Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Where To Begin In The Star Wars Expanded Universe

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
QUOTE (Destructor @ Dec 9 2009, 03:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Jedi Academy series by Kevin J. Anderson is also pretty good

fuck yeah it is

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
so my thrawn books are actually shipping early at no extra charge, props to indigo/chapters.
I got the jedi knight collection off steam, i decided to start off with jedi outcast, i'll hit up dark forces 2 afterwards.

I must say this is much better than any of the newer starwars games. Im really liking the saberrealisticcombat cheat...i think every star wars game should have lightsaber mechanics like that.

I also got my hands on season 1 of the clone wars remake, the 3d-animated series. Im not going to lie but despite the surprisngly lame (lucas-esque) humour, its really good. As little as i like the prequel trilogy, the episodes are pretty good.

Mighty_Chives

Mighty_Chives
  • Members
  • 1,562 posts
  • Steam ID:Superstar Chives
I think I bought the first season of the cartoon on dvd. I thought it was fuckin god awful

saw the movie too jesus christ that was shite

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
are you talking about the nickelodeon style cartoon?
and the movie was pretty bad.

im talking about the new series animated like the movie.

preview for season 2

Eraserhead

Eraserhead
  • Members
  • 2,735 posts
  • xfire:sacredcow669
  • Interests:Music, Film, Gaming, Books.
  • Steam ID:Tanel_669
  • Wii:Lol, Miyamoto
You motherfuckers... I just tore apart my closet looking for this, and I can't fucking find it. All I found was this... I must have left Heir to the Empire out at the lake... I'm raging right now, I remember starting that book liek 10 years ago now I can't find it to reread/finish it... And it's apparently one of the better EU books... Now I just have the 2nd NJO book and I don't even have the first one... Apparently I bought multiple random Star Trek EU books as well, though I've never read any of them...

Star Wars, man. I have/had a ton of those books from when I was really young, I even had an audio drama tape (Dark Empire IIRC)... Toys... I don't even have the original trilogy on DVD, I still have the VHS one... I better... Get that shit...

Goddamn it now I'm going to be nerding out until I find Heir to the Empire and read it.

Curiouser and curiouser...

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
the dvds are good quality since they are digital...but a new format obviously to lucas means new opportunity to add stuff. I mean...in jedi, im pretty sure we all know what im talking about.

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
  • Steam ID:Destruct0r
  • PSN:kracine
  • Wii:5323779916910511
I am actually hunting down DVDs of the original theatrical releases because I can't stand the changed version on the regular DVDs. I don't think ANY change from the "Special editions" were positive. Greedo shooting first, that scene with CG Jabba, changing Boba Fett's voice to Jango's in Empire, and then the terrible, terrible, nightmare-inducing ending of Return. Oh, and let's not forget they got rid of the yub-nub song! YUB-NUB!
Current blog entry: The Future of Gaming According to Bobby Kotick
You are Likely to be Eaten by a Grue

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
hey destructor, if you are going to get the original theatrical release, make sure you ge the trilogy package with the blue box and not the silver one with darth vader.

this package contains 6 discs. This includes the special edition of each film, with the original -THEATRICAL release, pre-special edition, what people saw in theatres in 1977- films.

Its a good price too.

Eraserhead

Eraserhead
  • Members
  • 2,735 posts
  • xfire:sacredcow669
  • Interests:Music, Film, Gaming, Books.
  • Steam ID:Tanel_669
  • Wii:Lol, Miyamoto
pp_smiley9.gif

After not being able to find the first book in the Thrawn trilogy (which I'm positive I own), I went to a used bookstore to find it, and they only had the 2nd and 3rd books... I bought them anyway... I must find that goddamn book...

and... THEY GOT RID OF THE YUB NUB SONG???? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Star Wars is fucking me over right now. I am being fucked over by a fictional enterprise.

Curiouser and curiouser...

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
hey dudes, quick update, i got my hands on the first 2 books of the thrawn trilogy and my thrawn trilogy graphic novel just came in the mail today!

forgive the shitty webcam plz,

just to show the height, its as long as the rogers box remotes
it is 437 pages

full color photo paper

i know anyone could easily google or search it, but i just wanted to show some size comparisons of the book. I was actually shocked at the quality of the paper, the hardcover, and the fact that its completely full color, and its 25$ online @chapters/indigo

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Vorrik @ Dec 10 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well after JKO... JA was a big pile of MEH

Jko's dueling system was fap a riffic, but its dumbed down in JKA pretty bad, with jagged gameplay and gay glitches thas not to say i played JKA a fair bit but i much preferred JKO icon_sad.gif

I preferred JA by far, I thought there was a lot more to it than JO...JO's always just seemed really slow to me, it got boring fast. JA had glitches, yeah, but it was possible to incorporate them into gameplay. Delayed swings and stuff used to really fuck with people
The aryan superiority of single saber triumphs over dual and staff nonsense

Also, for the books, read the Han Solo Trilogy, it's pulpy awesomeness
Disregard the mountain of bullshit that is the New Jedi Order series

Edited by Xayun, 04 January 2010 - 05:47 PM.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Boba Fett's Trilogy is pretty decent.

I also very much enjoyed the X-Wing series (about Rogue Squadron) by Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston (who did the Wraith Squadron books which are a part of the X-Wing series).

Then I, Jedi was also by Michael Stackpole was a good read.

Edit: Oh and everyone here agree's to say "Fuck the Yuuzhan Vong"? That was just fucking brutal.

Edit again: Truce at Bakura was alright a bit strange but enjoyable.

Edited by Sir Kyle Aziz, 04 January 2010 - 09:06 PM.

darkhen

darkhen
  • Members
  • 1,057 posts
  • xfire:darkhen
  • Interests:Bang Bang Bang<br /><br />Banging people<br />
I needa get into star wars, iv always been a MAD LOTR FAN. Iv watched all the movies in order, and each movie a few times but iv never been really able to get REALLY into it. Iv played battle front etc and it was mad fun. Where do I start?

]

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
I tried out the Lego Star Wars game on my brother's PSP, and it's rather good. I'm talking about the original trilogy, which is the 2nd. Has little quirky jokes like Leia throwing the disc with the plans into R2D2 like a trash can. Made me giggle.

Just got into Star Wars. I watched A New Hope a few weeks ago, and just bought the DVD for The Empire Strikes Back a couple of days ago; can't wait to watch it.

I saw EP1 and the ending to EP3 a LONG time ago, figured I'd watch it in release order rather than story order.

Ganonheart

Ganonheart
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts
  • xfire:badazzewok
  • Xbox / GFWL:Ganonheart
I just read random ones, i have some KoTR era, some Prequel era and shit tonnes of post old film era. Just buy what ever sounds decent on the bake, never steered me wrong.

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Jengerer @ Jan 5 2010, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw EP1 and the ending to EP3 a LONG time ago, figured I'd watch it in release order rather than story order.

If you mean you're watching it IV-V-VI-I-II-III, good
Watching RotS before ESB totally ruins the impact of ESB (which is the best one by far)

darkhen

darkhen
  • Members
  • 1,057 posts
  • xfire:darkhen
  • Interests:Bang Bang Bang<br /><br />Banging people<br />

I just rented the original three + star trek borg movie.

]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users