Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[x360] Halo 3: Odst

* * * * - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3

Published by: Microsoft Game Studios
Developed by: Bungie Software
Genre: First-Person Shooter
Release Date:
US: September 22, 2009
Platform: X360

Youíve been faithful; been playing Halo since 2001. Youíre a true Halo fan yet youíre questioning a purchase of Halo 3:ODST? Yes, itís an expansion to Halo, but why is it the same price as a full game you may be thinking. What justifies this ridiculous price tag for a game Iíve heard is only 4-5hours long?

Ok , even if youíre not who I just described youíre reading this review so you must be interested in this game everyoneís talking about. Well Iíve played it and Iíve got some news for you -news that may even disappoint you. So whatís Halo 3:ODST all about? Letís take a look.

Halo 3:ODST is indeed an expansion to Halo 3 although Bungie claims that this expansion is much different than Halo 3. ODST boasts a 5 hour campaign, a new multiplayer addition called firefight, and 3 new maps. Seems all well and good right? Well if they are going to slap a 60$ price tag on the game it better live up to the price!

In ODST you do not play as the master chief. Instead you will play as an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper a highly trained UNSC solider. What does this mean for the gameplay? Well to be honest, not as much as youíd think. The way this game was advertised is rethinking the way to play Halo Ė supposed ďnew tacticsĒ. Well if that was your impression then you will be disappointed. Itís really the same Halo formula youíve been playing for years. This isnít necessarily a bad thing, itís still quite enjoyable. Yet if you hated the other Halo games this game wonít change the way you feel.

You'll be exploring New Mombasa for clues that will lead you to your squad

Let me explain some of the elements of the game starting with health. In Call of Duty games you have no health bar, when you get struck you start to go red and eventually die. Yet, if you hide for a bit and rest you can recover back to full health. In Halo 3: ODST this element takes place, but then you also have a full health bar beneath that. Remember the days of Halo 1 with the health pack? Well itís very similar to that now. Having a static health bar is a slight change to Halo gameplay, but you will quickly adjust. While this does slightly change the dynamic of the game you will not be rethinking the way you used to play Halo. Numerous times I still ran into an area full of covenant and went straight into the action gunning down as many covenant as I could find.

Those who really enjoyed the first Halo will surely enjoy the gameplay in ODST. The pistol is back with nearly the same power as it first did. Other guns include many that youíve used in Halo 3, most of them still feeling the same way they did with some small additions like an added scope. Another significant change is the lack of duel wielding. Luckily I canít say you will miss it that much, many of the guns will hold their own in terms of power. But hereís a question for the developers of the game, if an ODST trooper can use almost every gun similar to the master chief why on earth would they not be able to duel wield? What was the reason an ODST solider cannot pick up two guns? Obviously bungie just did this to change around the gameplay, but once again its nothing youíre really going to think changes the flow of gameplay.

The Hammer guys are still a bitch to kill

When playing through the campaign of ODST you will defiantly see a new approach to the story telling. Youíll be investigating the deaths of certain squad members that you dropped onto New Mombasa with. The storytelling will seem a lot different at first, but it grows on you. At first I wasnít really a fan but as I started investigating and replaying through the scenes it got enjoyable. Basically youíll be scowering the city to find certain ďbeaconsĒ that will take you to a playable scene explaining the events that unfolded.

The story did end up disappointing me because of the ending. It was the most anti-climatic ending in any Halo game yet. When I finished Halo 3 I remember chills going down my spine as I was so thrilled and curious to what was about to happen. Watching the ending cut scene in ODST I just ending up feeling extremely disappointed. I expected much better from bungie, especially since the starting scene to the game was so strong.

If thereís one thing you can still count on, itís the soundtrack. Playing through the campaign youíll get pumped and motivated through many of the tracks in the game. Bungie has had a real good knack for FPS music.

Pew Pew

Bungie also hasnít changed around much of the graphics. It still runs of the same engine Halo 3 did. This doesnít mean the game is ugly though. The cut scenes look fantastic and you will still be amazed at some of the art work in the game. Lots of regular halo scenery that youíre used to, but really defined this time around. Areas in which you will fight during the daytime are really nice. In short, the graphics are nothing to lose your breath over but still work with the game great.

Aside from the campaign, ODST offers a new mode called firefight. Do you remember ďHorde ModeĒ in GoW2? Well itís basically that, with a halo spin on things. Waves of multiple covenant coming at you is just about as fun as it sounds. You and youíre friends will need to use good teamwork to make it far. But does firefight justify buying ODST if youíre not a single player type guy? I would say it really depends on the type of person you are. If you were super addicted to the horde mode in GoW2 then firefight is right up your alley. Otherwise, if youíre just looking for a new fresh multiplayer aspect firefight may not have the ability to keep you addicted and playing till Christmas. It depends on your friends really.

In addition to firefight Halo ODST has a second disc with all the Halo 3 maps ever made plus three new halo maps. If you still play Halo 3 religiously youíll love this. Although for those who payed for all those maps previously it will feel like a bit of rip off. Youíre essentially paying for something you already have.

Closing Comments

Halo 3: ODST is advertised as a new approach to the halo series. This raises the question, how different is the gameplay really? Well itís not all that different. It feels much like previous games in regards to the AI and most guns. The static health bar and inability to duel wield donít exactly change the way youíre going to be thinking of playing Halo. Playing on the lower difficulties you will feel like master chief did in Halo 1 Ė Run and gun, then get a few health packs. A bit more caution will need to be used in the higher difficulties and firefight. When it comes to the gameplay if you didnít like previous halos you will not have your opinion changed when you play ODST. Yet, if you enjoyed previous Halo games you will still have fun playing through the campaign just donít expect any drastic changes. The storytelling is different but in a good way. The ending is anti-climatic and is sure to leave you feeling disappointed. Ultimately, if your deciding whether ODST is worth the 60$ price tag you really need to relook over what you enjoy about Halo games and if some more of the same with a few exciting tweaks will still appeal to you.

Presentation - 9.0/10
Excellent cut scenes compliment the different style of storytelling. Some work could have been used on the ending.

Graphics - 8.0/10
Looks similar to Halo 3 but the scenery is more vibrant and defined. It works well with the game.

Sound - 9.5/10
Everything from the sound effects to voice acting is superb in ODST. The soundtrack really motivates you during battles.

Gameplay - 8.5/10
For a game that wants you to rethink how you play Halo it doesn't actually change much from the classic gameplay. It's still very much the same Halo we've been playing for years, but it's fun. Firefight is a blast with friends.

Lasting Appeal - 9.0/10
The campaign lasts around 5hours but if Halo multiplayer is your thing this game could last you for a long time.

8.5/10 - Great
( ? ) Click Here for ratings guide

Edited by Plasmic Fury, 30 September 2009 - 10:13 AM.

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Hm solid review, but I dont think that final score reflected your overall criticisms of the game.

Good work anyways.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Sep 23 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still ran into an area full of covenant and went straight into the action gunning down as many covenant as I could find.

what difficulty have you been playing on?

im playing through and brutes are decent good shots. 2 carbine bullets and you have already taken some perma damage. if there are two of them with carbines, you go down FAST. like, 5 carbine shots and they may miss once or twice. in fact, most guns will take down your "shields" in just one or two shots. needler might be the only gun that takes more than 2. either way, this is my favorite balance of health and shields thus far.

personally, ive already put 5 hours into the single player and i havnt finished it yet. i am taking my time and exploring the city and i am playing on legendary (or as i call it, fun mode).

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Sep 24 2009, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what difficulty have you been playing on?

im playing through and brutes are decent good shots. 2 carbine bullets and you have already taken some perma damage. if there are two of them with carbines, you go down FAST. like, 5 carbine shots and they may miss once or twice. in fact, most guns will take down your "shields" in just one or two shots. needler might be the only gun that takes more than 2. either way, this is my favorite balance of health and shields thus far.

Play Halo 3 on legendary then, It won't feel that different. The amount of bullets you can handle is only slightly dropped.

But yes, on the higher difficultes you may have to be cautious about health packs which is different than that in Halo 3. Makes it a bit more challenging.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
it does feel different though. thats what im saying. the ai is better, you take more dmg, you deal less dmg (especially in melee) and ammo/health is harder to come by. hunters are actually a huge bitch to fight against. on a few occasions ive just run away from them.

The Other Kyle

The Other Kyle
  • Members
  • 419 posts
  • Steam ID:five_one
I'm not much of a Halo fan, but, from what I've heard, they should have just made this like a 20-30 dollar DLC.

Edited by The Other Kyle, 25 September 2009 - 02:34 PM.

"Suit up boys, that's right, it's the weekend."

Death's Embrace

Death's Embrace
  • Members
  • 436 posts
Those "hammer guys" are Brute chieftains. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Sep 14 2008, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The amount of failure you have just produced could power New York for 3 days...

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,316 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (The Other Kyle @ Sep 25 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not much of a Halo fan, but, from what I've heard, they should have just made this like a 20-30 dollar DLC.

Yeah seriously. I think it's ridiculous that they put this out there as a full priced game. Is a game you can beat in 1 rental worth buying? It's really just a halo 3 expansion pack, but from what I understand it doesn't add much to the multiplayer, I heard firefight can't be played online, which if that's true then I really don't see the point in buying it when the main selling point of halo is the online now.

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
The truth of it all, is that they can sell it for 60$ and people will still buy it. They gotta milk the game as much as they can. People all over the world love Halo and will buy it just because of the name. Same goes with games like Zelda for example.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (UDP @ Sep 25 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard firefight can't be played online

sounds like you heard a load of shit. funny thing is, most single player games can be beaten in one rental. bioshock, halo, resistence, uncharted, zelda, mario, etc etc etc. that said, i think firefight is extremely well done. i enjoy it a lot more than horde from gears. the ai is just WAY better in halo than it ever has been in gears.

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
You really didn't address his point Rak. It can be played online, but unless you have 3 people on your friend's list online it isn't worth it since there is no matchmaking for firefight.
And like that, he was gone.

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,316 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (The Colonel @ Sep 26 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You really didn't address his point Rak. It can be played online, but unless you have 3 people on your friend's list online it isn't worth it since there is no matchmaking for firefight.

Oh, I think I heard there's no online matchmaking and I must've thought they meant no online - still that's pretty lame, I don't see why it doesn't have matchmaking.

helpfulh.jpg
Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (The Colonel @ Sep 26 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no, he stated "no online" which is false. if he said "no matchmaking" thats different. matchmaking =\= online.

that said, no there is no matchmaking for firefight. i dont really mind personally, but i can see how that might be an issue for someone who wants to play it and has no friends who play ODST.

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Sep 26 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no, he stated "no online" which is false. if he said "no matchmaking" thats different. matchmaking =\= online.

Dude. You didn't even read what I said. I said you didn't address his point. He heard there was no online. Instead of correcting him and mentioning part of the online was missing, you just said "load of shit" and moved on. At least address that while it is wrong, it is based in some truth (as pointed out in his previous post).
And like that, he was gone.

NorthernTribe

NorthernTribe
  • Members
  • 4 posts
It seems as though there isn't much content in this.

I mean... The Orange Box was not even as much as this, yet it came with 3(+2) games, including Portal, which is arguably the best single player FPS ever made.

It's ME!

It's ME!
  • GA Private
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Chewing bubble gum and kicking ass... and I'm all outta gum!
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:3318
  • Company:Alpha
We can't dual-wield weapons because the guy is just human, not a super-human.
Also the best part of this game is the amostphere and soundtrack, especially when you're alone in the city.

Mighty_Chives

Mighty_Chives
  • Members
  • 1,562 posts
  • Steam ID:Superstar Chives
lols the guys who 'revolutionised' matchmaking are really showing their worth with firefight huh. So much for that.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (NorthernTribe @ Sep 27 2009, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems as though there isn't much content in this.

I mean... The Orange Box was not even as much as this, yet it came with 3(+2) games, including Portal, which is arguably the best single player FPS ever made.

to be fair, ODST comes with a 6 hour campaign (if you play it on a difficulty that's actually difficult for you) in an open world, which is only slightly less than most other FPS's. Includes a new multiplayer mode that's been getting rave reviews (despite no matchmaking. Everybody I've heard has spent time on it and has friends that want to do it is addicted), and one of the most expansive multiplayer experiences released recently in full (which is worth $20 just for the map packs. 1400points and saves 1.2 gb on your hd).
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Thorsummoner

Thorsummoner
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • xfire:thorsummoner
  • Steam ID:thorsummoner0
  • Xbox / GFWL:thorsummoner
  • PSN:eeeeeeeeeew
  • Wii:blows
Unfortunately Halo3 odst isn't a badgame, much better than halo 3 itself, the storyline is abnoxious, tutorials on how to you a map are forced upon you, and 'nightvision' is almost required though most of the game makeing everything green, but if you turn you tv to red and turn brightness and contrast wayy up, and get past all the loopholes and confusion in teh story, then yeah sure go and buy it; i myself woudn't pay more than 40$ for this game, but hey, it wasn't my money. The new game mode 'firefight' or whatever there calling it is basically a rape-infinate-waves-of-enimies game type, i found this much fun on easy untill the brutes had soo much sheild and health that the sheer ammount of ammo needed to kill them no longer existed on teh map. Map themselves are verry polished and clean, maby not so organized, but ceartanly NOT_linear and the NOT_linearness is really what saves this game for me, it more liek gta without teh vehicles and all the pedestrians shoot at you. Brutes are still big and ugly but can now do some mroe stuff and grunts are granade happy as allways. This game is much funner with atleast one or more other peple, unleass coop is still only 2plr. You get to blow up soem stuff and shoot soem stuff, and its a least a good 3 hour playtime, soo yeah. I would give it a 4/5 but its atleas worth a look, try it if your freind bought it and decide for yourself.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users