Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

• Please log in to reply
362 replies to this topic

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
People laughed at me when I had only art on semeseter in High school. They were like "Well you better get 100%!!!" And I replied. "No, you're fucking stupid. My mark will be whatever it will be because ART is subjective." It's not something where someone likes it, everyone will. It doens't work that way.

I guess I'm just adding to Verruckter now.

Verrückter

Verrückter

Satanic Birthday Boy

• Retired Staff
  • 7,606 posts
  • Interests:Games!
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Jan 8 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People laughed at me when I had only art on semeseter in High school. They were like "Well you better get 100%!!!" And I replied. "No, you're fucking stupid. My mark will be whatever it will be because ART is subjective." It's not something where someone likes it, everyone will. It doens't work that way.

I guess I'm just adding to Verruckter now.

The only way you could grade artistic acheivement is by setting some parameters beforehand. For example, a certain amount of points would be attributed to imitating a certain technique, or a certain aesthetic. Otherwise, the teacher would just be a pretentious bastard who drowns in his own elitism.
"Something tremendously powerful was lost when composers moved away from tonal harmony and regular pulses... Among other things the audience was lost" -John Adams

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Verrückter @ Jan 9 2010, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way you could grade artistic acheivement is by setting some parameters beforehand. For example, a certain amount of points would be attributed to imitating a certain technique, or a certain aesthetic. Otherwise, the teacher would just be a pretentious bastard who drowns in his own elitism.

Composition and quality (not subjective quality thought) are usually the biggest contributers to an art grade.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Verrückter

Verrückter

Satanic Birthday Boy

• Retired Staff
  • 7,606 posts
  • Interests:Games!
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Jan 9 2010, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Composition and quality (not subjective quality thought) are usually the biggest contributers to an art grade.

Yeah, but to evaluate both of these you have to match a certain standard, and by doing so you deliberately choose an elite (work X is better than work Y because it matches the standards better). Therefor it is not an objective evaluation.
"Something tremendously powerful was lost when composers moved away from tonal harmony and regular pulses... Among other things the audience was lost" -John Adams

Bowser Delta

Bowser Delta
  • GA Private
  • 275 posts
  • xfire:acousticme123
  • Steam ID:Bowser Delta
  • Xbox / GFWL:Bowser Delta
  • Gamer Army ID:4491
  • Company:Gamma
Has anyone actually seen this film in 2D and enjoyed it?

From what i have asked ppl about the film there 1st reaction is "Oh yh the 3D is amazing!" which is all well and good coz tbh it was the best use of 3D ive seen BUT, as soon as i said to them "other than the 3D what did you like about it?" they all have the same moment of clarity in which they realise that the film itself wasnt that great.

Yes as other ppl have said there were better films released in 2009 and yes i know ppl arent happy about the Awards situation but in the end, you get what you pay for. For example Transformers 2, did ppl really expect to go in and see a film that's had an AMAZING storyline? No, ppl saw that film because they wanted to see huge robots fighting each other which is exactly what we got. With Avatar i went in knowing that the story would be predictable and already done to death, i could see that from the trailer. I saw Avatar purely for the visual effects which were pretty damn good in my book, if anyone else saw Avatar hoping for a decent storyline then you need to try a film that isnt all about visual effects, if you want a gd storyline then go see Invictus because from what i hear that DOES have a decent story behind it.

Sorry for the rant but i really dont get why people were expecting a lot (excluding the effects) from this film. Sure, it could get nominated for an Oscar but i would say that the nomination would purely be based on the sheer amount of money this thing has raked it because lets face it, that cant be ignored. Even if it does get nominated i highly doubt that it will actually win.

So, basically, i think Verrückter was bang on when he posted this:

QUOTE (Verrückter @ Jan 7 2010, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saw the movie. Here's a short review:

Plot 0/5
Music 0/5
Special effects 20/5

That's pretty much it...

Well done sir, my hat is off to you.

QUOTE (Xayun @ Jun 19 2010, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's all very nice, but how you perceive me doesn't enter much into things because you are absolutely fucking mental

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (Bowser Delta @ Jan 9 2010, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone actually seen this film in 2D and enjoyed it?

From what i have asked ppl about the film there 1st reaction is "Oh yh the 3D is amazing!" which is all well and good coz tbh it was the best use of 3D ive seen BUT, as soon as i said to them "other than the 3D what did you like about it?" they all have the same moment of clarity in which they realise that the film itself wasnt that great.

I saw it in 2D and liked it other than the fact that the whole time I was thinking about how I would have rather seen it in 3D
Give me LoL Referals.

markie_c

markie_c
  • Members
  • 170 posts
QUOTE (Bowser Delta @ Jan 9 2010, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes as other ppl have said there were better films released in 2009 and yes i know ppl arent happy about the Awards situation but in the end, you get what you pay for. For example Transformers 2, did ppl really expect to go in and see a film that's had an AMAZING storyline? No, ppl saw that film because they wanted to see huge robots fighting each other which is exactly what we got. With Avatar i went in knowing that the story would be predictable and already done to death, i could see that from the trailer. I saw Avatar purely for the visual effects which were pretty damn good in my book, if anyone else saw Avatar hoping for a decent storyline then you need to try a film that isnt all about visual effects, if you want a gd storyline then go see Invictus because from what i hear that DOES have a decent story behind it.

Sorry for the rant but i really dont get why people were expecting a lot (excluding the effects) from this film. Sure, it could get nominated for an Oscar but i would say that the nomination would purely be based on the sheer amount of money this thing has raked it because lets face it, that cant be ignored. Even if it does get nominated i highly doubt that it will actually win.

I think it's more the fact that it has been around 16 years in the making. Simply because a film is heavy on the visuals, and a blockbuster, doesn't mean that it can't have interesting characters, or good dialogue. The story is another issue, but I was fine with it. However when someone as talented as Cameron has the chance to create whatever he wants, and he creates something completely mediocre, but then hypes it up as groundbreaking, people will feel let down.

mailedbypostman

mailedbypostman
  • Members
  • 811 posts
Could have done so much more with the story and characters

Walternat0r

Walternat0r
  • Members
  • 524 posts
  • xfire:Walternat0r
  • Interests:Total War games, Half-life games, Nwn games, other games, reading books, yadda yadda yadda.<br /><br />I also like mashed potato and have a signed thingy from Bodger &amp; Badger.
Saw it yesterday in 3D and it was pretty damn gorgeous, though I thought the whole 3D thing, while making it better, wasn't really that amazing.

Story was.. I wouldn't call it bad, just plain meh, ditto with the dialogue, and characters. Much more could have been done in the time, in 3 hours there should have been a lot more to it.
"Here at the Daily Mail, we're racist in public every day, so you don't have to be" - Russell Howard

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
i saw it in both 3d and 2d and i liked it both times.
but thats me.

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
http://autotelic.com...textual_edition

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Jan 14 2010, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is fuckin long...
SOME SOLDIER: I bet that wheelchair is going to be a source of constant difficulty, dramatic tension, and an opportunity to heighten the risk in action scenes.

JUGHEAD: I think you'll be surprised at just how little a role my wheelchair will play in all this.

...but lol.
Give me LoL Referals.

mailedbypostman

mailedbypostman
  • Members
  • 811 posts

A far better version of Avatar.

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan

This explains every problem I had with this movie and reveals a whole bunch of plot holes I missed.
I fucking love whoever wrote this.

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
QUOTE (TheShadowNinja @ Jan 15 2010, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This explains every problem I had with this movie and reveals a whole bunch of plot holes I missed.
I fucking love whoever wrote this.

I would like to meet them.. just to see if it is actually possible to get their head any further up their own arse icon_razz.gif

Second. Worst. Signature. Ever.
Expecting something witty? Herp derp tiddlerp.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
did anyone else notice at the end, the smurfs were armed with human guns? i saw it and moaned because if theres a sequel, im almost certain it will have a degree of 'mankind gave us deadly weapons look at the destruction guns create'
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
QUOTE (Karko @ Jan 15 2010, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to meet them.. just to see if it is actually possible to get their head any further up their own arse icon_razz.gif

Could say the same about James Cameron. pp_smiley11.gif

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

Yozki

Yozki
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • xfire:Yozki
  • Steam ID:Yozki
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Jan 14 2010, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hahaa I read it all, and even though I still think Avatar is a great movie, there was so much potential wasted

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
"Nice."

"Not nice! Bad! Must respect nature!"

"I can literally hear the timer counting down to when you and I get it on."

Yozki

Yozki
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • xfire:Yozki
  • Steam ID:Yozki
JUGHEAD IS TAKEN TO SEE THE MAIN SCIENTIST, RIPLEY

RIPLEY: Hey Jughead, fuck you. Seriously, just... fuck you. Fuck you for being you, for being here, and for everything. Fuck. You.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users