Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nhl's 3 Point Overtime System

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

tehRaptors

tehRaptors
  • Members
  • 300 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Mx3x
  • PSN:tehRaptors
QUOTE (cadetduke @ Feb 3 2010, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sticking to what I said earlier. Keep it simple, drop the OT column. 2-Point system, no overtime losses, winner takes all. 3-point system complicates everything.

Dropping the OT column would work if it wasn't a points system. a 2 point OT system would leave no excitement at the end of the season. If you follow hockey at all, you know how exciting this time of year is. teams are separated by 1-3 points for the last few playoff spots.

QUOTE (Original Sin @ Feb 3 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The argument against that, is that some teams will purposely sign a couple of players that are experts in the shootout and nothing more. They'll always try and play for the tie, and it makes for very boring hockey.

I myself am not a huge Leaf fan, but it does suck knowing that they're already out of the playoffs with over a quarter left to play. If there was a 3 point regulation win system put into place, they might have a better shot at a comeback, making it more interesting for those bottom barrel teams to catch up. Though the gap may be even larger if there were 3 points for each game.... when I get the time, I may do an updating standings. It'll so take forever though icon_sad.gif

Nobody plays for the tie in any sports. How is a team who's down 1 with little time remaining then tying it with 3 seconds left in the game not exciting? the 3 point win system your talking about would hurt the bottom teams more because the good teams would get even more points, and be even further ahead of the bottom teams.
Your argument is very weak. I have doubts on whether you watch hockey at all.

QUOTE (Original Sin @ Mar 6 2010, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the record, they use the 3 point system in the Olympics already, as well as no touch icing. 2 rules that I feel should be adopted by the NHL.

No touch icing is actually the worst thing ever. Guys don't try and dump the puck for icing, because they are not allowed to get off the ice when their teams ices it. 2 guys racing down for the puck is really exciting and it usually leads to a scoring chance if the team who dumped it in gets to the puck first.

Original Sin

Original Sin
  • GA Private
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Gaming, Swimming
  • Xbox / GFWL:Original Sin33
  • PSN:Maybe Someday
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
  • Gamer Army ID:180
QUOTE (tehRaptors @ Apr 4 2010, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nobody plays for the tie in any sports. How is a team who's down 1 with little time remaining then tying it with 3 seconds left in the game not exciting?

What the fuck are you on about here. No where in my post in did I say a team that's down by one isn't trying to tie it up. But if a game IS tied late in the third, I've seen teams sit back and play defensively for the 4 on 4 overtime, just so they can be guaranteed that one point. They won't go for the win in regulation, and it can make the last 10 minutes extremely boring. Especially when it's East vs West.

the 3 point win system your talking about would hurt the bottom teams more because the good teams would get even more points, and be even further ahead of the bottom teams.

Have you done the math on this yet? Until you do, don't say your post is fact.

Your argument is very weak.

My argument is weak, because? Again, you've done 0 math with this yet. Go through each game and give a regulation win 3 points for each team, then see how the standings are. Even then, the argument still isn't weak because it's impossible to know how differently teams would play if they received 3 points in regulation, instead of just 2.

I have doubts on whether you watch hockey at all.

Funny, I didn't realize your name was tehLeafs.

No touch icing is actually the worst thing ever. Guys don't try and dump the puck for icing, because they are not allowed to get off the ice when their teams ices it.

They wouldn't be allowed to change with No Touch icing either, and would in fact get less rest because the whistle would come sooner and the play would start up faster because a d-man wouldn't need to skate back to the bench. You just countered your own point with your own post.

2 guys racing down for the puck is really exciting and it usually leads to a scoring chance if the team who dumped it in gets to the puck first.

For how often this happens in a game, which isn't even every game, it's not worth the injuries that occur. I think I'll trust Don Cherry's views on No Touch Icing more than I'll trust a guys named "tehRaptors".

monsoonlol.png

"Don't be ashamed. It's only nature running its course."

tehRaptors

tehRaptors
  • Members
  • 300 posts
QUOTE (Original Sin @ Apr 4 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What the fuck are you on about here. No where in my post in did I say a team that's down by one isn't trying to tie it up. But if a game IS tied late in the third, I've seen teams sit back and play defensively for the 4 on 4 overtime, just so they can be guaranteed that one point. They won't go for the win in regulation, and it can make the last 10 minutes extremely boring. Especially when it's East vs West.

Have you done the math on this yet? Until you do, don't say your post is fact.

My argument is weak, because? Again, you've done 0 math with this yet. Go through each game and give a regulation win 3 points for each team, then see how the standings are. Even then, the argument still isn't weak because it's impossible to know how differently teams would play if they received 3 points in regulation, instead of just 2.

Funny, I didn't realize your name was tehLeafs.

They wouldn't be allowed to change with No Touch icing either, and would in fact get less rest because the whistle would come sooner and the play would start up faster because a d-man wouldn't need to skate back to the bench. You just countered your own point with your own post.

For how often this happens in a game, which isn't even every game, it's not worth the injuries that occur. I think I'll trust Don Cherry's views on No Touch Icing more than I'll trust a guys named "tehRaptors".

Hmmm, my screen name is in reference to a BASKETBALL team, not the shitty maple leafs. Get your sports teams right buddy. The teams who are ahead by one int he last 10 mins of the game are trying to WIN. they are trying to play good defensively, and not make any mistakes by taking unnecessary chances on offense. They do not want the other team to get odd man rushes. There in lies your fault, you believe a media guy like Don Cherry influence your views. you are not a true hockey fan and therefore shouldn't be allowed to post on topics about hockey related material.

Original Sin

Original Sin
  • GA Private
  • 2,155 posts
QUOTE (tehRaptors @ Apr 4 2010, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, my screen name is in reference to a BASKETBALL team, not the shitty maple leafs. Get your sports teams right buddy. The teams who are ahead by one int he last 10 mins of the game are trying to WIN. they are trying to play good defensively, and not make any mistakes by taking unnecessary chances on offense. They do not want the other team to get odd man rushes. There in lies your fault, you believe a media guy like Don Cherry influence your views. you are not a true hockey fan and therefore shouldn't be allowed to post on topics about hockey related material.

Whew. Thank you for posting this. I was actually going to take you seriously, but then you proved with that post how much of a troller you are.

Thanks again.

Oh, I did a quick tally of 4 teams from the West using a 3 point regulation win system. Calgary would actually be ahead of Colorado right now. So yeah, it'd make a difference.

Edited by Original Sin, 04 April 2010 - 11:08 PM.

monsoonlol.png

tehRaptors

tehRaptors
  • Members
  • 300 posts
QUOTE (Original Sin @ Apr 4 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whew. Thank you for posting this. I was actually going to take you seriously, but then you proved with that post how much of a troller you are.

Thanks again.

Oh, I did a quick tally of 4 teams from the West using a 3 point regulation win system. Calgary would actually be ahead of Colorado right now. So yeah, it'd make a difference.

LoL you caught me.. it was a good run....
quick question... Do you believe in the sophomore slump in hockey?
Cause it seems to me that half the rookies suck in the next year following their rookie season.. but some do well..(stamkos)

Original Sin

Original Sin
  • GA Private
  • 2,155 posts
QUOTE (tehRaptors @ Apr 5 2010, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LoL you caught me.. it was a good run....
quick question... Do you believe in the sophomore slump in hockey?
Cause it seems to me that half the rookies suck in the next year following their rookie season.. but some do well..(stamkos)

It seems to effect people differently. With players like Stamkos, I think he always had the talent to put up the same numbers, but there was so much pressure on him to do so well in his first year, that he didn't really know how to handle it. As the year went on however, he learned to just relax, let his instincts take over and play the game like he knows how. Thankfully for him he was able to carry that into this season and has been putting up very impressive numbers on a team that hasn't been all that impressive.

Of course, having guys like St.Louis and Malone/Downie on a line with you can't hurt either.

I think with Tavares, he'll have a decent season next year; at least 80 points. It may take him a few more years to hit the 100 point plateau, simply because on the Isle, he currently has nobody to play with.

monsoonlol.png

tehRaptors

tehRaptors
  • Members
  • 300 posts
QUOTE (Original Sin @ Apr 5 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems to effect people differently. With players like Stamkos, I think he always had the talent to put up the same numbers, but there was so much pressure on him to do so well in his first year, that he didn't really know how to handle it. As the year went on however, he learned to just relax, let his instincts take over and play the game like he knows how. Thankfully for him he was able to carry that into this season and has been putting up very impressive numbers on a team that hasn't been all that impressive.

Of course, having guys like St.Louis and Malone/Downie on a line with you can't hurt either.

I think with Tavares, he'll have a decent season next year; at least 80 points. It may take him a few more years to hit the 100 point plateau, simply because on the Isle, he currently has nobody to play with.

yea the isles are pretty bad.. but they do have some young talent still developing.. like okposo and bailey

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Now, ya'll see what the 3 point system would do? We wouldn't have epic matchups like Rangers/Philly. Rangers need to win their next 2 games against Philly in regulation to make it into the playoffs. How epic is that?

tehRaptors

tehRaptors
  • Members
  • 300 posts
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Apr 8 2010, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, ya'll see what the 3 point system would do? We wouldn't have epic matchups like Rangers/Philly. Rangers need to win their next 2 games against Philly in regulation to make it into the playoffs. How epic is that?

the current points system is perfect. i mean, it's always this crazy at the end of the season! it's basically playoff hockey!

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (tehRaptors @ Apr 8 2010, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the current points system is perfect. i mean, it's always this crazy at the end of the season! it's basically playoff hockey!

I wouldn't change it now for anything. It's always so tense. I mean, drop a few games with 15 games left in the year and you could go from 4th place to 9th. Fucking epic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users