Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Blazblue: Calamity Trigger [ps3 & X360]

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (pronounced blaze-blue) is a two-dimensional fighting arcade game by Arc System Works, the staff behind the Guilty Gear series. It is a spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. The game is currently released for the Taito Type X2 arcade system board, with a 16:9 ratio and 768p resolution.

IGN gave it a 9.4 and highly praises it in just about every way.

HardcoreGamer.com gives it a 5 out of 5 (Pages 44 and 45)

OXM - 8/10 (said it was a great game, but their only minus was that the story was long and boring....who plays a fighter for story???)
PSM - 9/10
GamePro - 9/10

Game Informer has given it the lowest score yet at a 78 out of 100. They also did this.

Two samples of current high level play (with HD quality available and totally worth watching)

Rachel vs Arakune
v-13 vs Tager
excellent comeback fight!

SO WHO IS READY TO GET THEIR ANIME STOMP ON?

Mantrousse

Mantrousse

It's not a thing, G!

• Global Mods - GA Major
  • 3,450 posts
  • xfire:mantrousse
  • Xbox / GFWL:Mantrousse
  • Gamer Army ID:2055
  • Company:Gamma
Exciting to watch, but i have 0 clue as to what's going on, lol.

How do you even get into a game like this? It looks difficult, :[ .

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
its actually really simple...less buttons than sf4. youve got neutral, forward, crouching, and jumping versions of each of those 4 buttons. add in some special moves and supers and youve pretty much summed up all the moves per character...the depth is in how to use those moves plus some other universal effects (like barriers).

and like i said, thats really high level play. if you watch high level play of melee (especially between two foxes) it can be rather fast as well.

that said, buy it right when it comes out and you get the limited edition (not at extra cost!) and it comes with a DVD completely devoted to teaching you how to play icon_biggrin.gif

1 Health Bar: Displays your current health.

2 Barrier Gauge: The "Barrier Gauge" is needed for "barriers" that will defend you against the damage dealt by the enemy. The "Barrier Gauge" will refill over time.

3. Barrier Burst: Once per round, you have access to an "attack" which interrupts hit or block stun. You'll do a slight bit more damage in exchange, however, if you use it, you will have a lower defense modifier for the rest of the round!

4. Offense Gauge:This meter is similar to a see-saw: The more offensive you are to the opponent, the more the meter grows in your favor. When the meter is completely in your favor, the opponent is placed into a guard-break animation, allowing you to perform a combo.

5. Heat Counter: This showcases the number of hits performed in the combo. One important note to mention is that when a combo is "false", or could be recovered from, the word "HEAT" will turn a darker color!

6. Heat Gauge: The "Heat Gauge" is necessary for powerful attacks such as the "Distortion Drive". It is also necessary for a "Rapid Cancel". You can increase the "Heat Gauge" by landing an attack on the enemy.

7.Character Specific Gauges: You'll notice quite a few gauges here in this image that don't belong to Carl. This is to illustrate the location of different gauges! Some characters such as Tager, Rachal, Bang, Arakune and Carl use these meters to explain information otherwise unknown to the player. Below, you can see that Bang has an additional gauge which is used in his gameplay.

Mantrousse

Mantrousse

It's not a thing, G!

• Global Mods - GA Major
  • 3,450 posts
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Jun 29 2009, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that said, buy it right when it comes out and you get the limited edition (not at extra cost!) and it comes with a DVD completely devoted to teaching you how to play icon_biggrin.gif

As far as i can tell, it's not coming out in the UK.

:[

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
then i guess online guides will have to do =\

ive only been really reading details about how to play for the last few days and it looks incredibly deep but not that complicated. its a lot like smash in the controls but with 2 extra buttons.

ive only been really reading details about how to play for the last few days and it looks incredibly deep but not that complicated. its a lot like smash in the controls but with 2 extra buttons.

the44show

the44show
  • Members
  • 648 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:LilCBasedFob
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Jun 28 2009, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the only online guide you need is

www.shoryuken.com!
(trust me, it's the God of fighting game websites)

Edited by the44show, 28 June 2009 - 10:04 PM.

cammy__watch_listed_by_isaac251-d4vz39g.

PICK A TOP TIER

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (the44show @ Jun 28 2009, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the only online guide you need is

www.shoryuken.com!
(trust me, it's the God of fighting game websites)

nope.

dustloop.com

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
Is it not a downloadable game?

Doesn't really look worth a full price game...

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Jun 29 2009, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it not a downloadable game?

Doesn't really look worth a full price game...

they would never be able to make a profit it was like 15 dollars man...every single character animation was hand drawn and its extremely well balanced....a lot of people are expecting it to become the standard for high level fighting game competitive play.

unless youd rather play this. and dont get me wrong, thats a fun game...but at a high level of play, it gets EXTREMELY boring and repetitive.

Rehd

Rehd
  • GA Private
  • 2,387 posts
  • xfire:Gforcecrisis
  • Interests:Oh you know... stuff.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Rehd1906
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:5743384498007899
  • Gamer Army ID:3472
  • Company:Hotel
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Jun 29 2009, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they would never be able to make a profit it was like 15 dollars man...every single character animation was hand drawn and its extremely well balanced....a lot of people are expecting it to become the standard for high level fighting game competitive play.

unless youd rather play this. and dont get me wrong, thats a fun game...but at a high level of play, it gets EXTREMELY boring and repetitive.

That's why I play Balrog. There is no pussy footing around with ranged attacks, I catch up to my opponent with one of my many many dashes, beat the shit out of them, retreat, hop back in, do it again but differently.

I honestly don't see sf4 as repetitious, mainly since there's still so many things I haven't learned about it.

Blaz looks pretty awesome, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it. I hate almost every fighting game I've played, there's only about 2-3 games that can be exceptions for that. Otherwise though the game looks cool, I'll probably have to rent it or get it for really cheap.
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Dec 15 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
penis is ALWAYS relevent...

Mantrousse

Mantrousse

It's not a thing, G!

• Global Mods - GA Major
  • 3,450 posts
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Jun 29 2009, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I meant the actual game, haha.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (Mantrousse @ Jun 29 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I meant the actual game, haha.

o....that sucks =\

ps3 version is region free...i know the xbox version has region limits but im not entirely sure how that all works out exactly.

sweet vid -

smahyt

smahyt
  • Members
  • 111 posts
  • xfire:smahyt
  • Xbox / GFWL:smahyt
I will most likely be getting this, just throwing that out there considering not too many people have said anything about buying it.

I absolutely love the style of these types of games, especially this one in particular. Something about SFIV isn't cutting it for me, but I'm not quite sure what.

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Might get it, dunno...

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
Only 10 playable characters?

Yeah, not only are the characters too poorly animated for a full price game, there's also not enough of them for a full price game.
Gameplay looks good, but I'll wait until I can find it in the bargain bin.

EDIT, 12, my bad, didn't look at the boss characters. Point still stands tho

Edited by bloodvayne, 30 June 2009 - 05:38 PM.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
poorly animated?

its the best animation ive ever seen lol...this is incredibly detailed. the sound is phenomenal too. they went fucking all out on this game. SS2THDR was an arcade game with shitty animation and lacking in options. this game has it TROUNCED in features.

its like an orgy of smash and sf4 with an ounce of crack thrown in! this game is pure win, and worth every penny. not to mention the special features from buying it early on. 4 disc win!

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
Yes, poorly animated... for a $60 game
Anime art style is so easy and cheap to make

Which is why I automatically assumed it was a downloadable game.
AND such a small array of characters?
I'm not gonna spend more than $30 for it.

Bonus limited additions are never worth it, so meh.

Yes, the gameplay seems badass, but there's gotta be more than that for me to pay that price.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
can you name a fighting game thats better animated?

also, 2d animation takes more work than 3d, so dont bother with any 3d games.

and i stand by the fact that it has shit tons more in it than any arcade game. the story mode is actually lengthy with a decent story (thus far, its the best story ive ever seen in a fighting game and its actually coherent!). its got insane depth and balance. its got a HUGE gallery. plus the standard arcade and online and a score attack mode. it has got EXCELLENT support for replays and has great japanese and english voices (ya, some are stupid, but they are on the stupid characters icon_biggrin.gif)

so let me ask you this...what on earth could it possibly not have? it has sf4 trumped in every way except maybe character count.

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
2D animation does NOT take more work to make it look acceptable...

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Jul 1 2009, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2D animation does NOT take more work to make it look acceptable...

considering ive done 2d frame by frame and 3d, i can assure you, 2d takes more time. im a fucking animation major lol. 3d takes more early stage work, but once the characters are made, you can just move them around rather freely. the thing about 2d animation is you have to redraw the whole character EVERY time. thats why 3d is such a blessing...you make it, and its made ready for all positions. you can move it around just by grabbing the skeleton or the handles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users