Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

District 9

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

Phr3quency

Phr3quency
  • GA Private
  • 717 posts
  • xfire:tmzaied22
  • Interests:Gaming, Hardware, PC mods, Building PCs Music, Fitness, Photography/Photoshop, American Football
  • Gamer Army ID:2387
QUOTE (lawlerer @ Aug 26 2009, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Easily the strangest movie I've ever seen. I wasn't very happy with it during the middle. I also missed the first 5 minutes or so. I don't know, it just left me like WTF?

I am someone who can enjoy plot, a lot more than action. Unfortunately, this movie left me enjoying the action much more so than the plot. The plot was just...I don't know it made me mad.

I felt the same way when I left. The action was mediocre at best in my opinion, sometimes it just felt too over the top. However, the blood spatters on the camera made me lol every time. Divergently, the plot did NOT leave me wanting more. I found myself identifying with Wikus more, and could care less about the Aliens. The movie does a poor job to make any of them likeable other than Chris and his little boy, while it spends most of its time making the viewer have a personal connection to Wikus and his pitiful bumbling self. The ending for me was unsatisfying because this unwitting hero, basically the savior of the prawns got completely screwed.
:[Brodiator- Lightning's Blade]:

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

JESUS CHRIST I AM SO FUCKING DRUNK!

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:150
  • Company:Nu
QUOTE (Phr3quency @ Aug 28 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I felt the same way when I left. The action was mediocre at best in my opinion, sometimes it just felt too over the top. However, the blood spatters on the camera made me lol every time. Divergently, the plot did NOT leave me wanting more. I found myself identifying with Wikus more, and could care less about the Aliens. The movie does a poor job to make any of them likeable other than Chris and his little boy, while it spends most of its time making the viewer have a personal connection to Wikus and his pitiful bumbling self. The ending for me was unsatisfying because this unwitting hero, basically the savior of the prawns got completely screwed.

Congratulations, you are a terrible person and completely misunderstood the movie.
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (Pwnstar @ Aug 28 2009, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congratulations, you are a terrible person and completely misunderstood the movie.

darkhen

darkhen
  • Members
  • 1,057 posts
  • xfire:darkhen
  • Interests:Bang Bang Bang<br /><br />Banging people<br />
Loved this movie. ;D

The sad thing is if Aliens did come to earth, this is what situation would most likely arise.

]

Pwnage101

Pwnage101
  • GA Sergeant
  • 2,133 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1080
  • Company:Alpha
QUOTE (darkhen @ Aug 28 2009, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Loved this movie. ;D

The sad thing is if Aliens did come to earth, this is what situation would most likely arise.

no offense to any one but thats what would happen over there .... in africa... Here in canada im sure things would be a little nicer for the prawns hell we have a shit ton of farm land they could use.

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_
Give them some cotton fields and such.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
I just got back from seeing this movie.

All I can say is, wow. It's probably one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Early on I was worried, because the metaphor seemed pretty thin. Luckily, it was pulled off incredibly well. The documentary style that was used for much of it was very effective, and the character development was fantastic. The contrast shown between how most of the humans viewed the aliens, and how the aliens actually were, was very interesting.

For me, a sign that it was very well done is that the action and sci-fi elements didn't take away from the story, and integrated perfectly into it.

I would definitely see this movie again, and would recommend it.

Edit:
One thing I found very interesting about the film;
Using Wikus to demonstrate how easily swayed we are against things by the media. He clearly wasn't a bad guy, and yet, thanks to two decades of being told the prawn were inferior creatures and all that, he was completely willing to be a dick to them. It was only when the illusion was shattered and he realized he'd been lied to about them that he was able to rid himself of his bias.
The real life parallels that could be drawn are pretty shocking. Just think about when any force in the middle east that isn't completely pro-American is villainized.

Edited by TubularLuggage, 29 August 2009 - 10:23 PM.

IPB Image

sG Core asheS

sG Core asheS
  • Banned
  • 573 posts
hands down one of the best movies i have ever seen in my whole life.
better than starwars (the old ones icon_biggrin.gif)
I'm Teh Best Mayne...I Deed It!! Eli
Leader of Eur Gunna Lose Gaming. [egL]
Watch It!

Fin

Fin
  • Members
  • 1,347 posts
hands down one of the best movies i have ever seen in my whole life.
better than starwars (the old ones)

Heretic !!!

Someone contact the Spanish Inquisition...

sG Core asheS

sG Core asheS
  • Banned
  • 573 posts
better!
I'm Teh Best Mayne...I Deed It!! Eli
Leader of Eur Gunna Lose Gaming. [egL]
Watch It!

Champski

Champski
  • Members
  • 1,241 posts
  • xfire:champski
  • Interests:drumming, gaming, lazing around
Saw this movie a couple nights ago. Best movie of the year for me so far. Loved the story, can't wait to see if they follow the story up or if they'll leave us with a bunch of questions.

I liked that Wikus started as a prick and as the movie went he eventually saw how things were and befriended the aliens.

I also found that this was the first movie in a while for me that actually had some impact, and was actually quite disturbing in some parts. For example, when they're getting Wikus to test the weapons and they bring in a live alien to see the effects. That bit I found very disturbing because it showed what was really going on and had a lot of impact for me.

As well as that, when Wikus escapes the people running D9 with the weapons, blowing everyone away with the sonic gun, and when the mech lodges a grenade in big boss dudes head and kaboom. Oh and everytime someone gets instagibbed with the lightning gun. Fuckin' craaaaaaaazy.

All in all it was a sensational movie for me, seriously well done.

Walternat0r

Walternat0r
  • Members
  • 524 posts
  • xfire:Walternat0r
  • Interests:Total War games, Half-life games, Nwn games, other games, reading books, yadda yadda yadda.<br /><br />I also like mashed potato and have a signed thingy from Bodger &amp; Badger.
Just got back from seeing the film. I thought it was good, but i'm still mulling it over in my head so yet to settle on a definate "good" or "fucking A" verdict. I think that, 'cause it's basically set itself up for a sequel that I really want to know more, I hate loose ends icon_razz.gif

I definately liked the sort of documentary style for the first half (ish?), definately gave it a more realistic feel. Also liked the concept of the MNU. Be interesting (and not in a good way) if something like that comes about. An all encompassing multi-national company sort of thing, quite sobering though really imo.

I'd have liked a bit more background into the Prawns though, obviously there wasn't time to do it as quite a lot happened as it is, but although you got a good lot of Christopher Johnson, you didn't get much of the Prawns in general.

Oh, and the comparisons with the Apartheid regime were pretty good. Easy to forget how brutal that era was.

4/5 i'd give it, definately worth a watch.

"Here at the Daily Mail, we're racist in public every day, so you don't have to be" - Russell Howard

Mantrousse

Mantrousse

It's not a thing, G!

• Global Mods - GA Major
  • 3,450 posts
  • xfire:mantrousse
  • Xbox / GFWL:Mantrousse
  • Gamer Army ID:2055
  • Company:Gamma
Awesome film. One of my favourites in recent years.

smile.gif

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
I like how the documentary style was used so purposefully. Without changing the tone within the documentary segments themselves.
(Spoiler maybe)

The developments in the story itself really changed how the audience received the documentary segments. At the start they seemed charming and informative. Then they transitioned to unnerving, and by the end, it was clear that the people speaking were full of shit. It did a great job showing how documentaries aren't automatically shining beacons of truth. They can be very inaccurate, and completely biased.

I really hope they don't make a sequel. It works so much better with the ambiguous ending.
IPB Image

markie_c

markie_c
  • Members
  • 170 posts
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Sep 10 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like how the documentary style was used so purposefully. Without changing the tone within the documentary segments themselves.
(Spoiler maybe)

The developments in the story itself really changed how the audience received the documentary segments. At the start they seemed charming and informative. Then they transitioned to unnerving, and by the end, it was clear that the people speaking were full of shit. It did a great job showing how documentaries aren't automatically shining beacons of truth. They can be very inaccurate, and completely biased.

I really hope they don't make a sequel. It works so much better with the ambiguous ending.

Completely agree. I thought the representation of the aliens was great too. In the documentary it made them out to be comically pathetic and sometimes frustratingly annoying, but in the end you realised they were merely helpless victims.

I also agree about a sequel. Not all films have to have every arc completed, every story finished, and everything resolved in a nice pretty picture. If they make a few sequels it'll end up like The Matrix.

rugmonkey

rugmonkey
  • Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • xfire:rugmonkey
Going to see this today. Hope it is made of win.

Edit: Movie was awesome really liked it. Made me leave on a bit of a downer due to the parallels with things going on at the moment.

Edited by rugmonkey, 12 September 2009 - 01:57 PM.

Rugmonkey
Crap IT HR
We are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.
"Starcraft is one of man's greatest inventions. It's somewhere between penicillin and the flushing toilet"-Tasteless

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
  • xfire:cky852k
  • Steam ID:cky852k
  • Xbox / GFWL:jojo852k
  • PSN:jojo852k
  • Gamer Army ID:153
  • Company:Gamma
omg. fucking loved it. awesome film definitely best seen in a while.

whenever wikus said "fuck" (which is alot lol) he sounded scouse. haha. awesome performance.

freeze

freeze
  • Members
  • 2,695 posts
  • xfire:FreezerFlame
  • Interests:StarCraft<br />Game Design<br />Video Editing
  • Steam ID:Nettown8
  • PSN:FrEeZing
QUOTE (Pwnage101 @ Aug 28 2009, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no offense to any one but thats what would happen over there .... in africa... Here in canada im sure things would be a little nicer for the prawns hell we have a shit ton of farm land they could use.
Seriously, man of all the places they could have landed, they had the misfortune of landing in South Africa.

But it was great way of showing how the Prawn were considered worse off than the lower half of our human social ladder.

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Amazing film.

I love how they took this complete prat...He wasn't malicious or anything, just a bit of an idiot (and a bit simple too) and turned him into a hero.

Cure

Cure
  • Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • Steam ID:Cure_IMR
QUOTE (Pwnstar @ Aug 26 2009, 05:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Whitebread Wikus is instantly demonized for allegedly having sex with an alien, but society shrugs its shoulders and takes it as a given when black people do it.

Some of what you said I agree with but most I don't especially this sentence. You seem to have forgotten that he's demonized and broadcasted all over the news because he's worth so much in science, saying he had sexual relationship with an alien was just an excuse to cover up the truth. So I can't see how you can compare him to others who did have sexual relationships with aliens. Not to mention no one who had sexual relationships with an alien never started to transform. I can see you were just pointing out the racism but there wasn't any in this case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users