Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Workout/general Health Megathread

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
265 replies to this topic

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:SurprisedPlanet
QUOTE (Beefcake @ Jul 16 2009, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use the muscles i build, demoltion houses and lifting concrete Pimpin' aint easy.

Girls like muscles, nuff said.
QUOTE (Tree_ @ May 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jamie, just go smoke some crack; you'll feel better.

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
QUOTE (Jamie @ Jul 17 2009, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Girls like muscles, nuff said.

You don't need to be a bodybuilder to get girls, trust me.
And like that, he was gone.

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:SurprisedPlanet
QUOTE (President Whitmore @ Jul 17 2009, 04:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't need to be a bodybuilder to get girls, trust me.

Obivously, but its nice to be toned, and does help.
QUOTE (Tree_ @ May 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jamie, just go smoke some crack; you'll feel better.

d4rbzz

d4rbzz
  • Members
  • 313 posts
  • xfire:poppind
QUOTE (Beefcake @ Jul 1 2009, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stretches, The only time i really stretch is intra-workout in between sets i stretch whatever muscle i am working out. Besides that i don't have much knowledge on the subject.

If you have some insight i would love to hear it.

woo, it's been a while. Just moved into a new apartment so I've been busy.

Anyway stretches are a pretty big deal, I've had mega pains in my shins from running and I could never figure out why. I pretty much just self-diagnosed myself with shin splints, but that really wasn't the case. (Least I don't think it was. If it was, yay for stretches healing shin splints.) I started to give long stretch sessions a try before and after and bam. Pretty much all better. Stretches have an amazing effect, really.

You definitely want to be doing stretches for whatever bodyparts you are using on a given day pre-workout. Stretches get the muscles ready for movement and reduce any risk of tears or injury. I don't know if you've ever had a torn muscle, but it's a pain in the ass, hurts, and it's best to avoid.

Post-workout, stretches will expand the muscles of course (help them grow) and keep you from getting any stiff feelings from working out.

Now, if you're not doing the stretches correctly or for a long enough amount of time, they're going to do more harm than good. It's best to just google them yourself, there are a lot of basic stretches out there that are really easy to do. If you really want me to do a write-up on 'em to throw them in the OP I can look into them all and do it. ;] Feeling lazy at the moment and don't want to put things into my own words. Maybe later.

STRETCHING SAVES LIVES

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
QUOTE (d4rbzz @ Jul 22 2009, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-snip-

Thanks for this post brah, going to start incorporating it into my plan icon_biggrin.gif.

On a side note i am thinking of doing a September 1 - Jan 1 Transformation type thing. Probably have a prize of 50 dollars if we can get enough people into it.
Criteria will be based on biggest lifestyle changes, not just on how much weight you lose/muscle you put on, but obviously that will be a factor.

If people are interested let me know so i can get it all started!
Removed. - The Colonel

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
Bumping My Thread, decided i am going start posting in here more with new things i have found out, random Rants, hopefully answer some questions or see some input from other people.

First thing i am going to post is links to some good solid information.

If you have the time i highly recommend you go and read everything on this site, i mean everything. All the articles are great - http://www.westonaprice.org/

Also if videos are your thing this guy trulely knows what he is talking about and gets his points across well - http://www.youtube.c...rgroundwellness

So some new things going on with me are i have been / am looking to start consuming some more traditionally made foods. This week i made my first bone broth and i have to say it is quite good in flavour and for health.

Basically got some animal bones (in my case shanks and some ribs from a cow) put in cold water and vinegar for about 2 hours, then i added in a bunch of organic veggies (carrots, celery, onions) and some garlic and other seasonings. Simmered this for 48 hours then let it cool. This makes a highly nutritious broth or stock filled with gelatin and other high quality vitamins and minerals. I use this for cooking or drink it straight.

Also i am a huge nut fan (no homo) and recently came across the fact that nuts are supposed to be soaked and properly dried - http://www.thenouris...aking-nuts.html So i did this with the almonds i had and they taste much better and supposedly are more healthy for you aswell.

With my next order of assorted nuts/seeds i will be doing this for all of them.

I am getting pretty big on lacto-fermented foods currently only consuming Kefir (fermented milk) but soon going to be using real Sauerkraut, maybe some kimichi aswell.

Also me and my roommate will hopefully be getting some Raw Whole Milk soon so i can make my own kefir icon_smile.gif

That is all for now.
Removed. - The Colonel

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
Interesting article on soaking nuts. Seems kinda like a pain in the ass to do but it would be much more beneficial.

Cypher.bleu

Cypher.bleu
  • Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • xfire:wilsonwws
Any suggestions on how to tighten up my core? A gut is creeping on, do not want.
Exercises that I can do in my room would be nice. icon_smile.gif

Also I find it extremely uncomfortable to do sit ups on floor, my back hurts like mad. (On padded mats it's fine though.)

Just thought I'd throw that out there..

Also, more general question:
Is it realistically possible/practical/efficient to work out in your room with next to no exercise equipment? I hate to go to the gym, it's a bit too.. dirty and claustrophobic for me.

Hellswarm

Hellswarm
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:CSS
QUOTE (Cypher.bleu @ Dec 29 2009, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any suggestions on how to tighten up my core? A gut is creeping on, do not want.

Also I find it extremely uncomfortable to do sit ups on floor, my back hurts like mad. (On padded mats it's fine though.)

Is it realistically possible/practical/efficient to work out in your room with next to no exercise equipment? I hate to go to the gym, it's a bit too.. dirty and claustrophobic for me.

Yeah, I have a hardwood floor, usually I sit on a pillow. There are tons of variations of core exercises out on the internets like Air Bikes, Crunch Variations, Plank Variations, and Russian Twists. Go with the ones that have some lateral or twisting motion to work your obliques as well.

I've found that Heavy Resistance Bands are really good for training at home. If you what you're looking for is volume, though, you're going to have to hit the Gym =/ I have these ones:

Edited by Hellswarm, 29 December 2009 - 03:41 PM.

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
QUOTE (Cypher.bleu @ Dec 29 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The traditional crunch/situp is not going to be what you want, first off it is bad for your lower back, second off it will make your waist wider, usually not a thing you want. also tightening up your core is a farce. The only thing you can really do is either exercise or change your diet to lose the weight.

For the core though i do recommend The Plank and Leg Raises, some twists aren't bad either.

As for training at home with no equipment, depends on your overall goals but some for of weight resistance will help tremendously, even if you just get a dumbbell/barbell set for at home.
Removed. - The Colonel

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
QUOTE (Cypher.bleu @ Dec 29 2009, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your looking strictly for a good core you should focus 90% of your efforts to diet.

- Eat under your calorie maintenance level

The real trick to abs is a low body fat %. There are many guys who go to the gym and never work the abs directly and still have a tight six pack.

If you're training other aspects of your body this will also help lower your BF. When you have more muscle you will burn more calories just to maintain them.

Doing Planks and other various ab exercise should help you achieve this goal faster just to clarify though. Provided you are doing the exercies Beefcaek recommended.

Cypher.bleu

Cypher.bleu
  • Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • xfire:wilsonwws
Alright, that's odd though since I'm actually really skinny otherwise (high metabolism). My gut, there's hardly any fat, it's just starting to hang out.

I run 2-3 times a week. Usually about 3km, but I've ran close to 9km before. However I don't do any exercise during exam period which happens far too often, unfortunately.

As for my diet, I eat pretty well to be honest. But I guess I do splurge on the ice cream a bit too often icon_smile.gif

I'll look up the exercises you suggested, and for more clarity, I'm not so much looking for more volume, just want to tighten it up. I like my relatively slim figure tbh.

Thanks!

Hellswarm

Hellswarm
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:CSS
Good luck mate

PureRandom

PureRandom
  • GA Private
  • 1,109 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:4039
I havnt been eating well lately, i mean its not all bad stuff. but ive been skipping out of breakfast and i want to get eating breakfast back into my life lol.

I used to have 2 - 3 peices of toast, with a milo.. then it went down to a milo.. now its nothing.
i think the reason is because ive been getting less and less hungry each morning, i just feel full.. dont feel like eating anything.

also i havnt been to the gym in over a year and i wanna gain some muscle back, so once ive got my diet into the sway of things ill be getting my arms and legs back into shape..

any ideas on how i can get my appetite back in the mornings , or what should i be eating in the morninngs

ty

Kazzerax

Kazzerax

FUCK!

• Retired Staff
  • 4,859 posts
  • xfire:kazzerax
  • Interests:Counter-Strike, Chess, computer hardware, music, literature, film and philosophy.
  • Steam ID:kazzerax
  • Gamer Army ID:764
Smoke some weed in the morning to get that appetite rolling back in a hurry.
Kazzerax
MOTHERFUCKING ENTITY OF THE WORLD
A PORTION OF GLORIOUS THOUGHT
ELECTRICITY SHAPED TO REASON
FORGED THROUGH THE FIRES OF LIFE
BROUGHT TO BEAR ON CHAOS TO IMPOSE WILL UPON AN UNCARING AND INDIFFERENT UNIVERSE
TO FORGE FROM NOTHING, SOMETHING
Beautiful

Emotive

Emotive
  • Members
  • 2,175 posts
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ Dec 30 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Smoke some weed in the morning to get that appetite rolling back in a hurry.

this.

i have appetite (as well as a great many other health issues) problems as well and a bit of pot will do wonders. it's really the only way i can eat as much as i need to in a day without just feeling sick.

Edited by Emotive, 30 December 2009 - 07:04 PM.

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
QUOTE (PureRandom @ Dec 30 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I havnt been eating well lately, i mean its not all bad stuff. but ive been skipping out of breakfast and i want to get eating breakfast back into my life lol.

I used to have 2 - 3 peices of toast, with a milo.. then it went down to a milo.. now its nothing.
i think the reason is because ive been getting less and less hungry each morning, i just feel full.. dont feel like eating anything.

also i havnt been to the gym in over a year and i wanna gain some muscle back, so once ive got my diet into the sway of things ill be getting my arms and legs back into shape..

any ideas on how i can get my appetite back in the mornings , or what should i be eating in the morninngs

ty

I'm not usually one to try to force food into oneself when not hungry, my first meal of the day is usually 3 hours after i wake up, i eat when my body tells me it needs food.
Removed. - The Colonel

pickupstix60

pickupstix60
  • Members
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything
  • Xbox / GFWL:lol 12 year olds
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
tl;dr: bodybuilding.com

also, SQUATZ/OATZ/DEADZ

this being only 3 pages makes me sad icon_sad.gif

Beefcake

Beefcake
  • Banned
  • 556 posts
QUOTE (pickupstix60 @ Jan 1 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tl;dr: bodybuilding.com

also, SQUATZ/OATZ/DEADZ

this being only 3 pages makes me sad icon_sad.gif

Amount of broscience and supplement pushing on bodybuilding.com is disgusting, better sites out there for training/nutrition info.
Removed. - The Colonel

Emotive

Emotive
  • Members
  • 2,175 posts
QUOTE (Beefcake @ Jan 1 2010, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amount of broscience and supplement pushing on bodybuilding.com is disgusting, better sites out there for training/nutrition info.

please provide then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users