Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Huge HDD Failures?

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Komet

Komet

PPFA 2006: Best HW&SW teh_overclockerer

• GA Corporal
  • 9,425 posts
  • xfire:theredkomet
  • Wii:7734541838954115
  • Gamer Army ID:128
I'm in the market for some new drives, and I have heard many rumors surrounding the 100gig+ HDDs. I have been told that they do not last long due to the methods that they use to physically store the data. Is this at all true?

I was wondering if anyone has used a large HDD for an extended period of time (possibly over 12 months?) without any trouble. I'd rather not like a HDD failure, not that I don't backup my stuff, but that I would at least like one HDD to last the lifespan of the comp it goes into (about 4-5 years).

evol262

evol262

MotM Dec 2005 teh_burninator / Keeping n00bs at bay

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
  • xfire:evol262
  • Gamer Army ID:548
Generally, all hard drive nowadays are crap. Your best bet is to find one with a 3 year warranty, as the ones with a one year warranty tend to fail just after that.

Big hard drives are just like small hard drives, really, the difference is just the number of platters.

One HDD -might- last the life of a computer, particularly if you only have one, and decent cooling, but I wouldn't expect it unless you get a SCSI drive.

mikeyyy

mikeyyy
  • Members
  • 736 posts
Also I think larger HDDs are actually a tiny bit faster due to the way the data is physically stored, they're closer together or something. I have no idea about lifespans though, but I can say my seagate (80gig sata 8meg cache, the first sata model) has been running for over 2 years now without a hitch.

Batman12Fish

Batman12Fish
  • Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • xfire:b12f
Seagates a good make... How's WD?

Starblaiz

Starblaiz

Here comes the sun!

• Global Mods - GA Brig. Genereral
  • 5,287 posts
  • Interests:Games (obviously :P ), Programming, Physics (especially Astrophysics)
  • Steam ID:virus52
  • Gamer Army ID:225
  • Company:Gamma
well, it's only a 30gb one i have, but my WD drive has lasted forever lol. it was like 6 years old when i had it, and ive had it 3 years myself now! dont worry, I have an 80gb sata hdd as my main one icon_wink.gif just use the wd drive for storage.

Komet

Komet

PPFA 2006: Best HW&SW teh_overclockerer

• GA Corporal
  • 9,425 posts
  • xfire:theredkomet
  • Wii:7734541838954115
  • Gamer Army ID:128
What about a 160gig WD? I'm pretty sure that an 80gig would last long enough, but double that much storage wouldn't cost much more.

Danoli3

Danoli3

MotM Sept 2006 | teh_artchiverer | PP Lifetime Achievement Award

• GA Sergeant
  • 6,760 posts
  • xfire:Danoli3
  • Interests:Natalie, Pure Pwnage, Games, Programming, Animation, Music, Movies
  • Steam ID:Danoli3
  • Xbox / GFWL:Danolium
  • Wii:1622774217920323
  • Gamer Army ID:9
  • Company:Pi
mine just died.

Then I fixed it. Accessed the files all kool.

Then windows fucked it up and deleted half the files.
Including ep 2,3,4,5, of my pp collection.

Lucky I have a PP backup DVD! lol

Starblaiz

Starblaiz

Here comes the sun!

• Global Mods - GA Brig. Genereral
  • 5,287 posts
  • Interests:Games (obviously :P ), Programming, Physics (especially Astrophysics)
  • Steam ID:virus52
  • Gamer Army ID:225
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Komet)
What about a 160gig WD?  I'm pretty sure that an 80gig would last long enough, but double that much storage wouldn't cost much more.

wow... 0_0 just wow. didnt know they were going so cheap! i got my current SATA 80gb for about double that... tho that was like a year ago... whoa. American stuff is so cheap. we pay double for it over here in the UK! linky

t3256

t3256
  • Members
  • 702 posts
Man if you think thats cheap your crazy you can get a 350 gig hd 7500 rpm for around 90$ us. Thats not for a seagate or anything but i dont really care for a performance hard drive add to the fact i dont know what the difference is so yea.
user posted image

Anonymous1c4

Anonymous1c4
  • Members
  • 2,071 posts
How do your HDDs die? I've never had an hdd die....the only way it died was because of it being physically fucked up (i broke a pin on my 300 GB HDD...that fucking pissed me off so much...hopefully, i can trade it in for a new one :/). I've had recent problems though.....although, i'm not sure if its harddrive problems, heatsink problems, or power supply problems...

WARNING: A bit off topic

It could be harddrive problems because whenever i tried installing distros of linux like Mandriva or Zenwalk (Slackware based), i would get a shit load of package problems even knowing i downloaded the isos more than once just to make sure it wasn't downloading problems...not to mention, i burned the isos on seperate computers...

It could be heatsink problems because whenever i try to extract a whole bunch of data at one time (meaning like Steam folders and 1.8 GIG folders) the computer either freezes or crashes (like......completely turn off crash). Also, when i try to set the clock speed to normal (1600), it crashes much more frequently....Right now its on 1200 icon_sad.gif

It could be power supply because when i was extracting the large folders, the power supply fan's air was abnormaly warm.....even when i'm not doing anything its abnormaly warm...and since i'm more UNDER clocked rather than overclocked, it shouldn't be this warm.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (Anonymous1c4)
How do your HDDs die? I've never had an hdd die....the only way it died was because of it being physically fucked up (i broke a pin on my 300 GB HDD...that fucking pissed me off so much...hopefully, i can trade it in for a new one :/). I've had recent problems though.....although, i'm not sure if its harddrive problems, heatsink problems, or power supply problems...

WARNING: A bit off topic

It could be harddrive problems because whenever i tried installing distros of linux like Mandriva or Zenwalk (Slackware based), i would get a shit load of package problems even knowing i downloaded the isos more than once just to make sure it wasn't downloading problems...not to mention, i burned the isos on seperate computers...

It could be heatsink problems because whenever i try to extract a whole bunch of data at one time (meaning like Steam folders and 1.8 GIG folders) the computer either freezes or crashes (like......completely turn off crash). Also, when i try to set the clock speed to normal (1600), it crashes much more frequently....Right now its on 1200 icon_sad.gif

It could be power supply because when i was extracting the large folders, the power supply fan's air was abnormaly warm.....even when i'm not doing anything its abnormaly warm...and since i'm more UNDER clocked rather than overclocked, it shouldn't be this warm.

I occured the same problem when I first built my PC, I'm 99% sure it's your HDD.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

evol262

evol262

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
Power supply doesn't get warmer when you're doing stuff.

Try using a minimalistic LiveCD (Damn Small, Puppy, Gentoo install CD). Linux/BSD will keep running when the HD craps out, but if you see a ton of DMA errors scrolling by on the console, you have an HD problem (whihc is probably what it is). You could also have a problem with your Southbridge and DMA transfers, screwing up your ATAPI transfers.

Anti-Camper

Anti-Camper
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • xfire:anticamper86
  • Interests:computers
well i think that realy a hard drive is a hard drive. but depends on the use.

i recently threw down almost 400$ american on a 500 gig drive. it is by far "THE" fastest drive i have owned. but as far as problems, i had one windows related screw up but system restore fixed that. but do some research on "S.M.A.R.T." . its a technology thats sposed to warn you if your drive is gonna fail. as for brands i like seagate and the 500 gig is a hitachi, both very good brands. as far as western digital, they are hit and miss. there 80 gig special edition is rock solid cause i got one of those. maxtor some people swear by, but me personaly, i swear at them. the one drive i had die on me was a maxtor. also look at samsung, they are likemakin a name for themselves in computer monitors. they have an lcd that is unbeatable for the price. they are makin there way around.

basicly it will end up bein personal prefrence though. you will want 7200rpm no matter what.
as for type, you will have to match it to your board(sata is perfered).
as for cache : more = better
and as for letency/seek time, lower is better.

basicly any drive you get for iuno anything between 120-300 gigs you will want :

7200 rpm
8-16 megs of cache
as for latency 4.2ms or anything lower is nice
and seek time you want anywhere around 8.9, lower the better

these are a few tips i hope will help you out. have you anymore questions, pm me or get ahold of me.
IPB Image ( /)
(o.0)
(> <)
( )-( )

Anonymous1c4

Anonymous1c4
  • Members
  • 2,071 posts
QUOTE (evol262)
Power supply doesn't get warmer when you're doing stuff.

Try using a minimalistic LiveCD (Damn Small, Puppy, Gentoo install CD). Linux/BSD will keep running when the HD craps out, but if you see a ton of DMA errors scrolling by on the console, you have an HD problem (whihc is probably what it is). You could also have a problem with your Southbridge and DMA transfers, screwing up your ATAPI transfers.

hmm...i don't recall seeing DMA errors...i probably have but don't remember...

[PREPARE FOR A LONG STORY]

The first signs showing that my PC was becoming rather unstable, was when i tried installing a Slackware based distro called "Zenwalk". Everytime i installed it i would get so many freaking installpkg errors and they were mainly the IMPORTANT files, like the kernel, X11, and GLIBC. People told me that it was the iso and i should've done a md5 check...i thought that was bullshit...mainly because i downloaded zenwalk again ON A SEPERATE COMPUTER, and i burned it at a slower speed just in case... Still got the same bullshit. Then i noticed Windows was starting to get rather screwy.... If i made some significant changes in Counter Strike: Source, my PC would just crash (like changing the resolution to the one higher than 800 by 600). Then i tried installing Mandriva 2005 LE. I got VERY similar package errors as Zenwalk did. I did the same thing, by downloading it again on a diffrent computer this time with the DVD iso....and still...the same bullshit. So after giving that crap up, i decided to install this game called Silkroad, sinc i was board... Unfortunately, i forgot how little space i had left on the Windows partition and about half way through the install the PC crashed....i couldn't delete folders through the repair console for some gay reason....and when ever i tried to repair Windows through the other repair (where it deletes system files and reinstalls them) it failed....when it was installing the other system files and configuring, it would freeze or blue screen...in the blue screen it would mention something about NTFS.sys. I don't know how a File system could've fucked up an installation but whatever. I also gave up on installing Zenwalk since it would never install the packages...plus, it would sometimes give me bullshit errors like "<0>Kernel Panic", "Segmentation Fault", or if there were no installpkg errors, it would just randomly freeze up about %75 through installation. Thats when i decided to bust out my old 4 GB harddrive from my old e-machines. Thats when it got REALLY frightning.....Zenwalk still would not install correctly. Windows wouldn't install correctly either...i was assuming it was because of a tiny harddrive. Thats when i decided to bust out Slax 5.0.6...

I was using Slax for a bit since i was aggrivated at not having my own PC (i was using my bro's laptop for a while). And after i finally thought all my problems would go away since i wasn't using a HDD anymore, i was let down by more...errors... A few times when i started X in slax it would freeze up when its loading all the stuff. I thought it was probably because of some extra modules i burned on the CD. So...i burned another one without the extra modules and it froze right when it got into KDE. So, i fucked around in the bios setting and instead of setting the erm.....umm.....i think it was the FSB or something detection thingy.... Instead of having it on "By SPD" i had it on "Auto" which seemed to help. I was able to do stuff in Slax by then.....then i tried installing it on the HDD for temporary use...just to find that it would freeze up....at around %75 through installation.....what.........the........fuck.......

So, I said "fuck this i'm going to try getting my 80 GB HDD to work again" which was the one i was experiencing the first problems. I tried installing Zenwalk AGAIN so i could extract the important files from Windows then try reformatting Windows to see if it would work...At first, the installation of Zenwalk wouldn't work because about %75 through it would freeze or just stop installing, as if the DVD-ROM drive was just dead.... But i realized, that i didn't have to start the installation from the beginning everytime it fucked up....Since Slackware installations are cool to have it so you can skip formatting and go straight to installing packages, i decided i would just target the partition i wanted the files to install, choose not to format, and select the files that weren't already installed. And it worked.... I got the main data from Windows...reformatted...and it worked...

which is how i'm typing this right now...on Windows....However, the computer still remains a bit unstable, as i mentioned in my earlier post.

I think its also important to mention that the 80 GB harddrive is SATA....the 4 GB harddrive is IDE.

evol262

evol262

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
Sounds like your IDE controller/DMA channels are dying. If you start in console mode, does it take forever on HDA (or whatever)? Have you tried running Slax from a USB key? How 'bout running memtest86?

pisforpwn

pisforpwn
  • Members
  • 108 posts
  • xfire:sgeneralgrievous
  • Interests:Computers, Science, Math.....
I have a 250gig a couple actually and i have had them for about a year or so....I see and hear no sign of decay at all. It really depends on the drive, Maxtor obviously usually fails the quickest its the fastest basically but the worst in hd anyway, then there's WD - its not bad pretty medium through what i have seen and obviously seagate has been the best for me
my 250 is a seagate and i have a few western digitals....all are doing pretty well. (2 sata and one IDE)
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed... A few people cried... Most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita; Vishnu is trying to persuade the prince that he should do his duty, and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form, and says, "Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another. -Robert Oppenheimer-

stabhappy

stabhappy
  • Banned
  • 5,345 posts
  • xfire:101headshotcruiser
  • Interests:Computing<br />Gaming<br />Music/Guitar<br /><br />http://myspace.com/maffuwilliams
what a dickhead.
Core2Duo e6400@3.2GHZ, 42C | GigaByte DS3 Rev2 @1.6FSB. | 2GB Gskill DDR2-800
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda | 7600GT | OCZ GameXStream 600W 72A psu | Antec 900 | Tuniq Tower 120
Servage.net</a> (Available worldwide. Huge usage limits.)

Deadude

Deadude
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • xfire:deadude
well i work at a security store so we sell shit loads of HDD's firstly hitachi = shite worst things ever we have to rma so many of them every month maxtor/seagates are generally pretty good we have maybe 1 or 2 fail out of 100 western digital we've had quite a lot of those fail but tbh i havnt seen any come in for a while now so i think we stopped ordering them tbh we have had a few samsungs and none of them have ever gone down not that i know of anyway. Also personally ive had several HDD's die but most of them are over 4 years old
IPB Image

TEH PuBLIK ENEMI

TEH PuBLIK ENEMI
  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • xfire:retardlad
  • Xbox / GFWL:Xx Blooddrunken
i have a 160 samsung

had some problems but mostly user errors

works fine though

edit: not a WD, but a samsung

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (stabhappy @ Feb 8 2007, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what a dickhead.

Yeah, cause using the search function really makes you an idiot...

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users