Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"violence Geeks"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss. I was recently shown an article about a demographic the author refers to as "violence geeks". This demographic is heavily marketed to by novelty weapons purveyors in real life and, of course, to a larger degree on the internet in western countries.

Here is the article:
Marc MacYoung's "Violence Geeks" Article

I'll extract a point I found particularly powerful.

Basically what they are selling is the idea that: If someone scares you, you can go absolutely monkey-poo on them using our super killer, commando, kung fu, ninja, street proven deadly, ultimate fighting system!. And you can fold spindle, maul and carve this evil person because it's ALLself-defense!

I'm on a mailing list for people who teach cops. Recently someone sent a link about a gadget called " THE WASP ". This doohickey is a violence geek's wet dream. It's not only a Rambo-style knife, but the handle holds a CO2 cartridge. Not only do you get to stab someone, but you release a fatal burst of freezing gas into his system. (Suuuuuure that's a useful feature).

... It's an item designed for killing people. Specifically, it is designed for murder. If you want to get technical, murdering unsuspecting people.

...The Wasp is NOT a negotiation tool or even an item to threaten. The added danger is hidden. Yet, it still has the limitations (specifically range) of a normal knife. And due to the construction modification, probably some limitations that make it useless as a tool. That means this blade is for walking up, ramming it in someone's back and assassinating him.

The idea is that Violence Geeks actively desire to enter into a scenario in which they (in their own minds) would be justified in righteously inflicting violence onto other human beings.

I both agree and disagree with the author of the article. I think that violence geeks take an impulse that most people bury and turn it into an unhealthy obsession, but I don't think they're particularly unique among obsessions (other than the fact it might end up causing someone else harm, where obsessions often only physically harm the obsessor). I feel that it's important to look at ourselves and watch out, to make sure we're not unconciously guiding ourselves toward a destructive path like the "violence geeks" mentioned in the article. And, of course, be safe!

Your Thoughts.

Edited by Pawnator, 01 June 2009 - 05:46 PM.

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Disturbing...How can they justify a weapon that can only kill, as a self defence tool? You have to reach a whole new level of self delusion.

Edited by Master C, 02 June 2009 - 06:26 AM.

Rob`

Rob`
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • xfire:noobnoobnoob1337
"Take American football, for example. Half the fun of watching the game is being with your friends, whether in the living room or tailgating it. (Want to know the best time to do your shopping? Go during the afternoon of Super Bowl Sunday. You'll feel like you've walked onto the set of I Am Legend.) This is a communal sense of fandom, one that brings people together and doesn't interfere with their normal functions in society."

"Second, he makes the choice to move into a 'world' populated with people similar to himself (i.e., social misfits). Together they create a self-isolating subculture. And this subculture serves as both a refuge from society AND reinforces the geeks' dysfunctional paradigms. You don't have to 'change' if -- where you hang out – that kind of thinking is 'normal.'"

So what I'm getting here is that watching football with friends is fine but playing games isn't because most people like football not gaming.

Perhaps if this signature is witty enough, someone will finally love me.

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
lol what?

Rob`

Rob`
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts
  • xfire:noobnoobnoob1337
well he was saying that doing something like watching football with your friends is fine but if you're doing something geeky and start to do geeky things with other geeks then its a problem

Perhaps if this signature is witty enough, someone will finally love me.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
The Rapper T.I got arrested because they found some unmarked, silenced uzis in his truck. You can't even say that they were for hunting, man, let alone self-defence.. I lol'd.

I was on the train a few months back and I overheard an argument between a bunch of noobs. One of them actually said, "nah bro, don't mess with this guy, he watches Dragon Ball Z, so he could definitely take you in a fight." I lol'd again...

It's ME!

It's ME!
  • GA Private
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Chewing bubble gum and kicking ass... and I'm all outta gum!
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:3318
  • Company:Alpha
QUOTE (j type @ Jun 3 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Rapper T.I got arrested because they found some unmarked, silenced uzis in his truck. You can't even say that they were for hunting, man, let alone self-defence.. I lol'd.

I was on the train a few months back and I overheard an argument between a bunch of noobs. One of them actually said, "nah bro, don't mess with this guy, he watches Dragon Ball Z, so he could definitely take you in a fight." I lol'd again...

/facepalm
this is just too fucking ridiculous. these people should really start a fight club. I've thought of starting a fight club, but not seriously enough.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (Rob` @ Jun 3 2009, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well he was saying that doing something like watching football with your friends is fine but if you're doing something geeky and start to do geeky things with other geeks then its a problem

His definition of geek is different than the one you're thinking of. He defines what he means earlier in the article.

This article also has nothing to do with gaming.

Starblaiz

Starblaiz

Here comes the sun!

• Global Mods - GA Brig. Genereral
  • 5,287 posts
  • Interests:Games (obviously :P ), Programming, Physics (especially Astrophysics)
  • Steam ID:virus52
  • Gamer Army ID:225
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (j type @ Jun 3 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...I was on the train a few months back and I overheard an argument between a bunch of noobs. One of them actually said, "nah bro, don't mess with this guy, he watches Dragon Ball Z, so he could definitely take you in a fight." I lol'd again...

seriously???

...like no...

SERIOUSLY?! dcolon.png

@OP - yeh that shit is pretty disgusting. As has been pointed out though this guys definition of "geek" is quite different from ours. We take "geek" to mean someone who is into science/IT/some related field and is usually quite knowledgeable about either sci-fi and/or anime and/or the internet. His definition is simply "someone who is obsessed with some niche method of thought".

But yeh generally - phail club is phail... icon_confused.gif

The B.I.V.

The B.I.V.
  • Members
  • 2,587 posts
  • xfire:Balls!!!
  • Interests:Urban Rivals (online CCG), Writing, Zero Hour, Dawn o' War, CS:Source, Snowboarding/Waterskiing, Family man with wife and 6 lil ones. Favorite music artists (In no particular order): Chris Isaak, The Corrs, Bone Thugs N Harmony, The Donnas, Eminem, Pam Tillis. NBA B-ball (Go Jazz!).
  • Xbox / GFWL:Sux
  • PSN:Mah
  • Wii:Console
  • Rofl-Rupees:15
This reminds me of the "Good Times With Weapons" episode of Southpark...

Brandon

Edited by The B.I.V., 04 June 2009 - 01:54 PM.

sigs SUCK!
I'm HipHoppa in Urban Rivals, the greatest, free-est online CCG EVAR!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users