Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need Some Help With My Computers Audio

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

The Other Kyle

The Other Kyle
  • Members
  • 419 posts
  • Steam ID:five_one
So today I turn on my computer to listen to some music. The computer boots up and I don't hear the usual windows sounds. So I turn some audio files and I can't hear any of them. I turn my speakers all the way up and all the sound I can get is static, only from the right speaker. I have done all of the basics like making sure nothing is muted in the volume menu, turning up windows media player sounds. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary with my computer. The strange thing is, when I plug in my headphones, I still get the same result. Static from the right headphone. Then I tried unplugging my speakers and restarting the computer. The only audio related hardware was my headphones and I was still just getting static. Does on board audio just randomly die?

Please any help in any way would be appreciated. o.o My computer is completely stock, except for a video card I added 2 years ago.

Motherboard Name MSI MS-7184

What else do you guys wanna know?
"Suit up boys, that's right, it's the weekend."

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
Do you have any other audio ports on your pc? Any front/back panel line-out sockets?

If you wiggle the connection a bit, does the sound change at all?

The Other Kyle

The Other Kyle
  • Members
  • 419 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Sep 25 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you have any other audio ports on your pc? Any front/back panel line-out sockets?

If you wiggle the connection a bit, does the sound change at all?

My speakers are plugged in the back of my computer, no change when I wiggle no connection. My headphone jack is in the front of my computer, same this, no change. I also just noticed that when I turn the speakers up all the way, so the static is blaring, then mute the sound on the computer, the static stays at the same volume.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
OK, a few more things to try -

- Check the audio connections inside your case. Make sure everything is tight and that your connections are clean. Also, make sure that your audio cables aren't touching, or anywhere near your HDDs or any power cables.

- Do your speakers or headphones work on any other audio equipment in your house?

- What power supply do you have? Is it fairly cheap/old?

The Other Kyle

The Other Kyle
  • Members
  • 419 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Sep 25 2009, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, a few more things to try -

- Check the audio connections inside your case. Make sure everything is tight and that your connections are clean. Also, make sure that your audio cables aren't touching, or anywhere near your HDDs or any power cables.

- Do your speakers or headphones work on any other audio equipment in your house?

- What power supply do you have? Is it fairly cheap/old?

I am going to open up my comp tomarrow.. not feeling up to it at 1am.

Speakers and headphones both work on my ipod.

PSU is stock from when I bought this computer like 5 years ago.. not entirely sure what it is. I will find that out tomorrow when I open it up.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
OK, well I'll wait till you have a look inside before I try and offer any other suggestions, as it might be something very simple like that.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Yeah uh..this sounds more like a software problem to me?

What OS do you have? How are the volume settings in the Windows Mixer? (screenshot might help)

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

The Other Kyle

The Other Kyle
  • Members
  • 419 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Sep 25 2009, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah uh..this sounds more like a software problem to me?

What OS do you have? How are the volume settings in the Windows Mixer? (screenshot might help)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users