Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Workout/general Health Megathread

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
265 replies to this topic

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
So it has been about a year since i wrote the original Megathread on this subject and during that time my opinions on certain things have changed, training style has been improved and overall general knowledge is much higher. I am going to have some free time over the next few days so i have decided to rewrite this and hopefully get it better laid out and give more knowledge with less words, and also throw in some personal tidbits aswell.

Part 1: Diet

Yes this section is again Part 1, this is because DIET IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART.

Not only will a great solid diet help you in the gym, it will also help you out of it in every aspect of your life, Now is the time to start being on a proper diet regardless if you are training or not.

Now to keep things simple there are three main places that your daily calories will come from. Protein, Carbohydrates, Fats. With these three building blocks your body completes a lot of its functions, but if you are in this thread you are probably looking to be building some lean mass and dropping some fat aswell. It is very important to know that not all proteins, fats, and carbs are created equal.

When looking at fats you have Have your typical good ones, IE monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and your omegas. Then you have your saturated fats which get a really bad reputation, but in IMO and many others it is perfectly fine and infact raises Good Cholesterol more than it does bad. And lastley you have your Trans Fats AVOID these at all costs (watch out for fried foods and hydrogenated oils).

When looking at carbohydrates you pretty much have your Whole Grains vs Refined Grains, my general rule of thumb here is stay away from any of those white refined grains, you dont need them and play your insulin like a fiddle. But choosing Whole Grains you will be getting more vitamins/minerals and fibre than you would from the refined grains.

And again to end it, a list of good sources of these 3 building blocks

Fats:
* Egg Yolk
* Pretty much any kind of nut
* Nut Butters
* Fatty Fish
* Olive oil
* Fish oil

Good Carbs
* Oats
* Beans
* Potatoes
* Rice (preferably brown or whole grain)
* Pasta (again stay away from refined white pasta)
* Bread (once again stay away from refined white bread)
* Lettuce
* Spinach
* Brussels Sprouts
* Cauliflower
* Celery
* Asparagus
* Cucumber
* Green or Red Pepper
* Onions
* Garlic
* Tomatoes
* Zucchini
* Broccoli
* Bananas
* Apples
* Strawberries
* Grapefruit

Protein:

* Eggs
* Lamb
* Organ Meats
* Chicken
* Beef
* Turkey
* Pork
* Tuna
* Protein Powders

QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Feb 4 2010, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Seth can you add this to your diet section on the front page please!

Alcohol and Body Building

I just thought I’d inform people how drinking can affect muscle gain as this is a touchy subject and many of you will probably be wondering.

You probably have a good assumption to the answer of this question. Does Alcohol effect muscle gain? Simply, yes – yes it does. Depending on your weekly/monthly consumption you’re gains can be harmed to completely ruined. Here’s why.

-Testosterone Levels:
A single night of binge drinking can decrease testosterone levels for up to 24hours. Continuous partying and binge drinking will result in a permanent decrease. For those that are unaware testosterone is the most important muscle-building hormone in your body! It is also important to note that excessive drinking can lead to higher levels of estrogen in the body leading to some lovely man boobs/smaller testes/more body fat/ and decreased fertility.

-Protein Synthesis:
Studies have shown that excessive alcohol consumption slows down the process of protein synthesis by up to 22%. Muscles are made up of protein so slowing down this process can be detrimental to your gains.

-Dehydration:
This applies to those more uneducated to the effects of drinking. During a night of drinking your kidneys will use a substantial amount of the body’s water to break down the alcohol. Staying hydrated is one of the keys to muscle gain. If you are going to be drinking I recommend steady water consumption throughout the night.

-The next day at the Gym:
It has been proven that alcohol consumption 48 hours before exercise greatly effects the persons level of strength, focus, reaction time and hand-eye coordination. If you want to lift well you should not consume alcohol 48hrs prior to working out.

-Vitamin and Mineral Depletion:
Alcohol will cause your body to drain many important Vitamin and Minerals at a rapid rate. Being properly nourished aids in muscle growth and maintenance.

-Weight Gain:
Alcohol is simply empty calories, you are not getting much for how much you’re putting in your body. The more you consume the more fat your body will eventually store. Alcohol is calorie dense. While this shouldn’t be on the top of your list of worries, it still has a negative impact on gains.

My Recommendation:
The best thing you can do for your body is to stop drinking. However, while you’re young you do want to have fun every now and then. Drinking is inevitable for many. If you can stop cold turkey – that’s great, however for those that are going to continue here’s some tips:

+Limit binge drinking to once a month:
Pick the correct night to drink! You should not be consuming alcohol on a weekly basis. To get the least amount of impact on your body you should try to limit yourself to 4-5 drinks a month.

+Nourish yourself before heading out:
Remember to drink plenty of water during the night and eat a big meal full of good vitamins/nutrients/fat/proteins . At least you can lessen the harmful effects.

+Don’t drink and head to the gym the next day:
If possible drink the night before your rest day. You’ll be less productive at the gym the next day if you decide the drink the night before.

Personal Tidbit:
When putting your diet together i highly recommend doing 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day compared to the usual 3 big meals.
Also do not skips meals doing that will not make you lose weight quicker. You need to eat food regularly to lose weight

Alright, so on to the next important, and may i say the most fun part.

Part 2: Training

WHUTTT?? I am looking to build muscle, how is training not more important than diet??

The answer too that question is, If you train and give your body inadequate food then most of what you're doing will be in vain.

Before you start training you are going to want to build yourself a Workout Program and do some reading on how to perform the exercises correctly so you don't injure yourself. For a lot of the lifts i will recommend you can find good detailed guides here - http://stronglifts.com/

I am a big believer in doing full body compound lifts, they will make your strength increase dramatically and help you pack on the muscle. The main lifts that i think everyone should incorporate into their programs and they are as follows, Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Pullups, Dips, and Barbell Rows. These lifts get most of your body into the action and will help you get Hy0ge fast.

Typically what people do when making a Workout Program is splitting up the days into Muscle groups

Back/Biceps
Chest/Triceps
Legs
Shoulders

All you really need is 4 one hour sessions a week. Not really hard to find 4 free hours now is it?

So get to putting together your workout plans and learning how to lift properly!!

Personal Tidbit:

I personally do a lot more compound movements then isolation and rarely do any straight up abs/arm workouts because alot of the exercises you will be doing incorporate those muscles groups. I will go into more detail about my workouts later.

Part 3: Supplements

Alright so this is where most of my opinions have changed since last time, either threw personal experience or doing a lot more research.

The only supplements I really recommend are a Multivitamin/Mineral, Fish Oil, Some type of Protein (if you feel you need the extra protein) and for some people Creatine. Pretty much everything else on the market is going to be a waste of your time and money and can cause some health problems, (Roids and prohormones do work and can be done safely if you know what you are doing, I do not endorse them and will not help you with them. I just hate the stigma people give to them).

Again as with food you have to make sure that the quality you are getting is good and healthy.

With Multivitamin spending more money does not ensure a better product, in face some of the cheaper ones are the best rated products in terms of where the vitamins come from and their ability to be absorbed by your body.

With fish oil you are going to want to find something with a good amount of Omega 3s (I prefer the straight fluid form over the capsules), uses fresh caught fish (not farmed fist) and is free contaminants IE PCBs, Mercury, and others.

When it comes to protein there is just way to much too choose from, and what you pick really has a lot to do with you as a person, IE your budget, type of protein and any food allergies. The tried, tested, and true protein for people in this field is Whey Protein, relatively cheap, good tasting, many flavours, but if you have any problems with dairy i would recommend not going this route (will go into a personal story later). If you are looking for a more natural or vegan friendly type protein there is Pea Protein, Rice Protein and Hemp Protein all of which are complete proteins but will vary in cost depending on which way you go.

If you are looking for recommendations for any supplements feel free to ask me but i will not plug any here.

Personal Tidbit:
I have personally tried many things out on the market today. Everything from creatine, to nitric oxide, to BCAAs. In the general scheme of these i find these items not worth it at all, costs too much money and didn't really notice anything in the way of gains.

My Recommendation for supplements is simple, the only thing i take is Cod Liver Oil.

Now for some more personal stuff about my training and diet.

Part 4: About

So my name is Seth, i am a 20 year old male and after being quite sick throughout my earlier years have sought out healthy lifestyle and i want to bring it to others aswell.

When it comes to eating i try to prepare everything i eat myself, the fresher the better. I try to go with local organic foods when i can, and if not i will settle for the next best. I personally haven't eaten at a fast food restaurant like McDonalds in over a year (except once on vacation i got a grilled chicken snack wrap OH NOES).
Also another interesting thing is since i have come back home in late april i havent used a Microwave Oven, i can talk about that if people want me to later xD.

So my daily diet consists of usually about six meals a day, sometimes more.

Meal 1 - Eggs (Raw or Cooked), Spinach, Meat (Fatty Meat), Cheese

Meal 2 - Organic Apple, Brazil Nuts, Pumpkin Seeds/Flax Seeds

Meal 3 - Sometype of Meat with Veggies

Meal 4 - Meat and Veggies Again icon_smile.gif

PreWO - Banana

PostWO - Raw Whole Milk Kefir and Bone Broth

Meal 6 - Blueberries, Avocado, Almonds, Walnuts, Kefir

My Typical Training Split

See www.stronglifts.com

If you have any other questions FEEL FREE TO ASK

Edited by Beefcake, 04 February 2010 - 05:10 PM.

Removed. - The Colonel

Extracheez

Extracheez
  • Members
  • 1,042 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:xExtracheeZx
Yeah so I'm a measly 129 pounds, been working out for a while and I decided to step it up a notch, I just bought this shit:

http://www.fourbody....tein-blend.html

But its instructions as to when to consume are non-existent... so, when do I drink this stuff?

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
Sorry this thread was not meant to be posted yet, i was playing around with it yesterday and doing post previews and kept getting internal 500 errors, not sure why its hear, but i will go over your question after work.
Removed. - The Colonel

#CaMer0n

#CaMer0n

GA Corporal

• Banned
  • 5,279 posts
  • xfire:Bag
  • Interests:skating
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dip
  • PSN:Tea
  • Wii:Lift
  • Gamer Army ID:214
QUOTE (Extracheez @ Jun 30 2009, 05:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah so I'm a measly 129 pounds, been working out for a while and I decided to step it up a notch, I just bought this shit:

But its instructions as to when to consume are non-existent... so, when do I drink this stuff?

Every morning? while working out

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
QUOTE (Extracheez @ Jun 30 2009, 05:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Recommended to take 10-20 minutes after you finish training, or whenever if you feel you need it.

Also updated first post.
Removed. - The Colonel

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
This is how I eat:

Part 2 is about excercise icon_smile.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jun 30 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is how I eat:

Watched both vids and i have to say i agree 100%. I am very much trying to get my diet to what is resembled in that video, but it isn't all that easy.

I also agree with the exercises part, more training doesnt make it better, Diet is most important, followed by adequate rest then training.

Now off to read some of the links from the videos.

Thanks for the post Weiman, i recommend everyone watch atleast the first video!
Removed. - The Colonel

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
I watched the first video, and I have to disagree. Saying that grain and dairy are inherently bad for us is a load of shit.
IPB Image

PwntToast

PwntToast

I want a title. But I'm not creative D:

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
  • xfire:pwnttoast
  • Interests:Gaming, Playing/listening to music, skateboarding.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Marcus Fps
  • PSN:Nope.
  • Wii:Not yet.
Seth, quitting dairy and grain really made your acne go away? Not that I get acne a lot, just the occasional pimple, but it's still annoying. I really couldn't see myself giving up milk or bread. I drink at least 2-3 glasses of milk a day..
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)
Kazzerax: if she has a boyfriend, that's you being a fucking terrible person and i hope he knocks your ass out in a stream while you're wearing jeans

Slilent

Slilent
  • GA Lieutenant
  • 1,488 posts
  • xfire:NA
  • Interests:I have none
  • Steam ID:NA
  • Xbox / GFWL:NA
  • PSN:NA
  • Wii:NA
  • Gamer Army ID:2502
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (PwntToast @ Jun 30 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seth, quitting dairy and grain really made your acne go away? Not that I get acne a lot, just the occasional pimple, but it's still annoying. I really couldn't see myself giving up milk or bread. I drink at least 2-3 glasses of milk a day..

cutting sugars like soda and choclate help and also doxycyline helps with acne

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jun 30 2009, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I watched the first video, and I have to disagree. Saying that grain and dairy are inherently bad for us is a load of shit.

Well when you look at how most grains and dairy are produced now a day its really not hard to believe.
Grains, most of it refined, genetically modified, sprayed with countless poisons and then poorly prepared for consumption

Dairy- Coming from cows that have no "range" injected with antibiotics, growth hormones, then in turn the milk is pasteurized killing most of what is living in the milk.

QUOTE (PwntToast @ Jun 30 2009, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea it really made it go away, going to try to cut out rice soon aswell.
Removed. - The Colonel

Rehd

Rehd
  • GA Private
  • 2,387 posts
  • xfire:Gforcecrisis
  • Interests:Oh you know... stuff.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Rehd1906
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:5743384498007899
  • Gamer Army ID:3472
  • Company:Hotel
QUOTE (Beefcake @ Jun 29 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have any other questions FEEL FREE TO ASK

I've got quite a bit of knowledge / skill at lifting and getting stronger, unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about diet or cardio. Think you could help me think something up that can result in loss of weight (Just like 10lbs, maybe 20 if I feel really committed, not necessary but I'd like to see what I'd look like lighter) and just overall being much healthier. I guess I'm looking for exercises that are easy and fast for me to do on my own and some help with a food plan. Not too sure what all info you really need from me to get started on this, but if you could helpz it would be much appreciated.
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Dec 15 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
penis is ALWAYS relevent...

d4rbzz

d4rbzz
  • Members
  • 313 posts
  • xfire:poppind
You need to post stretches man

STRETCHES.

I'm stealin' your diet, yo.

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
QUOTE (Rehd @ Jun 30 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got quite a bit of knowledge / skill at lifting and getting stronger, unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about diet or cardio. Think you could help me think something up that can result in loss of weight (Just like 10lbs, maybe 20 if I feel really committed, not necessary but I'd like to see what I'd look like lighter) and just overall being much healthier. I guess I'm looking for exercises that are easy and fast for me to do on my own and some help with a food plan. Not too sure what all info you really need from me to get started on this, but if you could helpz it would be much appreciated.

For shedding some weight medium paced cardio seems to be the best, and what i mean by this is doing something where you can still hold a conversation with someone and not be out of breath. I usually just do medium paced run on an elliptical trainer, don't need to go more than 20 minutes. Another great one is known as HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) the basics for this are you jog for X period of time then sprint for Y period of time then go back to the X period then to Y again, doing this over and over. Usually people start off at a 5 minute jog, 1 minute sprint for X and Y, then over time they try to bring it down to a 1:1 ratio.

For diet all i can say is Protein, Protein, Protein get it in with almost every meal. Meat tastes damn good, fills you up more than carbs and is much more thermogenic so it makes your metabolism much better. For carbs i would try to get as many of them as possible from fruits and vegetables and then if needed from some grains ( i am going to try cutting out all grains come september when i am back living on my own). For fats i try to get most of them from nuts and olive oil.

Basically if the diet you currently have right now is allowing you to maintain the weight you are currently at, try substituting in more protein over your carbs and maybe cut out 200 calories total a day and you should start losing weight.

QUOTE (d4rbzz @ Jun 30 2009, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to post stretches man

STRETCHES.

I'm stealin' your diet, yo.

Stretches, The only time i really stretch is intra-workout in between sets i stretch whatever muscle i am working out. Besides that i don't have much knowledge on the subject.

If you have some insight i would love to hear it.
Removed. - The Colonel

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jun 30 2009, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is how I eat:

The video on exercise made me feel a lot better about how I do it. I've been exersicsing infrequently for the past few weeks but still staying quite active moving around walking places. I'll train really hard for maybe 10-20minutes every other day then a nice break on the weekend.

What I do need to worry about is my diet. While that video makes so much sense to me it doesn't just make me want to quit eating everything I like. Being healthy is awesome, but eating good food is also equally as awesome.

Dgamer

Dgamer
  • Members
  • 676 posts
  • xfire:dgamer
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 1 2009, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The video on exercise made me feel a lot better about how I do it. I've been exersicsing infrequently for the past few weeks but still staying quite active moving around walking places. I'll train really hard for maybe 10-20minutes every other day then a nice break on the weekend.

What I do need to worry about is my diet. While that video makes so much sense to me it doesn't just make me want to quit eating everything I like. Being healthy is awesome, but eating good food is also equally as awesome.

I don't think the video is trying to encourage you to do shitty/random workouts. You're not going to achieve a whole lot if you work out for 10-20 minutes whenever you feel like it.
"We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction." - Douglas MacArthur

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:SurprisedPlanet
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 1 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have exactly the same problem, I love drinking fizzy drinks, and eating random shit like pot noodles, and I know for a fact if I managed to get past this habit i'd have an awesome body!

QUOTE (Dgamer @ Jul 3 2009, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think the video is trying to encourage you to do shitty/random workouts. You're not going to achieve a whole lot if you work out for 10-20 minutes whenever you feel like it.

If he worked out 20 minutes 4 times a week he'd still see improvements, but generally to see vast gains from my experience a 40 minute weight session and 10-20 minute cardio session 3 times a week, may be 4 is enough.
QUOTE (Tree_ @ May 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jamie, just go smoke some crack; you'll feel better.

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
My question:

My diet lacks protein, and I think this is lowering my progress as I'm trying to be able to bench 60kg by the end of summer (set of 10x4). Now I dont particually have the money to buy decent protein shakes, plus they normally make me feel abit ill, so I was wonder maybe eating raw eggs? Like 2 early in the morning of days i work out? Bare in mind I fucking hate eggs but it would be cheap as there always in the house, and i hear there really good protein?

Also anything i could mix with the raw eggs to make it taste less eggy? Or am I just best off investing in protein shakes?

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
I don't see any reason why stuffing yourself with protein would somehow gain you THAT much more muscle. I'd say adapt your diet to contain more protein..such as fish and meat. Eating multiple eggs a day is a bad idea IMO... While fish is incredibly healthy. (yes, I summed it up quick)

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
I eat a fair amount of meat, but I still don't really think its anywhere near enough, however I'm a very fussy eater and generally don't eat fish at all, hence my problem icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users