Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[movie] Inglorious Basterds (2009)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3

Director:
Quentin Tarantino
Writer:
Quentin Tarantino (written by)
Release Date:
21 August 2009
Genre:
Action | Drama | War

Quentin Tarantino movies are known for their over the top gore and violence, so naturally like any other movie by him I went into ‘Inglorious Basterds’ expecting some plentiful ass kicking, face mutating and gut splitting violence. To my surprise though, I ended up watching a fully fleshed out and slightly overwritten masterpiece. That’s not to say there is no gruesome scenes we’ve come to love with Quentin’s movies but they are very noticeably cut down.

The ‘Inglourious Basterds’ are a fictional squad of renegade nazi killing marauders from WWII. Their goal is fully centered on killing Nazi’s. While the trailers make it seem like the story revolves around them for the jist of the movie (which I was lead to believe) it actually doesn’t. In fact for less than half the movie you’ll be watching Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) and his squad of killers as the movie also follows an actress, a cinema owner, and of course the Nazi’s. This isn’t a bad thing per say, but can be very misleading depending on what you’re expecting.

The movie is split up into five different chapters, each focusing on certain characters and situations. It’s actually very notable to mention that in each of these five chapters the setting rarely changes. You’ll be watching each scene for up to 20-30 minutes. This is where the movie can be a bit dodgy. The scenes always start strong maintaining your attention but as it progresses you start to wonder why it’s not coming to the point. At first you’re oblivious to what’s supposed to happen, but as the minutes go by you will know exactly what’s coming. Unfortunately this is where you’re subject to some pretty pointless dialogue as it slowly reaches the climax – some great but short classic Tarantino violence. This happens in just about every chapter, which is noticeable and comes close to annoyance.

Let's talk about cake as I slow play your ass

Though many of the scenes drag they still manage to leave you satisfied by the end. Take for instance the ‘Jew Hunter’ (played by Christoph Waltz) for example. When you see him first on screen you have no idea of his intentions. But as he wonderfully plays his character you start to realize he is way smarter than he looks as he slow plays the situation captivating you at the end of his schpeel. He is by far the best character on screen. It’s almost sick seeing how good he really is at his ‘job’.

As for the basterds when you see them on screen you can expect to be pleased with how Tarantino portrayed them. Not only are they exceptionally humorous but they manage to provide a great sense of satisfaction. Brad Pitt does an above average performance of his title, and all other ‘basterds’ with screen time were great. By the end of the movie you will wish they had more screen time.

Where this movie really proves its dominance is the end. From start to finish of the final chapter you will be on the edge of your seat. Everything is fully realized in the previous chapters to really compliment the end. While I wish that the entire movie could’ve been as entertaining as the last chapter, it’s still good to see the movie ending exceptionally strong. I can honestly say you should overhype the ending as much as you can because it will leave you feeling great about the time and money you lost on watching the movie.

Closing Comments

‘Inglourious Basterds’ is a different movie than what you might expect – especially from a director like Tarantino. There are still gruesome scenes you have come to love and respect, but they are limited. As the movie is split up into 5 chapters you will notice that the setting only changes as the chapters do. Additionally each scene is loaded with too much dialogue getting close to the point of annoyance. It’s fair to say though that each scene is acted wonderfully and reaches a great but short climax. It’s all worth the money when you get to the end, even though it’s a little late; everything about the conclusion is solid. You will leave this movie feeling very satisfied. This is a must see flick, one of the best this summer has had to offer.

Edited by Plasmic Fury, 02 January 2010 - 02:09 PM.

confrico

confrico
  • Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Aug 31 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Additionally each scene is loaded with too much dialogue getting close to the point of annoyance.

i loved the long dialogue in every tarantino movie except for this one. subtitles are part of the reason. but it's also the fact that tarantino uses dialogue in all his movies to build characters, which in this movie is unnecessary. you already know the roles of every person: the allied soldier, the calculating german, the resistance against the nazi. why introduce them further? it's just a matter of watching a plot unfold, which in every tarantino flick is always less interesting than the characters.

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
And the subtitles were very misleading. They never really matched what the characters were saying on screen. I don't know if the same goes for the German speaking parts but that's what I noticed about French parts. I don't know if Tarantino was so full of himself that he thought he was a pretty decent French speaker.

I also hate when he throws a character's background right in your face instead of slowly building on a character like you're suppose to. For example when we're introduced to the Basterds the first time (around the scene where they capture the german soldiers) we're introduced to one of the characters and seeing that we haven't heard his name already Tarantino decides to shove his name in big fucking letters in the middle of the screen and then spends the next 3 minutes discussing the guy's past... Which is completely irrelevant to the story line.

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

inex.

inex.
  • Members
  • 232 posts
i love the dialog just not the damn subtitles.
wayyy too many subtitles for the quick and witty dialog tarantino has

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
  • xfire:anatomy20
  • Steam ID:anatomy187
  • Xbox / GFWL:anatomy187
  • PSN:anatomy187
  • Gamer Army ID:2743
  • Company:Delta
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Sep 1 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also hate when he throws a character's background right in your face instead of slowly building on a character like you're suppose to. For example when we're introduced to the Basterds the first time (around the scene where they capture the german soldiers) we're introduced to one of the characters and seeing that we haven't heard his name already Tarantino decides to shove his name in big fucking letters in the middle of the screen and then spends the next 3 minutes discussing the guy's past... Which is completely irrelevant to the story line.

Like you're supposed to? Are there some kind of 'movie rules' that you aren't allowed to break when it comes to introducing characters? To be honest the writer can do whatever the hell he wants, what you think is best is just a matter of opinion. Also if you are referring to Hugo Stiglitz and showing him murdering German officers everywhere, getting locked up, and then getting brought into the Basterds service...how the hell else are you going to explain why there is randomly a German on this Jewish American death squad without going through that? Well you can explain it with words for some more 'pointless dialogue' or you can actually show it. And not that all scenes have to be directly relevant to the plot, but in this case it is anyway...the British guy makes a big deal out of it and you're wondering if he is going to snap during the bar scene.

Sorry but I just don't see what the big deal is in this case.

snow

snow
  • GA Private
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:cars games and well pp
  • PSN:snow306
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
  • Gamer Army ID:4665
  • Company:Alpha
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Sep 1 2009, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the subtitles were very misleading. They never really matched what the characters were saying on screen. I don't know if the same goes for the German speaking parts but that's what I noticed about French parts. I don't know if Tarantino was so full of himself that he thought he was a pretty decent French speaker.

He tends to do things like that in his movies. In pulp fiction if you listen to the dialogue of when vega and juels get the briefcase and juels spouts of that bible shit its slightly different each time you see it because he wants to show it from a different persons point of view. This person heard it this way but this person heard it another way kinda thing you know.

Edited by snow, 01 September 2009 - 05:41 PM.

this needs to be on the forum rules page

QUOTE (Extracheez @ Sep 10 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This again, is where you are taking my argument and calling it false, yet you have completely missed what I'm saying, so much so that I have said "1+1=2" and your reply is "no, because I'm an owl".

Johno

Johno
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • xfire:trinzy
Seeing this movie tonight. Cant wait!

BattleSoup

BattleSoup
  • Members
  • 937 posts
  • xfire:tomtomsoup
  • Interests:Making Short Films, Playing Guitar...Watching Pure Pwnage
  • Steam ID:tommysoup
Fantastic review!
Fantastic movie!

LATEST VIDEO:HYDRATION
xfire_logo2.jpg twitterlogo3lol.pngSteam Group

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
QUOTE (anatomy187 @ Sep 1 2009, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-

We know the horrors of World War 2, we need no reason to know why these Jewish soldiers are mad. It's quite fucking obvious. And if this character introduction isn't as pointless as you said it is, why only present one character in such a fashion? I'll tell you why, because Tarantino had such a fucking boner watching Sergio Leone movies that he was so determined into making a spaghetti western that he decided to add useless scenes to the movie so he could give it the proper length a spaghetti western usually has.

QUOTE (snow @ Sep 1 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He tends to do things like that in his movies. In pulp fiction if you listen to the dialogue of when vega and juels get the briefcase and juels spouts of that bible shit its slightly different each time you see it because he wants to show it from a different persons point of view. This person heard it this way but this person heard it another way kinda thing you know.

It's more about how subtitles are written. For example when I watched Seven Samurai for the first time, I read subtitles since I don't speak any Japanese. Anyways, it didn't take me a decade to figure out that the subtitles did not match everything the character's were saying because a character would say atleast 5 sentences and it would only come out as 1 in the subtitles. So I don't think Tarantino was trying to give us different points of views, that just wouldn't make any sense.

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

kaptein_knivkamp

kaptein_knivkamp
  • Members
  • 965 posts
  • xfire:kapteinknivkamp
  • Xbox / GFWL:bayersk
I read in a newspaper that the theatrical version of the movie was cut down by one hour. There weren't any sources to prove if it was true or not so it could might as well be a rumour. The extened version might make more sense if there's more focus put on the basterds and Hugo Stiglitz though. I prefer to have watched the extended version before jumping into conclusions anyways.

freeze

freeze
  • Members
  • 2,695 posts
  • xfire:FreezerFlame
  • Interests:StarCraft<br />Game Design<br />Video Editing
  • Steam ID:Nettown8
  • PSN:FrEeZing
QUOTE (kaptein_knivkamp @ Sep 4 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read in a newspaper that the theatrical version of the movie was cut down by one hour. There weren't any sources to prove if it was true or not so it could might as well be a rumour. The extened version might make more sense if there's more focus put on the basterds and Hugo Stiglitz though. I prefer to have watched the extended version before jumping into conclusions anyways.
A longer version of this movie? Holy fuck, I felt like I was in that theater for days when I saw this film. When that first chapter finished I was like "alright time to go, I hope to see the sequel."

Mighty_Chives

Mighty_Chives
  • Members
  • 1,562 posts
  • Steam ID:Superstar Chives
lols thought this thread got moved to crap.

Defiled

Defiled
  • Members
  • 4,091 posts
QUOTE (Mighty_Chives @ Sep 7 2009, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lols thought this thread got moved to crap.

Look again bro.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Sep 1 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya, the German was off as well, but it doesn't contract from it for me. I think the foreign language versions would probably have a better time with the dialog if it was spoken as they do. English doesn't translate well with other languages.

Bl!ndf!re

Bl!ndf!re
  • Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • xfire:tehlickerer
loved the movie so much, hitler getting a facefull of mp40 was awesome

I wanted more basterd scenes though, litterally all the ones you see in the commercials are all there are

Edited by Bl!ndf!re, 18 September 2009 - 12:00 AM.

QUOTE (Husky @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A couple of Mutas softened up to the red, a couple of other Mutas softened up to the black, cause they're dead.

QUOTE (slartibartfast of earth @ Sep 28 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ps my disablity in my hands makes my typing crap sry

QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd hit it tbh. Especially if it's dead.

richmeister

richmeister
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts
  • xfire:richmeister6666
QUOTE (Bl!ndf!re @ Sep 7 2009, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
loved the movie so much, hitler getting a facefull of mp40 was awesome

I wanted more basterd scenes though, litterally all the ones you see in the commercials are all there are

this, i just didn't relate to the basterds at all, also the ending was awesome, btw you should spoiler that icon_smile.gif

Dylantendo

Dylantendo
  • Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dylantendo
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
"I HAVE A BIIINGO!" Lol that guy made me laugh so much.

Bl!ndf!re

Bl!ndf!re
  • Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • xfire:tehlickerer
QUOTE (richmeister @ Sep 13 2009, 05:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this, i just didn't relate to the basterds at all, also the ending was awesome, btw you should spoiler that icon_smile.gif

whoops, fixed

QUOTE (Husky @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A couple of Mutas softened up to the red, a couple of other Mutas softened up to the black, cause they're dead.

QUOTE (slartibartfast of earth @ Sep 28 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ps my disablity in my hands makes my typing crap sry

QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd hit it tbh. Especially if it's dead.

richmeister

richmeister
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts
  • xfire:richmeister6666
QUOTE (Dylantendo @ Sep 17 2009, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I HAVE A BIIINGO!" Lol that guy made me laugh so much.

oscar winning performance imo, that guy stole the movie "wait for the cream" made me laugh. As well as the classic "bonjourno" from Pitt- who was average

Edited by richmeister, 18 September 2009 - 08:14 PM.

techno-ninja

techno-ninja

Best Newcomer 08!

• Retired Staff
  • 3,765 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:techno ninjacus
I really liked the film, the only part i wasn;t to keen on was the fire scene with the woman laughing maniacally, i felt that it was overplayed and didn't really fit in with the rest of the film . Overall top film though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users