Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Most Annoying Question Of My Life

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Huhn

Huhn
  • Members
  • 234 posts
  • xfire:u
  • Xbox / GFWL:t
  • PSN:f
  • Wii:s
eh..

okay, tell me why you can have an ass full of shiny effects in today's video games, but not a half way real turbo sound or effect?!
i mean in ALL games the torque is rpm related, even at a turbo charged car. but noone gets the idea that the power is boost related..

for those who want to understand a bit of the stuff i'm talking about:

a turbo is a turbine powered by the car's exhaust gases, which builds up airpressure at the car's intake system.
now the engine recieves a lot more of air, which means you can ignite also a lot more fuel in the cylinder, what causes a massive power gain.
the bad thing is, that a turbo needs engine RPM to build up pressure, because of course the intake system sucks in air all the time, the higher the RPM of the engine the more air etc. okay, now when the rpm, and the produced exhaust gases reach a certain threshold, the turbine spins fast enough to pump more air into the intake than the engine sucks in by itself, what produces the pressure called boost. when this happens, also the exhaust gases get accelerated massively, because when you pump more air into the cylinder, more air comes out of it ! this accelerates the turbine, and this process called spooling goes on for a period of time, determined by the size and mass of the turbo while more and more pressure is applied to the intake. for those of you who wanna know, this pressure is physically limited by the mass of the turbine, or is limited by a part called wastegate which leads some air either into the exhaust (close wastegate), or into the air (open wastegate), when the pressure at the intake reaches a fixed level (to prevent damaging the engine). there are different sizes of turbos. the big ones produce a huge amout of airflow and pressure, but they take a long time to spool up, and when they do, the power of the car increases up to factor 3 at a very very short time. the good thing is that these turbos produce enough airflow for big engines or high RPMs. on the other hand, the small turbos spool up very fast (at very low engine RPMs) but they produce less pressure, and less airflow, which means less power. also when you rev the engine high, because it sucks in a lot of air then, the small turbo cant keep up with it and the boost decreases, in some cases it falls below 0 bar, which almost means no turbo effect.

now, to tell you noob what this means:(big turbo case)
you sit into your car, floor it and it normally revs up till like 4000 rpm, then you hear a jet engine like sound what becomes louder and higher pitched, and in a second or two you get a giant kick into your ass, and the engine revs twice (or even more !) faster than before, and if you're in a low gear, probably your tires will spin and smoke.

in the game the problem is you've got the power instantly at each rpm with a turbo car, even when you have a boost gauge in the game.
thats simply not real ! and when we start talking about the power of some turbo cars in these games, they have an unnatural and unrealistic smooth power generation, which doesnt even let your tires spin in the first or second gear. no matter what rpm, everytime you release the throttle and hit it again, the turbo needs to spool up again, and THEN the car has power. in today's games you floor it and instantly you have the power, and the funny thing is, you also have this power before the turbo spools up.

the sound problem: you cant take the sound of a normal engine, and add the sound of a spooling turbo ! the sound of an engine changes dramatically when a turbo kicks in. noone seems to notice..?! also you start to hear a lot more of other stuff, like the airflow in the engine, the wastegate, maybe a screamer pipe, and when you release the gas you only hear the blow off valve when the turbo is spooled !!

compare this to nfs[] or GRID!
annoying.
will my prayers ever be heard by any EA f@#*%tt or someone else?!
pwning german noobs since 2001.

R.I.Pwnage T-Bag. We will never forget, and always miss you.
-in a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero- but sometimes, it's just not fair.. but then again, no one said it would be fair..

Slinky

Slinky
  • Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • Steam ID:frosticle
  • PSN:slinkytoyou
QUOTE (Huhn @ Feb 13 2010, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
okay, tell me why you can have an ass full of shiny effects in today's video games, but not a half way real turbo sound or effect?!

You've answered your own question. They are games, not simulators.

QUOTE (Huhn @ Feb 13 2010, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
will my prayers ever be heard by any EA f@#*%tt or someone else?!

Heavens no.

QUOTE (BearHugger @ Jan 10 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont respondd cause i have a life my girlfriend came over and she sucked me off

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
so let me get this straight, you're bitching about a VIDEO GAME of a RACING genre about its SOUND EFFECTS? if the problem somehow broke the game or made it boring to play then i'd understand, but a sound effect? of an engine? you could replace it with white noise and i still wouldnt care less. actually, i wouldnt hear it in the first place due to the fact that i'd probably be listening to music. just make the engine sound yourself if you really want... VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOM VVRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

and honestly, if you're THAT picky about the RPM/power/throttle or w/e, you'd probably want to just drive an actual racing car. i mean, theres nothing wrong with 'inaccuracies' as long as the game is fun, since, you know, its a GAME. i prefer backflipping my car over cars infront of me a la Crusin' the World over getting worked up by inaccurate engine sounds and 'power generation'.

Huhn

Huhn
  • Members
  • 234 posts
oh man.
why then include the option to boost your car, when it's simply not right. when we talk about the nfs series.
the reason why i'm so "picky" is, that this would make the game way more interesting..
and if you'd read my post, you'd know that the SOUND stuff is not the main problem for me, but the effect.
its a detail what is getting ignored since ever, that has nothing to do with inaccuracy!
and when you prefer to listen to music, go ahead, i simply dont.
anyway, i see i'm tryin to eat concrete here.

you simply CANT go WOT in a corner with a turbo car, but in all the games you can! now when you still think i'm too picky, i can imagine you like games like need for speed undercover, because it's nicely unrealistic, and noone cares about what's even nearly possible or not.

OMGOMG PLZ DO A 720 AT 250 MPH !

why why why is the n word up in my mind, itching me all the time..
no no, i wont write it..

-in a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero- but sometimes, it's just not fair.. but then again, no one said it would be fair..

Intraframe

Intraframe
  • Members
  • 3,142 posts
  • xfire:mark101mmmmd
  • Interests:Games (obviously), fps, rts, and a few RPG's Also enjoy soccer, both playing and watching.
  • Steam ID:Intraframe
  • Wii:5242563695984198
who cares. racing game suck anyways.
Come at me bro

Whiskerz

Whiskerz
  • Members
  • 2,870 posts
  • xfire:Whiskerz
  • Interests:Games, Basketball, Lifting.
  • Steam ID:Whiskerz777
  • PSN:Whiskerz
QUOTE (Intraframe @ Feb 14 2010, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
who cares. racing game suck anyways.

Nice contribution.

I agree that what you are saying would make it better, if only slightly. Nothing to get too annoyed about IMO.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
If you're going to be picky, wouldn't the first thing you attack be the unrealistic handling of the cars, not the sound? Play Gran Turismo and then Need for Speed and see what I'm talking about.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
  • xfire:cky852k
  • Steam ID:cky852k
  • Xbox / GFWL:jojo852k
  • PSN:jojo852k
  • Gamer Army ID:153
  • Company:Gamma
go play iracing or live for speed..

and stop bitching about racing games

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
I remember playing Black on the PS2 and every gun sounded like a cannon going off. I was all like "guns don't really sound like that" and it completely ruined the game for me, I never played it again and hate it now

Huhn

Huhn
  • Members
  • 234 posts
i dont know, please excuse me for this...

WHAT THE FUCK, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE SOUND, I AM TALKING ABOUT THE EFFECT MAINLY.

this isnt to anyone specific, but why dont you guys READ before you WRITE ?

okay, of course i dislike the handling of the nfs series, what *could* be the reason why i mentioned it in my last post, eh?
i was bitching about it a lot, but i did mostly in german forums ! and i still cant believe that EA is serious with undercover, pro street and shift.
good handling imo @ GTR2, GTR evolution and partially in GRID

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_

Solideath

Solideath
  • Members
  • 905 posts
  • xfire:xsolideathx
  • Xbox / GFWL:xsolideathx
  • PSN:xsolideathx
  • Wii:8631256620113728
i get what your saying idk why everyones acting dumb... the first line in ur OP was "all the shiny graphics blahblah" and pretty much why cant they do the same amount of work with the effects of the sound.

reasonable question. Idk if anyone here can answer it though.

Whose the noob??

farley83

farley83
  • Members
  • 3 posts
i agree, it'd be nice if lag and sound was portrayed more accurately - the supra you posted is a great example. i'm sure it's done as is because most people have no idea what a turbo actually does or how it works. how many games do you see where nitrous increases your car's top speed regardless of if you're already at redline in the highest gear?

also, considering you're racing you should basically always be in the rev range where the turbo will spool to peak boost almost immediately as soon as you give it full throttle. that is unless you suck at shifting gears and keeping the engine in the powerband, but clearly if you're that guy you're not posting about this topic. there's obviously going to be a small delay to peak boost but how many people are really going to care enough to make it worth the expense to program it?

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (farley83 @ Feb 15 2010, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i agree, it'd be nice if lag and sound was portrayed more accurately - the supra you posted is a great example. i'm sure it's done as is because most people have no idea what a turbo actually does or how it works. how many games do you see where nitrous increases your car's top speed regardless of if you're already at redline in the highest gear?

I lol'd 'cause it's sad and true. ):

Anyone else avoid nitrous in video games because bottles are for baby's?

raw_genesis

raw_genesis

The Flaming Homo of the year '09

• Members
  • 3,655 posts
  • xfire:rawgenesis
  • Interests:the ladies ;D
  • Steam ID:raw_genesis
  • Xbox / GFWL:ex bawks
  • PSN:pee ess tripple
  • Wii:Weeeeeeee!!!
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
If I want to have fun I play my fun racing games like the NFS and Dirt and Grid games...

If I want to play a simulator style game I do the following:
QUOTE (j-tak @ Feb 14 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
go play iracing or live for speed..

Also other than the lack of turbo/supercharger effects, Shift is a pretty simulatorish game (if you don't play like a bitch with all the assists on)

QUOTE (Shaun. @ Apr 28 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AAAAA+++++++++++++++ GREAT SERVICE AND GOOD PACKAGE. WOULD BANG AGAIN

CaptainBaconMan

CaptainBaconMan
  • GA Private
  • 558 posts
  • xfire:nintendohead2003
  • Interests:Mountain Boarding, Drawing, Swimming, Hiking, Gaming, Amateur Computer Construction, Particle Physics, Chemistry, Theoretical Physics, Ultimate, Airsoft, Percussion, Professional Rescue, White Water Rafting and Kayaking, Graphic Design, Software, and Music (I'll listen to pretty much anything).
  • Steam ID:CaptainBaconMan
  • PSN:Captain-BaconMan
  • Wii:7212264688885515
  • Gamer Army ID:4445
  • Company:India
Because we are a visual based species, sound is a secondary sense

QUOTE (Dylantendo @ Feb 25 2010, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What?! An unrealistic video game?? That's absurd!

Huhn

Huhn
  • Members
  • 234 posts
i dont believe this right now.
you guys MUST be kidding me, didnt i write that it is the not existing effect, and NOT THE SOUND what annoys me?

did i?
i give up, seriously.
i guess thats just the wrong place to start such a discussion.

free to close/lock/whatever.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
QUOTE (Huhn @ Feb 13 2010, 02:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hurrrr, its the first thing you said.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

Huhn

Huhn
  • Members
  • 234 posts
QUOTE (Garamiah @ Feb 19 2010, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hurrrr, its the first thing you said.

wow, what a nice answer.
is there a chance that someone in this forum is pro enough to not just read the first sentence?
i mean is this what everyone's doing and in common the reason for my headaches during reading all those answers?

seriously !!

___

@farley83
i dont think its a huge thing to deal with, and believe me, when a big punch hits you in a corner it definately makes a big difference everyone will notice. you would just "feel" more like driving a turbo car, and you also could use this punch for drifting etc.,
its also easy for me to imagine a basically arcade styled racing game which contains such an effect, would also make for example drag racing in games more interesting..blah blah..

Edited by Huhn, 25 February 2010 - 08:10 PM.

Dylantendo

Dylantendo
  • Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dylantendo
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
What?! An unrealistic video game?? That's absurd!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users