Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mmorpg Vs Ping

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

eafkuor

eafkuor
  • Members
  • 552 posts
I have never played an mmorpg and I was wondering how much having a low ping is important in this gaming genre.
I'm asking this because I want to find a decent mmorpg and join an English or American (or Canadian or wathever) guild, to improve my speaking skills.
Thx

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
I don't play MMORPGs really, but I have done in the past and they are a lot more forgiving of high ping than FPS and RTS games. Anything below 200 should be fine for casual play.

I'm sure some of the more regular/seasoned MMORPG players will have their own (probably more accurate) opinions, but that's just from my experience.

What kind of latency do you get in other online games normally?

Yozki

Yozki
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • xfire:Yozki
  • Steam ID:Yozki
I used to play wow with a ping of 150-250 and it was perfectly fine.

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
Competitive PvP is unplayable with a ping greater than like 50 (at least, it is in WoW).

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

eafkuor

eafkuor
  • Members
  • 552 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Sep 15 2009, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't play MMORPGs really, but I have done in the past and they are a lot more forgiving of high ping than FPS and RTS games. Anything below 200 should be fine for casual play.

I'm sure some of the more regular/seasoned MMORPG players will have their own (probably more accurate) opinions, but that's just from my experience.

What kind of latency do you get in other online games normally?

Usually something between 10 and 50 in CSS icon_biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Yozki @ Sep 15 2009, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to play wow with a ping of 150-250 and it was perfectly fine.

Nice!

QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Sep 15 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Competitive PvP is unplayable with a ping greater than like 50 (at least, it is in WoW).

I'm not interested in WoW, but thanks anyway icon_biggrin.gif

viciouslykillingyou

viciouslykillingyou
  • Members
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:PKING, PvP, Parkour, Free Weights, Game Design/Dev Work, Music, Writing, Women, Adult Swim, Anime, BMX, Baseball, American Football, Soccer, Making Newbies Rage IRL, Cooking, Ultima Online, Shadowbane, Writing, PKING and Women again because I love them the most of these things.
I used to play a Euro server on Ultima Online for the past 3 years of my life. [quit/banned after quitting]

My ping was around 150-200, I was pretty hard to kill even vs people who owned the server and had 0-50 ping. If you know how to handle yourself on a MMORPG you can keep up with the people who have really low ping 99% of the time. I do pay for a fast internet connection so maybe that helped.

If you would like to see an example of American ping vs Euro ping, view the uokillshots website in my sig, plenty of dead, owned, pwned, high ping people taking dirt naps.
http://community.web...ser/uokillshots

I try to stay 1337

Andrew James Heuser / John E Depth [co founder of the dark abyss]

http://img27.imagesh.../7wvjmc4lu0.jpg [pokemon period pads & myself]
http://i44.photobuck...ude/PPPrize.jpg [my first award on purepwnage]

kmjnhb

kmjnhb
  • Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • xfire:kmjnhb
  • Interests:games, world history, mythology, religion and culture, anime, food.
  • Steam ID:Hallvardgn
  • Xbox / GFWL:BEER4Hallvard
I currently play Champions Online, and the server is in the us. So I usually ping 250+ but have no problems at all.

eafkuor

eafkuor
  • Members
  • 552 posts
Thanks guys! I just downloaded "Florensia", let's see if it's any good icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users