Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Australian Internet Filter To Block Sites Selling Mature Games?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Danoli3

Danoli3

MotM Sept 2006 | teh_artchiverer | PP Lifetime Achievement Award

• GA Sergeant
  • 6,760 posts
  • xfire:Danoli3
  • Interests:Natalie, Pure Pwnage, Games, Programming, Animation, Music, Movies
  • Steam ID:Danoli3
  • Xbox / GFWL:Danolium
  • Wii:1622774217920323
  • Gamer Army ID:9
  • Company:Pi
According to an article in the Sydney Morning Herald , the Australian Government says it will use its internet filter to block websites hosting and selling video games that don't comply with Australia's ratings system. The internet filter is currently being trialled by nine internet service providers and could soon be introduced across all Australian internet services.

A spokesman for Australian Communications Minister, Senator Stephen Conroy, has confirmed the intention to block downloadable games, flash-based web games and sites which sell physical copies of games that do not meet the MA15+ standard, Australia's highest rating.

Colin Jacobs, a spokesman for the online users' lobby group, Electronic Frontiers Australia, said the Government's internet filtering plans had now gone beyond the original intention to help protect against the abuse of children.

"This is confirmation that the scope of the mandatory censorship scheme will keep on creeping," he said. "Far from being the ultimate weapon against child abuse, it now will officially censor content deemed too controversial for a 15-year-old. In a free country like ours, do we really need the government to step in and save us from racy web games?"

Ron Curry, the chief executive of the Interactive Entertainment Association of Australia - which is the group that represents the Australian entertainment industry - said the situation further highlighted the need to have an R18+ rating for games.

"It's through the introduction of an R18+ classification that adults will have access to age appropriate material and parents will have the full tool kit to understand the suitability of content for their children," he said.

The internet filtering issue is also receiving international condemnation with Senator Conroy being nominated by Britain's Internet Services Providers' Association for its annual "internet villain" award. Senator Conroy was nominated "for continuing to promote network-level blocking despite significant national and international opposition".

If you are interested in the ongoing debate for the introduction of an R18+ rating, check out http://everyoneplays.org.au/. Also be sure to make your voice heard by writing a (sensible) letter to Senator Conroy and to your local member.

Source: http://palgn.com.au/...g-mature-games/

Source 2: http://www.smh.com.a...90625-cxrx.html

---

This is riducilous... how about we just get a r18+ classification like mentioned in the articles.

-Danoli3

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Instead of simply changing our rating system, let's implement a lot of stuff nobody wants and wil cost a lot more! yaay!

icon_confused.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

delta_vanguard

delta_vanguard
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • PSN:delta_vanguard2
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jun 27 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Instead of simply changing our rating system, let's implement a lot of stuff nobody wants and wil cost a lot more! yaay!

icon_confused.gif

and while we're at it, let's give in to the whining parents and ban every m rated game released in the last 15 years! that'll show them.

i laugh at the impact something like this could have on the economy

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_
GODDAMN IT HOW ELSE WILL I BUY MY HENTAIZZZ GAMES NOW?

Kadjel

Kadjel

I fought with honour!

• Retired Staff
  • 3,183 posts
  • xfire:Kadjel
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jun 27 2009, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

icon_confused.gif

Yeah, that makes sense.

Let's do the opposite. awesome2.png
Wuggles for everyone!

Biohazard.

Biohazard.
  • Members
  • 1,819 posts
  • xfire:b1ohaz4rd
  • Interests:Music, Bass, Gaming, Girls, Audio Engineering.
  • Steam ID:2xdead
QUOTE (Ineffable @ Jun 28 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People buy games?
R.I.P Ronnie James Dio | R.I.P Paul Gray

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
lol you guys keep getting screwed every which way

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jun 28 2009, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just like your mum. LOL
Sorry I'll show myself the door.

Biohazard.

Biohazard.
  • Members
  • 1,819 posts
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jun 28 2009, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The gov't won't do it, if they do they can expect a lot of pissed of citizens I hope. Or unless they're all too fucking lazy to do anything about it.

TWINTURBOSkyline

TWINTURBOSkyline
  • GA Private
  • 2,219 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3320
  • Company:Omicron
Goodbye Steam, Play-Asia, eBay.

Moriarte: Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 a direct port of the console version?
Infinity Ward: No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
If the government do this, they will lose the next election, Malcom Turnbull as leader of the opposition or not.

Also I highly doubt this will get through the senate unless the Liberals get scared of a Double Dissolution of parliament.

StrikerZero

StrikerZero
  • Members
  • 818 posts
sweet, first Germany is getting rid of their gamers now Australia. 1/3 of the retarded gaming population has just been cut.

Shitty jokes aside, Why wouldn't they come up with a proper system in the first place??? Honestly, the retardation of society is happening more and more. They have a perfectly alternate idea, that doesn't use censorship and they take the path of stupidity. Then again, it would probably be like here.Some old ass grandma buys their 13 year old grandson a game and he does something retarded so they blame the game and not the parent or original purchaser's actions. Honestly, be pretty funny if they do the rating thing and GTA becomes the game lol.

Biohazard.

Biohazard.
  • Members
  • 1,819 posts
QUOTE (TWINTURBOSkyline @ Jun 28 2009, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goodbye Steam, Play-Asia, eBay.

Steam has stuff rated above MA15+?

long_cat♥

long_cat♥
  • Members
  • 251 posts
cant you turn it off? sucks tbh, cant see it being too long before other countries do it icon_sad.gif

Danoli3

Danoli3

MotM Sept 2006 | teh_artchiverer | PP Lifetime Achievement Award

• GA Sergeant
  • 6,760 posts
  • xfire:Danoli3
  • Interests:Natalie, Pure Pwnage, Games, Programming, Animation, Music, Movies
  • Steam ID:Danoli3
  • Xbox / GFWL:Danolium
  • Wii:1622774217920323
  • Gamer Army ID:9
QUOTE (long_cat♥ @ Jun 28 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cant you turn it off? sucks tbh, cant see it being too long before other countries do it icon_sad.gif

Most if not all other countries have a r18+ rating for games. So it wouldn't be an issue as far as I can see.

I am totally against this internet filter anyway, but this is now attacking the gaming industry, time to suprise interview one of these policitians supporting this bill and ask about there links to the masons and any relations to global banking cartels.

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
QUOTE (Danoli3 @ Jun 28 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am totally against this internet filter anyway, but this is now attacking the gaming industry, time to suprise interview one of these policitians supporting this bill and ask about there links to the masons and any relations to global banking cartels.

lol

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
When I realized I could still play any game that mattered unhindered, I meh'd.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
If I was PM in Australia, I'd veto a law that makes it illegal for Tree_ to act like a tourneyfag icon_razz.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

raw_genesis

raw_genesis

The Flaming Homo of the year '09

• Members
  • 3,655 posts
  • xfire:rawgenesis
  • Interests:the ladies ;D
  • Steam ID:raw_genesis
  • Xbox / GFWL:ex bawks
  • PSN:pee ess tripple
  • Wii:Weeeeeeee!!!
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (Ineffable @ Jun 28 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ON NOEZ!!!

But seriously... the torrenting shall prevail over all!!!

QUOTE (Shaun. @ Apr 28 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AAAAA+++++++++++++++ GREAT SERVICE AND GOOD PACKAGE. WOULD BANG AGAIN

ChaosJester

ChaosJester
  • GA Colonel
  • 2,269 posts
  • xfire:theavatar2005
  • Steam ID:theavatar2006
  • Xbox / GFWL:PPGAChaosJester
  • Gamer Army ID:583
Yet another thing the government wants to implement that will make us pirate even more (if that's possible)

fs_pc.png
1782822.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users