Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Swine Flu Being Blown Out Of Proportion?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Dylantendo

Dylantendo
  • Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dylantendo
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
What do you guys think about this Swine Flu? It's been on everyones mind for the past few days, but are we blowing it out of proportion? There have only been a few hundred deaths, and most of them in Mexico. As of now there has been one death reported in the states. Of course there have been reports of this flu all over the world, and the numbers continue to grow each day. Yet each year hundreds of thousands die from every day flu strains.

Personally I think that this actually a pretty big deal. Sure it's not that big now, but to me it sounds like it's pretty contagious. I only see this thing getting worse, and I would not doubt at all that this could turn into a pandemic. I mean, look at the precautions countries are already taking. Cuba has already banned flights to and from mexico, Egypt is having all their pigs killed, countries are stocking up on Tamiflu. The list goes on.

So what are your guys thoughts? Do you think there is too much hype? Or are we not concerned enough?

Extracheez

Extracheez
  • Members
  • 1,042 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:xExtracheeZx
I don't watch the news anymore because I'm sick of them blowing things out of proportion.

Honestly the mass media could make people think donuts are evil if they tried hard enough.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
as it affects bacon, it is of the utmost importance to me
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 29 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as it affects bacon, it is of the utmost importance to me

As far as I know, you can't get it from eating pork

And yeah, this is going to kill us all in the same way that mad cow disease and bird flu were going to kill us all

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
According to the news I saw yesterday, there are probably only 7 recorded deaths in mexico. Over there they have no real way of distinguishing between swine flu or normal flu. So yes its definately been blown out of proportion, I particularly love how Gordon Brown is using this to throw attention off his incompetent management of our economy.

Edited by Master C, 29 April 2009 - 10:30 AM.

CaptainBaconMan

CaptainBaconMan
  • GA Private
  • 558 posts
  • xfire:nintendohead2003
  • Interests:Mountain Boarding, Drawing, Swimming, Hiking, Gaming, Amateur Computer Construction, Particle Physics, Chemistry, Theoretical Physics, Ultimate, Airsoft, Percussion, Professional Rescue, White Water Rafting and Kayaking, Graphic Design, Software, and Music (I'll listen to pretty much anything).
  • Steam ID:CaptainBaconMan
  • PSN:Captain-BaconMan
  • Wii:7212264688885515
  • Gamer Army ID:4445
  • Company:India
From what I know, yes, it's blown out of proportion. The only people dieing are in Mexico City, the source, and those people were either old, or had some kind of immunodeficiency. That, and the people aren't dieing from the disease itself, but after they get it, they catch pneumonia. That's what kills them, if your in a further developed country you have no need to worry.

QUOTE (Dylantendo @ Feb 25 2010, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What?! An unrealistic video game?? That's absurd!

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
The reason the cdc and such are so hyped up about it is it is a new virus and there's no 100% certainty on what it will do... but everyone could take a damn good guess that its just the flu that happened to come from pigs and there isn't much cause for concern and they'd probably be right.
The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

CaptainBaconMan

CaptainBaconMan
  • GA Private
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Boarding, Drawing, Swimming, Hiking, Gaming, Amateur Computer Construction, Particle Physics, Chemistry, Theoretical Physics, Ultimate, Airsoft, Percussion, Professional Rescue, White Water Rafting and Kayaking, Graphic Design, Software, and Music (I'll listen to pretty much anything).
We were actually talking about it at lunch today, we did some simple math and figured out that it actually has a lower fatality rate than the regular flu.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Sir_Slik @ Apr 30 2009, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The reason the cdc and such are so hyped up about it is it is a new virus and there's no 100% certainty on what it will do... but everyone could take a damn good guess that its just the flu that happened to come from pigs and there isn't much cause for concern and they'd probably be right.

This.

It isn't the CDC's fault for blowing it up; you can blame anything to do with fact manipulation on the media.

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
imho the australian government is fucking making this sound like a zombie apocalypse. i read on MX newspaper (1st page btw) that some governor is advising us to stock up on frozen food and canned food to last atleast 2 weeks some time in the near future. and all this talk about increasing phase 3 to 5 shit... phase 5 just means that it can transmit from human to human, it doesnt mean we're all gunna get fucked right this second.

i guess in a way though, the government has no choice but to make it sound bad just to cover their arses should the need arise. the media are fags though.

CaptainBaconMan

CaptainBaconMan
  • GA Private
  • 558 posts

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
QUOTE (CaptainBaconMan @ May 1 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it got upped to 5 I think in WI. 5 people have it here! I think technically I'm already considered an acceptable loss...
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

ArmoredSandwich

ArmoredSandwich
  • Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • xfire:unseendevil
QUOTE (Dylantendo @ Apr 29 2009, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you guys think about this Swine Flu? It's been on everyones mind for the past few days, but are we blowing it out of proportion? There have only been a few hundred deaths, and most of them in Mexico. As of now there has been one death reported in the states. Of course there have been reports of this flu all over the world, and the numbers continue to grow each day. Yet each year hundreds of thousands die from every day flu strains.

Personally I think that this actually a pretty big deal. Sure it's not that big now, but to me it sounds like it's pretty contagious. I only see this thing getting worse, and I would not doubt at all that this could turn into a pandemic. I mean, look at the precautions countries are already taking. Cuba has already banned flights to and from mexico, Egypt is having all their pigs killed, countries are stocking up on Tamiflu. The list goes on.

So what are your guys thoughts? Do you think there is too much hype? Or are we not concerned enough?

It's not what it is now (new and unknown) it is what is becomes when it mutates to something more dangerous.

Of course it's over-hyped, as everything is now a days is, but there's nothing wrong with preparation and stalling (to research it further).

There must be some kind of way out of here...

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
QUOTE (CaptainBaconMan @ Apr 30 2009, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it actually has a lower fatality rate than the regular flu.

Exactly, the 'media' seem to be conveniently forgetting that thousands of people die each year of 'regular' flu anyway.

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
QUOTE (j type @ May 1 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly, the 'media' seem to be conveniently forgetting that thousands of people die each year of 'regular' flu anyway.

The media hasn't forgotten that, its all the tools watching the media that forget that.

The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
It's the media blowing everything out of proportion like usual.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
QUOTE (Sir_Slik @ May 1 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The media hasn't forgotten that, its all the tools watching the media that forget that.

Hence the wrapping of the word 'media' in apostrophes. icon_smile.gif

exterminator321

exterminator321
  • Members
  • 1,214 posts
  • xfire:exterminator321
In half a year I can see the government putting in Martial law and enforcing a curfew and whatnot to "protect" us. And the way things are going I can see that happening, people are actually getting pretty scared here, there were letters sent out in school saying that this was serious and what we can do. Seriously if this does become a serious issue, then fuck it, if our society is fucked then me being scared isn't going to unfuck it or make it better, it'll just make the time that I'm still living a lot shittier.
IPB Image

Campcash

Campcash
  • Members
  • 54 posts
QUOTE (Xayun @ Apr 30 2009, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And yeah, this is going to kill us all in the same way that mad cow disease and bird flu were going to kill us all

This.
Just wait a few months or something and everyone would have forgotten about it, bird flu was supposed to make the earth disintegrate but no, it's forgotten now pretty much.

richmeister

richmeister
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts
  • xfire:richmeister6666
QUOTE (exterminator321 @ May 1 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In half a year I can see the government putting in Martial law and enforcing a curfew and whatnot to "protect" us. And the way things are going I can see that happening, people are actually getting pretty scared here, there were letters sent out in school saying that this was serious and what we can do. Seriously if this does become a serious issue, then fuck it, if our society is fucked then me being scared isn't going to unfuck it or make it better, it'll just make the time that I'm still living a lot shittier.

That wont happen, RL isnt like a George Orwell novel... people have brains, suprisingly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users