Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Horrible Lag...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Tjharwin

Tjharwin
  • GA Private
  • 509 posts
  • xfire:Tjharwin
  • Interests:Video Games, Music, Piano, Biking, Basketball, Darts, Movies, Anime
  • Steam ID:Tjharwin
  • Wii:1411727041221402
  • Gamer Army ID:3669
  • Company:Gamma
I posted a thread in around April time this year concerning a new PC build project. You'll be happy to know, I finally got round to actually building it! And everything apart from this problem is going fine. Lemme read you my specs, then explain the problem.

2.7ghz Dual Core AMD AM2 Proccessor
500GB Hard drive (+500gb external)
nVidia 9800GT Graphics
4GB 1066HZ RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Right, so I've installed all my games, and I'm having problems with lag. I've got a 54mbps wireless network card installed, so yes, you'd immediately think that was the problem. However, my laptop (which is MUCH more inferior) sat in the exact same spot, if not, further away from the router as to where my PC is now. My laptop had a built in 54mbps wireless card.

It's not a latency problem, my latency on Counter-Strike Source has been seen to go to 15! That's an all-time low for me. In fact, I'm having no problems whatsoever with CSS. The main culprits are Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2 and Battlefield 2. I haven't gotten round to playing UT3 online yet, but I have no reason to suspect the performance would be any better. In these games, my latency isn't THAT bad. I was on a Dutch server on L4D the other day, and my ping was 100. That's still 3 bars signal, and so the game should play fine. Baring in mind I live in the UK. On BF2 tonight, I was on a Sweedish server, getting an average ping of around 68. But it kept saying "Server connection problem" every minute or so, and I could see people jumping around. On L4D and TF2, the same problem occurs, where the game sorta freezes up for 5 seconds, then jumps back into it.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this problem? My laptop is currently in for repairs, I get it back this Thursday. I have reason to believe that it could be an internet problem, as my brother has been complaining about high latency on Xbox Live lately. Nobody is downloading in my house, and I'm not either. I'm very conscience about my latency, and really need this problem fixed. These games are UNPLAYABLE, and after forking out all this money on this rig, I want to play a little more than CS: Source. Wired internet is not a possibility, as there are no phone lines within a fair distance of my bedroom, but the Wi-fi signal comes up as 5 bars on the Windows Vista 'Connect to a network' window.

Speedtest.net results from just now:

Download: 0.66mbps
Upload: 0.67mbps
Ping: 66ms

Last night it was at 1.5, but living in farmland, I've been told this area is limited to around 2.5mbps. Still, when BF2 first came out, people were playing it at much less than that without problems. And like I said, I had no problems with L4D, TF2 or BF2 on my laptop...

#1 Resident Evil Fan

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
How about using a CABLE? Seriously, your laptop and desktop don't have the exact same card, so there raelly is no telling. Your router also might do poor QoS or routing in general..just plug it in via a cable.. and if you can't reach. Get a homeplug set.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Tjharwin

Tjharwin
  • GA Private
  • 509 posts
  • xfire:Tjharwin
  • Interests:Video Games, Music, Piano, Biking, Basketball, Darts, Movies, Anime
  • Steam ID:Tjharwin
  • Wii:1411727041221402
  • Gamer Army ID:3669
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Weiman @ Aug 18 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about using a CABLE? Seriously, your laptop and desktop don't have the exact same card, so there raelly is no telling. Your router also might do poor QoS or routing in general..just plug it in via a cable.. and if you can't reach. Get a homeplug set.

Can't reach. There's only 1 telephone socket upstairs in my house, which is mum and dad's room.
1. They don't want cables running through their room
2. They use it for the telephone.
3. That's reallllyy far away.

A homeplug set may also be out of the question. Seriously, in this corner of my room, I'm using 10 plug sockets, and a number of those often get switched with other appliances such as chargers, my Wii, etc. I don't know much about homeplugs, doing some reading now. Can you give me a bit more info on them possibly?

My router was brand new in March time. It's a quality Netgear router, costing around 80 at the time, and is pretty reliable.

Edited by Tjharwin, 18 August 2009 - 04:40 PM.

#1 Resident Evil Fan

Yozki

Yozki
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • xfire:Yozki
  • Steam ID:Yozki
I have the exact same problem, I get the "Having conection problems" red message on the upper right side on the screen, and I'm connected with a cable, I never really thought it was my ISP / Network because it only happens in L4D and TF2, not in WoW or ventrilo or anything else.

I've just lived with it, but it IS highly annoying when you're in the zone and get frozen por 10 seconds or so.

EDIT: I have Windows 7 64-bit

Edited by Yozki, 18 August 2009 - 05:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users