Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Faction Change Service In The Works

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
Link

We wanted to give everyone a very early heads-up that, in response to player requests, we’re developing a new service for World of Warcraft that will allow players to change their faction from Alliance to Horde or Horde to Alliance. There’s still much work to do and many details to iron out, but the basic idea is that players will be able to use the service to transform an existing character into a roughly equivalent character of the opposing faction on the same realm. Players who ended up creating and leveling up characters on the opposite factions from their friends have been asking for this type of functionality for some time, and we’re pleased to be getting closer to being able to deliver it.

As with all of the features and services we offer, we intend to incorporate the faction-change service in a way that won’t disrupt the gameplay experience on the realms, and there will be some rules involved with when and how the service can be used. The number of variables involved increases the complexity of implementing this service, but we plan to take the time needed to ensure that it lives up to expectations before officially rolling it out. We’ll go into much more detail on all of this here at http://www.WorldofWarcraft.com as development progresses. In the meantime, we wanted to let you know that because this type of functionality requires extensive internal testing well in advance of release, you may be seeing bits and pieces of the service in the test builds we use for the public test realms moving forward.

Discuss.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

SkyggeN

SkyggeN
  • Members
  • 405 posts
  • xfire:skyggendk
This is a good idea, I do definently have some Ally chars I'd like to convert, since all the people I play with now are horde side.

Kadjel

Kadjel

I fought with honour!

• Retired Staff
  • 3,183 posts
  • xfire:Kadjel
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
It'll never happen=We'll get to it later. Race changes soon.
Wuggles for everyone!

Killswitch571

Killswitch571
  • Members
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Video Games<br />Girls<br />Sports<br /><br />That's really about it..
  • Steam ID:nigel509
  • Xbox / GFWL:Killswitch571
  • Wii:4596-9430-4703
The idea of race changes makes sense, but faction changes? That's ridiculous.

Think of how many long time players who rolled Alliance when they were younger have now realized Horde is way more mature, there will be imbalance here.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Killswitch571 @ Jun 30 2009, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think of how many long time players who rolled Alliance when they were younger have now realized Horde is way more mature

People are still this steroetypical?
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
QUOTE (Killswitch571 @ Jun 30 2009, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Horde is way more mature

Uh, not at all. My realm's Horde side is much stupider than our Alliance side.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

Yozki

Yozki
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • xfire:Yozki
  • Steam ID:Yozki
end-game wise there's the same amount of good players to raid with.

But pre-80, alliance is waaay more stupid, I've leveled 3 alliance to end-game and like 6 horde

pearlsea

pearlsea
  • Members
  • 576 posts
  • Steam ID:Pearlsea
I hate to be the wet blanket in the thread but these are some of the moves by blizzard(/activision) that made me quit. I had no problem picking a faction and sticking with it, or any of the other choices I made at character creation.

I knew something like this would happen down the line when they added name changes. You lose some of your stances on character policies and the rest come down with them, with a $25 fee of course. Blizzard can't do this for free, how dare I expect blizzard to provide customer service for the largest mmo.

"but blizzard needs a way to limit the changes". Its called a cooldown, these features should be included in the price of subscription.

TEH PuBLIK ENEMI

TEH PuBLIK ENEMI
  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • xfire:retardlad
  • Xbox / GFWL:Xx Blooddrunken
Would rather have race changes over faction changes.

WTB Male Orc Warrior.

Smokey

Smokey
  • Members
  • 3,394 posts
  • xfire:smokeymcfuzz
I like the idea, but then I don't.

I like it because my friends can come play on Horde with me or I can go over to Alliance and do shit with them.

However, I think this feature will be abused, much like if they implemented race changing. There's a reason why you sit there for 5 minutes and think about why you want this character, and not just for its looks either. The game is supposed to have some strategies, pros and cons for each race/class combination.

Think about it.
sup

TEH PuBLIK ENEMI

TEH PuBLIK ENEMI
  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • xfire:retardlad
  • Xbox / GFWL:Xx Blooddrunken
We wanted to give everyone a very early heads-up that, in response to player requests, we’re developing a new service for World of Warcraft that will allow players to change their faction from Alliance to Horde or Horde to Alliance. There’s still much work to do and many details to iron out, but the basic idea is that players will be able to use the service to transform an existing character into a roughly equivalent character of the opposing faction on the same realm. Players who ended up creating and leveling up characters on the opposite factions from their friends have been asking for this type of functionality for some time, and we’re pleased to be getting closer to being able to deliver it.

As with all of the features and services we offer, we intend to incorporate the faction-change service in a way that won’t disrupt the gameplay experience on the realms, and there will be some rules involved with when and how the service can be used. The number of variables involved increases the complexity of implementing this service, but we plan to take the time needed to ensure that it lives up to expectations before officially rolling it out. We’ll go into much more detail on all of this here at http://www.WorldofWarcraft.com as development progresses. In the meantime, we wanted to let you know that because this type of functionality requires extensive internal testing well in advance of release, you may be seeing bits and pieces of the service in the test builds we use for the public test realms moving forward.

Updated 7/1
Due to the many questions that have come up with the announcement of this new service, we wanted to take the time to answer the ones we can at this point in time.

Q. Will we be able to switch between the races on our own faction?
A. No. Players will only be able to switch to a race of the opposite faction.

Q. Will I be able to choose the race on the opposite faction that I want to change to?
A. Yes, but you will only be able to switch to a race that has your class type available to it. So if you play a human paladin, you’d only be able to change to a blood elf paladin.

Q. How much will it cost?
A. We do not have further information on this at this point in time.

Q. Will I be able to switch back to my original faction but a different race?
A. No. You will only be able to switch back to your originally chosen race.

Q. How will the switch between reputation, gear, mounts, etc be handled?
A. We’ll have more details for you at a later point in time, though we plan to keep these as close to a reflection of the other faction as much as possible.

Q. How often can you change your faction?
A. We do not have any information to share on this at this point in time, however we will have restrictions on the frequency by which players can change their faction.

Q. How will this affect the balance of Horde and Alliance on the realms?
A. We are taking great care in how we implement this new service in order to maintain balance between the factions on the realms but do not have any further details to share.

Fail no same faction race changes.

Teh_Smell

Teh_Smell
  • Members
  • 1,453 posts
QUOTE (TEH PuBLIK ENEMI @ Jul 1 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fail no same faction race changes.

So x-fer horde then x-fer back and choose race.
QUOTE(Boyces Mom)
How do I shot web?

Mighty_Chives

Mighty_Chives
  • Members
  • 1,562 posts
  • Steam ID:Superstar Chives
QUOTE (Teh_Smell @ Jul 1 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So x-fer horde then x-fer back and choose race.

Q. Will I be able to switch back to my original faction but a different race?
A. No. You will only be able to switch back to your originally chosen race.

tl'dr rite?

Snormy

Snormy
  • Members
  • 229 posts
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Jun 30 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh, not at all. My realm's Horde side is much stupider than our Alliance side.

because the 12 year old alliance never make it to level 80 lol >.>

Teh_Smell

Teh_Smell
  • Members
  • 1,453 posts
QUOTE (Mighty_Chives @ Jul 1 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tl'dr rite?

correct.
QUOTE(Boyces Mom)
How do I shot web?

p00nc00s

p00nc00s
  • GA Private
  • 114 posts
  • xfire:p00nc00s
  • Interests:Black Metal, Death Metal, Heavy Metal, Doom/Stoner Metal, Playing guitar, CSS, TF2, MW2
  • Steam ID:p00nc00s
  • Xbox / GFWL:Sold It
  • PSN:p00nc00s
  • Gamer Army ID:4519
  • Company:Echo
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Jun 29 2009, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Link

Discuss.

I think its pretty win. hopefully it will help even out alli:horde server ratios.

But it would suuuuuuuuck to lose my frostwolf howler

but I dont wanna switch to alli anyway icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by p00nc00s, 03 July 2009 - 07:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users