Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Recomend Me A Headset.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

LeetJohn

LeetJohn
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Leet John
My headset just now broke (playing out one ear, mic sounds horrible) and I am in the market for a new one. There are a buttload of headsets out there, and I am trying to choose one.

I would like it to meet theses specifications:

-Under $100
-Wired
-Comfortable
-Has folding mic

I was just wondering what you guys use for a headset, or what you would recommend.
Ok liek even the biggest n00b can tell RL from a video game, these are liek dx 5000 graphics.
Want to see Pure Pwnage Tv? PM me.

TheNOOBIFIER

TheNOOBIFIER

SQUAD ONE - Squad Lead

• GA Private
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:www.mp5t.com
  • Steam ID:TheNoobifier
  • Gamer Army ID:3677
There will be a ton of H8T3, but the Zalman 5.1 is what Myself and 5 Of the people I play FPS with and we accept no substitute. 6 Speakers!

You can actually hear exactly where people are.

make sure to balance the Volume for the Front and Rears.

Edited by TheNOOBIFIER, 08 February 2010 - 09:46 PM.

www.mp5t.com
SIGNATURE-1.jpg
TheNOOBIFIER1337.png

LeetJohn

LeetJohn
  • Members
  • 171 posts
QUOTE (TheNOOBIFIER @ Feb 8 2010, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There will be a ton of H8T3, but the Zalman 5.1 is what Myself and 5 Of the people I play FPS with and we accept no substitute. 6 Speakers!

Sounds kinda too complicated, anything more practical?
Ok liek even the biggest n00b can tell RL from a video game, these are liek dx 5000 graphics.

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
For the specs given I would buy a Fatal1ty headset. Although generally majority of people here who either:

a) Know something about sound
or
B) Frequent HW&S

Will probably recommend you get proper Stereo headphones which means buying a clip on mic as opposed to a folding/retractable one. I'd probably recommend some ATH-A500's with a Zalman clip on mic, if you buy them both from Amazon it'll cost you about $20 over your budget.

Rav4ge

Rav4ge
  • GA Private
  • 155 posts
  • Steam ID:qudder
  • Gamer Army ID:4537
I use the Razer Piranha and I like it. Pretty good sound quality, it's affordable, good looking and the mic folds.

http://store.razerzo...goryId.35096300

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
Surround sound headphones don't work. The reason 5.1 surround sound works is because it's spatial rather than right next to your ear. With headphones, it's better to just get a set of Dolby Headphone enabled headphones. They convert the 5.1 or whatever signal to a stereo surround signal that will work better more times than not.

http://www.dolby.com...HandDVSdemo.swf
http://www.dolby.com...-headphone.html

that explains it pretty well... The demos are pretty sweet..
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (TheNOOBIFIER @ Feb 9 2010, 03:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[img]http://images.techtr...n-ZM-RS6F-1.jpg[/im g]

Not trying to demean you and your friends or anything. But sound-quality wise, those are 100% the worst headphones I have ever reviewed, used, and tried. The sound quality is just so ridiculously bad.. sure the multiple speakers work, but it's not anything close to a real surround setup, let alone the experience.

Personally, I prefer a high quality pair of headphones with a separate mic. I use a desktop mic from dealextreme which works awesomely, but clip-on mics work great too most of the time. Another very important thing is comfort, for me that means the headphones have be resting on your head and not on your ears (aka circumaural).

A great example would be the ATH-A500: http://www.geekstuff...a-ath-a500.html It's $6 over budget, but I reckon it's worth it. Good headphones will last you a long time, assuming you don't toss them around the room, as opposed to el cheapo headsets..

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (Weiman @ Feb 9 2010, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally, I prefer a high quality pair of headphones with a separate mic. I use a desktop mic

Same here. I value the sound quality very highly, so would never purchase a 'gaming headset'. Also, you can upgrade/replace both items separately, which is particularly useful if you put your gear through a lot of stress.

TheNOOBIFIER

TheNOOBIFIER

SQUAD ONE - Squad Lead

• GA Private
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:www.mp5t.com
  • Steam ID:TheNoobifier
  • Gamer Army ID:3677
I agree as well. They Suck..

I also agree, that they do not produce proper 3d Sound like a home theater system.

Having said that, I will not change them because they are the best gaming Headset I have ever used.

It's hard to explain, but your brain can hear the differences between the sound from the Front and Read speakers. You get "Trained" to tell the difference in game between someone walking behind or in front of you. I can literally, hear a person coming down a corridor in MW2, and start shooting in a doorway just before he walks by the door.

Not accurate like RL.. Reproduce the situation with an actual person walking down a similar hall and the sound would manifest differently, Accurately...

Gaming Headphones should not only be all about sound quality. The end result should be effectiveness, these are 100% effective in FPS. A distinct advantage IMO.

www.mp5t.com
SIGNATURE-1.jpg
TheNOOBIFIER1337.png

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (TheNOOBIFIER @ Feb 9 2010, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's hard to explain, but your brain can hear the differences between the sound from the Front and Read speakers. You get "Trained" to tell the difference in game between someone walking behind or in front of you. I can literally, hear a person coming down a corridor in MW2, and start shooting in a doorway just before he walks by the door.

Not accurate like RL.. Reproduce the situation with an actual person walking down a similar hall and the sound would manifest differently, Accurately...

Of course you can. Your ears can locate sources from any direction, so placing drivers even centimetres apart in the cans of a pair of headphones will obviously make a difference. But that's not the main issue. I'd rather have 2 high-quality drivers giving me accurate stereo-imaging, than 4-6 terrible quality ones giving me slightly 'more', but ultimately muddy, info.

Also, if you're playing an FPS (the main genre where surround sound headsets are useful, as far as I'm aware), as long as you know the map well and have decent game-sense, there should be no mystery as to whether an enemy is in front or behind you. If you're unsure, all you have to do is move your cross-hairs from side-to-side (which you should be doing in most games anyway) and that will give you accurate 'surround sound' info.

edit- actually, let me expand on that a little bit and make it a bit clearer. Humans (generally) only have 2 ears, which can hear in full surround sound. We don't need 5.1 or 7.1 ears to hear from every direction do we? Why is that? Well, partly it's because of the way the outer ear can send resonances and reverberations into the inner ear, but also, it's because our heads are constantly moving, even if it's just a tiny fraction of a millimetre. Imagine you are in a game and there is someone standing behind you. In your stereo headset you hear the sound slightly to your left. For some reason, you don't know whether they are in front of you or behind you, so, you turn your head a tiny fraction to your left and the sound in your left ear gets louder, this tells us that the person is behind us, because, by turning left slightly, we have moved closer to the source of the sound. If your ears are working as they should, they will be making those calculations constantly, every second of the game.

Surround-sound gaming headsets are a complete gimmick. I specify 'gaming' headsets because outside of gaming, eg. in the cinema, surround sound can actually be effective as you, the source, are stationary.

Edited by j type, 09 February 2010 - 12:05 PM.

LeetJohn

LeetJohn
  • Members
  • 171 posts
Thank you guys for all of your help, but do you think this headset would meet my specifications?

Edited by LeetJohn, 09 February 2010 - 11:56 AM.

PTrain

PTrain
  • Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • Steam ID:ptrain
  • Xbox / GFWL:aaahhXBOXlive
QUOTE (LeetJohn @ Feb 9 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you guys for all of your help, but do you think this headset would meet my specifications?

I would go with either the Audio Technica headphones that Weiman suggested or the Fatal1ty headphones that Tree suggested.

I use the Fatal1ty headset and it's pretty good. The mic works well, it sounds ok, and it's comfortable enough to wear for several hours. Also its $30 cheaper then the razer headphones you linked.

Magz0r

Magz0r
  • Members
  • 432 posts
  • xfire:tehmagz0r
  • Steam ID:teh_magz0r
  • PSN:Magz0r
  • Rofl-Rupees:4
I use a Bose headset for listening to music and everything besides gaming becaouse of the sound quality. Since I don't have a desktop mic i use a pair of Steelseries 5H v2 and I'm really satisfied with them they are great and comfy and got a good mic, plus the sound isn't bad either.

Rav4ge

Rav4ge
  • GA Private
  • 155 posts
  • Steam ID:qudder
  • Gamer Army ID:4537
QUOTE (PTrain @ Feb 9 2010, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would go with either the Audio Technica headphones that Weiman suggested or the Fatal1ty headphones that Tree suggested.

I use the Fatal1ty headset and it's pretty good. The mic works well, it sounds ok, and it's comfortable enough to wear for several hours. Also its $30 cheaper then the razer headphones you linked.
The Fatal1ty one doesn't have a foldable mic. Other than that though I've heard good things about it.

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
QUOTE (LeetJohn @ Feb 10 2010, 03:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At this point it seems like there's no convincing you that you should get stereo headphones, so i'll just leave it at this: Whatever you do, dont get a Razer headset.

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • xfire:360shunted
  • Steam ID:shunted
  • Xbox / GFWL:shunted
  • PSN:shunted
QUOTE (Rav4ge @ Feb 10 2010, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Fatal1ty one doesn't have a foldable mic. Other than that though I've heard good things about it.

no the mic comes out with a minijack

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (Rav4ge @ Feb 10 2010, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it does, very flexible.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (j type @ Feb 9 2010, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surround-sound gaming headsets are a complete gimmick. I specify 'gaming' headsets because outside of gaming, eg. in the cinema, surround sound can actually be effective as you, the source, are stationary.

it's not because you are stationary, it's because the speakers aren't right next to you and the speakers are stationary.

With a speaker right next to your ear, it makes no sense to have so many speakers. Dolby headphone with a decent pair of headphones will have better quality in almost all situations than a pair of similarly priced 5.1 headphones. Think about it logically, the speaker and build quality will be a lot better just because they don't have to waste money on 4 extra speakers and the hardware necessary to run them.

Another great thing about Dolby Headphone is that if you have a receiver that will send it out, you can use it with any pair of headphones you have.

Anybody looked into the SVS system from Smyth? You put mics in your ears to calibrate them to perfectly mimic the audio traits of a given room, and it tracks your head so you get the surround affect even if you turn your head. Sweet Shit.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
When it comes to sound localization games mimic interaural timing differences to produce the auditory positioning effect.
For the azimuth plane (horizontal to the ground) the cues our brain use are the interaural timing differences.
The shape of our ears (pinnae more specifically) allow us to localize sound in the vertical plane.

The reason 5.1 speakers work is because the sounds are coming from a distance and your brain perceives the relative interaural timing differences and the result is accurate sound localization.

When it comes to "surround sound gaming headsets" the speakers are so close together that the effect is diminished, the speakers are so close together that the sounds might as well be coming from only 2 speakers (one for each ear).

The reason they still produce sound localization is because your brain is still using the cues, but the multiple speakers are not contributing to the effect.

So its not the argument of "Increasing number of speakers decreases quality of each respective speaker, therefore, decreasing overall quality of the headset"
But the argument is "the speakers are so close together that the effect of multiple speakers is practically and virtually non-existent".

The second argument, in addition to the factual statement of the first argument results in a headset with the same sound localizing capabilities, but with less quality/$ of a good stereo headset.

LeetJohn

LeetJohn
  • Members
  • 171 posts
After what you guys have said, I have decided to get this one:

http://www.newegg.co...8-082-_-Product

Only question I have is this: Does it have volume adjustment attached to it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users