Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Opinion On Racism On The Internet.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Hellswarm

Hellswarm
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:CSS
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Aug 14 2009, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do you play online games?

I guess I don't play the same ones that you play.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Hellswarm @ Aug 15 2009, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I don't play the same ones that you play.

so no one ever just comes on randomly just to scream racial slurs til an admin kicks / bans them? Plus, racism meant in good fun is still racism. the PP crowd is guilty of that (as am I... but I hate everyone... especially those ignorant white devils)

Edited by Dohregard, 16 August 2009 - 07:22 AM.

pearlsea

pearlsea
  • Members
  • 576 posts
  • Steam ID:Pearlsea
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Aug 16 2009, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so no one ever just comes on randomly just to scream racial slurs til an admin kicks / bans them? Plus, racism meant in good fun is still racism. the PP crowd is guilty of that (as am I... but I hate everyone... especially those ignorant white devils)

I can't tell if your being hypocritical or sarcastic.

QUOTE (Dohregard @ Aug 16 2009, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... but I hate everyone... especially those ignorant white devils

Thats racism. Unless you think racism is ok then your post would make some sense.

Dark.Matter

Dark.Matter
  • Members
  • 1,662 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Aug 16 2009, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plus, racism meant in good fun is still racism.

No it's not. Racism is simply a state of mind and belief that one race is superior or inferior to another. If it's just a joke or taking the piss out of someone, there's nothing wrong with that. Saying the word n igger is not racist in itself. It's just a word. Actually believing that n00bs are inferior is racist.

Edited by Dark.Matter, 16 August 2009 - 08:44 PM.

QUOTE (Dark.Matter @ Apr 23 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread delivers.

MaxDamage

MaxDamage

IRC Awards 2006: Friendliest | i r beefcaek. ph33r me!

• GA Private
  • 3,629 posts
  • xfire:maxdamagus
  • Interests:Rockin', art, gaming, listening to good music, etc...
  • Wii:will rock you
  • Gamer Army ID:108
QUOTE (Dark.Matter @ Aug 17 2009, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saying the word n igger is not racist in itself. It's just a word.

Naivety in extremis.

N**:
Used as a disparaging term for a Black person

It is racist in itself. That is it's defining purpose.

Edited by MaxDamage, 16 August 2009 - 11:44 PM.

UUr16xn.png
I don't need tattoos to look hard. I AM hard.

ya_ba

ya_ba

Best General Discushun Contributor | Also, do one!

• GA Private
  • 6,992 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in a lot of things buuuuuuut I'm not gonna list them, k? k ;D
  • Gamer Army ID:2645
QUOTE (MaxDamage @ Aug 17 2009, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Naivety in extremis.

N**:

<3

Also, it used to bother me - not anymore.

Dude.
yael.png

Dark.Matter

Dark.Matter
  • Members
  • 1,662 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
QUOTE (MaxDamage @ Aug 17 2009, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Naivety in extremis.

N**:

It wasn't always considered a derogatory word. It just got twisted into one
QUOTE (Dark.Matter @ Apr 23 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread delivers.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (ya_ba @ Aug 16 2009, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<3

Also, it used to bother me - not anymore.

This. I often think once you get satirized with all the hate people could have, smart people then realize that there is no reason running from it.

MaxDamage

MaxDamage

IRC Awards 2006: Friendliest | i r beefcaek. ph33r me!

• GA Private
  • 3,629 posts
  • xfire:maxdamagus
  • Interests:Rockin', art, gaming, listening to good music, etc...
  • Wii:will rock you
  • Gamer Army ID:108
QUOTE (Dark.Matter @ Aug 17 2009, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol!
Other way round, pal (assuming someone out there now actually equates the word with 'jolly decent chap').

UUr16xn.png
I don't need tattoos to look hard. I AM hard.

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
Some friends of mine had a black friend for a while and they'd make racist jokes (as jokes, of course) around him, and he'd be pretty cool with it. Maybe he was hiding his true feelings, but I was a little thrown back when one of them used the 'n' word around him without a reaction. Other than that, real life uses of racist words and stereotypes are usually taken seriously regardless of whether they're serious or not, in my experience.

On the internet I've seen it entirely different, though; it's almost like because nobody sees each other with the exception of webcam-chats, race becomes irrelevant. There's a racist joke thrown here and there, but I've rarely seen someone actually seriously discriminate against another race. As a moderator here, I take it more strictly because there are people who will take offense regardless of the tone of the use, but when I have no say in the matter, I tend to ignore it.

I was playing DOD:S a few years back, and one guy was being completely racist to someone who was half-black (don't ask, that's what he said), and the things he said made me feel sick because they were serious, they were crossing the line, and the victim was clearly taking offense.

On the whole, I tend not to take racist jokes very seriously online or offline. There are racist jokes for every race, and like with that friend I mentioned, humour can be the element that draws us together once we can all take a joke and separate it from SRS-FASCIST-BSNS. Isn't there a saying that says something like, "You only really get over something when you can laugh about it?"

StrikerZero

StrikerZero
  • Members
  • 818 posts
QUOTE (Jengerer @ Aug 18 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some friends of mine had a black friend for a while and they'd make racist jokes (as jokes, of course) around him, and he'd be pretty cool with it. Maybe he was hiding his true feelings, but I was a little thrown back when one of them used the 'n' word around him without a reaction. Other than that, real life uses of racist words and stereotypes are usually taken seriously regardless of whether they're serious or not, in my experience.

On the internet I've seen it entirely different, though; it's almost like because nobody sees each other with the exception of webcam-chats, race becomes irrelevant. There's a racist joke thrown here and there, but I've rarely seen someone actually seriously discriminate against another race. As a moderator here, I take it more strictly because there are people who will take offense regardless of the tone of the use, but when I have no say in the matter, I tend to ignore it.

I was playing DOD:S a few years back, and one guy was being completely racist to someone who was half-black (don't ask, that's what he said), and the things he said made me feel sick because they were serious, they were crossing the line, and the victim was clearly taking offense.

On the whole, I tend not to take racist jokes very seriously online or offline. There are racist jokes for every race, and like with that friend I mentioned, humour can be the element that draws us together once we can all take a joke and separate it from SRS-FASCIST-BSNS. Isn't there a saying that says something like, "You only really get over something when you can laugh about it?"

Honestly, must people don't take race as bad behind the camera, cause they are probably not expecting a person of a different race to be on the other side.Given that whites are the majority of gamers, It wouldn't be a huge surprise that because they are in a safety zone they would do it with out fear. They would say there jokes and not have 2 face persecution from reality. As such it can become a form of venting.

I'm mexican, and I get called Spic, Beaner, Illegal, brown dirty, and many others. Hell That's why I normally never divulge stuff like that unless this topic comes up, or if people I've been talking and might add 2 friends wonderin.

I've been called racist things both in game and in real life. Since I was a kid, Either way the words only give power if you by into it. Don't get me wrong the effect will always resonate regardless of how you take it, cause the words were created for one purpose, to be Derogatory.

The words weren't something that was twisted into something bad, like Gay which originally Happy (You can view old cartoons were it was used, where as today No cartoon would ever bring it up). The words have evolved from there original meaning which will never be lost into something more.

Self power (which is why some blacks call each other it, In order to take the White Mans word for hate, and make it theres), Joking To Satire common sterotypes/perceived race related quarks, Or just to saying what you mean and trying to make it funny.

The words are built for hate, nothing more nothingless. Despite people trying to make Jokes, sometimes teh jokes themselves leave more damage.

A little kid hears a adult joking that some black guy Stole my car while eating Watermelon, doesn't understand its just a joke, and its embedded into something more.

anyways. Racism on the net can both be a Joke, or a Huge foresight in a persons belief (As well as Comedy). A person faces no repercussions, No persecution (Aside from the 1s being made the joke), No negative feedback. He can say be himself and not have to face any of that.

Racist Jokes as a whole can perpetuate negative stereotypes, can show you a small view of a persons true beliefs, or can simply be a Naughty joke intended to be extremely risque on a very controversial subject that is still be debating constantly. While new woes come, this one has always stayed with us.

It also depends which side you are on.

Being black, white, mexican, Asain each carry its own Experience that the other race shall never understand. White people will never understand what being black in America is like. Blacks won't understand what being White in america is Like. Our Races will each have a effect on our life.

Now some will say "Oh that's bullshit", but its a harsh truth. Cause their will Always be some person, Some bussiness, Some prerequisite in every aspect of Life that a person won't live up to. Be it your Race, Religion, Gender or your Economical situation.

Race is a topic that covers so much stuff. Being down with your race, or selling out your race. Its harsh boundries that carry Harsh indictments from both sides.

anyways, I try and not let racism on the net or in real life phase me. Its a Illogical ideal that doesn't make Sense. We each are designed off the same template, and only thing makes us difference is our looks/skin which shouldn't have a baring on anything other then remembering our roots.

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
  • xfire:drippotaku
  • Steam ID:projecktcain
  • Xbox / GFWL:JReele
  • Gamer Army ID:3410
Political correctness is pure bullshit, not to mention an obvious guilt trip.

Fuck being correct, I say what I think.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

Yozki

Yozki
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • xfire:Yozki
  • Steam ID:Yozki
I only got really upset once, when I was 16 I think playing cs 1.6, like really crying of anger and hate, but that's because I was just starting to play online and the kids were actually trying to offend, it's never happened ever since and I don't mind the jokes at all now.

It's sad though watching the stereotypes come true so often.

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
I'm not particularly offended by it, but its kinda sad how its the very last resort of humour. People totally lacking in wit instead rely on arbitrary racism :/. That said, same goes for sex jokes.

Edited by Master C, 23 August 2009 - 08:29 AM.

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
QUOTE (Dark.Matter @ Aug 17 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You got it bassackwards. Negro was the common word back in the day for describing something black in color, for obvious reasons that's no longer the case today. However the slave owners and white racists started using fasc's whore as a slang word to demmoralize black people or whatever their twisted little fucked up minds thought. Eventually black people decided to start using the word amongst themselves to devalue the meaning of the word. So when they got called a fasc's whore, their response was "lol so what?"

I'm sure you can figure the rest out from there.

Stupid wordfilter.

Edited by Sir_Slik, 15 September 2009 - 06:28 PM.

The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

Kipzz

Kipzz
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,107 posts
  • xfire:luziferdeville
  • Interests:WoW, CoD4, EvE Online, Minecraft, whatever takes my fancy.
  • Steam ID:ppgaluzifer
  • Gamer Army ID:3590
  • Company:Pi
QUOTE (It's ME! @ Jun 5 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the internet shouldn't be taken personally

QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jun 5 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
racism on the internet is one of those things that is so fucking stupid that no one should even acknowledge it.

QUOTE (Dark.Matter @ Jun 5 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you get offended by internet 'racism', I'd imagine you have not experienced much actual racism in the real world. The vast majority of what goes on online is just joking/trolling, or insensitivity at worst.

QUOTE (Sir_Slik @ Aug 14 2009, 04:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't bother me, 99% of online racism is in a joking manner.

QUOTE (Jaylew @ Aug 23 2009, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Political correctness is pure bullshit, not to mention an obvious guilt trip.

Epic truths QFET.

Just my opinion.

Also I love saying "white power" and then explaining it to easily-offended ppls that I'm proud to be a white. I just keep pretending I'm talking about skin colour instead of my actual last name (white). Fucking hilarious.
QUOTE (Whiskerz @ Apr 23 2010, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried talking to a woman once, but it glitched and didn't give me any conversation options.

Dylantendo

Dylantendo
  • Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dylantendo
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
If someone says a racist slang in a game or whatever 99% of the time it's not because they hate black people or anything, its because it's an offensive word and it usually gets a reaction out of people. That and it's probably the only chance these people will get. It's usually 12 year old white boys trying to act tough, and if they said it somewhere in real life they would probably get the crap beat out of them.

zalzaron

zalzaron
  • Members
  • 214 posts
QUOTE (Dylantendo @ Oct 1 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If someone says a racist slang in a game or whatever 99% of the time it's not because they hate black people or anything, its because it's an offensive word and it usually gets a reaction out of people. That and it's probably the only chance these people will get. It's usually 12 year old white boys trying to act tough, and if they said it somewhere in real life they would probably get the crap beat out of them.

I find your statement racist!

firespot

firespot
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Video games, anime, suikoden, kya dark lineage,
I'm not sure what Hippophobicism is but I'm pretty sure you mean homophobia.

I myself don't see it much at all.

I'm gay but I am never called the F word. However one time I thought I was called the F word but they were actually talking about themselves. Another time I was called the F word even though I never said I was gay, but I just reported the post and now it's gone. It did hurt me, but not alot. I just needed to remember what my friend said, he said not to let other's words bother me and that it's just one person.

Edited by firespot, 04 March 2010 - 12:52 AM.

Kya Dark Lineage
K~Chat Advertising
http://s11.zetaboard...at_Advertising/

BAk99

BAk99
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Steam ID:BAk99
  • Xbox / GFWL:BAk99
  • PSN:BAk99
  • Wii:BAk99
A we situation I see on Rasicm.

The white man said, "Colored people are not allowed here." The black man turned around and stood up. He then said: "Listen sir....when I was born I was BLACK, " "When I grew up I was BLACK, " "When I"m sick I"m BLACK, " "When I go in the sun I"m BLACK, " "When I"m cold I"m BLACK, " "When I die I"ll be BLACK." "But you sir." "When you"re born you"re pink, " "When you grow up you"re white, " "When you"re sick, you"re green, " "When you go in the sun you turn red, " "When you"re cold you turn blue, " "And when you die you turn purple." "And you have the nerve to call me colored?" The black man then sat back down and the white man walked away....

"You And Your Wee Mousi Pads. Dual Analog Bitch!"
-RIP Troy [T-Bag] Dixon-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users