Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nova Scotia Provincial Election

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would you vote for? (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Which party?

1. Progressive Conservatives (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. New Democratic Party (1 votes [25.00%])

3. Liberal Party (1 votes [25.00%])

4. Green Party (1 votes [25.00%])

5. I wouldn't vote, and am a terrible person. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
This will no doubt be a short lived thread, since the election is tomorrow. This is for any Nova Scotians here (and really, anyone else who wants to talk about this) to discuss the election, and what the implications may be.

On June 9th, voters across my province will be going to the polls. I'll obviously be voting, but none of the choices are all that tempting. For other residents of Canuckistan; if you thought the choices were underwhelming in the last federal election, you should see our options.

Progressive Conservatives
Leader: Rodney MacDonald (Incumbent)
The PCs are currently in power here. They haven't done a great job, but they haven't done an overly terrible job either. In fact, they haven't really done a whole lot. They did fuck up Nova Scotia's offshore oil deal with the federal government, and have been quite negative in their campaign.

New Democratic Party
Leader: Darrel Dexter
The New Democrats are ahead in the polls, and will probably win. I won't personally be voting for them, because I disagree with the NDP on a lot of things. Dexter seems like he'd be a competent leader though.

Liberal Party
Leader: Stephen McNeil
The Nova Scotia Liberals have been in a pretty sad state for a while now. Though they'll probably improve their standing a bit, they still haven't gotten their act together. It's a shame, because I'd definitely vote for them if they got it together. McNeil is a nice guy, but having personally met him, and attended a Q&A he participated in, I can't see him being a good Premier.

Green Party
Leader: Ryan Watson
The Nova Scotia Greens are running a full slate of candidates this time around. They aren't polling particularly well, but they'll probably get some votes. Like with the NDP, I won't be voting for them because I disagree with them on many, many things.

I have to choose between a mediocre PC government and an uninspired Liberal government before I vote tomorrow. Whoop-de-fuckin-do. That, and I already know the local NDP candidate will win his seat, so my vote is effectively redundant.
This isn't exactly the most exciting election ever, but I love democracy, so there's that.

Edited by TubularLuggage, 08 June 2009 - 12:01 PM.

IPB Image

It's ME!

It's ME!
  • GA Private
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Chewing bubble gum and kicking ass... and I'm all outta gum!
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:3318
  • Company:Alpha
No choices are tempting eh? Why does it seem all so familiar? oh, right, it's Canadian tradition to put out the least appealing candidates.
Here in BC, the competition is only between the Liberals and the NDP. The liberals (in may) won the BC elections for the third time in a row. Gordon Campbell is the first Permier in a long time to be the Premier for the 3rd consecutive term. Two terms ago, the liberals had all the seats in the parliament except for 2, which were held by the NDP.
There was the Green Party and the Conservative party, but those parties weren't real contenders; they didn't win a single seat. I personally voted for the NDP, but the riding i'm in is a very Liberal and Conservative riding, not so much for leftist parties.
Anyways, good luck with your decision.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
Heh, representatives from the NDP and Liberal offices called here today, asking if I was voting for their candidate.
I told the Liberal person that I was undecided, and they cheerfully mentioned a few things their candidate was planning on doing, thanked me for my time, then wished me a nice day.
I told the NDP person that I was undecided. They grunted and hung up. It didn't enter into my decision, but that really doesn't seem like how you should treat undecided voters the day before an election icon_razz.gif .
IPB Image

It's ME!

It's ME!
  • GA Private
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Chewing bubble gum and kicking ass... and I'm all outta gum!
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:3318
  • Company:Alpha
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jun 8 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heh, representatives from the NDP and Liberal offices called here today, asking if I was voting for their candidate.
I told the Liberal person that I was undecided, and they cheerfully mentioned a few things their candidate was planning on doing, thanked me for my time, then wished me a nice day.
I told the NDP person that I was undecided. They grunted and hung up. It didn't enter into my decision, but that really doesn't seem like how you should treat undecided voters the day before an election icon_razz.gif .

lawl if they wanted your vote they should send a hawt woman slave to your place to do your bidding. or at the very least a kegger so that you get too hammered to no go vote for the other guy.

but yea, the NDP caller was just a dumbass. Is he getting paid $8/hr or something?
I am never fully decided for who i am going to vote for until voting day, but not because of good enough reasons.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
I ended up voting for the Liberal candidate. I literally decided as I entered the polling place. Even on the walk there, I thought I was going to vote PC.
This is coming from a guy who normally has no problem deciding who to vote for well before the election.

The NDP guy is going to win anyway, so I was basically deciding who I wanted to help get second place.
IPB Image

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
CBC has projected an NDP majority. They're currently elected in 19, leading in 12. They need 27 for a majority.

Also, apparently the PC leader almost quit on Thursday, and was talked out of it.

Edit: 8:36 pm atlantic time
Right now, not only does my riding's Green candidate have 80 more votes than the Green Party leader does; he has more than half of the Green votes in the entire province. It is still fairly early though; many polls have yet to report.

The NDP guy in my riding has 65.5%; more than the NDP leader has in his riding.
Also, the Liberal leader has about 73% in his riding right now.

Currently, the tally of elected/leading;
NDP: E-28 L-3
Liberal: E-8 L-3
PC: E-6 L-4

To put it in perspective, here's the previous total.
2006 Election (Dissolution)

PC: 23 (21)
NDP: 20 (20)
Lib: 9 (7)
Independent: 0 (1)
Vacant: 0 (1)

Yet another edit:
It looks like final total is as follows;
NDP: 31
Liberal: 11
PC: 10

Congratulations to Darrell Dexter and the NDP. Though I'm not traditionally an NDP supporter by any stretch, I wish them well, and am certainly interested in seeing how this goes. Dexter seems like a competent leader, and I think there's at least potential for this to go very well. I say that as someone who's relatively right wing.

Edited by TubularLuggage, 09 June 2009 - 07:15 PM.

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users