Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Everquest Ii

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
  • xfire:drippotaku
  • Steam ID:projecktcain
  • Xbox / GFWL:JReele
  • Gamer Army ID:3410
So, I've had a copy of EQII sitting on my game self with a 30-day pass included, but only just now decided to give in and give it a play.

I was... well... addicted to it's predecessor, and I really only bought this one to show that I could without playing it. Is there anyone else in the PP community that still plays? Any comments on the differences between II and the original? Suggestions? Flames?

I'm updating now, so I'll probably be playing for a little while tonight/tomorrow.

Edited by Jaylew, 15 August 2009 - 08:50 PM.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
I was playing it like last week. Its okay but damn its just too much and the leveling is slow unless you can get someone to mentor grind you. If you are way into rp it would be a great game for you.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
I bought it when it first came out, in fact I have the collector's tin. The game fucking sucks. I ended up playing WoW a week later

Note: I was 100% for this and 100% against WoW when they both first came out, and I still quit after a week to play the game I never supported.

Good luck.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Eogris

Eogris
  • Members
  • 874 posts
  • xfire:eogris
  • PSN:Eogris_
  • Wii:0062259758890805
Hey I'm a big supporter of the EQ2 PvP servers. I think it's great fun. Probably the most in-depth game available as far as achievements are concerned. Oh and cadetduke.. EQ2 at release was buggy and unplayable... Try it now to judge it. And since WoW has turned into one long unfunny joke, your best bet is EQ2 until a new game comes around.

The only real problem is it can be frustrating leveling on a PvP server because it is very very competitive. Tons of decked out characters, but once you get a foothold it's easy to level the playing field. As for EQ2 PvE servers I would say it's a fine game if that's what you're into.

If you DO decide to play on a PvP server, I suggest playing on Nagafen. I'm on the Good side and my main character is Eogris.

Edited by Eogris, 14 August 2009 - 10:47 AM.

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
QUOTE (Eogris @ Aug 14 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey I'm a big supporter of the EQ2 PvP servers. I think it's great fun. Probably the most in-depth game available as far as achievements are concerned. Oh and cadetduke.. EQ2 at release was buggy and unplayable... Try it now to judge it. And since WoW has turned into one long unfunny joke, your best bet is EQ2 until a new game comes around.

The only real problem is it can be frustrating leveling on a PvP server because it is very very competitive. Tons of decked out characters, but once you get a foothold it's easy to level the playing field. As for EQ2 PvE servers I would say it's a fine game if that's what you're into.

If you DO decide to play on a PvP server, I suggest playing on Nagafen. I'm on the Good side and my main character is Eogris.

I only play on a PvP server for any and all MMORPGs, that's 90% of the fun for me.

I was playing on Vox as evil, and I'm getting hooked again (especially on the way everything looks, once you manually enable anti aliasing and pump up the settings. I'll just reroll onto Nagafen though, since I didn't have any particular reason to play on any particular server, so I'll go good as Jaylew.

Game seems as fun as the predecessor so far.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

Eogris

Eogris
  • Members
  • 874 posts
QUOTE (Jaylew @ Aug 14 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only play on a PvP server for any and all MMORPGs, that's 90% of the fun for me.

I was playing on Vox as evil, and I'm getting hooked again (especially on the way everything looks, once you manually enable anti aliasing and pump up the settings. I'll just reroll onto Nagafen though, since I didn't have any particular reason to play on any particular server, so I'll go good as Jaylew.

Yea you'll definitely want to switch to Nagafen, its the most populated PvP server. Pretty soon they're transferring all players to the major realms. will help with some population issues. I've never noticed it really.

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
QUOTE (Eogris @ Aug 15 2009, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea you'll definitely want to switch to Nagafen, its the most populated PvP server. Pretty soon they're transferring all players to the major realms. will help with some population issues. I've never noticed it really.

Started a new character, finished with all the starter area stuff before I had to leave this morning. It's nice to actually see other people around, Vox is kind of empty. In three hours I didn't see a single person.

Character name is Jaylew, as if that wasn't obvious.

Well, it looks like I won't be playing tonight for some reason. I guess my Station account is invalid (which is interesting, since I can request the name and password with a result). Won't let me log in.

Goddamnit.

Update: It's awesome that, in order to contact support about my account seemingly vanishing, I have to log in.

Yeah, that's not a stupid system or anything.

Edited by Jaylew, 15 August 2009 - 09:12 PM.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
QUOTE (Jaylew @ Aug 14 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really do enjoy the amount of detail they put into everything, that's a big part of RPGs for me... how much detail they put into it. I love finding easter eggs in the details like in fallout 3.

I've had eq2 since it came out, activated the account to try it when it first came out but at the time really didn't have the internet or computer for it so just shelved it. Now the account has all the veteran rewards hehe. I like the game, but the leveling is very true to EQ nature... one big grind. Once you hit level 20 it slows waaaayyy down. I never did really get the chance to do some instances though. There's a lot of depth to the game it just never got the player base because of the release right around WoW's release and as others said it was very buggy at the start.

Every so often I see them do their "win back promotions" where old accounts get 14-30 days of play for free so if you have an account its a good time to check the game out when they have one going.
The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

MaxDamage

MaxDamage

IRC Awards 2006: Friendliest | i r beefcaek. ph33r me!

• GA Private
  • 3,644 posts
  • xfire:maxdamagus
  • Interests:Rockin', art, gaming, listening to good music, etc...
  • Wii:will rock you
  • Gamer Army ID:108
I found it to be very enjoyable, it's a luxuriously rich environment with a lot of detail; plots that intertwine - good story arcs and so much to do that it's not funny.
It was fun, challenging and engaging when I played it (from beta->release and off-and-on for a bit)

Never cared much for the aesthetic (style), and I feel it's aimed more at people looking for an alternate life than a game.
I don't think anyone can question the commitment of the developers to the EQ title, these people love their game and it shows.

Nothing bad to say about it really, I just prefer my games darker. There's definitely a family-friendly edge to everything, even the 'evil' side.

Edited by MaxDamage, 22 August 2009 - 08:41 PM.

UUr16xn.png
I don't need tattoos to look hard. I AM hard.

JaM3Sd121

JaM3Sd121
  • Members
  • 69 posts
I've been playing eq2 for like 4 years now and I can say honestly it does not require a hardcore lifestyle, IT DID 4 years ago, but they have decreased the amount of experience needed to gain levels, increased quest experience and made quest series very linear where one area in a zone leads you directly to another and eases you into the hardest stuff, (every zone made in the last 2 years features this, all of the RoK and Tso expansion along with darklight wood and some EOF).

I have 4 80s on the pvp server, the pvp is fun but the servers suffer from incredibly bad lag usually when theres more then 40 people fighting near eachother. They recently reduced the amount of time it takes to get a full set of pvp armor at the max level (80) by a huge amount and made it on par with the highest level PVE gear.

The raiding in eq2 is amazing and a lot of fun though this game is 150% different then when you played it on the beta 5 years ago.

heres a pvp video i made a couple months ago if anyones interested in watching classes are a decked out 80 swashbuckler and a 80 inquisitor

http://www.filefront...Milovan-V1.wmv/

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
In my boredom started a trial account to see whats changed. I like the new veteran reward goodies, and leveling seems to be quicker. They've also made several UI improvements and from what I can about the forums SoE seems pretty devout in supporting the game. Going to reactivate my old account in a week. They're also doing a graphics overhaul, upgrading from shader 1.x to 3.0 so will be a huge gain in detail and performance. I'm very excited to get back into eq2.

After scoping out the direction WoW's heading... I've just had enough. Its become a big grind fest with no goodies and a terrible player base (too many kids). They also want to remove what little the depth the game has when it comes to gearing next expansion by simplify already very simple stats.

Another thing I really enjoy about eq2... far less kids/idiots in the game on the whole. And theres just SO MUCH to do in the game. Oh and crafting is actually entertaining, and gathering isn't the worlds biggest pita.

Edited by Sir_Slik, 25 October 2009 - 02:52 PM.

R.I.P. Troy <3

JaM3Sd121

JaM3Sd121
  • Members
  • 69 posts
Personally im getting somewhat sick of the game.

They are pretty much unable to create GOOD items in a good state of itemization, sorry if that doesn't make sense but ill try to explain.

They are making extremely good items out of heroic (6man instances), items that non raiders should not be able to get out of raid zones.

They make high base damage, crit chances, double attacks, spell damage/ca damage way to easy to obtain.

Basically they inflate every item they make with stats so its hard to create unique effects that are good because people don't need them, every expansion they have to add a brand new stat to make it so people HAVE to upgrade armor because what they added 2 expansions ago is still revelant in the end game.

Word is they are adding battlegrounds so hopefully it will be decent..

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • xfire:molimo140
  • Steam ID:steamacct002
  • Xbox / GFWL:molimo140
  • PSN:molimo140
I've played the original Everquest for 8 years. In fact... I still play it on the Macintosh server.

EQ2 is okay. It's not the horrendous mass of casual that World of Warcraft is. Don't get me wrong WoW does many things right, however its cons far outweigh its pros.

I played the beta of EQ2 and I thought it was horrific. Since then the game has changed drastically and it's pretty okay. I can't speak much of the main part of the game because I have only played the trial. I'd like to see what end game raid content is like.

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
Just logged in the other day, bored of every other mmo.

Some annoying bugs that made me leave a while back were fixed, the ui got a sexy update, and the game seems to be doing well. SOE really wants a piece of WoW's pie it seems.

R.I.P. Troy <3

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
  • Interests:FPS.
  • Steam ID:spowis
  • Xbox / GFWL:smpowis
  • PSN:smpowis
  • Rofl-Rupees:0
  • Gamer Army ID:4794
  • Company:Gamma
Isn't this or something closely related going to be free to play soon?

Left_4_Dead_Signature_by_Sitic.png

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
There already sorta is. They call it EQ2: Extended...

I guess its like subscription based minus some features? I never read into it, but it is out now I believe.

R.I.P. Troy <3

Eogris

Eogris
  • Members
  • 874 posts
QUOTE (Sir_Slik @ Oct 6 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just logged in the other day, bored of every other mmo.

Some annoying bugs that made me leave a while back were fixed, the ui got a sexy update, and the game seems to be doing well. SOE really wants a piece of WoW's pie it seems.

not sure how well the game is doing, they had to offer a f2p version to spark interest. SOE always wanted a piece of WoW's pie, but now it seems they just want the game to stay afloat. costs too much money for me to subscribe (new expansion 3 or so months it seems lol)

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Spowis @ Oct 6 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't this or something closely related going to be free to play soon?

There's a topic regarding that halfway down the first page

Edited by Xayun, 06 October 2010 - 05:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users