Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[movie]sherlock Holmes

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Joby

Joby

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Retired Staff
  • 6,538 posts
  • xfire:joby67
  • Interests:Well a young man<br />He ain't got nothin' in the world these days<br />I said a young man<br />Ain't got nothin' in the world these days
  • Steam ID:purepwnagejoby
  • Wii:0958641680091840
Holy shit this movie kicks ass:

Director: Guy Ritchie
Release Date: Dec 25, 2009
Genre: Kick ass

Capital letters make me feel like I'm shouting. Let me start this review by saying that I am not an avid Sherlock Holmes fan. I have not read any of the books written by Conan, so I didn't have much to work with. I was entering the movie theater blindly, I only knew that Holmes wore a silly hat and correctly deduced how long ago you've had sex just by smelling you. Coming out of the movies however, I found myself examining random strangers to see what I can deduce just by looking at them. I've never seen a Guy Ritchie movie before, and with my unfamiliarity with the franchise, I didn't know what to expect, but the movie left a lasting impression on me.

Unfortunately, Holmes does not say "Elementary, my dear Watson"

You're immediately thrown into the action with a mysterious man in black in pursuit of... something. Now here comes the first scene of badass, when Holmes carefully calculates how to take out a guard. I've never seen anything like it, it all plays out in slow motion in his head, and you're just sitting there going "Holy shit !". Back in real time, all his moves are correctly implemented, and he takes out the guy in no time. Holmes and his faithful companion Jude Law manage to stop Lord Blackwood from fulfilling a ritual that involved sacrificing a girl to the greater good. The rest of the movie involves Holmes trying to solve the case of Blackwood's mysterious appearance, with a little help from Mr. Law and the only woman who has ever outsmarted Holmes, Irene Adler.

Chris Martin told Robert Downey Jr. that Sherlock Holmes should look "gaunt" and "skinny". Of course, in today's world, that means get fucking ripped.

Personally speaking, I thought Jude Law fit perfectly into his character, the loveable sidekick with the smoking hot fiancee. Robert Downy Jr. did do a very good job portraying Sherlock Holmes, even with that fabulous hair. His accent is a bit flawed, however, and there are some points where he just rambles on and on and you can only manage to pick up only a few lines. Aside from that, however, the movie delivers, watching a badass such as Holmes correctly decipher everything near the end is a lot of fun to watch. The man fucking knew what happened at a destroyed grave site just by tasting the leftover rubble. Holy shit !

As stated before, I'm not an avid fan of the franchise. I've heard that the movie is not loyal to the books in some form or another. I can't correctly say in which aspect, but I guess I can say that this is a more modern take on Sherlock, with bits and pieces added to suit today's audience.

Closing Comments

This is the type of movie that you're let out in the dark on purpose, only to have the main character correctly fill in the gaps to sort of let you in. It is a more modern take on the franchise, so explosions and fight scenes scattered throughout the plot. It's not a movie that is nail biting, edge of your seat action, but instead, it's like a very delicate woman, who flirts and teases with you, making you want more and you dwell deeper into her the world of Sherlock Holmes.

365.4/10 - Holy shit !
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Oct 30 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
brb not picking up any woman

A completely unbiased review...

Mighty_Chives

Mighty_Chives
  • Members
  • 1,562 posts
  • Steam ID:Superstar Chives
Is it, like, Iron man 3 set in the renaissance or sumthin?

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
Why you saying robert downy in ripped in that pic when he doesnt look ripped at all?

It's ME!

It's ME!
  • GA Private
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Chewing bubble gum and kicking ass... and I'm all outta gum!
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:3318
  • Company:Alpha
to my disappointment, i got what i expected from this movie: an action-packed sherlock holmes. Why was i expecting this? because i watched the trailer.
I was hoping, nevertheless, for my expectations to be surpassed by watching an action-packed Sherlock Holmes movie with more twists and turns and witty-ness.
...now that i stated my opinion, i shall go read the review Joby wrote.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
QUOTE (It's ME! @ Jan 17 2010, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to my disappointment, i got what i expected from this movie: an action-packed sherlock holmes. Why was i expecting this? because i watched the trailer.
I was hoping, nevertheless, for my expectations to be surpassed by watching an action-packed Sherlock Holmes movie with more twists and turns and witty-ness.
...now that i stated my opinion, i shall go read the review Joby wrote.

Just so you're aware, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote the character of Holmes to be a man of action, well versed in martial arts and not afraid to fight his way out of (and in to) any situation.

In that, at least, the film was faithful to the books.

It's ME!

It's ME!
  • GA Private
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Chewing bubble gum and kicking ass... and I'm all outta gum!
  • Gamer Army ID:3318
  • Company:Alpha
QUOTE (j type @ Jan 16 2010, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just so you're aware, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote the character of Holmes to be a man of action, well versed in martial arts and not afraid to fight his way out of (and in to) any situation.

In that, at least, the film was faithful to the books.

Doyle also made Sherlock to be a drug user and Doyle most definitely tried to kill him off.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (It's ME! @ Jan 17 2010, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doyle also made Sherlock to be a drug user and Doyle most definitely tried to kill him off.

Yep, that too.

darkhen

darkhen
  • Members
  • 1,057 posts
  • xfire:darkhen
  • Interests:Bang Bang Bang<br /><br />Banging people<br />
Didnt have much to do with Sherlock Holmes. It was very Johnathon Creeky. It would have been better if they left us in the dark - to think for ourselves. Instead of being like WELL ILL TELL YOU HOW I KNEW! HE JUST HAD LOTS OF LIKE SKILLS WITH SPECIAL EFFECTS!

]

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (darkhen @ Jan 19 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didnt have much to do with Sherlock Holmes. It was very Johnathon Creeky. It would have been better if they left us in the dark - to think for ourselves. Instead of being like WELL ILL TELL YOU HOW I KNEW! HE JUST HAD LOTS OF LIKE SKILLS WITH SPECIAL EFFECTS!

Lol! Well that is the trademark of the Murder Mystery. Every author from Agatha Christie or Arthur Conan Doyle, to P.D.James or Dick Francis has used that same 'reveal' technique in their works.

I would say that it was fairly easy to figure out what each method for each murder was though, even more-so than usual. However, I don't think that was to the detriment of the film.

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

JESUS CHRIST I AM SO FUCKING DRUNK!

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:150
  • Company:Nu
He took drugs in the movie, you would know this if you were a knowledgeable fellow regarding Victorian doctorage.
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

richmeister

richmeister
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts
  • xfire:richmeister6666
QUOTE (Joby @ Dec 30 2009, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there are some points where he just rambles on and on and you can only manage to pick up only a few lines.

*sigh* it pisses me off no end when you yanks go on about "LOL UR ACCENT IZ TOO FAST TE UNDERSTAND LOLZ", we have to put up with everything hollywood pumps out and having to understand the redneck accent, so thats the least you can do.

Apart from that i agree with your review tbh, its not amazing, definatley watchable and something I didnt mind spending a couple of hours watching. 6/10 for me.

Other Guy Ritchie films aren't as similair, the dialogue's better, but the story is usually pretty see through, but in this the writing's very clever. My favourite part was definatley when he was working out how to take out his opponents, working out the physical recovery time and psychological recovery time of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users