Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ease Of Build?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

hurrp durrp

hurrp durrp
  • Banned
  • 122 posts
when i build systems i do it in this order,
put CPU in mobo, put the ram and heatsink on aswell.
MAKE SURE THAT THE STANDOFFS ARE IN THE CASE!!!!!!!!!!
put the mobo in the case,
power supply, hard disks, dvd drive in the case.
put the graphics card in then case fans
plug everything in.

Kazzerax

Kazzerax

FUCK!

• Retired Staff
  • 4,859 posts
  • xfire:kazzerax
  • Interests:Counter-Strike, Chess, computer hardware, music, literature, film and philosophy.
  • Steam ID:kazzerax
  • Gamer Army ID:764
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.
Kazzerax
MOTHERFUCKING ENTITY OF THE WORLD
A PORTION OF GLORIOUS THOUGHT
ELECTRICITY SHAPED TO REASON
FORGED THROUGH THE FIRES OF LIFE
BROUGHT TO BEAR ON CHAOS TO IMPOSE WILL UPON AN UNCARING AND INDIFFERENT UNIVERSE
TO FORGE FROM NOTHING, SOMETHING
Beautiful

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

sig'd.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
  • xfire:tehlonginator
  • Xbox / GFWL:teh longinator
QUOTE (Sir_Slik @ May 20 2009, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1st mistake: Rushing into buying stuff

2nd mistake: Not looking at newegg

3rd mistake: Not listening to the PC guru's (aka weiman)

4th mistake: Asking store employees for advice on what to buy

5th mistake: Not reading the various guides posted in this thread

6th mistake: Not researching the hardware you bought (aka reviews)

Learn from them.

I'm learning, I'm learning. Now..... before I make mistake #7.... whats a mobo standoff? My case didn't come with any, my mobo didn't come with any.... and I've heard attaching teh mobo to the case directly is a no-go.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (teh_longinator @ May 21 2009, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm learning, I'm learning. Now..... before I make mistake #7.... whats a mobo standoff? My case didn't come with any, my mobo didn't come with any.... and I've heard attaching teh mobo to the case directly is a no-go.

A mobo standoff is a sort of screw that screws (surprisingly) into your case and then let's you fix the motherboard to the standoffs, instead of the case itself. This keeps the necessary separation between your mobo and your case, which prevents any short-circuits from occuring.

They are also known as motherboard 'risers' and should come with your mobo when you purchased it.

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
QUOTE (j type @ May 21 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A mobo standoff is a sort of screw that screws (surprisingly) into your case and then let's you fix the motherboard to the standoffs, instead of the case itself. This keeps the necessary separation between your mobo and your case, which prevents any short-circuits from occuring.

They are also known as motherboard 'risers' and should come with your mobo when you purchased it.

I didn't notice any. I'll have a look when I get home.

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
id be VERY surprised if they didnt come with your case

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
Some cases have them preinstalled, but they should come with your motherboard. See? This is what happens when you listen to store employees.
The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
QUOTE (Sir_Slik @ May 21 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some cases have them preinstalled, but they should come with your motherboard. See? This is what happens when you listen to store employees.

I got the case second-hand from some no-name store.... and I took out the motherboard and looked at the bottom.... there are some weird plastic "posts" coming out the bottom. Could those be like standoffs? Or do I gotta go purchase some today? icon_razz.gif

hurrp durrp

hurrp durrp
  • Banned
  • 122 posts
QUOTE (teh_longinator @ May 21 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got the case second-hand from some no-name store.... and I took out the motherboard and looked at the bottom.... there are some weird plastic "posts" coming out the bottom. Could those be like standoffs? Or do I gotta go purchase some today? icon_razz.gif

they look like them, they might be plastic.

they stick out of the motherboard tray, if some are missing you should buy more. they arent expensive.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (teh_longinator @ May 21 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are these just holes or an actual 'bubble' with a screwhole in it for the lack of a better word.. To check if it works, put the mobo I/O shield in the case, place the mobo inside and see if it lines up with the I/O shield. It if it doesn't, get your ass back to the store for some mobo standoffs.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ May 21 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are these just holes or an actual 'bubble' with a screwhole in it for the lack of a better word.. To check if it works, put the mobo I/O shield in the case, place the mobo inside and see if it lines up with the I/O shield. It if it doesn't, get your ass back to the store for some mobo standoffs.

If by "I/O shield", I assume you mean that part with all the parts coming out for it for the stuff to plug into icon_razz.gif.... but yeah, it's able to go into it. And there arent any holes.... or screwholes, in these plastic things.... theyre just there.

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
Okay, it appears (after looking at it again), that some small standoffs would be quite appreciated by my motherboard. I have 5 from my brother's old Dell. Will that be sufficient? Any specific place they need to be placed?

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
you need 9 of them.

as for where they should be placed, try giving it a minute of thought icon_wink.gif they have to be placed in the holes corresponding to the holes in the motherboard, so you can put a screw through the mobo into the standoff

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
QUOTE (DHC @ May 21 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you need 9 of them.

as for where they should be placed, try giving it a minute of thought icon_wink.gif they have to be placed in the holes corresponding to the holes in the motherboard, so you can put a screw through the mobo into the standoff

That would make sense... it did seem weird that some screws went in while others didnt icon_razz.gif

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
Well when I say preinstalled, you will see those bubbles with screw holes on them with a special lining. If you dont see those and its all just flat with holes, you need standoffs and yes the plastic things are standoffs... no idea if dell standoffs would fit anything but dell stuff, but if it works it works.

Edited by Sir_Slik, 22 May 2009 - 09:43 AM.

The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

teh_longinator

teh_longinator
  • Members
  • 201 posts
QUOTE (Sir_Slik @ May 22 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well when I say preinstalled, you will see those bubbles with screw holes on them with a special lining. If you dont see those and its all just flat with holes, you need standoffs and yes the plastic things are standoffs... no idea if dell standoffs would fit anything but dell stuff, but if it works it works.

Dell did the "Dell" thing, and only gave me 5 standoffs. I'm just gonna go get some today after class. I thought they had a special place on the case, I didn't know they slip in where the screws go lmao.

Poop... there's 2 sizes of standoffs. I didn't even think to measure before I left my house today icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users