience with this

even though USB is a very flexible interface, its never really been designed for audio.

Even though your proposition is interesting i would like another option

thank you

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
Really, for the quality of audio you will hearing through your headphones and from the media format that you're most likely listening to, a USB interface will be more than adequate.

If you are truly dead-set on not using USB for audio, then there are Firewire alternatives, made by most of the brands that I already listed.

Edited by j type, 20 February 2010 - 03:32 AM.

PWN3R3D

PWN3R3D
  • Members
  • 143 posts
at the same time i saw and amp that weiman was using

its some kind of tube amp

what brand is it and is it worth it for the kind of headphones im going for?

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
IIRC it's the Little Dot Mk iii that Weiman uses.

I think you can pick them up for a little bit over £100, but I also think they're in pretty short supply at the moment.

If you buy that, you will still need to incorporate a D/A conversion stage, which is why I recommended the external audio interfaces as your best option, as it has the D/A conversion and headphone amp combined in the same item.

PWN3R3D

PWN3R3D
  • Members
  • 143 posts
thanks alot that was great help

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
You're welcome.

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Feb 20 2010, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really, for the quality of audio you will hearing through your headphones and from the media format that you're most likely listening to, a USB interface will be more than adequate.

If you are truly dead-set on not using USB for audio, then there are Firewire alternatives, made by most of the brands that I already listed.

Honestly I've never encountered any sort of usb audio that sounded anything close to "good" or even acceptable quality.

Edited by Sir_Slik, 20 February 2010 - 05:47 AM.

The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (Sir_Slik @ Feb 20 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly I've never encountered any sort of usb audio that sounded anything close to "good" or even acceptable quality.

Regardless of whether you have or not, the quality of audio is only as good as the weakest link in the chain, which, in the OP's case, would be either his onboard sound, the power supply to his PC (and/or amp/dac etc.), or the file format and compression that he is listening to, if he's listening to, say 128Kbps MP3. The next weakest link in the chain will probably be what he plugs his HD595s into (whether it's a cheap headphone amp, or the front panel on his PC). And next, will be his HD595s themselves.

The type of data transfer that USB offers will be the least likely to present a noticeable 'bottleneck' of quality in that audio chain.

Edited by j type, 20 February 2010 - 06:14 AM.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
What? USB has a bandwidth of 480Mbps.. Good luck finding music with a higher bandwidth then not.

USB is a digital transport. It doesn't actually do anything to music except digitally transport the files to your Digital to Analog converter, which is where the file is turned into music. In general, consumer USB audio products are highly inferior, but that's simply because the used DAC, opamps etc. are inferior to any decent setup. An Emu 0404 or 0202 is as good as any high-quality PCI(-e) soundcard.

My current setup is a Auzentech Prelude to a Little dot MK III with EF 92 driver tubes. MY KRK RP5's are hooked up to the RCA outs, and I use sennheiser HD 650's and ATH-A900's with it, occaisionally my SR60 see some time with it, but I mostly use those for watching late night anime on my netbook icon_razz.gif I'm pretty much finished throwing money at it..except for the speaker stand I got lol.

Anyway, not to turn this in a post which is typical of someone else here.. an Emu 0202 or 0404 is a very nice start for a HD 595. You might not even need a seperate amp..

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

PWN3R3D

PWN3R3D
  • Members
  • 143 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Feb 20 2010, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What? USB has a bandwidth of 480Mbps.. Good luck finding music with a higher bandwidth then not.

USB is a digital transport. It doesn't actually do anything to music except digitally transport the files to your Digital to Analog converter, which is where the file is turned into music. In general, consumer USB audio products are highly inferior, but that's simply because the used DAC, opamps etc. are inferior to any decent setup. An Emu 0404 or 0202 is as good as any high-quality PCI(-e) soundcard.

My current setup is a Auzentech Prelude to a Little dot MK III with EF 92 driver tubes. MY KRK RP5's are hooked up to the RCA outs, and I use sennheiser HD 650's and ATH-A900's with it, occaisionally my SR60 see some time with it, but I mostly use those for watching late night anime on my netbook icon_razz.gif I'm pretty much finished throwing money at it..except for the speaker stand I got lol.

Anyway, not to turn this in a post which is typical of someone else here.. an Emu 0202 or 0404 is a very nice start for a HD 595. You might not even need a seperate amp..

Since this is basicly an external soundcard

couldnt i get something of the pci-e interface that would do the same thing?

and would i get that much of a louder sound

i used to have a soundblaster xtreme gamer and i noticed a little boost in loudness

are there good soundcard around the same price of that emu 404 or 202 that would do a better job?

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Well, yeah. Just search. There are non-USB version of these.

Also, why a 'louder' sound? loudness is just a matter of turning the volume up.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

PWN3R3D

PWN3R3D
  • Members
  • 143 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Feb 21 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, yeah. Just search. There are non-USB version of these.

Also, why a 'louder' sound? loudness is just a matter of turning the volume up.

Well all i want is to sound to truly surround me like im a in a cushion made of

awesomness. Like listen to a good bass solo while acutally feeling the frets

with the bass player

sure i got the high quality version of this but u get my point ?

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (PWN3R3D @ Feb 22 2010, 04:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well all i want is to sound to truly surround me like im a in a cushion made of

awesomness. Like listen to a good bass solo while acutally feeling the frets

with the bass player

sure i got the high quality version of this but u get my point ?

Err.. yea. Only you can know if a particular model of headphones/dac is gonna make you feel that way.

Also, on the subject of loudness - your ears will probably give up before your headphones, so I really wouldn't worry about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users