Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Workout/general Health Megathread

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
265 replies to this topic

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
*Seth can you add this to your diet section on the front page please!

Alcohol and Body Building

I just thought I’d inform people how drinking can affect muscle gain as this is a touchy subject and many of you will probably be wondering.

You probably have a good assumption to the answer of this question. Does Alcohol effect muscle gain? Simply, yes – yes it does. Depending on your weekly/monthly consumption you’re gains can be harmed to completely ruined. Here’s why.

-Testosterone Levels:
A single night of binge drinking can decrease testosterone levels for up to 24hours. Continuous partying and binge drinking will result in a permanent decrease. For those that are unaware testosterone is the most important muscle-building hormone in your body! It is also important to note that excessive drinking can lead to higher levels of estrogen in the body leading to some lovely man boobs/smaller testes/more body fat/ and decreased fertility.

-Protein Synthesis:
Studies have shown that excessive alcohol consumption slows down the process of protein synthesis by up to 22%. Muscles are made up of protein so slowing down this process can be detrimental to your gains.

-Dehydration:
This applies to those more uneducated to the effects of drinking. During a night of drinking your kidneys will use a substantial amount of the body’s water to break down the alcohol. Staying hydrated is one of the keys to muscle gain. If you are going to be drinking I recommend steady water consumption throughout the night.

-The next day at the Gym:
It has been proven that alcohol consumption 48 hours before exercise greatly effects the persons level of strength, focus, reaction time and hand-eye coordination. If you want to lift well you should not consume alcohol 48hrs prior to working out.

-Vitamin and Mineral Depletion:
Alcohol will cause your body to drain many important Vitamin and Minerals at a rapid rate. Being properly nourished aids in muscle growth and maintenance.

-Weight Gain:
Alcohol is simply empty calories, you are not getting much for how much you’re putting in your body. The more you consume the more fat your body will eventually store. Alcohol is calorie dense. While this shouldn’t be on the top of your list of worries, it still has a negative impact on gains.

My Recommendation:
The best thing you can do for your body is to stop drinking. However, while you’re young you do want to have fun every now and then. Drinking is inevitable for many. If you can stop cold turkey – that’s great, however for those that are going to continue here’s some tips:

+Limit binge drinking to once a month:
Pick the correct night to drink! You should not be consuming alcohol on a weekly basis. To get the least amount of impact on your body you should try to limit yourself to 4-5 drinks a month.

+Nourish yourself before heading out:
Remember to drink plenty of water during the night and eat a big meal full of good vitamins/nutrients/fat/proteins . At least you can lessen the harmful effects.

+Don’t drink and head to the gym the next day:
If possible drink the night before your rest day. You’ll be less productive at the gym the next day if you decide the drink the night before.

Edited by Plasmic Fury, 04 February 2010 - 05:03 PM.

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:SurprisedPlanet
I think, what you wrote everyone who goes to the gym should already know.

I've tried to work out a few times the day after drinking, and its just epic fail. And I'm trying to limit drinking to once a month, which really isn't that hard. You definately feel weaker after a night out drinking though.

Also alcohol gives you weak bones...
QUOTE (Tree_ @ May 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jamie, just go smoke some crack; you'll feel better.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (Jamie @ Feb 5 2010, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think, what you wrote everyone who goes to the gym should already know.

I've tried to work out a few times the day after drinking, and its just epic fail. And I'm trying to limit drinking to once a month, which really isn't that hard. You definately feel weaker after a night out drinking though.

Also alcohol gives you weak bones...

Some of it is obvious other parts isn't. Anyways it's good to have on the front page for beginners.

حشّاشين Ghost

حشّاشين Ghost
  • Members
  • 1,453 posts
  • Interests:Ive been playing games before I could barley talk , I love playing all sports, and have been a mixed martial artist for almost over 2 years.
  • Steam ID:j_sunnner_1
You guys use kettlebells? What exercises do you guys do in your routine with them?

I only use them for shoulders.

Rehd

Rehd
  • GA Private
  • 2,387 posts
  • xfire:Gforcecrisis
  • Interests:Oh you know... stuff.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Rehd1906
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:5743384498007899
  • Gamer Army ID:3472
  • Company:Hotel
QUOTE (Jamie @ Feb 4 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hadn't been gym for 4 days, due to my birthday/being hungover for 3 days because I hadn't drunk in 33 days, and my friends made sure I was passed absolutely smashed.

Went today, I have the feeling I will die tomorrow in pain.

I can understand the hangover, but really? I workout approx 20-45 minutes daily, but I missed a few days. 3 days go by and I go and lift, I'm sore for a day or so. After that I'm back up 100% and good to go, I give it a day to regenerate and get as much strength as possible though. Could just of been how hard I broke my body in as well from the start. My recommendation: Diet. If you drink only good liquids and eat healthier, I find your body will heal faster and not be quite as bad off.
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Dec 15 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
penis is ALWAYS relevent...

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
QUOTE (حشّا @ Feb 9 2010, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys use kettlebells? What exercises do you guys do in your routine with them?

I only use them for shoulders.

nope, don't even think my gym has them.
Removed. - The Colonel

حشّاشين Ghost

حشّاشين Ghost
  • Members
  • 1,453 posts
  • Interests:Ive been playing games before I could barley talk , I love playing all sports, and have been a mixed martial artist for almost over 2 years.
So I'm guessing same thing for Plasmic?

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (حشّا @ Feb 9 2010, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I'm guessing same thing for Plasmic?

Yep, me and seth go to the same gym.

حشّاشين Ghost

حشّاشين Ghost
  • Members
  • 1,453 posts
Yeah thought so, thanks.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
In related news, hit the highest weight i've ever been in my life today. 172lbs... feels good man, even if a lot of it is water weight.

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
QUOTE (Rehd @ Feb 9 2010, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can understand the hangover, but really?

Try drinking twice your body weight in alcohol. I didn't even want to drink, my friends just made sure I was VERY drunk. It was more a mix of hangover/flu, I still have flu now, but hit the gym today after 3 days since my last work out. Was pretty nice work out, going to hit gym tomorrow aswell to work out my chest as today I done legs/shoulders.

Intraframe

Intraframe
  • Members
  • 3,142 posts
  • xfire:mark101mmmmd
  • Interests:Games (obviously), fps, rts, and a few RPG's Also enjoy soccer, both playing and watching.
  • Steam ID:Intraframe
  • Wii:5242563695984198
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Feb 9 2010, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, me and seth go to the same gym.

matching muscle shirts and tights?
Come at me bro

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (Intraframe @ Feb 9 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol I don't think you'd ever catch me in a muscle shirt.

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
QUOTE (Intraframe @ Feb 9 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We try to colour co-ordinate, we have sayings on the rear end of out shorts so when we stand next to each other people get to read a witty saying.

Also we only wear sleeveless muscle shirts.
Removed. - The Colonel

حشّاشين Ghost

حشّاشين Ghost
  • Members
  • 1,453 posts
I wear underarmour :0

Makes me feel sexy.

Edited by حشّاشين Ghost, 09 February 2010 - 10:47 PM.

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
Good workout today, feeling jacked right now.
Removed. - The Colonel

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
I wish I could gym with you guys, my gym is full of hench jerks.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Not quite sure if this is a decent little thing. But lately I've been trying something that I kinda nabbed from one time doing in my gym class.

50 Jumps with skipping rope

10 Sprawl Ups

50 Jumps

10 Sprawl Ups

50 Jumps

30 Crunches

50 Jumps

30 Crunches

50 Jumps

10 Push Ups

50 Jumps

10 Push Ups

100 Jumps.

So I mean that's a nice little quick burn but if I'm going to be doing something like this at home. How often should I do it in an evening? I doubt I could do this for an hour because after my last push up I couldn't do another one if I tried. So, what else should I add to spice this up, or should I just space them frequently through the evening?

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Feb 10 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not quite sure if this is a decent little thing. But lately I've been trying something that I kinda nabbed from one time doing in my gym class.

50 Jumps with skipping rope

10 Sprawl Ups

50 Jumps

10 Sprawl Ups

50 Jumps

30 Crunches

50 Jumps

30 Crunches

50 Jumps

10 Push Ups

50 Jumps

10 Push Ups

100 Jumps.

So I mean that's a nice little quick burn but if I'm going to be doing something like this at home. How often should I do it in an evening? I doubt I could do this for an hour because after my last push up I couldn't do another one if I tried. So, what else should I add to spice this up, or should I just space them frequently through the evening?

Depending on what you are going for, this will improve mostly endurance. If you're looking to burn some weight that could be considered a decent form of cardio. However, I would do things differently.

If you want to train for muscle your best option would be to join a local gym. If that's not on your things to do list you might want to consider buying some dumbbells for weight training. There are much better ways to approach cardio + upper body workouts than what you got going on now.

Also, why would you do this frequently throughout the evening? What you want to do is one solid and exhausting workout a day, not several. Also keep in mind rest days are crucial (at least 2 a week). And don't forget a solid diet.

Edited by Plasmic Fury, 11 February 2010 - 12:36 AM.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Yeah, the only reason really is cardio endurance. I'm just looking for some exercises or trying some without having to drive 40 minutes a day just for a work out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users