Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Where To Begin In The Star Wars Expanded Universe

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
Hey guys, just wondering if there are any star wars fans here.
Ive seen the 6 movies, played KOTOR 1 and 2, and shadows of the empire (n64)

I was on wikipedia and wookiepedia and looked into the books, comics, and games that exist in the star wars universe.
My question is now, would it make sense to read everything in chronological order?
as the earliest pre BBY to latest ABY?

Or should it read like narnia where the timeline isnt the best way but rather the publish dates.
Also are the comics renditions of the stories from the books? Or are they a completely separate entity?
Thanks, any advice will help.
Please incorporate books, comics, and games in your descriptions.

Mighty_Chives

Mighty_Chives
  • Members
  • 1,562 posts
  • Steam ID:Superstar Chives
I've only read the KOTOR comic, which tbh is only really good if you're a fan of the games. It was ok.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
Watch the original 3 movies, play KOTOR 1/2, Rouge Squadron 1/2, and Dark Knight 2 (if you can find it)... then stop.

Edited by Dohregard, 07 December 2009 - 03:21 PM.

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
yeah, i saw the old republic graphic novels at my local indigo/chapters, but wasnt sure, they looked really fresh and i dont know if they will be making references to other materials. I might check them out soon, i think some comic stores have deals on them and comic con is coming relatively soon.

dohregard, ive seen the 3 movies, played kotor 1 and 2, rogue squadron 1 but not 2, but what do you mean by dark knight 2? Do you mean jedi knight dark forces 2?
Id be content with stopping but ive heard many good things about the storylines of anakin solo, mara jade skywalker darth caedus, etc...
Also, something about darth bane's rule of 2, how there should only be 2 sith at once, id be interested to check out more regarding him.

is the rest of the expanded universe outside of the realm of what you mentioned just not up to par with what you did mention? or is it actually detrimental to the star wars experience...like the prequel trilogy lol

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
QUOTE (retrovirus @ Dec 7 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you mean jedi knight dark forces 2?

yes... I for some reason keep saying dark knight... prolly confused with batman :/

QUOTE (retrovirus @ Dec 7 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is the rest of the expanded universe outside of the realm of what you mentioned just not up to par with what you did mention? or is it actually detrimental to the star wars experience...like the prequel trilogy lol

I honestly don't like anything other than what I listed, I know other people that are real into the books and what have you, but I'm turned off by them.

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
cool, thanks man.
Its funny that you mention that game because it was just recently redistributed by steam in this package. Im most likely going to get this.

Jedi Knight collection

Vorrik

Vorrik

IRC Loudmouth, I ask Xim inappropriate shit.

• Members
  • 987 posts
  • xfire:conarus
  • Interests:Cowtipping
  • Xbox / GFWL:dun play
  • PSN:dun have
  • Wii:dun have
*ahem*

I started on the new jedi order series, stuff with the yhuuzhan vong and the like... shit be crazy
i've pretty much went from there, except the dark nest.... ugh.
My only gripe about the books is the different authors and different writing styles, you could have an absolutely shit book then the next one is written pretty well not only that but uh, luke is nearing his 70's and hese still fighting like hese 20 , granted he has the force behind him but... what the fuck is hans excuse? hese a fossil walking around fighting jedi and the like.

its all the same crap but njo and onwards is pretty much one really big long story so its worth a gander.

Kotor is obviously worth it for games and kotor 2, jedi knight : all of em but you can skip academy cus its balls.
That starwars RTS game was pretty solid, thats worth checking out.

If you have any questions ill be glad to answer them, im a massive faggot.

Edited by Vorrik, 07 December 2009 - 07:55 PM.

"Error E2061 date.h 13: Friends must be functions or classes"-Borland c++ compiler.

Mighty_Chives

Mighty_Chives
  • Members
  • 1,562 posts
You'll shit your pants at how awesome those games are.

If you were wondering about references in the kotor books, I can recall that it's set before the first game, I think maybe during the mandalorian wars - the characters were atleast pretty interesting - there are cameos by even revan in one panel. But characters who appear far more often are Carth (who is pretty much a completely different person, since he's likeable), and malak before he lost his jaw. The Rakghoul plague is a big arc.

I have to confess i never finished it. Though I dunno wether or not they're even still going.

Yeah vorrik wtf you totally are a massive faggot. Skip Academy and get the RTS' instead? thats just tragic

Edited by Mighty_Chives, 07 December 2009 - 08:00 PM.

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
  • xfire:cky852k
  • Steam ID:cky852k
  • Xbox / GFWL:jojo852k
  • PSN:jojo852k
  • Gamer Army ID:153
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Mighty_Chives @ Dec 8 2009, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Skip Academy and get the RTS' instead? thats just tragic

academy was awesome, im tempted to get it off steam again..

empire at war was a pile of wank. or was the it the AOE star wars ripoff u were on about

Edited by j-tak, 07 December 2009 - 08:41 PM.

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • xfire:360shunted
  • Steam ID:shunted
  • Xbox / GFWL:shunted
  • PSN:shunted
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
http://en.wikipedia....o_at_Stars'_End

fantastic book, which i had the rest in the trilogy

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
QUOTE (retrovirus @ Dec 7 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool, thanks man.
Its funny that you mention that game because it was just recently redistributed by steam in this package. Im most likely going to get this.

Jedi Knight collection

fuuuuuck ya! I'm so getting this!

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
  • Steam ID:Destruct0r
  • PSN:kracine
  • Wii:5323779916910511
I grew up on these books. I'll tell you exactly where to start:

The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn http://en.wikipedia...._Thrawn_trilogy

After this, it doesn't really matter what order you go in. That trilogy introduced all the major expanded universe characters and settings. Other books mostly fill in the gaps. It's also probably the best-written series; a lot of Star Wars books are pretty low-quality. I will say that the Rogue Squadron series is very good. The Jedi Academy series by Kevin J. Anderson is also pretty good, and it ties into the ending of the Rogue Squadron series with the really good stand-alone novel I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole which follows Corran Horn through the events of Jedi Academy and beyond. Offers a really detailed and interesting take on a Jedi just discovering his powers. If you want to know what happens RIGHT after the end of Return of the Jedi, you could read Truce at Bakura, but I didn't care much for the writing of that one. If you want to read some stuff about bounty hunters and Boba Fett, Tales of the Bounty Hunters is great. If you want to read about Han Solo's backstory, there's a trilogy of books about that as well. And one for Lando. Both of those are pretty good reads. Finally, for a book to tie everything back to the Thrawn trilogy, read the Hand of Thrawn duology.

I'd stay away from New Jedi Order. I read about half of it before giving up. It's all way too convoluted and lame.

Ask about anything else you want to know; I have a whole bookshelf of this stuff at home.
Current blog entry: The Future of Gaming According to Bobby Kotick
You are Likely to be Eaten by a Grue

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
hey thanks a lot destructor, i shall start with the thrawn trilogy.
I might look into those books you mentioned on han and lando. I would like to focus moreso on the ABY timeline and then look into the old republic afterwards.
Do you have any experience with the comic adaptations of these books? Im going to grab the heir to the throne and was thinking about checking out the dark horse interpretation afterwards.

And thanks for the input shunted and vorrik. I will most likely hit up the han solo books immediately after the thrawn trilogy

Edit: just realized that the dark horse graphic novel adaptation of the thrawn trilogy will be released december 16th, 09
420 pages full color.

Edited by retrovirus, 08 December 2009 - 12:45 PM.

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
QUOTE (retrovirus @ Dec 8 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey thanks a lot destructor, i shall start with the thrawn trilogy.
I might look into those books you mentioned on han and lando. I would like to focus moreso on the ABY timeline and then look into the old republic afterwards.
Do you have any experience with the comic adaptations of these books? Im going to grab the heir to the throne and was thinking about checking out the dark horse interpretation afterwards.

And thanks for the input shunted and vorrik. I will most likely hit up the han solo books immediately after the thrawn trilogy

Edit: just realized that the dark horse graphic novel adaptation of the thrawn trilogy will be released december 16th, 09
420 pages full color.

The only Star Wars comics I have is the Dark Empire series. They're alright; artwork and action is all very good, and the story is decent, but I'm not a fan of how it affects the canon. The Emperor being basically immortal means the entire Original Trilogy storyline is practically pointless!

I am definitely looking forward to the Thrawn comics though!

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
i preordered the thrawn graphic novel, im surprised, it costed me 25$ at chapters, and its a hardcover, full-color 420 page book.
In order to get free shipping i also purchased the first 2 novels in the thrawn trilogy, since the pre order of the book isnt for after christmas, i wont get my shipment of either 3 items until post new years.

In the meantime im still studying for exams, so i shall touch upon the jedi knight games until then.

Vorrik

Vorrik

• Members
  • 987 posts
Well after JKO... JA was a big pile of MEH

Jko's dueling system was fap a riffic, but its dumbed down in JKA pretty bad, with jagged gameplay and gay glitches thas not to say i played JKA a fair bit but i much preferred JKO icon_sad.gif

I had a good laugh with empire at war to be honest... well at least the space battles were fun lol, ground was tragic.

Also battlefront seems to be alright... but the online community is near non existent now icon_sad.gif

also, good call on thrawn trilogy as an opener... icon_surprised.gif

Edited by Vorrik, 10 December 2009 - 02:58 PM.

"Error E2061 date.h 13: Friends must be functions or classes"-Borland c++ compiler.

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
QUOTE (Vorrik @ Dec 10 2009, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well after JKO... JA was a big pile of MEH

Jko's dueling system was fap a riffic, but its dumbed down in JKA pretty bad, with jagged gameplay and gay glitches thas not to say i played JKA a fair bit but i much preferred JKO icon_sad.gif

I had a good laugh with empire at war to be honest... well at least the space battles were fun lol, ground was tragic.

Also battlefront seems to be alright... but the online community is near non existent now icon_sad.gif

also, good call on thrawn trilogy as an opener... icon_surprised.gif

You said it. I played Jedi Outcast online for around four years in a clan (Shinsengumi), it was a great group of guys, and the dueling system in that game was insanely deep. I was really pumped for Jedi Academy's release, and bought it, but they just destroyed all the depth of JO's multiplayer. The staff and double-sabers were broken and imbalanced, the special moves all sucked including the new ones and the old ones, and the new stamina system was god-awful. Rolling required stamina! If you didn't have enough stamina you simply couldn't roll to evade an attack! Ugh.

If you only want to play single-player, though, Jedi Academy isn't bad. There's also some great mods for it, in fact, as there are for Jedi Outcast too. Just don't ever play Academy online.

Mighty_Chives

Mighty_Chives
  • Members
  • 1,562 posts
Is there even an online scene for either anymore? (especially for a new player)

Vorrik

Vorrik

• Members
  • 987 posts
QUOTE (Mighty_Chives @ Dec 10 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there even an online scene for either anymore? (especially for a new player)

JKA's online community is booming i must say, i havent checked out JKO in ages mainly because i lost my discs for it lol

I havent checked out JKA in a few months actually.

I joined some clan for like a week then forgot about the game because of university

Edited by Vorrik, 10 December 2009 - 07:17 PM.

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
I checked in on JO last year, and there were still a bunch of servers around with a few hundred players. Surprisingly a few of them even remembered me! I guess I did build up some decent notoriety when I used to play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users