Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Graphic Card

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Funkt

Funkt
  • Members
  • 13 posts
I'm building a desktop PC, and I'm trying to find a good performance card with moderate price. I've been looking at the Radeon 5770, but compared to the 4870, it's really not much difference for triple the price. Except for it's DX11 capabilities, there's very little difference. Idk if anyone has any experience using either of these cards that can tell me how well they work for you? I'm planning on using my PC for gaming, any suggestions would be appreciated.
01001100 01101001 01100011 01101011 00100000 01001101 01100001 01101000 00100000 01000010 01100001 01101100 01101100 01110011 00101110

ACG137

ACG137
  • GA Private
  • 1,402 posts
  • xfire:acg137
  • Interests:Pwning Philippine noobs<br />Airsoft
  • Steam ID:acg137
  • Xbox / GFWL:ACG137
  • PSN:alv_atgo
  • Gamer Army ID:2874
  • Company:Phi
I'd rather get the 5770 just to be on the safe side, but then you could save up for the 5870. icon_smile.gif I had experience with the 4870 and the 5870 and after some comparison, you'll see some difference - it may not be big, but it is noticeable which would mean a lot for the later games.

Biohazard.

Biohazard.
  • Members
  • 1,819 posts
  • xfire:b1ohaz4rd
  • Interests:Music, Bass, Gaming, Girls, Audio Engineering.
  • Steam ID:2xdead
Triple the price for a 5770 WTF. Over here you'd be lucky to pay 30 bucks more than a 4870 for a 5770 in most stores. I think you might be confused with the 5870 or 5850 both out perform the 4870.
R.I.P Ronnie James Dio | R.I.P Paul Gray

Cobalt.

Cobalt.
  • GA Sergeant
  • 803 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1266
  • Company:Golf
I think you're going a bit overkill anyway. What games you plan on playing? Crysis? I understand the want to have massive amounts of video power. I do. It's really not necessary though.

Right now, I run a GeForce GTS 250 with dual 22" monitors and I've never once had a problem running CnC3 on max settings, even with hundreds of units on the screen. TF2, CS:S, WoW, and HL2 all run smoothly on max settings with that cheap little card. Just something to consider.

Pandaemon

Pandaemon
  • Members
  • 125 posts
QUOTE (Cobalt. @ Dec 27 2009, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you're going a bit overkill anyway. What games you plan on playing? Crysis? I understand the want to have massive amounts of video power. I do. It's really not necessary though.

Right now, I run a GeForce GTS 250 with dual 22" monitors and I've never once had a problem running CnC3 on max settings, even with hundreds of units on the screen. TF2, CS:S, WoW, and HL2 all run smoothly on max settings with that cheap little card. Just something to consider.

So the gts 250 is pretty much good for older games? /sarcasm

Cobalt.

Cobalt.
  • GA Sergeant
  • 803 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1266
  • Company:Golf
Might also be called pretty common games that aren't designed for the sole purpose of showing off your e-peen by posting your benchmark scores.

I bought the 250 for my budget machine, it's a good, solid, card that lets me run my most commonly played games (the ones I listed) on max settings without having to worry about lag or heating issues. Now, if you want to run a game that uses something like the Cry engine on max settings, then yes, you'll most likely need to upgrade (I don't know, I haven't tried). You'll also want to upgrade if the rest of your system is very high end and a GTS250 would cause a bottleneck. But I don't think it gets much better than this card in the "bang for your buck" category.

And yes, I caught the sarcasm tag, but I felt like reiterating anyway.

Pandaemon

Pandaemon
  • Members
  • 125 posts
QUOTE (Cobalt. @ Dec 28 2009, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Might also be called pretty common games that aren't designed for the sole purpose of showing off your e-peen by posting your benchmark scores.

I bought the 250 for my budget machine, it's a good, solid, card that lets me run my most commonly played games (the ones I listed) on max settings without having to worry about lag or heating issues. Now, if you want to run a game that uses something like the Cry engine on max settings, then yes, you'll most likely need to upgrade (I don't know, I haven't tried). You'll also want to upgrade if the rest of your system is very high end and a GTS250 would cause a bottleneck. But I don't think it gets much better than this card in the "bang for your buck" category.

And yes, I caught the sarcasm tag, but I felt like reiterating anyway.

Yeah was just messing with ya because you posted names of older games that my old 8600 can handle, but the 250 can handle new games now fine.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
The 5770 is pretty much a 5870 with DX11... if you're not nuts about that, don't bother.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users