Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ease Of Build?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • xfire:tehlonginator
  • Xbox / GFWL:teh longinator
I'm a gamer (Xbox 360), interested in getting back into PC.... Used to be hardcore into Starcraft, Diablo, and Guild Wars...

Anywho, I want to build my own PC over the summer, but before I invest the money in it (parts aren't cheap, afterall), I just wanted to know how hard it is to build a PC for someone who has never done it before... And furthermore, if there are any tips that are of use to a n00b.

Slinky

Slinky
  • Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • Steam ID:frosticle
  • PSN:slinkytoyou
Easy as.
Familiarize yourself with the parts, rtfm, and don't submerged in water.

QUOTE (BearHugger @ Jan 10 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont respondd cause i have a life my girlfriend came over and she sucked me off

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
QUOTE (Slinky @ May 16 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Easy as.
Familiarize yourself with the parts, rtfm, and don't submerged in water.

rtfm? lol and no, I hear water is the enemy of electronics icon_razz.gif

But like, if I use a step-by-step from google, on a scale of 1-10, 1 being hard, 10 being easy... what are we talking? a 7?

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
we're talking about a 10 - maximum easiness

everything basically fits together like legos - they have made the whole process foolproof, and most connectors cannot physically be inserted any way but the right way.

sometimes certain parts may be broken, though this is rare. most of your troubles, if you even have any (and most people never do), will be with getting the system up and running from a software perspective, and we can all help you with that icon_smile.gif

rtfm = read the fucking manual

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
QUOTE (DHC @ May 16 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we're talking about a 10 - maximum easiness

everything basically fits together like legos - they have made the whole process foolproof, and most connectors cannot physically be inserted any way but the right way.

sometimes certain parts may be broken, though this is rare. most of your troubles, if you even have any (and most people never do), will be with getting the system up and running from a software perspective, and we can all help you with that icon_smile.gif

rtfm = read the fucking manual

Is there actually a manual for actually putting it together. I only ask because if it fits together like lego, I don't want to put the blue block in before the red block if it means I can't put the white one in after. Basically, I don't want to find out afterwards that I'm screwed if I don't follow the correct build order.

CapnCrunch53

CapnCrunch53
  • Members
  • 243 posts
  • xfire:capncrunch53
  • Interests:Stargate, BSG, my computer :D, aviation
  • Steam ID:t3h_h3r0_0f_t1m3
Well there's a basic set of guidelines, like install the cpu on the motherboard before you put it in the case, but nothing as drastic as what you said. Really the hardest part is not building the machine itself, but installing all the software and drivers and making sure everything is set up right from a software standpoint. In my opinion at least.

Just search for a building a pc guide on google, and remember we're always here to answer your questions too.

Pegasus: Phenom II X4 920 @ 3.5GHz | XSPC Rasa | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB OCZ Platinum 1066MHz DDR2 | HIS HD6870 1GB @ 975/1120 | OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Corsair HX1000 | NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black | Win7 x64 Ultimate
Prometheus: C2D E8400 @ 3.6GHz | Corsair H70 | MSI P7N SLI Platinum | 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz DDR2 | 2xEVGA 8800GT 512MB (SLI) @ 650/1620/950 | OCZ Agility 2 60GB | 2x250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RAID0 | Corsair HX850 | CoolerMaster 692 Advanced | Win7 x64 Ultimate

Smokey

Smokey
  • Members
  • 3,394 posts
  • xfire:smokeymcfuzz
most new motherboards come with a quick-type guide to help you put together the PC, same with the case too if you get a new case.
sup

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
QUOTE (CapnCrunch53 @ May 16 2009, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well there's a basic set of guidelines, like install the cpu on the motherboard before you put it in the case, but nothing as drastic as what you said. Really the hardest part is not building the machine itself, but installing all the software and drivers and making sure everything is set up right from a software standpoint. In my opinion at least.

Just search for a building a pc guide on google, and remember we're always here to answer your questions too.

Sweet. I was talking to my buddy at work tonight about building a PC, and he says that the whole installing the OS thing is the hardest part.... says that most of the drives (minus the video card) are Plug and Play these days. So that should cut the software aspect in half.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
The mobo manual covers most of it, and so does common sense. Also, I reccomend installing Widnows 7 RC if you want to ease the Software side of things.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ May 17 2009, 04:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The mobo manual covers most of it, and so does common sense. Also, I reccomend installing Widnows 7 RC if you want to ease the Software side of things.

Mobo? And what is Windows 7 RC? What's it cost icon_razz.gif

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (teh_longinator @ May 17 2009, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mobo? And what is Windows 7 RC? What's it cost icon_razz.gif

Mobo is an abbreviation of Motherboard, the component off of which most other components hang.

Re: Windows 7 RC - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Windows+7+RC

Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

Best Returning Member 08

• Banned
  • 2,309 posts

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

Video and text guide. I built my first one after watching a guy do it. No step by step guides or anything, i had problems but everyone always does.
Anyway to delete this account? I wont be back so let Cm die please sir. If i come back it will be unknown to you and everyone else.

It would be awesome if you could kill Morgan though.

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
Yeah and guess what encountering problems and fixing them makes you LEARN things.

NO WAI!

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
Get all your fans in first.

Next put the PSU in.

Install the cpu into your motherboard, be gentle with the cpu and line the arrow on one of the corners of the cpu to the corner with an arrow engraved on the cpu slot (make sure the slots arm is up before putting the cpu in) when you are certain it is lined up correctly (it will fall into place if you have it in right) push the arm back down securing the cpu in place. Then put the cpu cooler on the cpu, press firmly to get make sure the thermal paste gets good contact with the cooler. After you have done this avoid any twisting of the cooler so you dont distort the thermal paste. Secure the cooler with the latches. Plug the cpu cooler fan into the power connector on the mobo ( your manual will tell you where it is and is usually called J1 ) After all that lay the case on its side and get the mother in place making sure everything lines up ( Again be gentle dont force anything this is by far the trickiest part of building as mobo/cpu is very fragile) screw everything down lighty and then go back torque down the screws like you would on a car tire so the motherboard stays straight throughout the process.

After your motherboard is in and screwed down, carefully plug your PSU power connector to the motherboard. It can only go in one way so dont force it.

Next install your ram, be gentle and ram can only fit in one way so dont force it. Make sure the ram clips are open before installing the ram into the slots. You should put ram in side by side slots in most cases... most motherboards are color coded. Refer to your motherboards manual to find out which ram should go in which slot to enable dual channel mode.

Install your dvd/cd rom drives next (pretty simple and requires no real explaination)

Install your harddrives ( place them in the cage to get the ideal amount of air from your front intake fan )

Wire up your harddrives and dvd rom drives and try to tuck the cables away. (Refer to the mobo manual if you have trouble figuring out which cable goes where)

Next find the cables coming from the front power button of the computer ( a little tricky this part is ) and get your mobo manual. Find out how each connector on the cable goes to which pins, you'll have to test this after everything is installed to find out if you did it right. This controls the front power button, the reset button ( if you have one ) and the hd led light on the front of the case, and speaker if you have one / care to set it up.

Install your video card, make sure the slots clip is open before trying to install the card. Be gentle, you dont want a broken transistor. Hook up any extra power your card needs from the PSU.

Install your sound card if you get one, all mobo's come with onboard sound for the most part.

After that its pretty much just testing to make sure you got all your cables hooked up right and you're done building it.

Avoid doing this over carpet, it is best done in the kitchen or anywhere un-carpeted as static discharge can and will kill parts

If you do not have a static wristband to ground you, touch the metal frame of the case each time before picking up a part / working around the parts

That's it, after that install your OS and drivers your parts came with. Update the drivers online and you're done.

The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
The best order of installation tends to vary per build of course.. I personally just try to get as much wires tucked in before the actual hardware icon_smile.gif

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
if you fuck up a PC build now a days, you pretty much fail at life.

the only hard part really is the CPU heatsync, but all you really gotta do is rtfm

flamefleir

flamefleir
  • Members
  • 197 posts
http://www.ultimatec...e...p?f=5&t=225

my first build was a little hassle for me cuz im dumb but probably an easy ass problem normal ppl couldve figured out themselves on the first try. after completing my build i realized it was a lot easier than i thought and had a great feeling of accomplishment, and every time i turn my on pc i feel good about it because i built it myself.

i look at my pc inside and out and gaze at the blue LED fans i installed every time i turn it on. parts for pc are actually cheap depending on what u buy and where, plus custom building is hella lot cheaper than buying retail. read the manuals of the parts and use commen sense and youll be fine

Edited by flamefleir, 17 May 2009 - 04:27 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/user/flamefleir
http://us.battle.net...oukoku/advanced
http://us.battle.net...achine/advanced
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Jun 23 2010, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol @ these noobs who don't know who flamefleir is.

SorrowNight

SorrowNight
  • Banned
  • 1,609 posts
  • xfire:Sorrownite
If you actually DO get stuck at some point, just use the computer you're on now to get help here.

TEH PuBLIK ENEMI

TEH PuBLIK ENEMI
  • Members
  • 930 posts
  • xfire:retardlad
  • Xbox / GFWL:Xx Blooddrunken
Lets just say that when I built my first PC my Mobo manual became my new bible.

The only thing that somebody could really screw up on is forgetting the standoffs (if your a first timer) and maybe getting your HSF seated correctly. Pretty much all your headaches will come from software issues when building a PC.

raw_genesis

raw_genesis

The Flaming Homo of the year '09

• Members
  • 3,655 posts
  • xfire:rawgenesis
  • Interests:the ladies ;D
  • Steam ID:raw_genesis
  • Xbox / GFWL:ex bawks
  • PSN:pee ess tripple
  • Wii:Weeeeeeee!!!
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
I find that most mistakes people make is not in the build but in the buying parts, such as people buying DDR3 ram and a DDR2 mobo, or 2 sata HDD's and a sata optical drive with a mobo that only has 2 sata ports, or a giant video card and a case thats too small to fit it etc... as long as you buy the right shit it usualy goes together easy.

QUOTE (Shaun. @ Apr 28 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AAAAA+++++++++++++++ GREAT SERVICE AND GOOD PACKAGE. WOULD BANG AGAIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users